shape
carat
color
clarity

Oregon Sunstone....

zeenabh

Rough_Rock
I've found my dream setting for my engagement ring. As I am novice I need help in finding the right center stone. I fell in love with the Oregon Sunstone. I've been all over the net trying to find the right stone. It seems hopeless. Maybe someone here can help... I want a pale/pastel pink schiller oregon sunstone similar to the picture attached.

il_128.jpg

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oregon sunstone is beautiful - I have one that Jerry from Gemart Services cut, so you could try to reach out to him and see if he has some rough that would fit what you're looking for. However, you may want to consider a different type of stone for an engagement ring. Sunstone isn't a hard enough stone to withstand daily wear as a ring - I wanted to set mine as a ring, but ended up setting it as a pendant in large part for this reason. If you want to stay away from diamonds, I would suggest you consider fancy colored sapphires or, perhaps, a light pink spinel - perhaps there are even peachy-pink spinels - they come in a range of colors, and they have a hardness and durability that would be more suited for a daily ring than a sunstone. I'm sure others will chime in, but I thought it was worth raising before you hunt down a sunstone that you fall in love with.

cm366

Shiny_Rock
Jim Rentfrow from Flawless Facets has recently gotten a bunch of very fine sunstone and may be acting as a distributor for a new mine. I'd email him with specs, I'm sure he'll have something good!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not recommend a sunstone as an engagement ring unless you are prepared to replace it every few months.

Per Roger Dery, a lapidarist:
Mohs lower than 6-1/2 - Apatite, Opal, Orthoclase/Sunstone, Scapolite, Sphene and Sphalerite and other low hardness gems all need special care to be worn in rings. It is generally accepted that these gems are best suited for pendants, pins, brooches or earrings.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/lowest-mohs-hardness-for-rings-other-decisive-factors.176872/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/lowest-mohs-hardness-for-rings-other-decisive-factors.176872/[/URL]

zeenabh

Rough_Rock
Awe its breaking my heart to learn I cannot use this stone in my ring :((

VirginiaZee

Shiny_Rock
I'm guessing you love the color of the sunstone (not necessarily the stone itself, as in your e-ring *must* be a sunstone)? As mentioned, either sapphire or spinel would be a good choice for a ring and can come in similar peachy/pink colors. :)) It might be worth contacting some of the precision cutters in the "respected vendors" sticky to see if they have any stones that are similar in color to the sunstone you like. Happy stone hunting!

ETA: Maybe you could make a special necklace out of a sunstone? That could be a fun project too. :))

zeenabh

Rough_Rock
After reading the posts in this thread I took a look at the gems mentioned... didn't really like any of them. If the sunstone isn't the right gem I'm not sure what is my next move :( It isn't just the color its also the schiller. There is something about the sunstone.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, if you get a cabochon sunstone, which are very popular, you can have it polished every so often. I would just be careful wearing it.

I probably wouldn't get a traditional faceted one for an ering.

VirginiaZee

Shiny_Rock
You can still get a sunstone for a ring, people are just making sure you know that you will most likely need to be very careful with it, and the stone will likely show damage even with careful wear. For instance, I've worn a small tanzanite ring for 8 years and even with careful wear it's got a scratched table and two chips on the girdle. For me personally, that bugs me and I'm casually looking for a different stone to make into a new ring. But it's really about you, and what you're looking for in a ring.

zeenabh

Rough_Rock
I appreciate the help. As I've stated I'm a novice and need help. Daniel from Custom Gem said he might have what I'm looking for. I will ask him about a cabochon sunstone. Being a SAHM I thought I would still be able to use the sunstone as my center stone without it becoming to worn.

VirginiaZee

Shiny_Rock
I haven't bought any stones from Dan but his cutting looks amazing. :) I hope you find a lovely stone that's just perfect for you!

ruffysdad

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Also, you might want to look at using a protective mount on it. No solitaire or anything like that but if the mounting will shield it from bumps, scrapes and other damage, you might be able to use it as an engagement ring

Pete

estelle

Rough_Rock
Jeanniebabi82|1395153494|3636436 said:
I appreciate the help. As I've stated I'm a novice and need help. Daniel from Custom Gem said he might have what I'm looking for. I will ask him about a cabochon sunstone. Being a SAHM I thought I would still be able to use the sunstone as my center stone without it becoming to worn.

Dan is a most trusted vendor. His cutting is fantastic. You would not go wrong with using him dear. You might be able to use sunstone if you surround it in metal somehow to protect the stone. If you are aware of the Mohs and are careful with the ring, you should have what you love. :)

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
I love Oregon Sunstone too. I really want to get some stud earrings. It's really cool!

I wore a tourmaline ring for years and it does show damage. It's not ruined, per se, but I should probably get it repolished at some point. I have also had an Opal ring Crack and break right there on my hand when I thought I was babying it!

I agree with others that a cab in a protective setting might be the way to go. Or why about a star sapphire? Or a bicolor? There are lots of sapphires, spinels, and alexandrite/chrysoberyl that have interesting phenomenon. Sadly, nothing else Schiller. Oregon Sunstone is a special and beautiful gem!

zeenabh

Rough_Rock
ruffysdad|1395154894|3636443 said:
Also, you might want to look at using a protective mount on it. No solitaire or anything like that but if the mounting will shield it from bumps, scrapes and other damage, you might be able to use it as an engagement ring

Pete

Can you post an example of the setting?

It seems I can either have the setting I want or the gem but not both.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results