shape
carat
color
clarity

Oval... help. Again

Rose-gold-or-bust

Shiny_Rock
Im second guessing the oval in my ring that I just got. It is actually beautiful to me in most conditions but I see a bit of color in the ends and it is only a G! Looking at changing it to an E now. How’s this one looking? I already have it on hold

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/0.90-carat-e-color-vs1-clarity-sku-7199669

I know it is cut deeper than normal so it will face up smaller but I’m okay with that as the one I’m changing is a 0.7. The August vintage Elyque are also cut deep and people love those. I know somebody will ask ‘why not an Elyque’? but I have my own issue with those in that many of them appear to have a lot of contrast from N to S in the stone and to me I see a big black line splitting them in half. Picky, picky

55A1DF8F-D138-449D-B144-F9E1887CC56C.jpeg

Last edited:

Athena10X

Shiny_Rock
Will going up that much in size require the ring, or at least the head to be redone? And if so, will that be an additional charge? Just something to consider.

Rose-gold-or-bust

Shiny_Rock
Will going up that much in size require the ring, or at least the head to be redone? And if so, will that be an additional charge? Just something to consider.

Yes it will need the setting re-made but there will be no cost as I only just got it and it is in the return window (already confirmed with vendor).

Rose-gold-or-bust

Shiny_Rock
@tyty333

I know you’ve pointed out over and over again what to look for but my inexperienced eyes see most diamonds the same. What are your thoughts on the .90ct I linked up top. It certainly appears better than my original to me, but again... *I have no clue what I am doing*

What I do know:
1. Thick girdle = will face up smaller but potentially more brilliance (as per some website). I am okay with faxing up smaller.
2. Cut deep = again, will face up smaller but okay with that
3. Probably over kill on color but I don’t want to risk seeing color again like I did in my G
4. Higher clarity than necessary — just want it to look good, limited to no bow tie and ‘to me”, this one stood out.
5. I have so much to learn! I felt my first one was very sparkly in person and would have kept it if it wasn’t for the color I was seeing. I’m probably not the best judge of sparkle though and have nothing to compare it to anyway other than my terrible uncertified tiny round diamond in my original ring.

Last edited:

Rose-gold-or-bust

Shiny_Rock
@AV_ I know you normally have an opinion on ovals too. Would love to hear it.

Reactions: AV_

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I have noticed a couple of beautiful ovals at Blue Nile (don't ask why... Their search interface is ... nice, like hot coffee & used the same way!) including some with arrows (curiously). Will fetch the links later today.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Not much to add,

A D/VS2 could be a pair to yours! WWW The wider girdle of the E/VS1 & perhaps some other detail of proportions darken the table a little & I am not seeing this in the D; it could be just the lighting or not matter IRL.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
... as for the ovals with arrows, only one is left, too small WWW

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Rose-gold-or-bust

Shiny_Rock
... as for the ovals with arrows, only one is left, too small WWW

That is so different! Yes, too small but cool to look at nonetheless.

Thanks for your thoughts and help again

Rose-gold-or-bust

Shiny_Rock
Not much to add,

A D/VS2 could be a pair to yours! WWW The wider girdle of the E/VS1 & perhaps some other detail of proportions darken the table a little & I am not seeing this in the D; it could be just the lighting or not matter IRL.

I noticed the BN videos to show brighter than JA in general when comparing the same stone at both places. I like this D though, I’ll see if I can find it through JA as I really want to get this done and over with.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you seeing color as in actual yellow tint, or is what you are seeing darkness caused by the facet pattern? I have a G pear and it is pretty dark on the end, much more so than a lower color OEC I have is anywhere, but it's not color, it's facet pattern/light leakage.

With that said, the E in your first post has less light leakage than your current stone. Didn't like any of the others linked.

Rose-gold-or-bust

Shiny_Rock
Are you seeing color as in actual yellow tint, or is what you are seeing darkness caused by the facet pattern? I have a G pear and it is pretty dark on the end, much more so than a lower color OEC I have is anywhere, but it's not color, it's facet pattern/light leakage.

With that said, the E in your first post has less light leakage than your current stone. Didn't like any of the others linked.

I’m not sure what I’m seeing to be honest. Not the best photo of it but I’ll circle where I’m seeing the color and it looks yellow-ish to me. Only seen in some lighting and only on the outer 1/3s of the oval. I thought it was the prongs doing it but that doesn’t make much sense either because it is sitting in a basket/half bezel type thing so there is colored metal all around it too, including under it as well. The center goes dark in very bright lighting but I’m okay with that. The yellow I see most of the time when I’m inside. Maybe it is because the center facets differently that my eye sees the mush in this area?

88877D2A-33C4-4D78-87C1-3FDF472008BA.jpeg FB014C3C-1B83-4B19-A3CE-8889D7504E13.jpeg

One of the marquise faces weird (almost like the table is way too big for it) so I was sending it back anyway because that marquise looks grey to me and I wanted it swapped out.

My eyes like this E the most and I can’t find the D that was suggested via James Allen so I’m gonna go with this E and hope for the best. If it doesn’t fix the yellow then I know for sure it is the prongs and I will have to learn to live with it but I’m fairly certain will be a little more sparkly then the original stone I picked out so that a bonus. Also looks like it has less mush but there is still some there which I know is common in ovals.

This is what they call a Goldilocks moment around here, I’m guessing :wall:

Rose-gold-or-bust

Shiny_Rock
This is the marquise that looks weird to me. You could argue it is just the angle or lighting in this photo but even on my hand I can see this one is different. I tried turning ring around and is still see that one once it is on the other side. My husband doesn’t see it at all but he is not visual in the slightest.
3B9D24D9-9F6A-4BC1-8C3D-55354DED197D.jpeg

On a side note... my husband isn’t shocked in the slightest that this is bothering me. I’m a paper crafter and I’ve been known to show him two pieces of card stock in the same color (as per the label) but from different packages, and go on a rant that they look different.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It could also be the prong placement at the ends causing the color to be more concentrated. Not sure about the marquise, it might need to be tilted out more to face more towards the top.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@tyty333

I know you’ve pointed out over and over again what to look for but my inexperienced eyes see most diamonds the same. What are your thoughts on the .90ct I linked up top. It certainly appears better than my original to me, but again... *I have no clue what I am doing*

What I do know:
1. Thick girdle = will face up smaller but potentially more brilliance (as per some website). I am okay with faxing up smaller.
2. Cut deep = again, will face up smaller but okay with that
3. Probably over kill on color but I don’t want to risk seeing color again like I did in my G
4. Higher clarity than necessary — just want it to look good, limited to no bow tie and ‘to me”, this one stood out.
5. I have so much to learn! I felt my first one was very sparkly in person and would have kept it if it wasn’t for the color I was seeing. I’m probably not the best judge of sparkle though and have nothing to compare it to anyway other than my terrible uncertified tiny round diamond in my original ring.

The new stone you've picked out has better light return than your old stone. I agree with @distracts . You are probably seeing the color difference
between the nice facets that return light well and the ones that are more mushy that dont return light. Increase the facets that return light well
and you (most likely) wont see the color.

To me, the key is when you slowly turn the stone you want more nice facets (well defined that light up) to show up in the middle headed out towards
the longer ends of the oval. Nice facets look distinct (show a nice outline to the facet) and act like a mirror (turning on/off reflecting light). Mushy areas
have facets where you cant really see the outline of the facet and almost always stay gray (never white reflecting light or black showing contrast...just gray).

The picture on the left is your current stone at an angle that does not show nice facets in the red area. The newer oval shows better faceting and a smaller
area of red facets that is mushy. If you watch each of them spin you should be able to see it. You have to stare at them a lot and figure out the difference.

Capture.PNG Capture.PNG

Rose-gold-or-bust

Shiny_Rock
The new stone you've picked out has better light return than your old stone. I agree with @distracts . You are probably seeing the color difference
between the nice facets that return light well and the ones that are more mushy that dont return light. Increase the facets that return light well
and you (most likely) wont see the color.

To me, the key is when you slowly turn the stone you want more nice facets (well defined that light up) to show up in the middle headed out towards
the longer ends of the oval. Nice facets look distinct (show a nice outline to the facet) and act like a mirror (turning on/off reflecting light). Mushy areas
have facets where you cant really see the outline of the facet and almost always stay gray (never white reflecting light or black showing contrast...just gray).

The picture on the left is your current stone at an angle that does not show nice facets in the red area. The newer oval shows better faceting and a smaller
area of red facets that is mushy. If you watch each of them spin you should be able to see it. You have to stare at them a lot and figure out the difference.

Capture.PNG Capture.PNG

Thank you! This feedback is a huge help.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope the E works out for you. I have a D pear and I never see yellow in it even though the pointy ends of pears are known to be mushy.
Other things that could be affecting the color...room color (paint) and lighting.

Let us know when you get it back and what you think!

Rose-gold-or-bust

Shiny_Rock
Update. New ring came and the tiny hint of color is gone and all the side stones look good too. Definitely better light return with this one, but without having both side by side, I can’t tell how significant. New stone has a lot of fire for sure!

My problems are solved though so now I can enjoy my new bling. About to head out of town but I’ll take better photos when I get back and share them.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results