shape
carat
color
clarity

Oregon Sunstone Jewelry

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I recently fell in love with Oregon Sunstone and purchased several pieces from Rogue Lapidary in Medford, Oregon. They sell as sparklequest on etsy. Link I worked with the folks at Rogue and my local jeweler to come up with a small sunstone suite. I think they are pretty sweet. (Pun intended
9.gif
)

I''ll begin with a photo I already posted on the Catch All thread, p. 49. It gives you some idea of the shiller of this material, but I''ve tried to capture it with some more photos to come. On the left is a facted briolette I wear as a pendant. The photo on the right shows a couple of small briolettes I wear as earrings and a couple of drops I can attach and wear together as a pendant.

OregonSunstone9666by2.JPG

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Here is a vendor photo of the brios and drops together. I was asking how they would look together, and they kindly obliged with a photo.

OreSunstoneVendorBrios2.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I had the vendor add these simple 14k caps to the larger sunstone drops. They had already capped the smaller drops.

OreCapVendorPhoto.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
To complete the suite I also purchased this 9 x 12 mm pear cabochon to have made into a ring. Here is the vendor photo. By the way, this stone was on clearance and cost less than $20.
9.gif

OregonSunstonePearVendorPhoto1.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think oregon sunstone is such an affordable, yet really cool stone. Very pretty!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
As I was saying to Cehrabehra yesterday in her "fell for a color" thread, this shape of stone looks lovely in a simple bezel setting. I had the stone set into a ring with a thin yellow gold bezel, a backing of pure silver to reflect back the light, and a brushed band of sterling. I''m wearing it in this direction because the shiller in the stone looks a bit better to me from this side. And, watching the shiller is a lot of the fun. The jeweler is Janishjewels on etsy. I use her for simple bezels like this because it is a specialty of hers and her work is stunning.

OregonSunstoneRing9707.JPG

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, TL. Yes, I love wearing affordable stones. I worry a lot less about breakage.
1.gif

The sun was out briefly last week, and I got a few sun photos. There is nothing quite like sunstone in the sun.

I'll begin with the pendant briolette.

OregonSunstone9745.JPG

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
The pendant stone and the two drops in the sun. As you can see, the shiller is different, but I think they go together just fine.

OregonSunstone9752.JPG

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Another sun shot.

OregonSunstone9768.JPG

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Get ready for a few more of these because I can''t decide which photo I like best.

OregonSunstone9770b.JPG

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
And another.

OregonSunstone9772c.JPG

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Last one of these.

OregonSunstone9773.JPG

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Now for the earrings. My jeweler added small wires with tiny loops on the end so I can wear them as drops from my studs. An ear shot.

OregonSunstoneEarring9675.JPG

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Another. I am delighted with how the shiller shills in these small brios. The shiller is directional, so I am a bit careful with the direction when I mount the brios on the studs, but they turned out to be better performers than I was expecting.
1.gif

OregonSunstoneEarring9723.JPG

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I''ll finish up with a neck shot showing the two necklaces with the brio and the drops worn together. I had this set of necklaces made last year so I could change out the briolettes or drops. It has turned out to be a fun piece.

Thanks for coming by and looking.
35.gif

OregonSunstone9689.JPG

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you! Those are beautiful! I think you''re right that the two types go well together the way you have one long and one short... The more striated ones remind me of old marbles... but much prettier :) I like the stone in your ring the best I think... I will have to see one in person next time I''m back in Oregon.

I do have a question - about the backing of your stone - is this recommended? The gold is so complimentary as a bezel and I get doing the band in silver for cost, but why the choice to back the ring at all and in silver and not gold? Just curious - I''m completely ignorant on this... should I be considering putting a backing on my aqua? Hmm... I kinda just assumed it would be naked back there!

ps - I love briolettes!

there is just something sexy about the sunstones - they look like shimmery nudes or something...

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/8/2010 10:09:08 AM
Author: Cehrabehra
Thank you! Those are beautiful! I think you're right that the two types go well together the way you have one long and one short... The more striated ones remind me of old marbles... but much prettier :) I like the stone in your ring the best I think... I will have to see one in person next time I'm back in Oregon.

I do have a question - about the backing of your stone - is this recommended? The gold is so complimentary as a bezel and I get doing the band in silver for cost, but why the choice to back the ring at all and in silver and not gold? Just curious - I'm completely ignorant on this... should I be considering putting a backing on my aqua? Hmm... I kinda just assumed it would be naked back there!

ps - I love briolettes!

there is just something sexy about the sunstones - they look like shimmery nudes or something...
Thank you, Cehra. I've had other cabochons set with different metal backings. When I set my garnet cabs, I was fortunate enough to be able to take them in to the designer in person and we played around with different colors of gold metal. It can really change the look. (Link to thread.) You could also have the back completely open, which is how I've had some of my earring cabochons set, primarily to save weight (I hate heavy earrings). Frankly, I'd wait until you get the stone, then try setting it on different color metals and on your hand and in different lighting, and see which you like best. The particular designer I used for this ring often uses a pure silver backing which essentially gives the stone a very reflective white background. She says that pure silver will not tarnish, and so far, so good.

ETA - I agree about the sensual pleasure of sunstones. The brios also have a pleasing click as I wear them. They sound tough, a bit like the marbles you mentioned, and not brittle at all.

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Great set, and I really love the ring.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I found another neck shot, but wearing a different color shirt. A bit better background color.

Thank you, colorluvr.

OregonSunstone9670a.JPG

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
those look great, and the ring is so fab!! How was it working with Janishjewels?

-A

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I''m really liking sunstones lately. Yours are beautiful.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/8/2010 10:56:25 AM
Author: Arcadian
those look great, and the ring is so fab!! How was it working with Janishjewels?

-A
Thank you, Arcadian. Janishjewels is great. Now, I prefer to use a jeweler's specialty, where I can just point to a design and say, 'I want mine to look just like this'. I think her simple bezels are absolutely perfect for a stone like this, so I went with her. Turnaround on her end was only 1 day both times I've used her. Prices are competitive as well. Workmanship is clean and careful. All in all, I give her 5 stars.
36.gif

BTW, she also set my star rose quarz last year. Link

Thank you, too, oddoneout.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
FG-what a fabulous set! They are look like really fun pieces to wear!!!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
A great set! Love the bezel ring and the other pieces are nice too. I really like how this color looks in combination with yellow gold.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Very, very lovely. Flygirl, I'm sure I've told you before, but I just love your taste and sense of style.

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
They are all so beautifully made. And I love your star rose quartz ring.
30.gif

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/8/2010 11:18:05 AM
Author: Fly Girl

Date: 5/8/2010 10:56:25 AM
Author: Arcadian

-A
Thank you, Arcadian. Janishjewels is great. Now, I prefer to use a jeweler''s specialty, where I can just point to a design and say, ''I want mine to look just like this''. I think her simple bezels are absolutely perfect for a stone like this, so I went with her. Turnaround on her end was only 1 day both times I''ve used her. Prices are competitive as well. Workmanship is clean and careful. All in all, I give her 5 stars.
36.gif

BTW, she also set my star rose quarz last year. Link

Thank you, too, oddoneout.
thanks so much, and yeah I now remember that ring... They''re just in NY so not far from me. I''ll be sending a few things their way
1.gif

-A

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much stepcutnut, ma re, IndyLady, and vigoruby.
1.gif

Arcadian, looking forward to your new pieces. Please post pics when you get them back.

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Love your sunstones Fly Girl!
30.gif
You have some of the coolest jewelry, very nicely done!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love all these!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results