shape
carat
color
clarity

Padparadscha engagement ring

picklecat

Rough_Rock
I'm so excited! I've always loved pads, and now I'm getting one for my e-ring. I know the stone I chose isn't the most desireable color for pads, but I was looking specifically for a paler shade, closer to morganite than the hot, saturated orange pinks I typically see. It's the larger one on the bottom:

09212011333.jpg

09212011332.jpg

What do you all think? I'm no gem expert, so it looks good to me. Anything you think I should watch out for? I see a bit of a window, but I'm hoping it'll close up once I put it in a setting. I'm consider a setting from ebay, like this one from leejewelry, but with rose gold prongs: http://www.ebay.com/itm/pear-6x8mm-14K-Multi-Tone-Gold-DIAMOND-SEMI-MOUNT-RING-/180728486544?pt=Diamond_Solitaire_with_Accents&hash=item2a1441da90#ht_5237wt_905

It's certified unheated and untreated from Sri Lanka, about 1.4 carats and just a tad bigger than 6x8mm.

My original inspiration came from this ring on etsy: http://www.etsy.com/listing/78011738/the-pear-alencon-lace-sparkler-morganite?ref=sc_1

I am rather suspicious, though, that the settings are SO similar, yet there is such a difference in price. I suspect the etsy seller just buys his settings from leejewelry, throws a stone in it, and marks it up 500%!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wondering about the sapphire - which lab gave their opinion that it is untreated? When you place the pear between your fingers on the back of your hand, does the window become less apparent? If so, then it will close up nicely once set.

picklecat

Rough_Rock
"Global Gem Testing Laboratory". I don't know how reputable that is - fingers crossed it really is what it says it is! It doesn't say not treated, but rather that there is no evidence of heat treating.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry to say I've never heard of the lab. No evidence of heat treating means that the lab suspects the stone has not undergone heat treatment.

picklecat

Rough_Rock
Should I be concerned that the cert is from an unknown lab?

I bought the stone online from a well-regarded vendor who specializes in untreated stones.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes - the report really doesn't tell you anything.

There are only a few labs that can detect BE diffusion for example. As this is being sold as a Padparadscha then I'm making a big assumption that the selling price is fairly high also? If so, I would insist on another lab report.

The window looks fairly big. I doubt whether that will close up unless you get a setting with a fairly closed basket. The setting you've linked to has a reasonably closed basket and that will definitely help but I'm not sure it'll diminish it enough.

BTW there are a number of Etsy sellers who buy from the Ebay setting vendors and then sell as their own. If you have a local jeweller I would cut out the middle man and order direct from Ebay and get it set.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
picklecat|1317054711|3025897 said:
"Global Gem Testing Laboratory". I don't know how reputable that is - fingers crossed it really is what it says it is! It doesn't say not treated, but rather that there is no evidence of heat treating.

I'm semi familar with that lab from living overseas in Japan the last few years. If I remember correctly that lab is out of Thailand and does mostly Thai companies that cater to tourist that buy gemstones and jewelry in Thailand. This is just my personal opinion but that lab report you have is probably not extensive by any means and it would be better to get an AGL report for your security.

Just an example my friend who vacationed in Thailand bought what she thought was a .76ct ruby certed by GGTL and when she had it tested by AGL it came back red/orange spinel. I'm not sure if that was a huge mistake or exactly what as I never followed up with her- that is why I would be extra cautious.

picklecat

Rough_Rock
Selling price was reasonable (at least I thought so - $2k). I do intend on having it evaluated by AGL since you've brought it up.

When held between my fingers, the window isn't very apparent, though I think it's because of my skintone being fairly close to the color of the stone!

I think I will order from that ebay seller - I've search the PS forums and he seems to have a fairly good reputation here.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well the price will be reasonable if it's an untreated Padparadscha. If it's a sapphire (not a Pad) and it's heated/treated in any way then IMO it's fairly expensive. Looking onthe bleak side, do you have a returns period in case the report isn't favourable? If so, I would contact the seller, explain that you're shipping the gem to AGL and if the report is different from how it's been sold, you'd like your money back but you may be outside their return period because of the time to ship/test etc. If they're a reputable vendor then I'm sure they will be happy to extend the returns period for you.

I would hold off buying the setting until you've got the report. If it comes back as a sapphire but not a Padparadscha would you want to keep it? If yes, then buying a setting isn't so much of a risk but I'd be tempted to wait.

Good luck and please let us know what happens.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
First, pads shouldn't be too saturated so don't worry about that.

If the lab report says that there is no evidence of heat-treatment then that is as good as you get. Lab reports are opinions, not guarantees. If the lab has seen enough to believe that the stone is unheated (heat will change inclusions etc) then you don't need to worry about Be diffusion as this can only be done in conjunction with high heat.

It's not a lab I am familiar with, I'll do a bit of research and see what I can find on them.

As LD says, putting the stone between 2 fingers on the back of your hand will show whether the window will close up or not.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pandora - have you seen Sarahbear's post above? Using that lab would concern me for something like a sapphire/Padparadscha.

picklecat

Rough_Rock
I'm not that caught up on the name "padparadscha", since the color was exactly what I was looking for. Most pink sapphires I see lean towards a cool, blue tinted kind of pink, and this is a warm pink with a tinge of orange/brown. That's padparadscha enough for me. I am more concerned that it is unheated, untreated, and a sapphire.

Either way there's no rush to get the ring done. Good things come to those who wait :)

Also the vendor, Ed from Wildfish Gems, has been more than accommodating to me thus far, so I don't anticipate any problems from his end.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
LovingDiamonds|1317067048|3026090 said:
Pandora - have you seen Sarahbear's post above? Using that lab would concern me for something like a sapphire/Padparadscha.

The actual lab is a potential issue - but the wording on any report will say 'no evidence of heat-treatment' or similar which is what I was trying to explain.

Having seen that Ed is the vendor, I would feel very happy and very certain that the stone is 100% a sapphire.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Got to admit that if this has come from Ed, I'm a lot happier too. However, I would still get it checked out (no disrespect to Ed) but I'd like the comfort of a recognised lab report.

It's interesting how differently we perceive colours (always a good debate on this forum) because I see quite a lot of violet in your stone and it was the first thought I had when I looked at the photos!

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty stone and setting! Unfortunately, I don't know much about grading so I don't have anything to add on that...

picklecat

Rough_Rock
It looks quite violet tinged on my laptop too, but this picture was taken with my crappy cellphone :razz: In real life, it's a baby pink shade. My idea of a padparadscha sapphire is less Sri Lankan sunset, and more like the blush of color on the tips of a lotus blossom like this:

pink_lotus_blossom-dsc01488-a1-wp.jpg

fussykiki

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations! I love that pink!

picklecat

Rough_Rock
How is this window closing up, you think? And what color setting do you think would be most flattering - white, yellow or rose? Leaning towards all rose-gold myself now...

Incandescent light:
IMG_2669.jpg

IMG_2670.jpg

By the window, natural light:
IMG_2675.jpg

IMG_2678.jpg

Ambient, mixed natural and indoor lighting:
IMG_2687.jpg

Also, there's a small scratch on the pavillion of the stone that I just discovered. It's not huge, but it reflects about through the facets and looks like an inclusion. Not very deep, but enough to catch a fingernail on. Can a scratch like that typically be easily polished out?

IMG_2712.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm going to be honest and say that the window isn't closing up (unfortunately). It may do a little more in a setting but I'm doubtful. However, sometimes the unexpected happens. The thing that's important is do you love it even with the window and can you live with the window. If yes, then keep the stone. IF you have any hesitation, please don't keep it because in the future it may be REALLY annoy you! Little niggles sometimes grow to huge issues!

As far as the nick on the pavillion, it's not easy to see if it could be polished out but I suspect that taking anything away near to the culet will only affect the window negatively. However, why don't you ask Ed because he has seen this stone and will know best.

picklecat

Rough_Rock
The window really doesn't bother me that much; I don't think it's awful, just a tad distracting. (I'm actually more distracted by the bit of bowtie-ing I see.) I'm very much in love with the color and the size though!

I did email Ed about the scratch; he says it's actually a crystal edge. Not a huge deal, it looked worse because I was scraping at it with a nail and managed to get some dirt wedged in, which made it look worse than it really was. When clean, it's not very noticeable.

T

talamasca

It's a lovely colour and size, but I would say that if you have ANY doubts at all then send it back and continue looking because, if you're anything like me, you may end up focusing on the things you don't like more than those that you do!

picklecat

Rough_Rock
Dredging this post back up from the dead for a quickie update - I sent it to AGL, and it came back certified as a no-heat, natural pad :) Can't wait to get it set...

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
That's wonderful! I'll look forward to seeing how you set this.

Edward Bristol

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Sarahbear621|1317059832|3025990 said:

Just an example my friend who vacationed in Thailand bought what she thought was a .76ct ruby certed by GGTL and when she had it tested by AGL it came back red/orange spinel. I'm not sure if that was a huge mistake or exactly what as I never followed up with her- that is why I would be extra cautious.

Thank you, picklecat, for taking the time to tell us that AGL confirmed GGTL.

I do know GGTL quite well and let me say: They are Ex-AIGS staff doing a very good job for not too expensive reports. They are very careful with their reputation and do no favors. They started just few years ago with brand new equipment and all AIGS know-how and I have fullest respect for what they do.

It is pretty much impossible that they have mistaken a spinel for ruby. Sorry, the fraud in that story must have happened somewhere else in the supply chain. They will not miss heat, BE or synthetics and for that they are perfectly fine.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Edward Bristol|1322738409|3072134 said:
Sarahbear621|1317059832|3025990 said:

Thank you, picklecat, for taking the time to tell us that AGL confirmed GGTL.

I do know GGTL quite well and let me say: They are Ex-AIGS staff doing a very good job for not too expensive reports. They are very careful with their reputation and do no favors. They started just few years ago with brand new equipment and all AIGS know-how and I have fullest respect for what they do.

It is pretty much impossible that they have mistaken a spinel for ruby. Sorry, the fraud in that story must have happened somewhere else in the supply chain. They will not miss heat, BE or synthetics and for that they are perfectly fine.

Just saw this...yes the fraud was from the store. I did follow up with her awhile ago and asked about it. She didnt' have a lot of information only that the store in Thailand wouldn't aknowledge their mistake and definitely sold her something that wasn't a ruby. It was not fault of the lab as the memo from the lab didn't match the stone that was sold.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results