carat
color
clarity

Oprah for President?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NO. Hell to the F#ck no.

I do not want another unqualified celebrity in the office of the president ever, EVER again.

My country isn’t a reality show. The people of this country aren’t a part of some game. The world economy and relations aren’t something to be handled on a celebrity learning curve. We need qualified, intelligent people handling our politics.

I’m so pissed that this is now becoming an option for over inflated celebrity minds.

While I agree wholeheartedly with House Cat, I actually suggested that Oprah run (only partially tongue-in-cheek) a few months ago because I thought that in the United States it was the only way to combat people who would only vote for a Donald Trump or other reality show host. And I thought only Oprah could win against that b*stard. If I can find my old posting, I will dredge it up. It is incredibly sad, but this is our country.

Deb
:read:

E B

Ideal_Rock
Studies have shown most who supported Trump weren’t the ones hurting the most economically. Perhaps then they been marginalized sociologically.

Basically. Much of the post-election polling showed that while the 'economic anxiety' argument seemed to be the strongest one for "change" in the country, it wasn't really the reason behind Trump's support. It was much more fit for print, though, if you catch my drift.

Reactions: t-c

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I wouldn't. 2 reasons.

She'd covered an event that happened in my hometown, making a criminal event into a race issue. She didn't educate herself then by speaking to people, though a lot weren't allowed to due to client confidentially (I couldn't) and I wouldn't hold my breath about her changing in the future. She still covered the event and manipulated it into her well televised story.

We don't need another unqualified media personality used to spouting their opinions as President. No matter which side of the political table they're at.

E B

Ideal_Rock

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found the posting in which I suggested Oprah run for president; I made it over a year ago. It was in one of Matata's "The Trumpet" threads alerting us to Trump's antics.

No, because Americans are idiots. Today I decided that if the Americans want to win back the presidency, they should run Oprah Winfrey as the democratic candidate for president in 2020. She is the only one who can beat Trump with the current crowd of simpleton American voters. She has wide recognition among television viewers and is popular. She is also trusted as a savvy businesswoman who could run the country because she made herself her own empire. Clearly she is qualified to run the US and be Commander-in-Chief.

I am actually serious that The Democrats should chase her down even though I am enormously cynical about how low we have fallen that we must, now, find television show hosts if we want to run successful presidential candidates.

AGBF :read:

Last edited:

t-c

Brilliant_Rock
Not at all. I have been racking my brain to figure out how Trump got elected. I still don't get it. How did he get to be President? I genuinely don't understand.

It's easy:
- Who was most empowered by Trump's election to president? The neo-Nazi and KKK protests in Charlottesville and increase in "brown people go home" incidents and crimes should tell you.
- How is it that having no legislative accomplishment in his first 10 months in office despite control of all 3 branches of government, Trump's support from his base never wavered (most of the decrease came from independents)? Maybe he was doing something else they liked.
- How is it that his base support hasn't wavered despite those Carrier plant jobs he claimed he saved weren't actually saved -- the plant announced 3 layoffs planned in 2017 because they were automating jobs -- and despite no increase in coal mining jobs? Maybe jobs aren't the main reason they supported Trump.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No! Another full of themselves “celebrity” is something we just don’t need.
But, I despair that there is not a person of integrity fit to hold that office, and I am not sure there ever has been. I don’t even know what to do with that.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I would keep an open mind about Oprah. You can learn how the branches of Gov't work, study the Constitution and have the best people around you. I myself don't care for political officeholders to run in families which there has been a tendency to do. The office is open to all. Who among you thinks that there are great political candidates among the congressional people. I'm with Missy in that most are terrible.

I watched a show yesterday where a gentlemen summarized who the groups are that support Trump, and why he won"t be impeached.
1.Evangelicals-- Their only concern is to rollback same sex marriage and abortion. Nothing else, perhaps Israel) matters, which is why they find no fault with Trump.

2.Big and small business-- They just got their big tax cut and rollback of regulations.

3. The group that wants to rollback people of color , mostly brown from entering the US , stealing their jobs.

These people and their representatives care not about having a lying President. They only want the power to move forward their interests. This is now about Power. They will not vote to impeach him either IMO.
Annette

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Is it because of Black Lives Matter, Equal Rights for everyone, and Equal Pay for Equal Work? If these people are marginalized by movements that try to be inclusive, how then do you accommodate the group that does not want that inclusiveness?

Partially in an attempt to understand certain reactions better (I'm a feminist), I read "Angry White Men" over the holidays. I like a research-based approach, and it was interesting. I think the author's term of "aggrieved entitlement" about sums it up. lol I also highly recommend "The Nordic Theory of Everything". I learned a lot about US and Nordic culture and policies, and the resulting impacts on the populations.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree whole heartedly that Oprah is not qualified to be potus. We really need experienced leaders. I am not a huge Oprah fan even as a celebrity. BUT I will vote for anyone (Dickinson Dastardly, Winnie the Pooh, Kanye, etc.) that runs against Trump.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like Oprah. I don't know enough about her to 'truly' be in the 'I love Oprah' camp. I'm not chomping at the bit to rally behind a presidency bid though. Not long ago I read that The Rock was considering running for president. It seems like there is a LOT of hubris going around especially in the celebrity arena. The president has a hard job that may seem glamorous at times but is no doubt a grind and incredibly stressful. I'm really tired of a single person with no government experience saying with such confidence that they can single handedly turn our country around. Things I am looking for....someone with diplomatic experience and experience in foreign affairs who is intelligent and who has a working knowledge of government and how to govern. Yes. How to govern. Not how to order people around and have things done because you said so. This next question isn't to minimize Oprah but has the bar been set so low that we are super amped at Oprah Winfrey becoming our next president of the United States??

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok...
On the “impeachment” subject, I’m not so sure Mike Pence fills that seat, either.... :confused:

mco312

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't rule out Oprah for president, but I would like to hear her platform first. She is a smart lady.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not at all. I have been racking my brain to figure out how Trump got elected. I still don't get it. How did he get to be President? I genuinely don't understand.
Easy answer, b/c americans don't wanted a 3rd term of Obama policies.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whether I would vote for her depends on her platform and who the other options were.

But -- and it pains me deeply to say this -- I can't imagine her winning because there are too many people who will not vote for a(nother) black candidate and/or a woman, and combine the two and I think it's a sure loose. A sad reality in the world I believe we live in.
Sad indeed!, when are we gonna see an Asian Prez?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree whole heartedly that Oprah is not qualified to be potus. We really need experienced leaders. I am not a huge Oprah fan even as a celebrity. BUT I will vote for anyone (Dickinson Dastardly, Winnie the Pooh, Kanye, etc.) that runs against Trump.

Kayne :lol-2::mrgreen2:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m sitting here imagining a Winnie the Pooh presidency. His cabinet would certainly be interesting. Piglet, Tigger, Kanga, Roo, Eyeore. It could be pretty awesome, maybe. Christopher Robin can be the speaker.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely.

ETA: as I didn't read all the responses :)

Why I would vote for Oprah Winfrey. She has business acumen, she has real life compassion, she is intelligent and she would SURROUND HERSELF with people of high caliber, leadership, experience, and a conscience. Now I would have to read exactly what she stood for, what the democratic platform would be and if I agreed with most of it. She is known to be honest. Since we have had Trump I sense that people are tired of the usual generic politician, this is one of the reason's why Trump was elected. Winfrey grew up poor. If the democrats find that their members want her and the pubs put up Trumpski again I would surely vote for her given what I have said.

Last edited:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many people embraced this guy, I wouldnt put too much on Winfrey, she might not have known at that point.

I sincerely doubt it. I also doubt Meryl Streep didn't know.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:doh:
Did you see the picture of Heidi Klum kissing Weinstein? I'd bet she knew about Weinstein also.

https://www.thecut.com/2017/10/heidi-klum-on-harvey-weinstein-project-runway.html

klum.jpg

Project Runway has been produced by Weinstein since 2004, Seal and Klum separated in 2012. So I find it very very hard to believe Seal didn't know anything about Weinstein's evil ways.

Yup. The question becomes: how many honestly didn't know, because I'm betting everyone knew. They are all complicit.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I was harrassed when I was in my 20s and 30s at different jobs, I didn't even tell my hubster (the ex one) about it , I thought he would get me fired. People 'hear' things but have no proof. As Winfrey has become more powerful and rich she probably hasn't much to fear from Weinstein.

I'm not saying she would be a great president but she would be a he$$ of a lot better than Trumpski.

:doh:

Yup. The question becomes: how many honestly didn't know, because I'm betting everyone knew. They are all complicit.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't want another celebrity for POTUS and I didn't want the one we have. As far as Weinstein I think the only people who didn't know were living under a rock in Topanga Canyon.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results