shape
carat
color
clarity

Oval Bow tie

Rose-gold-or-bust

Shiny_Rock
Ok so I bought this oval and it is being set into a cluster halo. It can go back if I am not pleased but I’m also having anxiety over the center stone itself. I have videos of the stone from different vendors. The James Allen video doesn’t show much bow tie at all but I am seeing a bit in the Blue Nile video at certain angles. Granted, I can only see if for a second at a time unless I stop the video and in real life the diamond will be moving more. What do you think? Am I going to be sending this one back? Is bow tie normally assessed from a straight on perspective or from all angles?

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/0.72-carat-g-color-vs1-clarity-sku-7064192 (James Allen)
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD12492334?click_id=757412484 (Blue Nile)

E7F6D325-7A6D-4306-964E-8476D4E7862C.jpeg
AD9227A8-7820-495F-AA18-C5AB986D836A.jpeg A few turns look like this from an angled view.

7357E389-7C75-4D48-9459-AD193AE877FE.jpeg Looking at it straight

AV_

Ideal_Rock
There will ever be some discernible pattern over the short diameter of an oval. I do not see much in these two. If anything, I wonder about brilliance overall.

Just a first impression

Rose-gold-or-bust

Shiny_Rock
There will ever be some discernible pattern over the short diameter of an oval. I do not see much in these two. If anything, I wonder about brilliance overall.

Just a first impression

Thanks! I have a really hard time gauging stones through these videos and I’m just hoping for a noticeable improvement from my previous .3ct I1 non-certified stone - which I don’t think will be difficult to beat. The day will come when I upgrade from this oval again so I don’t need it to be perfect but a prominent bow tie will bother me.

Reactions: AV_

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks! I have a really hard time gauging stones through these videos and I’m just hoping for a noticeable improvement from my previous .3ct I1 non-certified stone - which I don’t think will be difficult to beat. The day will come when I upgrade from this oval again so I don’t need it to be perfect but a prominent bow tie will bother me.
If you know you are going to upgrade, I'd make sure to look at upgrade policies. I think JA requires you to spend double, which is pretty restrictive IMHO.

Rose-gold-or-bust

Shiny_Rock
If you know you are going to upgrade, I'd make sure to look at upgrade policies. I think JA requires you to spend double, which is pretty restrictive IMHO.

I don’t know that or sure, I just suspect that in about 10 years or so, I’ll want to do it again as my taste change (That’s how long I’ve had my first set). I’m also sentimental though and would likely keep my current rings and just start fresh. Bad financially but I want to hand as much jewelry to my children when I’m old as possible. My grandmother gave me many of her pieces and those things are some of my most treasured possessions.

I went with JA because they have a setting I haven’t seen anywhere else and I am far too impatient to have somebody recreate something similar for me. It’s a cluster halo made with marquise and round stones. The profile is such that I can stack bands flush to the sides of it without a gap. Even if I did want to trade this one in later, there is no guarantee the vendor I buy from now will be around when I upgrade again. Plus, it is a $2500 stone so it wouldn’t be too hard to spend double if I did want to go that route.

D14AF029-7C3E-4068-BDC4-147B3FFFA079.jpeg F0B08BBA-A9A7-47EE-8FFC-3BEE5D4FFC68.jpeg

Edit: sorry they are soo big.... I’m not sure how to size them for PS

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I might not find better either!
Eg. this WWW is also colourless & safely clean, perhaps brighter with a negligible bowtie, but deeper cut hence smaller, etc.

(we were writing in the same time, so I went to Blue Nile not having read about the clever setting!)

Rose-gold-or-bust

Shiny_Rock
I might not find better either!
Eg. this WWW is also colourless & safely clean, perhaps brighter with a negligible bowtie, but deeper cut hence smaller, etc.

(we were writing in the same time, so I went to Blue Nile not having read about the clever setting!)

I think they share a vendor so I can likely get the same one from JA if needed. I’ll bookmark it in case I’m unhappy with my current one when I see it in real life. It is already made and awaiting shipping so at this point I need to forget my doubts and wait to see it. Soo hard for me to do though

Rose-gold-or-bust

Shiny_Rock
Pretty! I worry a D will look too white in the setting though as the side stones are G/H.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Post Edited

Fingers crossed!

I had prices set to Euro at JA, so these turned up:

I tend to forgive step cut for murder, since I like the cut allot, and barely put up with the nicest of any other cut, and this stood up out of pages of ovals.

Last edited:

AV_

Ideal_Rock
If the side stones are G- ish, they should be OK as they are that much smaller, the look is different just by the size of facets involved.

I did set the search for colour D to H, IF to SI2 then looked for cut.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
PS

This is intriguing & not small, but it will take a custom setting obviously - www

Over & out!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The best ovals will have additional facets lighting up as the stone turns.
Here is where typical ovals show a lot of mush...the blue outline areas are "mushy" and do not return light well.
oval 121.PNG

Here is a stone that is better than average that shows additional facets lighting up as the stone turns (area in blue is nice facets with nice light return).
big area oval.PNG

Did you get input on this stone before you ordered it? Just curious. Once you see it in person you can evaluate its performance and enjoy or, act
accordingly. Let us know what you think when you receive it!

Rose-gold-or-bust

Shiny_Rock
The best ovals will have additional facets lighting up as the stone turns.
Here is where typical ovals show a lot of mush...the blue outline areas are "mushy" and do not return light well.
oval 121.PNG

Here is a stone that is better than average that shows additional facets lighting up as the stone turns (area in blue is nice facets with nice light return).
big area oval.PNG

Did you get input on this stone before you ordered it? Just curious. Once you see it in person you can evaluate its performance and enjoy or, act
accordingly. Let us know what you think when you receive it!

I got input but not here. I ran it through rare carets gemologist review and they seemed to like it

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since you're getting it you can evaluate it in hand. As always, with any diamond, look at it in all different lighting. Good luck and let us know what you think!

Rose-gold-or-bust

Shiny_Rock
These are not bow ties in the normal sense because you are seeing the darkness off perpendicular axis.
I think this would appear nicely as scintillation for a very brief flash.

Thank you!

Rose-gold-or-bust

Shiny_Rock
Update! The stone (to me) had great sparkle but I noticed color in the ends which began to bother me after a few days. One of the halo stones had a weird look to it so I was going to get that one swapped out anyway and decided to go to a better color in my oval as well while I was at it. They have to remake the setting so sizing doesn’t matter but I loved the overall size of my ring so want to keep in somewhat similar.

Continued this journey over at this thread with the one I am currently considering in the first post.... https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/oval-help-again.251309/

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results