shape
carat
color
clarity

Oval wedding reset to 3 stone or leave as is

Carmensandiego31

Rough_Rock
I agree that the pave on the e ring might compete and distract. It’ll be gorgeous when worn on its own but your eternity band is so bright that paired together it may compete. A solid gold band will be gorgeous as well, be classic and paired with the wedding band adds that extra oomph without detracting from the beauty of the 3 stone. The 3 stones can get lost in a pace band IMO. Can’t wait to see the oval in the 3 stone setting.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock

chicago123

Shiny_Rock
I tried on this E VVS 3 carat oval in the exact same setting at Tiffanys. Stunning ring and setting. 6CD0EF51-7052-4B4D-8F88-14CC21D01ED8.jpeg

Chicago123: sorry to hijack this thread. I love oval diamonds and yours is gorgeous. You can’t go wrong with a 3 stone ring or plain solitaire. I also adore oval diamonds with delicate halo settings. I look forward to see your final reveal!

Its okay! That ring IS stunning :) thanks and me too!

chicago123

Shiny_Rock
Plain...too much going on leaves me not knowing where to look.

I agree I think 3 stone will help the two side stones and center stone POP :) im nervous about the wedding band haha but I have a plain gold band as well

chicago123

Shiny_Rock
@chicago123 we love options!!!! :)

Thanks!! Me too haha - sometimes its too many. Right now my wedding band is being fixed (was made wrong with .10 stones instead of .15) and now im worried that .15 will be too much. My husband convinced me otherwise to do the .15 but here I am with too many choices

He reminded me of diamond shrinkage haha

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
@chicago123 diamond shrinkage syndrome (DSS) is what we call it here in PS-land.
as long as nothing else shrinks- the money tree needs to be watered, not forgotten to dry up and die!!!! LOLOLOLOL

If the wedding eternity ring is changing to 0.15pt each, I would hold off any other changes to the 3 stone. once that ring has been changed, you can then assess/ appreciate what the wax model of the different styles will look like.

And, because you are getting the wedding band re-set and you mentioned that you thought the 0.1ct stones might be too big.........

Would you consider to have the eternity ring in the true sense of the style- ie not have the baguettes(?)/ bar in between the other stones. Ie all the round stones touching? If so, i would look at getting the stones as 0.1ct each or potentially 0.05ct each stone.

have that discussion with the jeweler in terms of cost.
of course, you are in a diamond jewelry forum and we are nuts, here... we just giving you more options!

Sorry if that put you in too much of a head spin.

chicago123

Shiny_Rock
@chicago123 diamond shrinkage syndrome (DSS) is what we call it here in PS-land.
as long as nothing else shrinks- the money tree needs to be watered, not forgotten to dry up and die!!!! LOLOLOLOL

If the wedding eternity ring is changing to 0.15pt each, I would hold off any other changes to the 3 stone. once that ring has been changed, you can then assess/ appreciate what the wax model of the different styles will look like.

And, because you are getting the wedding band re-set and you mentioned that you thought the 0.1ct stones might be too big.........

Would you consider to have the eternity ring in the true sense of the style- ie not have the baguettes(?)/ bar in between the other stones. Ie all the round stones touching? If so, i would look at getting the stones as 0.1ct each or potentially 0.05ct each stone.

have that discussion with the jeweler in terms of cost.
of course, you are in a diamond jewelry forum and we are nuts, here... we just giving you more options!

Sorry if that put you in too much of a head spin.

I appreciate all help! So you think .15 on a single prong eternity would over power? My center is 1.5 and the sides are .5

it felt like a large change but I’m not sure

CindyZ

Rough_Rock
I'm OBSESSED with the oval-round three-stone look! I don't think you need the pave with such nice big diamonds in play already. I'm excited to see how it turns out! My runner-up ring design was oval with half-moons but now I'm thinking rounds look way better!

chicago123

Shiny_Rock
Me too! Im really, really excited to see the CADs - I agree. The more and more I look at the wedding band + everything - paved might be too much and a plain band will help the stones stand out on their own

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
@chicago123 i believe your 3 stone works well. The proportions and the overall look gets me. So, it’s a vote for yes.

as to the wedding eternity band.... the jury is out for me.

My aesthetic would be a plain wedding band.

if you wanted an eternity, I think a smaller set would work better. With the one you currently have with 0.10ct each stone, I think it is competing a bit with the oval solitaire and I also think it will be competing with the 3 stone. Also what is getting my eye, is the bar between the stones. I am unsure if it flows with the solitaire or the 3 stone.

If you were going to have a bigger stone (0.15?)eternity in the same setting with the bar between the , I think it would be too overpowering and distracting from the 3 stone.

however, if you wanted that bigger stone (0.15ct) eternity, perhaps you may consider a 5 stone instead of the 3 stone. The other side stones to consider could be .3 or .35ct each.

if you want an eternity with your 3 stone, I Woudl consider a skinnier eternity....pave set? 2or 3 mm wide. Just like the Tiffany ring that was posted,.. the set works for me is because the halo and eternity are skinny and allows the centre stone to shine. It compliments well.

These are only my aesthetics, it might be different for you.

I am also a visual person, so I can’t see it till I have a drawing in front of me or when the rings are made- only then, can I say the flow works or not.

I hope that makes sense and not compound your thoughts.

oh I see where you are leaning towards a plain wedding band.
Since the eternity is made, and needs to be remade with the larger stone, perhaps size it for the right hand? And make other stackers?

Lisag103

Shiny_Rock
I appreciate all help! So you think .15 on a single prong eternity would over power? My center is 1.5 and the sides are .5

it felt like a large change but I’m not sure

Hi Chicago,

I have an oval three stone with a .1 shared prong band. My center is a 2.4 carat topaz but as gemstones are heavier I’d say it’s similar size to your 1.5.It’s about 9x7. My side diamonds are .4’s and as mentioned my band is 0.1’s. Here is a picture it might give you an idea of what yours might look like. As others have mentioned if you plan on wearing a diamond band (which I think would look gorgeous) I would stick with a plain shank so that they don’t compete. hope this helps you !

8F38C561-023A-4BE0-9912-8814ABB4EE99.jpeg

I can’t wait to see why you do as I have a 1.2 oval set in a halo and was thinking of resetting this three stone with a .8 round that I have but now I’m thinking I might wait a little while and reset the oval with these sides!

chicago123

Shiny_Rock
Hi Chicago,

I have an oval three stone with a .1 shared prong band. My center is a 2.4 carat topaz but as gemstones are heavier I’d say it’s similar size to your 1.5.It’s about 9x7. My side diamonds are .4’s and as mentioned my band is 0.1’s. Here is a picture it might give you an idea of what yours might look like. As others have mentioned if you plan on wearing a diamond band (which I think would look gorgeous) I would stick with a plain shank so that they don’t compete. hope this helps you !

I can’t wait to see why you do as I have a 1.2 oval set in a halo and was thinking of resetting this three stone with a .8 round that I have but now I’m thinking I might wait a little while and reset the oval with these sides!

This is really helpful! So it’s a long story and without going into too much detail - we ordered .15 originally and received .10. When we took it back in the store is correcting this and would like to show the .15 eternity band before. If after I think it’s too big (likely will as the thickness is hard to adjust to) I will exchange back to .1. But it’s easier downsizing than going up. I agree tho - .15 might be a lot but then again I won’t know until I see it. I feel like I’ll downsize back to .10 eternity - but following the stores recommendation since we were (not ripped off but ripped off) first

Two things at one time haha. Making a new ring and fixing a mistake with my wedding band

chicago123

Shiny_Rock
Hi Chicago,

I also agree - plain gold shank is the way to go. Also if I do a page I will loose the gold - which I LOVE. We are doing white gold prongs so the gold band is my best bet at seeing it :)

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
@chicago123 given they gave quotes yiu for .15 and gave you .10 without your consult, it’s a little bit rude.

I would stick to a plain wedding band.

Then get them to correct to the 0.15 thst was quoted, but this time for your right hand. Then make a few stacker rings for other gifting events- Valentine’s, birthdays etc.

chicago123

Shiny_Rock
@chicago123 given they gave quotes yiu for .15 and gave you .10 without your consult, it’s a little bit rude.

I would stick to a plain wedding band.

Then get them to correct to the 0.15 thst was quoted, but this time for your right hand. Then make a few stacker rings for other gifting events- Valentine’s, birthdays etc.

I agree! But they’re helping so working with it. And I like that idea but I also know there’s a chance down the road (if we had kids etc) I might just wear a wedding band and that’s when I’ll want the diamonds haha. If they are willing to let me change it out then I’ll do that. My husband (understandably so) says we need to see what we paid for first before deciding additional routes

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
@chicago123 keep in mind weight fluctuations meaning ring size changes galore. Plain band is easier to resize.

Some ppl fluctuate with weight post pregnancy... I just gain weight cos I eat and drink stupidly!! Lol. And it was a costly exercise to change my eternity ring, but I knew that, and love it.

it is great that they are working with you guys on the ring situation- yes get that paperwork out

chicago123

Shiny_Rock
@chicago123 keep in mind weight fluctuations meaning ring size changes galore. Plain band is easier to resize.

Some ppl fluctuate with weight post pregnancy... I just gain weight cos I eat and drink stupidly!! Lol. And it was a costly exercise to change my eternity ring, but I knew that, and love it.

it is great that they are working with you guys on the ring situation- yes get that paperwork out

That’s a great point. I did go up .5 size to make sure we are good And left a sizing bar

but I see what you’re saying!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
@chicago123 looks like you guys all sorted!
Good luck with the jeweler, am sure they will come to the party with your needs .

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That's EXACTLY what I did. I made a 3 stone out of my oval and earrings that my parents got me!!. My oval was in a very lovely but fragile setting before. I miss the halo like crazy though!

Attachments

• IMG_20201018_114121.jpg
    IMG_20201018_114121.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20170414_160312.jpg
    IMG_20170414_160312.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 16

chicago123

Shiny_Rock
That's EXACTLY what I did. I made a 3 stone out of my oval and earrings that my parents got me!!. My oval was in a very lovely but fragile setting before. I miss the halo like crazy though!

OH MY GOD!! Love it love it love it - this is making me so excited!

now I’m trying to figure out my ring size. With more weight on top - did you go up / down?

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
To help with the spinning, I would add sizing beads on the inside of the shank and keep your ring size the same.

I am really looking forward to seeing your finished ring!

chicago123

Shiny_Rock
To help with the spinning, I would add sizing beads on the inside of the shank and keep your ring size the same.

I am really looking forward to seeing your finished ring!

I thought that too! I’m debating sizing up (did for my eternity ring) but now that Chicago’s in winter - hahah my ring is SO LOOSE! Making me nervous to size up the ER

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
I have a knuckle issue due to old injury- so my rings spin... sizing beads the way to go.
Helps with diffenrt temps.

chicago123

Shiny_Rock
I have a knuckle issue due to old injury- so my rings spin... sizing beads the way to go.
Helps with diffenrt temps.

I’m sorry to hear about your knuckles - but appreciative for the insight.

My first engagement ring was size 6 (super thin and plain band). Then I moved to a much thicker (and super comfortable a jaffe) setting. This is 6.5 but pretty right in the summer and fall (haven’t had in the spring) and a little too loose in the winter (never where I would 100% feel unsafe) but it’s loose! Debating between 6.75 and normal 6.5. I know they will be thick together. Man 2020 has made me so indecisive this year

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
@chicago123 when you know more, you think more.
It’s only natural to raise those questions.
Only then you can be truly informed to make the decision that is right for you.

how long / months do you experience summer snd how many months of winter? Thst may help you understand what size would work better? Snug is good, tight isn’t, loose isn’t good either... but a compromise is needed. Hehehe.

Pinkdreams

Rough_Rock
I love the idea of the three stone with diamonds on the wedding band. I just got my wedding band 3/4 10 pt ovals and I think it has made my engagement ring really pop. When I turn it around with just the plain gold I don’t like it anywhere near as much so I definitely vote for diamonds wedding band and three stones 212E97E5-6ED5-4AB3-9527-6794EE061369.jpeg image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 16

chicago123

Shiny_Rock
@chicago123 when you know more, you think more.
It’s only natural to raise those questions.
Only then you can be truly informed to make the decision that is right for you.

how long / months do you experience summer snd how many months of winter? Thst may help you understand what size would work better? Snug is good, tight isn’t, loose isn’t good either... but a compromise is needed. Hehehe.

Isnt that the truth! Living in Chicago it's pretty even for cold / warm - humid June - October. Nov / Dec have their days (as well as I do with our amazing food and drinks haha). I have not had kids and am always wanting to loose the last 5 lol. I think I might stick with my normal 6.5 and keep the eternity 6.75. Chances are the prongs will wear on the band and Ill have to replace one day (I have a spacer and might wear it but also - man I really just love a clean stack)

chicago123

Shiny_Rock
I love the idea of the three stone with diamonds on the wedding band. I just got my wedding band 3/4 10 pt ovals and I think it has made my engagement ring really pop. When I turn it around with just the plain gold I don’t like it anywhere near as much so I definitely vote for diamonds wedding band and three stones 212E97E5-6ED5-4AB3-9527-6794EE061369.jpeg image.jpg

Woah! Show stopper! Okay - yes yes the more I see the 10 pts I think I will likely size down. I love everything about your set up! Your ring is stunning :). Wish I didn't have to wait (realistically with the holidays here) 2 months for it to be finished haha

Pinkdreams

Rough_Rock
Woah! Show stopper! Okay - yes yes the more I see the 10 pts I think I will likely size down. I love everything about your set up! Your ring is stunning :). Wish I didn't have to wait (realistically with the holidays here) 2 months for it to be finished haha

It will be worth the wait. Try to get what you really want or else it will probably bother you longer term. It is hard to take photos of my ring to do it justice but was trying to show you the difference with the plain band. I like simplicity too but the diamond wedding band is just way nicer. Can’t wait to see pics

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results