shape
carat
color
clarity

Padparadascha gemstone window reasons and best setting to resolve

erose

Rough_Rock
Hi this comes with a certificate that it is indeed this gemstone I’m wondering if it’s the window is because of the cut and how light the color is and some lights I see pink lavender and other lights I see flex of pink and orange but then I have an other lights a washout and I can see right through looks like a window I’m trying to figure out the best setting to close this up and enhance the color of this gemstone I am attaching pictures of how the gemstone was cut if any suggestions on how this is resolved if it Canby and has anybody encountered this and what setting would you put it in or Do not purchase this gemstone 80116D85-8B0F-44FA-A427-82AD6F4F348B.jpeg 365B598B-92E0-48B6-BC90-7B5E69F0C0CA.jpeg FD36DBF9-8925-46E2-BE36-34BEDF58A36B.jpeg 50F7BCA7-BB01-4397-BEAB-0647ECA610D2.jpeg 99B10AFC-1041-4BF7-A042-E6F1C3CAB5D6.jpeg B1C9C320-A31C-41F3-842A-5130ABE3989B.jpeg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At 50% depth and a flat crown, I expect it to have quite a bit of windowing and tilt window. I am sorry to say your pictures are so terrible I cannot make out anything at all. The only way to make the window slightly less visible is to close the back of the setting. That comes with its own issues such as dirt getting trapped. You can have a solid back plate but open sides to allow cleaning. It will not hide the window, only make it less obvious.

How does it look if you cover the bottom in foil?
Does this really matter in a pendant stone where it isn't usually visible to you?

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
Knowing the price from the earlier thread, I would not personally buy this.

Perhaps you could talk through what you’re looking for? How important is it that the stone is a padparadscha? A heart? A natural stone?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Knowing the price from the earlier thread, I would not personally buy this.

Perhaps you could talk through what you’re looking for? How important is it that the stone is a padparadscha? A heart? A natural stone?

Agreed.

erose

Rough_Rock
At 50% depth and a flat crown, I expect it to have quite a bit of windowing and tilt window. I am sorry to say your pictures are so terrible I cannot make out anything at all. The only way to make the window slightly less visible is to close the back of the setting. That comes with its own issues such as dirt getting trapped. You can have a solid back plate but open sides to allow cleaning. It will not hide the window, only make it less obvious.

How does it look if you cover the bottom in foil?
Does this really matter in a pendant stone where it isn't usually visible to you?
Hard for me to capture the color with my phone but put items under penny another god pendant to figure out if below makes a different
8927B882-6D03-4776-83AB-0A1C445F0877.jpeg

Attachments

• 9F797B3B-24B9-4840-A587-4417A5849B08.jpeg
    9F797B3B-24B9-4840-A587-4417A5849B08.jpeg
    177.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 80D2B914-2AC1-4726-A77A-CF1B46C1123A.jpeg
    80D2B914-2AC1-4726-A77A-CF1B46C1123A.jpeg
    130.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 5C2FB45F-2A44-4A00-B5FD-91B005916C67.jpeg
    5C2FB45F-2A44-4A00-B5FD-91B005916C67.jpeg
    152.9 KB · Views: 7
  • A1204B92-CC61-45A5-861D-F4EDF2487EE9.jpeg
    A1204B92-CC61-45A5-861D-F4EDF2487EE9.jpeg
    126.2 KB · Views: 9

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you within the return window? If you are, I would return it. Even with the backing, all I see is the coin underneath.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you within the return window? If you are, I would return it. Even with the backing, all I see is the coin underneath.

Agreed. Especially for the price, it just isnt worth it IMHO. Too many issues.

erose

Rough_Rock
Hi thank you Everyone I wanted to make a work Since hard to find padparadascha heart shape and this size
I can return minus the Stocking fee which is $500 I am trying to figure out if I can waive the stocking fee since The website photographs and did not show the window even the video did not show window and I wasn’t told about the window
Have you come across this issue with not being told about windows or a window a common thing for this type of color gem stone
Is it expected especially with this type of sapphire since Desirable color seems to be a pale or medium tone pink orange
Are people usually ok if against skin flesh pendant or is this a major flaw a window and the ideal solution would’ve been to re-cut the gemstone or what do people usually do with this kind of gemstone issue
I was hoping for a nice pink orange mix of colors within the gemstone like sunset colors

Last edited:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No vendors is going to list that the stone has a window on their website. It is up to the consumer to decide based on the pictures and videos provided.

At a shallow depth of 50%, a recut to close the window will reduce the ct weight significantly, which drops the value. I am speculating that this stone could end up at close to 1 ct after a recut, potentially dropping the selling price by half thereabouts. This is why lapidary have a fine balance of deciding between performance (beauty) and value (ct weight).

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly I can't tell much about the stone at all from your pictures. Try taking the picture from farther away and then cropping it, or putting a loupe up to your phone camera lens and then taking a picture from close up. Can you link us to the original listing or do you have the pictures from it you could share?

erose

Rough_Rock
Honestly I can't tell much about the stone at all from your pictures. Try taking the picture from farther away and then cropping it, or putting a loupe up to your phone camera lens and then taking a picture from close up. Can you link us to the original listing or do you have the pictures from it you could share?

3 ct heart on the left .png this is the gemststone on the left is what the posting is about. I saw this picture from the company that sold the gemstone. the pictures on the company website looked more vivid pinkish purple with slight orange tone but more on the pink side. I am having a difficult time to capture the color with my iphone camera. I don't have a loupe will try to figure out if magnifying glass can help or picture far away then crop. how to capture
When I asked about I am trying to figure out about the window, I am being told by person who sold to me that this stone has a slight window. I am not familiar with windows but wondering what type of window would you consider with the pictures i sent in which you can see the background. the color is hard to capture but in some light sources it is a nice pink purple color that I like and other light sources it looks less saturated washed out. but the most concern I have is the window. I put on items to see how much of a window and seems like if had a rose color background I wouldn't be able to tell about this. I am going to take picture on skin too since does everyone think on skin the window won't show as much? thanks for everyone's advise on this

erose

Rough_Rock
B49ABB37-7FEC-43F3-8655-3EF7D5AAFE45.jpeg

Attachments

• 8A41E9BD-6A89-4F13-B04A-2B968DA4A58E.jpeg
    8A41E9BD-6A89-4F13-B04A-2B968DA4A58E.jpeg
    112.9 KB · Views: 8
  • D132FD60-8403-464B-8B49-EE4F1415AB0C.jpeg
    D132FD60-8403-464B-8B49-EE4F1415AB0C.jpeg
    108.1 KB · Views: 9

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The new pictures you sent are much better, thank you! Your pictures definitely make it look like it has a MUCH bigger window than the vendor picture does. I would call that a major window and not a slight one.

You keep describing the stone as pinkish-purple - to be clear, purplish tones would make it not a padparadscha. It looks like it could be one in the vendor picture but in all of your pictures it looks mauve and not padparadscha like.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The new pictures you sent are much better, thank you! Your pictures definitely make it look like it has a MUCH bigger window than the vendor picture does. I would call that a major window and not a slight one.

You keep describing the stone as pinkish-purple - to be clear, purplish tones would make it not a padparadscha. It looks like it could be one in the vendor picture but in all of your pictures it looks mauve and not padparadscha like.

It honestly looks nothing like a pad in any of the pics (except the vendor one). But honestly even in their pic it's more mauve/purple than pad. Is there any potential to return? I just dont think you should pay pad prices for something that looks nothing like a pad

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
This is not a slight window, imo. It is a large window.

To answer your question on how much of a window is acceptable, when I buy a stone I try to make sure that I love it. There might be parts of the stone that are less than ideal, but on the whole I *love* it.

I’ve had stones with slight windows before, but the windows are minor enough and there’s SO MUCH THAT I LOVE that it makes up for the lack of total perfection.

For this stone, you need to ask the same aesthetic questions of yourself. What do you LOVE about it? What are you not super keen on? What (if anything) do you really dislike? With all that in mind, do you still love the stone?

For me, personally, it is not to my tastes. The window looks severe, and kills just about any possible color (doesn’t fill my heart with pad passion), and I’m generally not crazy about heart cuts. Your mileage may vary, but unless you have a decent amount of money to throw around, I’d save the funds for something that makes your heart pound (imperfections and all). If you love this, great. But if it fills you with uncertainty? Pass, imo.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For a pendant that color, just get an inexpensive and well-cut morganite.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It honestly looks nothing like a pad in any of the pics (except the vendor one). But honestly even in their pic it's more mauve/purple than pad. Is there any potential to return? I just dont think you should pay pad prices for something that looks nothing like a pad

See, what worries me about this is I *don't* think this is a pad price for a 3 ct pad. I suppose we don't know if it is heated or unheated, or where OP is located, but I think in the US it would be hard to find one for that price.

Here is one from Africa Gem that has a GIA report stating it to be a pad and unheated, and it's twice the price: https://www.africagems.com/sapphire-cushion-3-20188780.html
That's the closest comparison I've been able to find online with a color that may be similar. Their 3-ish carat mauveish sapphires are between 5-7k. They are priced higher than a lot of places so I'd expect that price comp to be on the higher side.

Whereas these are the closest non-pad things I could find (sorry, finding larger heart-shaped sapphires seems hard):

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You seem to be wanting three things:
- heart shape
- padparadscha
- 3+ carats

That is going to be very hard to find. You could quite possibly have found the only thing out there that *may* be a padparadscha that is also a 3 ct heart. I would honestly recommend you drop either the heart requirement or the padparadscha requirement, or find a person in the gem trade to search for you for the right stone, and be prepared to wait a while. I would make any purchase contingent upon a lab report from one of the top labs stating that it's a padparadscha.

Here is one that is larger and much more expensive but which I would definitely describe as a pink-orange sunset color:

Another:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry I haven't read all of the comments above but if you love the stone then it is possible to have a setting with a solid back so the colour would reflect back through the stone. A rose gold or gold would possibly work but I'm afraid with a window of that size there's very little you can do to eradicate it. Think about this carefully because it sounds like you may have "send back" remorse if you part with it. However, there are always other gemstones out there and you could even commission a lapidarist to cut you a heart if they have the material. Might be more expensive but from the one or two comments I've read, this was a considered purchase anyway?

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like the stone is drilled to hold the chain? That would be a deal breaker for me (if searching for a pad)

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like the stone is drilled to hold the chain? That would be a deal breaker for me (if searching for a pad)

I’m pretty sure it’s prong set in a basket. I can see all three prongs and a bit of the basket.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results