shape
carat
color
clarity

Oval 2.06 J SI2 in Brilliance custom tulip pave setting

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
I've been lurking here for awhile but this is my first post. FedEx delivered my new bauble today. I know a lot of you PS regulars will be doing this :nono: or this :-o because I violated several PS rules, but this time, it worked out. I did not visit any local jewelry stores, I did not look at diamonds, I did not try on rings, I did not see photos of my stone. I read about diamonds (here and elsewhere) and decided what I felt would work for me. I got a lot of insight from many posters here, so I want to thank everyone who contributes. You don't know how much you helped me, even though I didn't follow all the rules :bigsmile: .

Given that I'm far from perfect and no one in my social or work circles is into diamonds, I decided that I could get the most bang for my buck with J color and an eye-clean SI2 stone. For me, paying extra for higher clarity or color just didn't make sense.

I've been day-dreaming on BN for months. Watched diamond and metal prices go up, diamonds in my "sweet spot" (over 2 ct, 58-62% deep, chubbier rather than longer, under $15K and eventually down to around $10K) become scarcer and scarcer. Every time what appeared to be a bargain showed up, it was gone in a few days. Sometime in August, this "roval" (l/w ratio 1.29) showed up and I just kept watching it. I prefer "rovals" to the more traditional oval shape and maybe one of the reasons this stone was priced lower is that it is too chubby.

Not long after, I found PS. The diamond search didn't turn up this diamond in any PS vendor's inventory but somehow I stumbled onto the Brilliance web site and there it was, at a significant discount over BN. In mid-October, I contacted Brilliance to get a copy of the GIA report to confirm that it was the diamond I'd been watching on BN and it was. Evan at Brilliance contacted the cutter to see whether the diamond was eye clean (the inclusion plot showing several inclusions under the table was kind of scary) and was told that it was.

Every day, I'd check BN and Brilliance (sometimes several times a day) to see if "my" diamond was still there. It disappeared a time or two, much to my disappointment, then it would show up again, much to my relief. I finally decided that if it was still available on November 28 (divorce anniversary, which I celebrate quietly every year), I would order my ring. I was interested in either a six-prong solitaire or a trellis setting (with or without pave) but was concerned about not having prongs on the ends of the stone in the trellis setting. I'm a klutz and I can guarantee that I will hit that stone on something. Evan mentioned the tulip setting (which bears a strong resemblance to the Vatche Royal Crown). I think I'd dismissed it because getting it for an oval was a custom order and I figured it would be too pricey but I actually prefer the tulip head to the trellis. Anyway, I ordered it from Evan, and Jonathon took over with the custom part. I like my stones set high, so I was a little concerned at how the CADs looked but I just decided not to worry about it.

Anyway, my little beauty arrived this afternoon and when I looked at it, all I could say for several minutes was, "Omigosh, omigosh, omigosh!" I know it's not impressive compared to many here, but all I've ever had were 1/3 ct. and a couple half carat diamonds so for me, this is spectacular.

The photos don't do it justice, but I'm sure just about everyone here who's taken photos knows how much better their baubles look in person than they do in anything but vendor photos. Yes, in some lighting, I can see a creamy tint, but in most lighting it doesn't look at all yellow. Yes, there's a bowtie in there somewhere, I think, but the diamond is seldom in the right position to see it.

The box is white, not ivory as it looks in the photos below:

Sorry for the poor hand shot, but at least it gives some perspective. My fingers don't look quite this chunky in real life, but they are middle-aged hands. This ring is a size 8.25. I'm a size 8 but wanted a little extra room.

Tried to catch the sparkle in indirect light but it didn't work. There wasn't a hint of yellow in real life.

Will post more photos in a followup post because I know from reading a zillion posts here that y'all LOVE photos and most people want to see profiles and side shots.

liz

tulip01.JPG

Tulip07.jpg

Tulip02.jpg

Tulip09.jpg

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
Some profile and side views:

(boo, hiss, it's already dirty and I've cleaned it a couple of times)

Tulip03.jpg

Tulip04.jpg

Tulip05.jpg

Tulip06.jpg

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Ooh la-la! ::)

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
And one last playful shot of it on a non-traditional Christmas ornament (Mardi Gras colors and a fleur de lis, gotta be from Louisiana to "get" that):

(would probably look better on a smaller ornament...)

BTW, total cost was less than five figures, so I'm a happy camper and that's all that counts :bigsmile:

edited to add GIA certificate showing scary inclusion plot

Tulip08.jpg

Oval_206_J_SI2.png

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fantastic :appl: - enjoy!!!!!!!!!!

shortee78

Shiny_Rock
Lovely ring! I especially like the trellis setting. :)

You were definitely brave to order the ring without seeing the diamond in person first.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You took a chance and it paid off! It looks fabulous on your hand!!! Congrats!

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
shortee78 and Gypsy,

Yes, I took a chance, but I figured that if I didn't like it, I'd send it back. 30-day return policy. There are a lot fewer ovals available than rounds and princesses and it's harder to choose them because the selection tools just aren't available. Evan and I had a good, long discussion about what was important to me and I had confidence that the folks at Brilliance would not make the ring if they got the diamond in and thought that it wouldn't satisfy me because they knew I'd just send the ring back.

In this case, my gamble paid off. I know it doesn't always work that way, but I had a good feeling about this because of the way things just fell into place.

liz

omc111

Rough_Rock
Congratulations on your beautiful ring. I love ovals and I prefer "rovals" also! I hope you enjoy every minute of it!

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So from what I understand, you ordered this ring for yourself because you just wanted it.

Good for you!!! And I'm glad you love it.

Anne

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is lovely! I love the trellis setting and the tulip head. It looks awesome on your hand! Congrats on your gamble that paid off in spades!

shortee78

Shiny_Rock
Hehe, I gambled on my diamond too, no worries! The 30 day money back guarantees definitely help us out!

On a side note, I've always been in love with ovals. But with half moons as side stones. And I also love cushions. And emerald cuts....I love them all, I don't discriminate :)

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Who needs rules??? That ring is jaw dropping gorgeous and you must be thrilled every time you see it on your hand!

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful!! Rules? What rules? :cheeky:

AuntKiki

Shiny_Rock
Gorgeous ring, congrats!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I LOVE the stone: equally, I love the way you think. Happy divorce anniversary, and good on you for taking a chance and winning in such a spectacular fashion - it looks fabulous on you!

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Wow it turned out beautifully and looks great on your hand!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Whoop! Whoop! C'est beau la! Magnifique :bigsmile:

Great ring libbyLA. Isn't it wonderful when life throws you a bonus treat? So pleased for you and I think it's kinda cool you ordered it to celebrate your divorce. You're one cool lady :))

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
I'm normally pretty practical and frugal, but I've wanted a nice diamond ring all my adult life. I had a bit of a windfall with a contract programming job this year so I decided to splurge and get the ring instead of doing something practical with the money. Won't feel the need to upgrade as this is pretty spectacular in my circles.

My first engagement ring was a hand-me-down 1/3 ct "maul" stone from Zales (husband's previous fiancee's ring), second was a half carat oval emerald that I paid to get set.

Have been with my current SO for almost 13 years. Am not sure what his reaction will be when he sees it, but I warned him that I was getting it :bigsmile:. He's indulging me these days by spending a small fortune to fix up his place in the middle of a national forest to my standards so I can enjoy spending time with him there, which means a lot more to me than having him buy me some bling. I'm an outdoor girl, but I want indoor plumbing and hot and cold running water, thank you very much!

Spesh2011

Rough_Rock
I love "rovals", too! Your ring is fabulous! :love: :appl:

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Looks awesome, and its huge and sparkly. Congrats x

Honey228

Shiny_Rock
Hehe, I *totally* understand what it's like to stalk an oval for months. Shopping for ovals can be tricky! Glad you took the plunge; it's beautiful. P.S. I don't think it's too chubby AND I think it's very impressive.

mitsui4

Brilliant_Rock
it is so brilliant~ I am glad you finally got this stone of your choice~

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
Very beautiful ring!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
love it! It's stunning- it truly looks right at home on your hand!:)

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations, it is a beautiful ring. That must have been some awful marriage and divorce for you to want to celebrate the day, even
quietly for that many years. I remember my Dad making a comment to my mom, on their anniversary, that 'today was the worst day of her life', and she replied 'it was only my worst day when I was married to you'.

On the up side, you were able to find a fabulous diamond! I, too, understand stalking a diamond, and also wanting that special diamond ring for many years! Enjoy it, and love wearing it every single day of your life! It is a true beauty.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
shortee78|1324601759|3087148 said:
Hehe, I gambled on my diamond too, no worries! The 30 day money back guarantees definitely help us out!

On a side note, I've always been in love with ovals. But with half moons as side stones. And I also love cushions. And emerald cuts....I love them all, I don't discriminate :)

I love all shapes as well!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As long as you bought with a return policy, you didn't break the most important rule!

The ring is beautiful and good for you for getting the ring for yourself! :love: :appl: Many of us are WAY too picky to let anyone else choose jewelry for us anyway! And I think that oval is the perfect shape, actually!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love your ring. Its beautiful! I also love that you bought it for yourself. Good for you! Enjoy that beauty, and the place in the forest - how fabulous!! :appl:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love rovals, love that you bought it for yourself. Do you plan to wear it on your left ring finger?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results