shape
carat
color
clarity

Ordered a Custom Crafted by Infinity Diamond !!!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recently ordered a “Custom” Crafted by Infinity Diamond !!!

Some background: Until now, I have owned only fancy cut e-ring diamonds: a .75 E-I1 Marquise now set in a pendant, a 1.47 F-VS1 Marquise now in a RHR, a 2.05 D-VS2 Oval that I traded in for my 3.01 F-SI1 Pear, and most recently, a Tiffany .80 Fancy Yellow Modified Brilliant Cushion. So I am a little late in joining the H & A, SuperIdeal, and AGS0 party … but I want to play in the sandbox too.

After a 10-year history with Wink, where he delivered two beautiful tennis bracelets (.33s and .20s FIY), a FIY pendant, and a Richard Homer sapphire recut, I felt it was time to own a round brilliant diamond.

I knew that my round brilliant had to be a Crafted By Infinity Diamond. Why? Because I had previously seen these beautiful diamonds in-person at a Crafted By Infinity “Meet the Cutter” event. As the CBI website says, they plan, cut, and polish the world's strictest, most consistent brand of high-performance diamonds. I have to say, based on my experience as a Gemologist (GIA), cut enthusiast and diamond-addict, that I can attest that this is true. In addition to reaching the highest level of dazzling performance, their diamonds have the mind-clean pedigree, performance, and precision that I desire. I also find it special that they are boutique cutters, actually selecting and producing every CBI diamond in Antwerp. Paul and Lieve have direct involvement in all of the only 1,000 CBI diamonds cut in a given year. It was a no-brainer for me to contact Wink about this latest project.

To begin, I scoured all available Crafted By Infinity Diamonds on Wink’s HighPerformanceDiamonds.com website but could not find the color, clarity, and carat weight of a diamond I wanted to buy. As far as cut was concerned I already knew all CBI diamonds are precision-cut, beyond the requirements of AGS0, so that wasn’t a problem. But finding “MY” perfect carat, color and clarity was a problem. Wink then suggested that I commission a “Custom” cut CBI diamond.

Well that was a new concept to me because ALL of my prior e-ring diamonds were bought at B&M stores where I could inspect the diamonds (and their grading reports) before I bought them. They didn’t have IS or ASET images back then. However, I did know how to read a GIA-GTL report since I had completed the GIA Diamonds and Diamond Grading classes on my way to earning my Gemologist (GIA) Diploma in 1989. Sadly, I never worked in the industry (Software Engineering and Project Management instead) but took the classes for my personal enjoyment as there was no Pricescope back then either.

Wink then sent me an email that described the CBI “Custom Cutting” process:

From Wink: “You tell us what you want and we go looking. When we find something and analyze it, then we call you and tell you what it will weigh and what we believe that it will come out.

At that time you get to pay us, in full. We buy the starting piece, whether rough or just a well-priced poorly cut diamond. We will have guaranteed you something like this: 2.04cts G-VS2. If it comes out down to 2.00cts G-VS2 we will reduce the price to reflect the slightly lower weight. If it comes out something like 1.98 G-VS2 obviously we have not delivered something even close in value to what you asked for and you are either refunded, or we seek another starting piece and start crafting your diamond again. If it comes out a 2.10 F-VS1 you make out like a bandit as you have already paid the agreed upon price for the finished diamond.

In other words, you have no downside. We give you what you were promised or better, or you get your money back. If we produce what we promised, there is no changing of the mind, with the exception of course, that we will always buy your diamond back at 80% of what you paid.

Paul knows what he can buy the starting piece for and what he needs to make a profit and what he stands to lose if he is estimating too high. He then factors all of that in and gives you a price. You get what you paid for, or better, or your money will be refunded.”

That sounded agreeable so I talked it over with dear hubby who said that I should get 2.00 cts. (This same hubby said I should do .20s FIYs for my most recent bracelet). Ouch, I knew that achieving that barrier added an additional premium to the cost. Fine, OK, and because I already owned an F-SI1 pear, I felt that this was a good color/clarity combo for me.

The process started with a conference call in early September. Happily, Wink Jones, owner of HighPerformanceDiamonds.com, and John Pollard, United States Executive for Crafted by Infinity Diamonds happened to be together on business so I spoke with both of them. I told them what my requirements were (a 2.00+ ct., F-SI1) and we also discussed preferred Lower Girdle Halves, Pavilion Angles and other minutia which I’ve become attuned-to.

A week later there was another conference call with Wink in Boise, John in Texas and Paul In Antwerp (spanning 4 time zones) where Paul, who is the Managing Director of Crafted by Infinity Diamonds, presented two candidates that could possibly become my personal Crafted By Infinity diamond (2.15 ct. and 2.30 ct. estimated finished weight). Per Paul, both diamonds were top SI1 clarity and had negligible fluorescence. The larger one had a stronger F color. The estimated finished diameter of the smaller one was 8.4 mm while it was 8.6 mm for the larger. Although there was a slight premium for exceeding the 2.20 ct. mark, hubby and I decided on the larger diamond mainly because of its stronger color. I know that I have color sensitive eyes because I have scored 100% correct on the Munsell Color Hue Test. At the end of the dialogue Paul said he would do a final analysis and give us a go/no go decision in the morning on whether the larger diamond could be cut to Crafted by Infinity standards.

Wink sent me an email the next morning to say that Paul gave the starting-diamond a “GO” and is guaranteeing at least a 2.30 ct. F-SI1 AGS0 diamond cut to CBI standards. I wired money to Wink and now the waiting game begins for a target delivery date of mid-late November.

I am very excited to finally own a CBI diamond and to become part of the CBI family.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW! a big congrats to you Cf!... :appl: :appl: can't wait to see this beauty, it'll be one amazing stone!. Love the F SI1 combo!.. :love:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
awesome! congrates.

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very excited for you! Thanks for letting us know the details of the whole custom process!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How exciting - until November!

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for sharing the details, this will be an exciting adventure for you no doubt!! :appl:

Now comes the hard part--the wait! :errrr:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats, I can't wait to see it!!!! How are you going to set it?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
arkieb1|1411781708|3757639 said:
Into a gent's setting for DF.. :praise:

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1411783125|3757650 said:
arkieb1|1411781708|3757639 said:
Into a gent's setting for DF.. :praise:

Ha Ha, are you going to set your Octavia into a ladies setting?

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DF/Storm: Thank you, this is as exciting for me as cutting DF's Octavia was for you guys

mom2boys: Thank you

MGR/sarahb: Ah yes the waiting ... this reminds me of the 5 months I waited for Brannen to make my 14K Rose Gold flute, ordered it in April and delivered in September. I looked at a lot of "How It's Made" videos while waiting. Guess I can continue to look at Wink's CBI videos while waiting for this baby. This is not so bad as I waited just as long for the FIY bracelet/pendant project where Paul Slegers sourced those beautiful Fancy Intense Yellow round diamonds.

arkieb1: it will probably go into a Vatche U-113. I want to admire this baby in all its glory with nothing to detract from its beauty.

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Cflutist - you're new diamond sounds amazing!!!

I am so excited for you - I would be jumping out of my skin between now and November. I've only ever done a custom stone in the CS world, and I remember what an incredible rush it was when I found out that there was a piece of rough available as well as the anticipation that followed when the waiting game began - I can only imagine what it must be like for a diamond! I can't wait to see the finished stone, as it sounds like it will be an absolute dream!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cf, will this diamond come from a rough or by re-cutting an existing stone?

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
That is utterly fascinating, thank you so much for posting all the details!

Very excited for you, I can't wait to see the diamond- I love how meaningful it becomes when you have such a high regard for the people you are working with and to think that your diamond is cut just for you, it really just adds something, IMHO.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Can't wait to see it! :appl: :appl: :appl:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is so cool!!! I am not sure which I am more excited about your 14K flute or your new Infinity stone - I imagine both are beautiful... :clap: :clap:

I used to play the flute as a child many many eons ago and have a really dark and moody sounding silver antique Louis Lot and a bright and tinkling silver flute handmade by an obscure flute maker here in Australia. :D

I am trying to remember the guy in the US that used to make flutes with the ornate leaves draped over the keys - no idea how they sounded but they were visual works of art!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Exciting!! :dance:

I bet you can't wait :D

I'm excited for you, a CBI diamond that big is going to be phenomenal, especially in an F! The F I have bought is beautiful and I'm very happy with it - it's not icy blue but a lovely neutral colour that is really hard to describe... It's not creamy at all, but it's not blue - it's somehow 'just right' without looking like a too-good-to-be-true simulant that a D might look like to some people, or like the warmer colours that are more evident in bigger stones!

I can't wait to see your review and thoughts when it arrives :D

Lenapie

Rough_Rock
It sounds divine! Cannot wait to see pictures of the finished creation! :D

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very cool! Will you get any progress pics?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How exciting! I'm looking forward to seeing the finished project - and hearing about any progress reports you might get, if you wouldn't mind sharing them! :wink2: :bigsmile: Will the finished stone be sent to GIA or AGL for grading?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How very exciting.
It's going to be fantastic! :clap:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How exciting for you!!! It will be fabulous :appl:

giraffeh

Rough_Rock
Super exciting! Can't wait to see how it turns out =)

Is there a premium cost associated with getting a custom diamond by CBI vs buying from existing inventory? I'd love to get a CBI diamond but they have very few in the range i'm looking

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1411787634|3757680 said:

To be honest I didn’t discuss that with Paul and all that matters is that I’m getting a "custom" Crafted by Infinity diamond.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1411920787|3758176 said:
How exciting! I'm looking forward to seeing the finished project - and hearing about any progress reports you might get, if you wouldn't mind sharing them! :wink2: :bigsmile: Will the finished stone be sent to GIA or AGL for grading?

ALL Crafted By Infinity diamonds are AGS0, SuperIdeal, H & A diamonds so it makes sense that my finished diamond will also be sent to AGSL where it can get a meaningful cut grade. This is the consistency of their precise cutting that I was talking about.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow. This is huge! I can't wait to see it cflutist!!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cflutist|1411965628|3758470 said:
Dancing Fire|1411787634|3757680 said:

To be honest I didn’t discuss that with Paul and all that matters is that I’m getting a "custom" Crafted by Infinity diamond.
It doesn't really matter if it is cut from an existing stone or from a rough b/c It'll still be a dynamite.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
giraffeh|1411965106|3758467 said:
Super exciting! Can't wait to see how it turns out =)

Is there a premium cost associated with getting a custom diamond by CBI vs buying from existing inventory? I'd love to get a CBI diamond but they have very few in the range i'm looking

Asscherhalo_lover|1411918300|3758161 said:
Very cool! Will you get any progress pics?

If so, that would be a bonus.
I’m not being charged any premium for the diamond so I’m not expecting that.

Where it’s a custom job for me, Paul referred to it as "cut-to-order" because I’m getting a combination that CBI doesn’t currently have, and for no extra cost.

I love the fact that we had dialogue about several different outcomes of color-clarity-weight that were possible, and talked the techy details. So from the first selection and planning, all of this is being done specifically for me.

I’m told that CBI has done fairly regular "cut-to-orders" of 2-3 cts, but they also refuse certain requests where the combination is impractical, for example sizes between 1.80-1.99 or 2.80-2.99. Technically it can be done but for them to get the proper starting diamond material they would need to pay the premium of the “magic” weight above the final CBI, and that would make the order over-priced, in Paul’s opinion.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LLJsmom|1411970021|3758495 said:
Wow. This is huge! I can't wait to see it cflutist!!

I wouldn't say "huge" but it is the right size for my size 4.5 finger imo.

My pear is more elongated and is 7.93 mm x 12.99 mm.

A 3 ct round would have been 9.3 mm which I think is a bit much.

This diamond will be perfect around 8.5 - 8.6 mm.

Now if I had size 6 or 7 fingers, then maybe 9.3 mm would be nice :naughty:

For me, it is all about balance.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OoohShiny|1411800276|3757723 said:
Exciting!! :dance:

I bet you can't wait :D

I'm excited for you, a CBI diamond that big is going to be phenomenal, especially in an F! The F I have bought is beautiful and I'm very happy with it - it's not icy blue but a lovely neutral colour that is really hard to describe... It's not creamy at all, but it's not blue - it's somehow 'just right' without looking like a too-good-to-be-true simulant that a D might look like to some people, or like the warmer colours that are more evident in bigger stones!

I can't wait to see your review and thoughts when it arrives :D

You must have been pretty excited when you first laid eyes on your F-VVS2 CBI diamond. I bet you were :love:

Did you play with all the other goodies that came with your beautiful diamond?

Another thing that I'm looking forwards to is using the 10x loupe, Ideal-Scope, H&A Viewer, and handheld AGS ASET scope that Wink provides for all CBI diamonds that he sells so that buyers can see the precise CBI cutting in person. Any bets on whether ASET will show much more red from a CBI diamond but more green from my pear :lol:

Garry Holloway also sells these things on his website.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results