shape
carat
color
clarity

Ouros OEC M SI1… help

sunflowerstate

Shiny_Rock

Is this a quality OEC? I have reached out for more pictures and videos in different lighting conditions. Apparently they can do this in a 6-prong platinum solitaire for only $2,225! My eyes nearly fell out of my head! I’m unsure if this stone is price scope quality though… thoughts?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you wanting a light yellow diamond? The inclusions would probably bother me. If I were getting a lab OEC, I'd go for a higher color unless you are wanting to enhance the yellow color. And I'd definitely go for VS.

prinsad

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Is this a quality OEC? I have reached out for more pictures and videos in different lighting conditions. Apparently they can do this in a 6-prong platinum solitaire for only $2,225! My eyes nearly fell out of my head! I’m unsure if this stone is price scope quality though… thoughts?

I saw that and I love the cut. The nice thing with the antique cuts is I do not mind the cut not being perfect. I expect it not to be. This one is so pretty, but it does have a lot of color. I don’t mind it, but it depends on you!

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock

It is beautiful, if you like the color. I like the brownish tone. Antique cuts aren’t supposed to have perfect light performance, although some are designed that way.

Buttercookies

Brilliant_Rock
Here is my two cents since I was considering this OEC for a long time but decided to scrap the project.

First, I’ve seen a lower price for this listing at around 10% discount last week so I recommend reaching out to see if they still honor that.

Second, the cut is nice. People forget that older cuts are not perfect and that’s what makes them beautiful.

Third, The color is a warmer color which is appropriate because that’s what older cut has. I think nowadays we all want the whitest white and cut perfection but OEC is about imperfection and an old style look.

As long as you are okay with the inclusion.

It comes to down to 800-900 per carat which is a good deal for OEC.

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Are we 100% sure this isn't a moissanite?

sunflowerstate

Shiny_Rock
Are you wanting a light yellow diamond? The inclusions would probably bother me. If I were getting a lab OEC, I'd go for a higher color unless you are wanting to enhance the yellow color. And I'd definitely go for VS.
I am wanting something a bit warmer. I love a buttery old cut. I only have a moissanite and my grandmothers heirloom diamond, so this will be my first actual diamond purchase. I’m in no rush, just trying to find ‘the one’.

I saw that and I love the cut. The nice thing with the antique cuts is I do not mind the cut not being perfect. I expect it not to be. This one is so pretty, but it does have a lot of color. I don’t mind it, but it depends on you!
I agree about the cut. In my head I thought ‘oh it looks more natural that way.’
Here is my two cents since I was considering this OEC for a long time but decided to scrap the project.

First, I’ve seen a lower price for this listing at around 10% discount last week so I recommend reaching out to see if they still honor that.

Second, the cut is nice. People forget that older cuts are not perfect and that’s what makes them beautiful.

Third, The color is a warmer color which is appropriate because that’s what older cut has. I think nowadays we all want the whitest white and cut perfection but OEC is about imperfection and an old style look.

As long as you are okay with the inclusion.

It comes to down to 800-900 per carat which is a good deal for OEC.

I’m having a hard time seeing the inclusion in the picture alone, but I think I can see it in the video. I will post it.

Buttercookies

Brilliant_Rock
Watch his close up video on the original listing and pay attention to these white inclusion I’ve shown in the photo.
39B12DCE-4BBC-414F-843F-98FBC7C25B80.jpeg
63CA9921-12C0-488E-B319-7D770B668E10.jpeg

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
I have bought from Vijay and would consider a larger purchase one day, but I'm not a fan of his OECs. I love old cuts for their tall crowns personally. It's a nice stone but it's a fair brown tint on it which may be more pronounced set in platinum. Would be a fun project for a rose gold ring tho.

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
I've also been eyeing this stone. Not that I need one at ALL, but it's a really good match to a natural transitional cut I have and love (Ouros is definitely cutting more of a transitional, not an OEC). I think it will look really lovely but warm; the inclusions look fairly subtle to me but it may be I1 if graded. Confirmed, though, that the price was about 10% lower last week so you should ask for that especially if you have him do the setting (and I would recommend that). I've gotten a pair of earrings and 2 bands and pleased with the workmanship although I wouldn't necessarily assume he could do something complicated with a ton of finesse.

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I think it's a gorgeous stone with tons of personality. And for an LG it has more natural looking growth than "normal" if that makes sense. I like the imperfections and I like the price point even more.

sunflowerstate

Shiny_Rock
I feel very torn. If I go for it, maybe 18k yellow or rose gold? I’m scared of buying it and then hating it. This is an important purchase to me and is also a very expensive purchase for me. I wish he had other stones available. Is there anywhere else I can look at lab old cuts? I checked out New World Diamonds but couldn’t find old cuts on their site.

sunflowerstate

Shiny_Rock
I realize this is not an old cut per say, but definitely gives me that vibe…

sunflowerstate

Shiny_Rock
I love this one but for some reason I can’t pull the trigger on it.

HS4S_2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think the color and cut look great. The inclusion would bother me though. It's one of those things I would see all the time....I know this about myself.

Jon from Distinctive Gem sells lab August Vintage Rounds. I have several and they are equally as beautiful as his mined diamond AVRs. They are not as budget friendly though.

sunflowerstate

Shiny_Rock
I think the color and cut look great. The inclusion would bother me though. It's one of those things I would see all the time....I know this about myself.

Jon from Distinctive Gem sells lab August Vintage Rounds. I have several and they are equally as beautiful as his mined diamond AVRs. They are not as budget friendly though.

His work is stunning but yeah, my budget for this is around $2500-$2700. Ideally lower but I know you pay for what you get.

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
I feel very torn. If I go for it, maybe 18k yellow or rose gold? I’m scared of buying it and then hating it. This is an important purchase to me and is also a very expensive purchase for me. I wish he had other stones available. Is there anywhere else I can look at lab old cuts? I checked out New World Diamonds but couldn’t find old cuts on their site.

Jon at Distinctive Gem will custom cut a variety of old cuts in lab diamonds. https://www.distinctivegem.com/prod...e-european-cut-diamond?variant=29208542216297 they're a lot more expensive though.

I think the Ouros stone would be amazing in rose gold.

Not a fan of the disorganized facet pattern on the DBL ring.

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
For what it's worth, it REALLY looks like this transitional cut I have, and while it's definitely not an OEC look (not so bubbly, less fire due to low crown, etc) it's also what you get when you pull off an 8mm stone at about 2ct. A 2ct OEC (e.g. Distinctive Gem) will face up smaller because it's a deeper stone. 8mm for $2k is a lot of diamond. 20211106_144352-COLLAGE.jpg

HS4S_2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
His work is stunning but yeah, my budget for this is around $2500-$2700. Ideally lower but I know you pay for what you get.

I think the one you found looks good. The inclusion isn't something that would bother everyone. The color is great. I think I would go for it. I looked and couldn't find anything as nice!

Last edited:

Buttercookies

Brilliant_Rock

Honestly. I think it’s a great choice and budget friendly. I have not seen that price for that cut anywhere else. I almost pull the trigger as well but I’m into gemstone more.

sunflowerstate

Shiny_Rock
Honestly. I think it’s a great choice and budget friendly. I have not seen that price for that cut anywhere else. I almost pull the trigger as well but I’m into gemstone more.
I wanted to find a sapphire for ages and I still do— that’s next on the list!

sunflowerstate

Shiny_Rock
I’ve looked on Ivy and Rose, Ruby Lane, Loupe Troop, and Diamond Bistro… anywhere else I should be looking?

sunflowerstate

Shiny_Rock
For what it's worth, it REALLY looks like this transitional cut I have, and while it's definitely not an OEC look (not so bubbly, less fire due to low crown, etc) it's also what you get when you pull off an 8mm stone at about 2ct. A 2ct OEC (e.g. Distinctive Gem) will face up smaller because it's a deeper stone. 8mm for $2k is a lot of diamond. 20211106_144352-COLLAGE.jpg

YUM. Your ring is beautiful. I love the setting!!

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
I’ve looked on Ivy and Rose, Ruby Lane, Loupe Troop, and Diamond Bistro… anywhere else I should be looking?

There are some sellers on Instagram, but you'll need to be super quick. Parksfinegroup sometimes sells lab grown diamonds in interesting cuts pretty inexpensively, but not as cheap as Ouros prices and I can't recall seeing an OEC/transitional on there. :think: My transitional (Ivy & Rose setting) was from jewelsbywhitney on Instagram but she only sells natural diamonds (at great prices but considerably more than twice the price as Ouros for equivalent size/quality). I'm pretty sure this is the cheapest nicely cut crystallized carbon you can get for ~$2k set.

SomethingNew

Shiny_Rock
Premium
another great option is Tianyu gem. their prices are really good. I never bought from them but quite a few pricescopers did and had good experience. A 2ct for less than $2k is really good, I also considered buying from Ouros about 6 mos ago, but ended up didn’t. I think I am going to get the one from light box in the near future.

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
another great option is Tianyu gem. their prices are really good. I never bought from them but quite a few pricescopers did and had good experience. A 2ct for less than $2k is really good, I also considered buying from Ouros about 6 mos ago, but ended up didn’t. I think I am going to get the one from light box in the near future.

How do I figure out how to look through their inventory? Too many hits on Google for me to trust it, haha -- or is it one of those things where you work directly with an actual person to get what you want?

For the record, I did have Vijay at Ouros custom make two bands and they came out exactly like the "inspiration" (ie the generic bezel band he copied). So I've worked directly with him and found him very straightforward for a simple design. (Solitaire is JA, bezel band is Ouros - you can now buy the band, somewhat cheaper, from Ouros's Etsy store haha -- that's why the band doesn't fit the model in his photos, her fingers are thinner than mine :lol: )
PXL_20211108_010623381.jpg

oliverave

Rough_Rock
How do I figure out how to look through their inventory? Too many hits on Google for me to trust it, haha -- or is it one of those things where you work directly with an actual person to get what you want?

For the record, I did have Vijay at Ouros custom make two bands and they came out exactly like the "inspiration" (ie the generic bezel band he copied). So I've worked directly with him and found him very straightforward for a simple design. (Solitaire is JA, bezel band is Ouros - you can now buy the band, somewhat cheaper, from Ouros's Etsy store haha -- that's why the band doesn't fit the model in his photos, her fingers are thinner than mine :lol: )
PXL_20211108_010623381.jpg

Ok bare with me here for a minute:

Here is their main Alibaba page. *However*, I recently ordered a stone from a different company and the stone I originally chose was already sold. There is some speculation that some companies keep sold stones up to generate interest-customer asks about a sold out stone and they come up with alternatives to make the sale. My stone is still up on the website but for $175 more expensive. I had reached out to my preferred rep to complete the sale instead of going through Alibaba and I believe she gave me a discount. I don't know what would have happened had I completed the sale on Alibaba.

With all that being said, I got an amazing deal on my stone and I would totally buy from one of the Chinese companies again. I would instead just order directly from a rep instead of spending hours going through and picking the perfect stone just in case it was sold out. Here is the email address for Ella: [email protected] and Emily: [email protected], per the r/moissanite sub wiki. If you reach out to them they can assign you a rep. I prefer to chat on instagram, so here's Ella's Instagram and here's Emily's Instagram

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
I have an OMC from Ouros and it looks like how it looked in Ouros’s photos. So what you see is probably what you’ll get.

Tianyu looks like they have very budget friendly oecs on their website in LG and moissanite. I have seen modern Tianyu LGs around the web but not antique Tianyu LGs other than their loose stones for sale. Somebody go buy some :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results