carat
color
clarity

Opinions?

Nicholas A

Rough_Rock
Trade
@SandyinAnaheim
Non immaginavo un'accoglienza cosí calorosa, grazie! Non pensavo ci fossero altri Italiani qua.
Il tuo Italiano è perfetto, se questo forum fosse in Italiano, sarebbe molto piú semplice per me!

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
That's a large stretch @EvaEvans and it's actually incorrect.
A perfect diamond in that case would be a D-FL stone but people people compromise on clarity and color to suit their budgets and preferences.

You might be underestimating how particular and obsessive some PSers are.:D
We know that there's no freaking way possible that anyone will notice such tiny imperfections or even minor pavilion variances depicted on ASETS through the naked eye. Whether the imperfections can be realistically perceived or not, some people here will chase perfection in cuts and will only pay premium for the mind cleanliness. Some simply must have the super duper excellent flawless stones! A stone with an extra facet or even indented naturals will need meaningful price break for some of the bargain hunters. PS: I have no doubt that this stone would be a knockout firecracker with the 76 lower halves with noticeably chunky arrows, but that's besides the point.

Last edited:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thought maybe this would help people reading and not posting, or future people...

Extra facets are generally created when some type of an inclusion exists that makes a stone less desirable or somehow impedes light performance. Rather than leave the imperfection, it is removed/polished away creating an additional facet.

It's possible to have some IF clarity graded stones with extra facets.

It's also possible to have extra facets that create symmetry issues. However, when the stone is sent to the lab, the extra facets would not only be listed on the inclusion plot, but the symmetry grading would also be downgraded.

Like most inclusions, the type doesn't automatically deem it good or bad but rather it depends on the location, size, etc. The buyer needs to review all elements to make a proper decision.

Below are a couple of magnified views of what one looks like.

extra-facet-magnified.png

exf1-jpg.518961

This next image is a picture of a natural inclusion. Many times these are left as-is and not polished/faceted. In an otherwise perfect stone, this natural would prevent the stone from gaining an IF clarity grade. Whereas an extra facet would potentially allow it to receive an IF grade.

exf2-jpg.518962

Some additional posts used for reference images and that may be useful:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/an-extra-facets-affect-the-clarity-grade.157656/
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/extra-facet-on-vvs2-should-i-be-concerned.227392/

Last edited:

Nicholas A

Rough_Rock
Trade
You might be underestimating how particular and obsessive some PSers are.:D
We know that there's no freaking way possible that anyone will notice such tiny imperfections or even minor pavilion variances depicted on ASETS through the naked eye. Whether the imperfections can be realistically perceived or not, people here will chase perfection in cuts and will only pay premium for the mind cleanliness. They must have the super duper excellent flawless stones! A stone with an extra facet or even indented naturals will need meaningful price break for some of the bargain hunters. PS: I have no doubt that this stone would be a knockout firecracker with the 76 lower halves with noticeably chunky arrows, but that's besides the point.

I completely understand about the mind cleanliness issue @blueMA. I’ve had it happen many times when working with clients in the past. The facet here was listed under the Clarity setting grades as the most minor item on the plot. There’s sometimes a misconception that VS1 should be completely clean on the lab reports. Also plots tend to make the inclusions seem much worse than they are in real life. I’ve had clients pass on diamonds that had a lot going on in the plots of a lab report that were a dream in real life. I think that’s really separate issue from the performance or cut quality of a diamond though. **edited by moderator, no sales talk please** Ciao

Last edited by a moderator:

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
I completely understand about the mind cleanliness issue @blueMA. I’ve had it happen many times when working with clients in the past. The facet here was listed under the Clarity setting grades as the most minor item on the plot. There’s sometimes a misconception that VS1 should be completely clean on the lab reports. Also plots tend to make the inclusions seem much worse than they are in real life. I’ve had clients pass on diamonds that had a lot going on in the plots of a lab report that were a dream in real life. I think that’s really separate issue from the performance or cut quality of a diamond though. The Optical Symmetry on this particular stone is amazing and the updated ASET Scope results here are beautiful.

Ciao

Yes, I totally understand. Once I was considering a VVS1 diamond with a tiny "chip" that probably would've been an IF otherwise, and we know some of these tiny accidental chip end up as an extra facet and I would've preferred that. However, I just couldn't bear to purchase the diamond, especially because I was able to find comparable stones at around the same price. Some of the silly mind blocks can be impediments to purchasing the best performers...

worktoohard

Rough_Rock
Well geesh. I should’ve ordered that vc last night before the price adjustment... I love the Bands they produce. Absolutely amazing work. Looks like I missed out on that one which is just my luck!

Wf is supposed to be sending a video today. We shall see when it shows up!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm really sorry about that @worktoohard **edited, please no sales**. Again, if you use a website aggregator that takes snapshots of pages at different periods in time, you can see that this diamond was priced at $14,414.85 before the mistake.

@Nicholas A @Victor Canera you wouldn’t honor yesterday’s price for the stone or compensate in a different way for the error if OP wants to purchase from you? I would hope that you would.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm really sorry @worktoohard. I feel horrible and partially responsible as the technical jargon received attention and consequently they noticed the price and adjusted. My deepest apologies as I had no idea this would happen.

@Nicholas A I understand there was a pricing error on VC's part, but you may have never found it had it not been for his post. I'm not trying to tell you how to run your business, but if I were in this position I'd try to honor that price. It just seems like the right thing to do. Hopefully you and/or @Victor Canera doesn't take this offensively.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Nicholas A @Victor Canera you wouldn’t honor yesterday’s price for the stone or compensate in a different way for the error if OP wants to purchase from you? I would hope that you would.

Wow, we are thinking alike today. Looks like we posted on top of each other.

Nicholas A

Rough_Rock
Trade

We're pretty red faced about this at the shop actually **sigh** :oops:. We noticed the mistake as soon as I came online yesterday. We were debating the best course of action that would be fair. We're absolutely open to some kind of agreement if the OP would like.

Thank you so much for your understanding.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We're pretty red faced about this at the shop actually **sigh** :oops:. We noticed the mistake as soon as I came online yesterday. We were debating the best course of action that would be fair. We're absolutely open to some kind of agreement if the OP would like to.

Thank you so much for your understanding.

Thank you @Nicholas A and @Victor Canera. Earlier on I know the OP was also asking about getting a live video of the stone in question in normal lighting so he could help make his mind up. Can you also accommodate that?

Tagging you @worktoohard to make sure you see this.

Nicholas A

Rough_Rock
Trade
Btw. I realized that the updated ASET and IS scope images might not be visible to some. We have an image caching feature on our website so in order to see the new updated ASET and IS images of this diamond you would need to do a hard refresh with your browser on the diamond's page. This is usually done by holding down SHIFT or ALT and the Refresh button on Windows or Command and Refresh on Mac.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Btw. I realized that the updated ASET and IS scope images might not be visible to some. We have an image caching feature on our website so in order to see the new updated ASET and IS images of this diamond you would need to do a hard refresh with your browser on the diamond's page. This is usually done by holding down SHIFT or ALT and the Refresh button on Windows or Command and Refresh on Mac.

I saw it earlier but failed to tell you THANK YOU for uploading the new images! I greatly appreciate it, as I'm sure the OP does as well.

Also, as a Win/Mac/Linux user, it's refreshing to see someone give instructions for more than a single platform (usually Windows). :cool2:

Nicholas A

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thank you @Nicholas A and @Victor Canera. Earlier on I know the OP was also asking about getting a live video of the stone in question in normal lighting so he could help make his mind up. Can you also accommodate that?

Tagging you @worktoohard to make sure you see this.

Yes, I'm happy to do this. @worktoohard please shoot me an email or call if you definitely want a video.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Nicholas A I don’t believe vendors are allowed to self-promote their items on PS. I could be mistaken.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Nicholas A I don’t believe vendors are allowed to self-promote their items on PS. I could be mistaken.

@Stephan was correct. The OP wanted to see live videos of a few WF stones and also this VC stone so he could make a decision. Since VC had been so responsive in this thread I asked on behalf of the OP trying to help him.

I believe OP reached out to WF directly for videos of the 1.48 F VS2 and the 1.565 H VS2 stones. Hopefully he will post them up once they are done.

I'm pretty sweet on the 1.48 stone personally so I'm very curious to see how this VC stone stacks against it. The VC stone offers a tremendous monetary value and access to those gorgeous hand forged settings that VC is well known for making.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
[QUOTE="Nicholas A, post: 4476327, member **edited by moderator**: .[/QUOTE]

That's a gorgeous stone. However, as to the OP's question of whether there's something better than the original 1.48 F stone, I'd recommend the 1.48 F if the budget isn't tight seeking extra savings, since I'm very color sensitive and many others can detect the tint at H and below.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Since VC had been so responsive in this thread I asked on behalf of the OP trying to help him.
I'm not entirely so certain - I've asked @Rhino once to post a GOG video I couldn't find, but he said he couldn't post the link himself due to the forum rules. I'm sure the admin will let this pass, but I'd check to be sure if I were in trade.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The video was a request, I think it is OK.

I did note that I may be mistaken. But at the same time, the OP was offered the opportunity to contact VC for a video; I assume that means directly vs post it on PS, which feels like promotion to me. I don’t recall WF, HPD, etc posting videos on PS that a customer was considering. Maybe for educational purposes ... but when it’s being considered for purchase?

I have no ill will against VC at all. But OP is considering a diamond/s from competitors/PS vendors as well, so it just doesn’t feel ‘fair’ or in the spirit of PS (to me at least). But I’m just a consumer ... not admin ... so whatevs. :wavey:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a gorgeous stone. However, as to the OP's question of whether there's something better than the original 1.48 F stone, I'd recommend the 1.48 F if the budget isn't tight seeking extra savings, since I'm very color sensitive and many others can detect the tint at H and below.

Agree. You also get a small 0.12mm size bump but that isn't really detectable to the human eye. Going from H to F is a noticeable bump in color. For me clarity is a wash despite because the VS2 is so clean.

For cut I think all stones being considered are great; however, I believe the fire and bold flashes the OP noted he liked in the 1.48 will be hard to beat.

Earlier I indicated I think the WF 1.565 H VS2 and the VC 1.514 H VS2 would have similar performance as their proportions were so similar. That in mind, the 1.48 seems more lively to my eyes than the 1.565 so consequently I think it will be more lively than the 1.514 as well.

Of course, it doesn't mean any of them are bad but rather we are nitpicking the cream of the crop.

What throws the curve is the dollar savings of the VC; otherwise it's a no brainer to me.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Stephan was correct. The OP wanted to see live videos of a few WF stones and also this VC stone so he could make a decision. Since VC had been so responsive in this thread I asked on behalf of the OP trying to help him.

I understand, and I know without a doubt your intentions are in the right place. But trades persons cannot self-promote. And IMHO, a vendor posting a video of a diamond under consideration by a consumer in that consumer’s thread kinda defines ‘self-promotion’ to me ... regardless of who asks for it. It just doesn’t feel fair to the other vendors who also post here frequently and help consumers with diamond education but are restricted from doing the same.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
I love the Bands they produce.
BTW, VC does work with externally sourced stones. I do love the impeccable workmanship of their settings.

worktoohard

Rough_Rock
Okay well hopefully I can post a video without getting in trouble?! WF did send the video with a smaller f stone as well. I still wish I could’ve got a real time video over setting it up with the lights hitting it etc. “well I believe they are right?!”

Hoping this link works! Just so everyone could see the video I was sent...

EvaEvans

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@Nicholas A
Increasing the price is a smart way to escape the devaluation of your diamond...:clap:

@sledge
Very nice comment about the extra facets and the naturals. I am one of that freaks that adore naturals on the girdle:dance:

@worktoohard
WF 1.48 F VS2 continue to be my personal winner...:love:

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
If VC is going to honor the lower price on their stone, I’d definitely go with that one and get one of their beautiful hand forged settings. I would love to have a VC setting one day.

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Folks, vendors cannot promote on the board which includes posting videos or photos of items under consideration.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Okay well hopefully I can post a video without getting in trouble?! WF did send the video with a smaller f stone as well. I still wish I could’ve got a real time video over setting it up with the lights hitting it etc. “well I believe they are right?!”

Hoping this link works! Just so everyone could see the video I was sent...

Of the two, the size trumps! 1.48

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
@SandyinAnaheim
Non immaginavo un'accoglienza cosí calorosa, grazie! Non pensavo ci fossero altri Italiani qua.
Il tuo Italiano è perfetto, se questo forum fosse in Italiano, sarebbe molto piú semplice per me!

Prego! Sono cubana e italiana e ho imparato a parlare spagnolo e italiano a casa. Si prega di rimanere e condividere le tue conoscenze con noi, non solo sul tema di oggi, e ignorare gli sciocchi. :oops2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results