shape
carat
color
clarity

order stone before ordering custom setting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

shinythings

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone,
I''m going to be getting a custom setting, probably from Leon Mege. I know it takes at least 3 weeks and wondered if I could get the process rolling even though we don''t have the center stone yet. It will be a round center about 1 carat, give or take.

I''m assuming it''s best to get the center stone first and then order the setting though-is this right? Or did anyone do it the other way around?

Thanks for your help! I''ll ask Leon before I do anything obviously.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I guess you need to know what you want overall. I have seen people get the stone but never figure out the setting!!!!
If you know you want LM. Email him and tell him what you are thinking. He probably wouldn''t make it until you get the stone. The stone should fit the setting.

Adylon

Shiny_Rock
If you order a custom ring for say a 6.50mm round and you buy a 6.50 +/-0.10mm round I don't think it matters regardless of the setting or setter, but of course narrowing the size down so small may limit your options when buying.

Every setting style will allow for a different amount of variation to it, for example 4 or 6 prong may give you easily +/-0.50mm to play with where as a tension setting will leave very little room for error, maybe +/-0.05mm of deviation in size. I'd ask the designer for guidance first. Generally it's always best to get the stone first and pass along all the dimensions to the designer. If it's not round or princess shape I'd definately wait, fancy shapes can vary greatly and they may even need stone in hand to design for it properly.

shinythings

Shiny_Rock
thanks for the help. it will be a round center with pear sides-i''ll check with leon but it sounds like i''ll want to pick out the stone first.

thanks!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
As a general rule, yes, you should have the stone dimensions in hand when discussing/ordering a custom setting for it from a jeweler. While small variations on a general size guideline may not matter, it''s better to know the exact dimensions of your stone.

alamb

Rough_Rock
If you look at Leon''s website, it states he will not begin production until he has the center stone.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results