carat
color
clarity

Opinons on this sapphire ring?

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I finally pulled the trigger and sold my diamond bypass ring :o
I am not sure its hit me yet, I did wear it daily no matter what I did but towards the end I decided to put it in the box to get used to not having it around anymore. I waffled a few times but in the end-I want some color. Of course-after I paid the deposit on the ring, JM FINALLY posted a ring I like-in my budget ;( I've watched his site FOR YEARS and NOTHING has ever fit my size/budget (and emailing for a custom one always proved to be over the 2k budget-closer to 2500.00) and now I'm a bit sad. However-saying that I still adore the ring I have a deposit on and the long term plan is to sell my AVR and use this ring as my ER-so in reality the JM ring is more suitable for a RHR than an ER while the Carol ring is much more ER in nature.

So here is the pretty I put a deposit on-thoughts on the price (2k all in sized/shipped) and the sapphire?
http://jewelsbygrace.smugmug.com/Signed-Pieces/Signed-Pieces-Rings-and-Bands/Sapphire-Bezel-Ring-by-Cathy-A/i-r2P4chP/A

Literally the week after I put the deposit down this was posted on JM site-I seriously adore this ring and if the sapphire ring was going to be a RHR forever I think this would have fit the bill. JBG has policies in place that you only have 48 hours to change your mind to get your depost back/transfer it to a different ring from their site/inventory so it's not like JM is even an option (can't afford to loose nearly 500$ deposit) but I can't help but look....
http://jamesmeyerjewelry.com/1511-2/

So! I know this ring was on JBG site for a LONG time (over a year for sure) and there isn't much on the artist although she does have a website. I plan on making my own band at a place called the den in toronto with plans to eventually get into goldsmithing myself <3

Sapphire look good? Price/size/color right? Sometimes I think I overpaid for what it is but then again I have eyed it and watched the video quite a few times-I know I will love it in person. Should have it mid-july. :bigsmile:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It says heat enhancement assumed but says nothing about any more invasive treatments it may have had. Without a lab report, one cannot know definitively whether it has had further treatments and therefore, what the value of the stone may be. If it has had more invasive treatments, you would be buying it for the setting alone, as a replacement sapphire could easily be purchased for a few hundred at most.

ETA: That said, I've always admired the color of that sapphire - if the photos are accurate.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1466698306|4047136 said:
It says heat enhancement assumed but says nothing about any more invasive treatments it may have had. Without a lab report, one cannot know definitively whether it has had further treatments and therefore, what the value of the stone may be. If it has had more invasive treatments, you would be buying it for the setting alone, as a replacement sapphire could easily be purchased for a few hundred at most.

ETA: That said, I've always admired the color of that sapphire - if the photos are accurate.

According to the seller (it's on consignment) the artist only sources good quality stones-so I would assume heat is the only treatment but its not like I"m going to have it removed/certified lol!

I do adore the color of the sapphire-its really what sold me on the whole ring. My list was bezel set, organic/leaf style, yellow gold and at least a half carat. Oh and 2k or less. I found that the organic look tends to be more artisan which always come with a premium. I just want to be sure that I'm not over paying? It's a fair price for what it is?

Glad you like the color of the sapphire-you've got great taste so that makes me feel a bit better lol!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
vintagelover229|1466701279|4047156 said:
minousbijoux|1466698306|4047136 said:

According to the seller (it's on consignment) the artist only sources good quality stones-so I would assume heat is the only treatment but its not like I"m going to have it removed/certified lol!

I do adore the color of the sapphire-its really what sold me on the whole ring. My list was bezel set, organic/leaf style, yellow gold and at least a half carat. Oh and 2k or less. I found that the organic look tends to be more artisan which always come with a premium. I just want to be sure that I'm not over paying? It's a fair price for what it is?

Glad you like the color of the sapphire-you've got great taste so that makes me feel a bit better lol!

Unfortunately, in the world of colored stones, this doesn't really exist; our motto is trust but verify, because even well intentioned sellers cannot guarantee the treatments of the stones they have, as invasive treatment like beryllium diffusion can only be detected with specialized expensive equipment. I cannot say its a fair price, because at this point in time you would be better off making the assumption that it has been more invasively treated and therefore, not worth nearly as much...at least that's how I would see it, and probably why it hasn't sold sooner.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no! I know how long you've wanted a James Meyer piece but the Carole Ackerman setting is beautiful too. Because of your picks, it seems you are drawn to rings that reflected a hand crafted design and are willing to pay for it. I really like the side floral motif with the diamond center. Enjoy it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results