shape
carat
color
clarity

Announcement Our superstar- Garry Holloway!!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Garry's been tapped for an expert panel discussing the future of Natural and Lab grown diamonds.
Thursday 4pm. Be there, or be square:)

[Edited by PSAdmin to include the link for convenience]

Update from Branko: due to extremely high interest in the topic and our great panelists Zoom room might be full at the time you log in, so please Watch us at
YouTube Live CHANNEL at
brankogems and ag&j https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=brankogems+and+ag&j

Last edited by a moderator:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very cool! Will try to watch!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice!!! I’ll definitely dial in!! :appl:

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks David,
Might be more appropriate on Rocky Talky because I will be explaining why LGDs will cause good quality large natural diamond prices to go through the roof.

Interesting view..., will this happen after we will be able to order a coffee table made out of LGD? :evil2:

Will be listening.....

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
Can’t wait - just put it in my calendar!

Von03

Shiny_Rock
Very cool. I have had the pleasure of meeting Sean Moore many times at Borsheims.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
To watch it live, do we go to their YouTube channel on the day/time? Or do we need to sign up to receive a link?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
To watch it live, do we go to their YouTube channel on the day/time? Or do we need to sign up to receive a link?

Here is a link to Rob Bates on JCK industry website for registration:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks David,
Might be more appropriate on Rocky Talky because I will be explaining why LGDs will cause good quality large natural diamond prices to go through the roof.

I'd appreciate it if you'd tell us why before you tell the world so we can grab our big diamonds before the prices go through the roof!!! :lol: And what is large? No effect on smaller natural diamonds?

I hope someone will report back on the whole event. I can't watch Thursday at 4:00.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'd appreciate it if you'd tell us why before you tell the world so we can grab our big diamonds before the prices go through the roof!!! :lol: And what is large? No effect on smaller natural diamonds?

I hope someone will report back on the whole event. I can't watch Thursday at 4:00.

There will be a Youtube video available after a week or two DS.
Large is bigger than commercial HPHT now CVD is the money maker.
HPHT has the same issues as natural as in it costs a lot more to make much larger diamonds.
Natural diamond scarcity is size based and so double the carat weight costs about 4 times more.
Double CVD polished diamond weight costs a tiny extra amount.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamond inventory seems to be very low. Do you think more diamonds will be released soon or do you think we should not expect them to be available anytime soon?

marrduk24

Shiny_Rock
Diamond inventory seems to be very low. Do you think more diamonds will be released soon or do you think we should not expect them to be available anytime soon?

I wonder how much of it is true reduction in rough because of mines getting shut & reduction in Polished because of factories in Surat getting shut vs artificial scarcity created by the likes of De Beers/ Alrosa/ Rio etc. I guess closure of Argyle mine is a factor too.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder how much of it is true reduction in rough because of mines getting shut & reduction in Polished because of factories in Surat getting shut vs artificial scarcity created by the likes of De Beers/ Alrosa/ Rio etc. I guess closure of Argyle mine is a factor too.

I don’t know the reason and I’m sure it could be one or any combination of the reasons you have mentioned. I just wonder what the outlook is for the foreseeable future. Inventory seems stretched thin for now!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

This happened because the Surat cutting centre was badly hit by Covid

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Any idea when it might be operational again?

Surat is almost back to full production. The Indian govt stopped importation of rough at one stage. The miners were then forced to slow or stop working. Some mines were closed because of covid. etc

marrduk24

Shiny_Rock
Surat is almost back to full production. The Indian govt stopped importation of rough at one stage. The miners were then forced to slow or stop working. Some mines were closed because of covid. etc

Garry, I am sure that’s a big part of it. But seems there is more to it. Talking to a couple of cutting houses in Antwerp (a few boutique ones that are still left there), it seems supply of rough is very limited and rough prices have gone up. So seems like the whole value chain from mining of rough to polishing is impacted.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Not a diamond hound myself but will try to tune in since it’s a really interesting subject that has been discussed here for years.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Good presentation Garry! Really enjoyed it and learn a lot.

marrduk24

Shiny_Rock
As someone who knows very little about lab grown diamonds, one perception/ doubt I carry is how does one know that a $20k lab grown diamond won’t be worth $2k tomorrow.

Its a major physiological shock when something you bought has lost a significant portion of its value, even if the value was paper value to begin with.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Garry,
I am disagree that CVD will improve cut quality because CVD has not enough depth for deep diamonds. CVD will improve cut quality and variability because CVD is cheap.

Please check samples of very shallow CVD polished diamonds https://cutwise.com/~E2Uk?v=M0cd

Screenshot 2021-03-15 at 22.58.20.png

Screenshot 2021-03-15 at 22.55.20.png

Sergey I know we disagree on the optimal depth (crown pavilion angle) and you prefer slightly deeper than me.
But I think you agree than the vast majority of natural diamonds are pushed to steeper deeper than we both prefer?
I am going to hazard a guess and say that the blue line would be close to your sweet line Sergey?

Do we agree that more creativity and experimental cuts would be the ultimate benefit in the case of CVD diamonds?
Since De Beers did a pus 20 years ago the new cuts have almost dropped from the worlds radar and very few actually stuck!

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sergey I know we disagree on the optimal depth (crown pavilion angle) and you prefer slightly deeper than me.
But I think you agree than the vast majority of natural diamonds are pushed to steeper deeper than we both prefer?

Garry, did you check Pavilion and crown angles in samples https://cutwise.com/~E2Uk?v=M0cd ?

What angles combination in steep/deep diamonds give similar Brilliancy and Fire in compare with these poor shallow diamonds?

I do not see many bad Steep/deep RBC in last years because GIA system blocks such proportions but I am very often see ugly shallow diamonds .
Screenshot 2021-03-16 at 09.55.59.png

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Since De Beers did a pus 20 years ago the new cuts have almost dropped from the worlds radar and very few actually stuck!

I see the current situation differently .
1)More and more Fancy cuts with really high optical performance come to market instead that we saw 20 years ago. 20 years ago we saw just new cuts with expensive marketing, now we see new cuts with high performance . see for example sirius-star-diamonds

2) cutters are improving old designs.[/MEDIA]

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Garry, where do you buy diamonds if you mainly see natural diamonds with Pavilion 41.7 /crown35.0?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results