shape
carat
color
clarity

Oval diamonds

Wombats

Shiny_Rock
Hello

I'm aware that it's tricky to find a good oval diamond and each needs to be looked at on a case by case basis. But are there any criterion that can be used to narrow the search down?

Thanks for your help

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hello Wombats,

First of all, you are right - there are no hard and fast rules.

In our experience we have found customers most pleased with oval diamonds that have length to width ratio of 1.35 - 1.5 but it all depends on how narrow or broad you want your stone to be.

Oval diamonds will overwhelmingly have some degree of the 'bow tie' effect so a visual inspection is an absolute must when it comes to these stones.  

If you are unable to see the diamond in person before you buy make certain a good return policy is in place in case the light performance is not all you had hoped.

Wombats

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much for your response.

I have been reading a lot about oval diamonds. I've recently seen it suggested that to reduce the possibility of a negative bow tie effect, you should aim for a length to width ratio of 1.35, choose an 8-main oval with a small table and make sure it's not too shallow.

Other sites suggest the following metrics:
Table %: 55 – 60%
Total depth: 59 – 63%
Crown height %: 12 – 15%
L-W: 1.33-1.6

What do you think?

Cheers

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you need to worry less about the numbers and go more with the images/videos...there is too much variance in fancy cuts to narrow
it down by numbers...sometimes the numbers all work but the stone is not attractive and sometimes the numbers are all wrong but
the stone looks nice.

If you can post your budget and wish list of specs we might be able to point out a few nice ones.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results