shape
carat
color
clarity

Orangey Garnet

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
I like this stone! A bit different, but very pretty. From Gene, 7mm 1.52 carat. The cut is lovely.

What do you think?

tn_pl_842_detail_1.png

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I like it a lot! Reminds me of imperial topaz rough (in terms of color)! Hope it''s close to the photo IRL.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
If it''s close to that color, I like it. If it''s more browny, not really.

I''m drawn to the fanta orangey ones, personally. I want it to glow!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Looks like a hessonite from the picture.

If so, it's a type of grossular garnet - it's not as hard or sparkly as some garnets (it's a 7 on the Moh, and it's RI is 1.73 to 1.76)

I really like them and have quite a few - they have a very distinctive 'water in whiskey' or treacle look inside them.

They're not as sparkly as a spessartite (RI 1.79 to 1.81) and do tend towards the brown - you don't get them in that fanta orange look.

ETA: The colour is pretty much what I would expect from a hess - they're also known as cinnamon stones. You can get them in paler almost peachy shades and in shades that are much more red. I haven't seen any that are much more orange than that with the same depth of colour.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooo!!! I think it''s really pretty!!! I like that it''s a cinnamon kind of color...

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Just looked it up on Gene''s site - it''s actually a Malaya.

It wouldn''t be my first choice of colour if I was buying a Malaya (I like them more of a peachy pink shade) , but it is a pretty stone.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, it is sort of cinnamon! I am ok with a bit of a brown tone to it, but I think it really must be more orange than brown. Here is what Gene says about it

Gem 842 - Malaya Garnet - 1.52 ct. This Malaya from Tanzania is a more on the orange side. I would think it contains more spessartite, as Malaya is a mix of spessartite pyrope garnet. The stone measures 7 mm, and is cut in a new design I came up with for garnets. Color 4, Clarity 4-

He also says

Malaya’s come in a wide range of colors, as they are a mixture of spessartite and pyrope garnet. Most garnets are a mix, which presents a challenge with naming them, and that’s where all the different trade names have come from. There is an interesting book called “Naming Gem Garnets” by Bill Hanneman Ph.D. It’s really a must read for any collector of garnets.

Do you think I should hold off for a more peachy one?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you should buy what you like! Really, you''re the one who gets to play with it, so your opinion is the only one that really matters. You know?

RNgemlover

Shiny_Rock
That orange is just gorgeous!!!

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/5/2009 7:06:55 PM
Author: FrekeChild
I think you should buy what you like! Really, you''re the one who gets to play with it, so your opinion is the only one that really matters. You know?
I do like it...
19.gif

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Then you should ask Gene about it. I have a feeling this stone might appear darker in person...

Date: 3/5/2009 7:39:20 PM
Author: cinnamon013
Date: 3/5/2009 7:06:55 PM

I do like it...
19.gif

mochi

Ideal_Rock
The cut is beautitful. I like the color, also, but I wonder, as Yingh pointed out, if it won''t be darker IRL...

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks very pretty.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My monitor shows a lot of brown but Gene''s description says it has a lot of orange, so I''d have to go with his words since he has the stone. I like the cutting though.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
You know, it reminds me of when the leaves start to change. It looks like a great fall stone. Mmmmm.... I do love Fall...

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2009 10:15:02 PM
You know, it reminds me of when the leaves start to change. It looks like a great fall stone. Mmmmm.... I do love Fall...

I was just thinking the same thing! Very autumny and pretty!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results