shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions?

worktoohard

Rough_Rock
Hello all I would appreciate some opinions on this stone. It’s a WF ACA. I was looking at HPD as well but nothing in this particular range. It was reserved and Brittany contacted me saying it was open. So I have put a hold on this to see what you guys think.

1.48 F VS2. I was looking for a 1.5 plus g in color si1 eye clean clarity. But I feel this may be a better option? Am I wrong or others possibly better than this?
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4066130.htm

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
This is a very nice diamond. The cut is great, and the clarity is desirable, no inclusion in the table. The feather should not be a big concern, however it is on the pavilion and on the crown, but I'm sure WF will put a prong near it to protect it from shocks. And I prefer to pay for a 1.48 ct than for a 1.52 ct.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are a few "eye-clean" G/Si1s over the 1.5 mark but they all seem to have inclusions on the table. Most people say for an engagement ring that
they dont want inclusions on the table. I think the 1.48 you've picked is a nice option. A jump up in color and pretty darn clean looking.

worktoohard

Rough_Rock
Would everyone prefer the smaller f that Simone mentioned due to the feather? I’m sorry I don’t understand everything about the inclusions. I would much rather be safe. I was also looking at the f stone HPD had in a 1.56 but it was an si1 as well.

EvaEvans

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@worktoohard
I prefer your diamond and I like it! It's VS2 clarity and the feather is the third, the smallest inclusion, definitely nothing to worry about!

worktoohard

Rough_Rock
Thank you. For some reason it seems to put off more rainbow colored “bright flashes” where a couple of other aca were still putting off color but it seems to be more disco ball at the stone. Where this one seemed to jump off the stone? Not sure if I’m explaining it correctly or not. Maybe someone will understand and point me in the right direction. It’s the jumping off the stone colored lights I am attracted to over the disco ball style on the actual stone.

worktoohard

Rough_Rock
@sledge or @rockysalamander could I get your inputs if you get a minute. Only due to seeing you guys comment quite frequently on everyone’s post helping them out. I believe I seen sledge talking about all the angles in a post that was way above my head. Any input towards the stone? Or would you recommend a different stone in the same range? Around the 1.5 f/gvs2/si1. I’m hoping this won’t look to small on my girlfriends hand. She wears a 6.25 but her fingers look longer/slender Especially since I’m going to do a solitaire so I cannot add any size with a halo.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is your actual budget for the diamond? Around $16k?
https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/2hprtj-1.558-g-vs2-ideal-hearts-arrows-round

WF has both diamonds in question in their hands. I would ask them to pull them, send you pictures and talk you through the feather question. One of the many great perks of working with a vendor in possession of the actual stones.

I also like the HPD stone and would simply ask them if the issues raised by @Stephan are concerning or not. On a VS2, I would not expect the graining to be an issue for the diamond IRL (you can see it on the ASET in the NE corner). Again, excellent customer service and they will be honest.

upload_2019-1-2_15-25-5.png

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
What is your actual budget for the diamond? Around $16k?
https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/2hprtj-1.558-g-vs2-ideal-hearts-arrows-round

WF has both diamonds in question in their hands. I would ask them to pull them, send you pictures and talk you through the feather question. One of the many great perks of working with a vendor in possession of the actual stones.

I also like the HPD stone and would simply ask them if the issues raised by @Stephan are concerning or not. On a VS2, I would not expect the graining to be an issue for the diamond IRL (you can see it on the ASET in the NE corner). Again, excellent customer service and they will be honest.

upload_2019-1-2_15-25-5.png
The VC diamond has an inclusion in the table.
I think both WF diamonds are better options.
As for surface graining in a VS2, I could see it with the naked eye under spotlighting in a super ideal cut diamond, but it was a 3ct.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As for surface graining in a VS2, I could see it with the naked eye under spotlighting in a super ideal cut diamond, but it was a 3ct.

Fair enough. But, I would not exclude the HPD stone it if meets the brief, given that we can ask our ever helpful folks at HPD for thoughts on it. It is more expensive, which is why I asked for the actual budget here.

worktoohard

Rough_Rock
90DC789A-EB31-415A-8E12-C24055B03E28.png My budget was 14 for the diamond. I can be flexible 1-2k. I guess a little more if necessary but would rather stay strict around 15-16ish. I’ve got a local store that’s sent me specs on a diamond. I do not know if it will be nice or not in person. And it’s a little smaller then what I wanted.

Also I know she wants a round but not the euro cut.

Here are the specs of the diamond a local place called in. This was around 11 I believe.

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
The stone of your local store could be very nice or very bad.
Without knowing the comments on the report, inclusions, fluo, ASET picture, etc. it's a little bit like gambling.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not a fan of that low crown angle, though it does score a 1.0 on the HCA. Still, won't compare to the WF options. It will be a very flat looking stone.

Color seems to be driving your budget. If you will consider G or H, here are some options.

This gets you above your size goal, but into your upper budget. Great numbers and very clean. 1.578 H VS1.
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4032895.htm

This just pretty. A few inclusions visible on high magnification, but I like the angles. Ask if eye clean at 6". 1.565 H VS2
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3925305.htm

Nice stone. I'd talk with WF about the clouds and if they impact light return or transparency. 1.53 G VS2.
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3784275.htm

worktoohard

Rough_Rock
@rockysalamander would you choose one of those over the 1.48 f from there? I didn’t know if you can tell the difference in size much versus the difference in color? It seems that HPD are a little more then the aca options. Not trying to start a war or anything but the aca would still look compatible to theirs? I just see so many people that say you get what you pay for.

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
The 1.48 is just perfect. It's really a good deal because you don't pay the 1.5 premium and it's a very clean VS2.

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Not a fan of that low crown angle, though it does score a 1.0 on the HCA. Still, won't compare to the WF options. It will be a very flat looking stone.
The slightly shallower crown won't be noticed as the table is small, and these angles work well together. But we need more information.
This gets you above your size goal, but into your upper budget. Great numbers and very clean. 1.578 H VS1.
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4032895.htm
It's a little bit bigger, but 2 colors lower and the VS1 inclusions are in the table (I prefer the 1.48 VS2 inclusions). If this stone is an option, I would ask where the surface graining is located and reject it if it was on the table.
This just pretty. A few inclusions visible on high magnification, but I like the angles. Ask if eye clean at 6". 1.565 H VS2
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3925305.htm
Again, you win 0.08 ct but you loose 2 colors.
Nice stone. I'd talk with WF about the clouds and if they impact light return or transparency. 1.53 G VS2.
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3784275.htm
I wouldn't buy this one because of the leakage inside the table.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both HPD and WF are trusted vendors for super-ideals. You are already in a rarefied space considering these vendors. Its like saying should I get an Aston Maritn or Ferrari? In several head-to-head viewing by members, the HPD-CPi seem to send out a bit more fire than WF.

I, personally, would not trade size for color (1.48 F VS2 vs. the ones I posted). I can see all the colors (and competently grade to GIA standards). But, they simply don't bother me. My daily diamonds are G and H (low H side stones, and nobody ever notices) an L/M earrings (they are all old cuts, so color return is a bit different). H with a super ideal is very white for most viewers. I would even drop to an I, personally. But, I personally do not equate body color with "value". I happen to prefer brown body tint over yellow.

If your girl ends up being color sensitive and dislikes whatever you choose, trading in with both vendors is very easy.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Again, you win 0.08 ct but you loose 2 colors.
I love to read your analysis, but the word "loose" implies a value here. I would not say it is a loss to meet the OP's brief of hitting 1.5 carats. The question to my way of analyzing is that all buying requires some trading of the 4Cs. The OP needs to determine which are more or less valuable to keep or trade.

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
You make a point. I tend to think that 2 colors higher will be more noticeable than the weight difference, but indeed it could be that the 1.5 ct mark is more important to OP. I just wanted OP to be aware that there is a price jump once you go over 1.5 ct and that the size difference would be minimal.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You make a point. I tend to think that 2 colors higher will be more noticeable than the weight difference, but indeed it could be that the 1.5 ct mark is more important to OP. I just wanted OP to be aware that there is a price jump once you go over 1.5 ct and that the size difference would be minimal.
Agreed! Well stated.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In order, the stones I posted are 7.46, 7.37, 7.33 mm. The 1.48 is 7.32 mm. The fist two will be visibly larger, but you trade color.

worktoohard

Rough_Rock
It’s not a must to be at the 1.5 range. I guess I understood from someone that probably doesn’t know as much as most of you that it is hard to find one right under the .5 range for the value of the stone. And most above it are a poor cut because they did it on purpose to stay above the 1.5 range.

I don’t think she is super color sensitive since she still couldn’t see any color in a g upside down, so maybe your onto something with forgetting about down in color up in size.

Just out of curiousity I seen some posts where your finding excellent non branded diamonds but it takes some time. My questions to this are one do you think the value is worth it if you can be patient enough?
2. Is it even possible to find one that is pretty close on the open market or will they be far from the specs of an ACA etc? When it comes to the optical performance?

worktoohard

Rough_Rock
I am trying to get a video of the 1.48 F as well as the 1.578 H ACA. Also asked about the feathering. Hopefully I can get back to you all soon with their answers. You make this so much easier as to I would have bought a cavalier compared to the Aston martins as rocky put it!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That tiny white crystal inclusion will not be visible. It is a larger stone and Victor will be able to create a stunning solitaire, so I wouldn’t exclude is so quickly.
Nonetheless, I agree regarding surface graining; it is also something I prefer to avoid in diamonds, but I would trust CBIs feedback regarding the stone.

@worktoohard you are picking between some great vendors, so regardless of what you select, you will be making a great choice.

With VC, you sill get a nice discount on the setting and he will create a gorgeous setting. I actually noticed this stone which is priced very competitively and although an H, I would consider it: https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/ags104097665004-1.514-h-vs1-ideal-hearts-arrows-round

WF probably have the largest inventory of in house stones, so if you think that the diamond might be upgraded in the future, then that might be the vendor for you. From their premium select stones, I actually like this one: https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3784275.htm
I know that some will say that it’s not up to par, but I bet that it will be a gorgeous diamond and WF can compare the stone next to an ACA and send you a video.

CBI cuts their stones in house and have a generous lifetime buyback program, which I think is very appealing.

As I said before, can’t go wrong with any of your options.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results