shape
carat
color
clarity

Oval help!

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy|1462597534|4028461 said:
It's not to my personal taste as it is too much like a marquise to me. And has a bowtie. But if you like it, it might be worth seeing it in person.

Yeah the ends are too pointy and that was bothering me - what do you think about this one? This looks like more of a classic oval shape to me (I like the skinnier ovals), and even though it is an H it looks pretty white in the pictures (is that just because they are outside pictures?). Do you think I need to be worried about the depth and spread of this one? The actual dimensions seem pretty big for the carat weight so that makes me a little worried. Also the description says there is no bowtie in person.

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/1-60ct-antique-moval-gia-h-vs1#.Vy_obE32ZD8

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
No bowtie in person.

How about a bowtie when SET? Cause that's how you wear it. It's one thing to say no bowtie when the thing is unset. But...set? I'd be concerned about that. I wouldn't buy that without seeing it person and wrapping foil around it to simulate a bezel (worst case senario of setting it).

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Gypsy! So I did buy this stone and while I do notice the bowtie effect at certain angles/lighting conditions, for me it wasn't a deal breaker. After spending a ton of time browsing through old threads I realized I was most drawn to antique cuts (which I had never even heard of before Pricescope), and this one was just so captivating to me. It is super lively and I love the unique shape. Definitely different than what I thought I would buy, but it faces up huge and I actually prefer the warmer color in the antique cut. I think I'm going to go with a simple solid rose gold setting from Maytal Hannah - I keep going back and forth between whether or not I should get pave on the band, and whether I should do a rose gold or platinum eternity wedding band...I kind of like the mis-matched look.

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ohhh! You have to show us! I thought that was such a charming stone and I'm glad to see you got it and are enjoying it :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You are making an educated choice based on your personal preference. That's all that matters to me! I love brushed rose gold (fyi, even though you didn't ask). I can't wait to see the ring. Please post pictures here (or a link to your SMTB thread if you decide to post there).

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks! I definitely would prefer zero bow tie, but on balance I just couldn't send it back - the rainbow sparkles are enchanting and I still can't get over how much finger coverage I'm getting for the carat weight.

Gypsy I love brushed rose gold too - I'm thinking of getting a two-tone steel and rose gold watch, and the rose gold on the watch is shiny. Do you think brushed rose gold on the e-ring wouldn't match as well with the watch? Maybe a lightly brushed finish would match better?

And yes I will definitely post pictures - I'm dropping the stone off with Maytal this Saturday and am going to be soooo impatient to get it back haha. I've been wearing it around the house in that little temporary tension setting and have already shot the stone out several times :shock: I scare myself and put it away, then decide that I can't resist and have to take it out again, so it is probably best that the stone is going away soon :D

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am so happy you love your stone! I can't wait for pictures.

Ask Maytal what she recommends on the metal. She has a great deal of experience with rose gold.

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
Here she is! Need to take better pictures (and maybe put on something nicer than an t-shirt) so I can do a full post, but I'm so happy with how the ring turned out and really appreciate everyone who took the time to share their input, especially Gypsy! (and side note that I always look forward to Gypsy's posts in general :) )

_37767.jpg

_37768.jpg

pic_54.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
OH WOW. I see why you fell in love. I adore the shape and the proportions of it. And I think you picked the perfect setting. I just love it!

I am so glad you didn't listen to me!!!!!

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
Haha thank you Gypsy!!

I have another question - I want to get a micropave wedding band, and I think I want to wear it on my right index finger instead of my ring finger (kind of weird I guess but I just like the ring by itself!). What would you recommend between full cut or single cut for the band? I've looked at a bunch of old threads on this, but I've never seen single cut in person and I'm having a tough time picturing what would look best with my ring (although it probably won't be on my ring finger).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results