shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@sledge or @rockysalamander could I get your inputs if you get a minute. Only due to seeing you guys comment quite frequently on everyone’s post helping them out. I believe I seen sledge talking about all the angles in a post that was way above my head. Any input towards the stone? Or would you recommend a different stone in the same range? Around the 1.5 f/gvs2/si1. I’m hoping this won’t look to small on my girlfriends hand. She wears a 6.25 but her fingers look longer/slender Especially since I’m going to do a solitaire so I cannot add any size with a halo.

Better late than never, eh?

Anyhow, I think I recommended this 1.48 F VS2 in another thread. I love it from the fact it's super clean, great color and gives you great size while avoiding the price increase that comes when you hit the official 1.5+ carat magic weight.

IMO, an all around performer that is beautiful. The big bold flashes you are talking about is because of that small 55 table and gorgeous 34.6 crown & 40.8 pavilion combo. LGF's are at 77 which is a good balance between 75 and 80. I prefer smaller values as they will yield fatter arrows and larger bolder flashes of light return. Larger LGF's provide a more splintery return.

I am not sure what other stones you compared this against but I can see why it performed so well. It is a freakin' firecracker!

Gorgeous proportions and overall beautiful stone, however, I am not a fan of the girdle reaching feather inclusion.

I prefer this one: https://www.whiteflash.com/pdf/104103809031.pdf

Here is a comparison link with the 1.48 F VS2 and this 1.431 F VS2. As you can see the values are nearly identical. I'm not sure you would ever be able to visibly discern differences in the minute table sizes. The stars and pavilion angles are also very similar but to me it feels like the 1.48 has just a little more punch. But both are rather fantastic to be honest.

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/compare.aspx?idnos=4066130,4070346

In an effort to analyze them closer I did side by side videos and tried to screen capture them. I had a tough time overall as you can see below, but again, the 1.48 just "felt" better to me.

Although 0.10mm difference may not even be discernible, I do like the size bump of the 1.48 as well. And while I'm not crazy about the feather location I'm not sure it's a real issue. WF is very particular with their ACA line and what can or can't make the grade. They have reputation and a brand to protect so I don't think you will have an issue.

Still as @rockysalamander suggested, I'd ask WF to pull both stones and evaluate them side by side and ask for additional photos & videos under various light conditions. Ask about the feather on the 1.48 and if there is any risk and if risk is present how they can mitigate/zero it.

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

Capture4.PNG

Out of the box suggestion. You 100% need to know if your girl likes antique cuts, but it is rare to find this high color and clarity in a nice antique stone. Spread is on par with the selections posted here. Price is nice.

https://www.jewelsbygrace.com/1-61ct-old-european-cut-diamond-gia-g-vs2

drool.gif
drool.gif
drool.gif

Nice find!

I've learned I am a sucker for OEC's. My future sister-in-law has one that she believes is an F VS2 (she inherited from her grandmother & going off memory from what the cert says) and it's a complete sparkle bomb. Both her and her husband are deaf, so when my fiancee and her start doing sign language I normally have drool rolling out of my mouth and not sure rather to watch my fiancee's BGD stone or her OEC. Her stone is larger and is cut different so it sparkles a little different. They mess with me all the time and will do weird hand signs when they catch me staring at the bling, lol.

But if your girl doesn't like OEC's then don't waste your time. At the end of the day, this is HER ring and you want to get something that SHE loves.

90DC789A-EB31-415A-8E12-C24055B03E28.png My budget was 14 for the diamond. I can be flexible 1-2k. I guess a little more if necessary but would rather stay strict around 15-16ish. I’ve got a local store that’s sent me specs on a diamond. I do not know if it will be nice or not in person. And it’s a little smaller then what I wanted.

Also I know she wants a round but not the euro cut.

Here are the specs of the diamond a local place called in. This was around 11 I believe.

It's hard to say. I know the 33.5/41 angle combo isn't something that we typically recommend but there are a few that really love this combo. One a good note it's very complimentary as the shallow 33.5 crown is offset by a steep pavilion. Also because of the smaller 55% table, you are still getting 15% crown height. The problem I see is that 41 (43.5% depth) is about the max you want to go on the pavilion.

If you aren't aware, there are 8 pavilion mains. When GIA measures them at the lab they average those values and then round them to the nearest 0.2 degrees. This means there could be values < or > 41 degrees. The problem being > 41 degrees and you start risking light leakage which is obviously bad.

To know for sure you need an idealscope and/or ASET scope to further analyze the light performance of the stone. Most local jewelers don't know what these are and consequently don't have them. So you either have to risk buying the stone without the advanced imaging or buy your own scopes and evaluate them that way. Alternatively, they may have a SARIN machine and could scan the diamond for the exact values of each individual facet that we could then analyze.

For me, I'm not sure it's worth the risk. But perhaps your internal risk tolerance is different than mine. I'd rather spend $15k and get a guaranteed performer and excellent trade-in program with top notch customer service than $11k with a 50/50 shot of being great.

EvaEvans

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Your original choice 1.48 F VS2 is the best option so far...

worktoohard

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the breakdown and I appreciate you spending a few minutes for a stranger making those clips. There is just something about that 1.48 that throws off light beams! I’m curious about the HPD now that fire was mentioned but didn’t see videos of them like on the aca?

This may be a stupid question but when it comes to the actual bands is there someone preferred over the others. Or can all the vendors create an awesome band? I’m just sure she will want to make something custom. Outside of what I propose to her with. So for that reason I didn’t know if a particular vendor stuck out or if it’s 6 in one hand half dozen in the other?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the breakdown and I appreciate you spending a few minutes for a stranger making those clips. There is just something about that 1.48 that throws off light beams! I’m curious about the HPD now that fire was mentioned but didn’t see videos of them like on the aca?

This may be a stupid question but when it comes to the actual bands is there someone preferred over the others. Or can all the vendors create an awesome band? I’m just sure she will want to make something custom. Outside of what I propose to her with. So for that reason I didn’t know if a particular vendor stuck out or if it’s 6 in one hand half dozen in the other?

No problem, glad I could help.

To help understand HP Diamonds (HPD) a little better, I'm going to give you the long story. If you aren't aware HPD is a "dealer" for Crafted by Infinity (CBI). CBI actually sources the material rough and cuts the stones. They then make their stones available to consumers via "dealers" like HPD throughout the world. HPD is very popular here because many of their other dealers tend to focus on traditional storefront sales, whereas HPD focuses more on internet sales. Plus HPD's owner @Wink is a pretty fantastic guy and actively participates in these forums. The reputation of CBI stones and HPD's customer service is very solid.

I said all this to say that CBI takes the ASET, idealscope and H&A images and provides them to HPD to put on their website. Currently CBI and HPD are working together to get a video of each of their diamonds. My last understanding is they are slowly rolling this out on some diamonds, but not all diamonds yet.

If you need a specific diamond I'd encourage you to reach out to @Wink and request one. Most the time he can accommodate your request. It may be quicker to use his website and call or email him.

Keep in mind, since WF and HPD/CBI are different companies, the video format (lighting, background, etc) will be different so it's hard to compare videos between them.

HPD and WF can both make quality custom settings. Also, both companies work with designers as well. I believe WF may have more designer choices; however, it was my understanding HPD was in the process of updating their site to include new designers, etc. Generally speaking it's easier to buy both your stone & setting from the same company and that is what I always recommend.

That said, when I bought my fiancee's ring I purchased the stone from Brian Gavin Diamonds (BGD) and worked with David Klass (DK) in Los Angeles to create a custom setting. BGD held the stone in Houston until the setting was nearly completed and then shipped to DK for final mounting, etc and then DK shipped the finished product to me.

In their effort to help support a custom design, BGD offered to give me a temporary solitaire setting so I could propose and then bring my fiancee into the design process. Had I taken them up on the offer it would have included me paying for the temp setting upfront and then after I returned it to them they would fully refund the money I paid for it. Instead I elected to just keep my fiancee out of the design process and skip a temp setting altogether so I never took them up on their generosity.

Still I thought it was a kind gesture and if you are for sure going to do a custom setting I'd talk with WF or HPD about this as I think they'd offer something similar. Really both companies are customer focused and not only have great products but are just good people that you want to do business with if possible.

Obviously if you want to go the custom route I'd also suggest DK as they were great. I didn't find the process too bad, but many people dread custom like the plague. Depending on your personality type and attention to details this may or may not be a good idea for you and/or the future fiancee to undertake.

worktoohard

Rough_Rock
@sledge thanks for the very informative lesson for someone that knows hardly anything! One more quick question if possible. People act like the carats right under the prices are rare. In your opinion how often do you see 1.46-1.49 in the WF and HPD lineup?

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since you threw down a gauntlet (ok...only kinda, but I like the hunt)... Ok, so these are not Ferraris, but certainly a Mercedes.

It does have a dark inclusion on the table, but unless you are eagles, that won't be visible. It has clouds noted, which should not be an issue, but it is worth asking about. JA will usually provide an Idealscope image for rounds. If you like it, put it on hold and ask JA for a IS image. I'd want you to see this unmounted before buying from them.
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...h-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-6349447

Solid option at a good price. This is a 1.6 H VS1. Nothing to worry about (edited to add "on clarity"). Good (not perfect) IS and lovely ASET. So, this less expensive option compared to WF. This is good enough, to me, to mount without a pre-viewing.
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...color-vs1-clarity-true-hearts-cut-sku-5421235

The major drawback, to me, of JA is that any upgrade will require you spend double. That may or may not be an issue. With WF, you can increase your size over time. HPD adds a lifetime buyback at 80%of cost. I would also NOT use JA for a custom setting.

Last edited:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@sledge thanks for the very informative lesson for someone that knows hardly anything! One more quick question if possible. People act like the carats right under the prices are rare. In your opinion how often do you see 1.46-1.49 in the WF and HPD lineup?
I really don't pay attention. I just look for good options that meet a brief. We've seen many on both sites over time. Stocks are still a bit low right now after the holidays, but valentines day is coming.

worktoohard

Rough_Rock
@rockysalamander as far as stocking back up go do they release a date when diamonds will be coming in publicly or do we just inquire on when a stock will happen? I was curious to that as well. If since turkey day, Xmas, and New Years just happened that the supply is not as broad as usual.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@rockysalamander as far as stocking back up go do they release a date when diamonds will be coming in publicly or do we just inquire on when a stock will happen? I was curious to that as well. If since turkey day, Xmas, and New Years just happened that the supply is not as broad as usual.

I don't think there is a specific stocking day, but stocks should rise. Those options may or may not meet your brief. WF may know what is coming down the pipeline.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Look on Whiteflash for their Premium or Expert select stones. They are in-house, near ACA, and qualify for their upgrade policy. Plus, usually a slight bit less expensive.

@worktoohard You’ve gotten a lot of great advice in this thread. I would definitely second Ringo’s above suggestion if you want to open up more options and stretch your budget a bit further with a great vendor while still getting a diamond that will likely outperform the majority you come across in life. My avatar diamond is a WF Expert Selection, and it’s just amazeballs in person. Others with ‘eagle eyes’ may be able to discern the difference between an ACA and my ES with their naked eyes, but I know I wouldn’t/couldn’t ... but I did notice the difference in my wallet. :dance:

Regardless of what diamond you choose, keep one thing in mind: for a diamond to sparkle, it needs to be kept clean. And that doesn’t require regular trips to a jeweler. You/your intended can keep it sparkling beautifully at home with a baby/soft toothbrush, a couple drops of plain dawn dish detergent, and some warm water. :wavey:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You ever built wood shelves in your garage? If so, you'd know that plywood is sold in standard 4'x8' sheets. You can get different sizes but it costs more. So maybe making 2'x4' shelves is a good idea as you can cut the sheet in half both directions and essentially have zero waste. On the flip side, if your space required an abnormal dimension, say 30" x 50" then you will need considerably more plywood because now you can't get two shelves out of one piece of plywood, but rather just one (assuming you don't want several joints, which takes bracing underneath and still drives up your lumber costs).

Diamonds kind of work the same way. When mined from the earth, they come out in a "rough" form. Then cutters analyze the available rough material and place a bid to buy it based on what color, clarity, size and quantity of finished diamonds they can create from the rough material. Now imagine if you have multiple cutters bidding on the same piece of rough, and you can imagine how prices might be driven up for certain rough.

Cutter A is only interested in maximizing profit. They will take an approach similar to the 2'x4' shelves and maximize the most diamonds with the most carat weight so there is as close to zero scrap as possible. This makes sense. It keeps his cost low and profit margins higher. The downside is beauty of the stone is sacrificed to maximize weight/profit.

Cutter B uses a different approach. He knows to get the maximum beauty from a stone he has to cut the rough a certain way to gain the most beauty and he may even do a specialty cut to avoid some major inclusion; therefore, increasing his waste factor. For all practical purposes, this cutter is the guy making the 30" x 50" shelves. Consequently, he will get less finished carat weight from the same amount of rough.

Imagine this:
  • 100,000 carat weight volume per year for both cutters
  • $4,500 average price per carat weight
  • 100,000ct x $4,500/ct = $450,000,000 annual sales
  • Cutter A waste = 1% x 100,000 = 1,000cts x $4,500 = $4,500,000
  • Cutter B waste = 2% x 100,000 = 1,000cts x $4,500 = $9,000,000
Now we can begin to see why certain cutters want to maximize the weight of the rough. Not to mention, when hitting magic weights like 1.50 instead of 1.48, you can get a higher price per carat.

When you factor in the higher waste, lost premium weight premiums, additional labor/cost for precision cutting, etc. you can see how super ideal vendors (Cutter B in this example) is at a disadvantage when bidding on rough. Cutter A may offer $3,000 per carat and maximize the rough for profit. Cutter B may only offer $2,800 per carat knowing he has higher waste, etc and trying to stay competitive. Guess who's bid the guy selling the rough wants to take? And the wheel goes round & round. Consequently getting rough at the right price for a 1.48 stone isn't common place.

We do still see the stones like the 1.48 that barely miss that magic carat weight. I don't think they are like finding a blue zebra but they are still rare for all the reasons I already mentioned above. Now granted, I think the closer you get to the magic carat weight the less savings you gain.

Take for instance the 1.431 and 1.48 stones we've already been discussing and also a new 1.508 F VS2 from WF:
See what is happening here? As you get closer to 1.50 carats the price per carat is pushing up; however, it's still considerably less than the 1.508 stone. Dimensions of the 1.508 stone are 7.35 x 7.42, whereas the 1.48 is 7.32 x 7.35. You can't detect that size difference with the naked eye, but it's an extra $1,100 per carat for being able to say 1.508 instead of 1.48.

Consequently, these stones can offer a good bang for the buck for the consumer. And because of all the issues with the rough I mentioned earlier, the 1.48's aren't just falling out of the sky either.

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
...In your opinion how often do you see 1.46-1.49 in the WF and HPD lineup?
Keep in mind that HPD can tell you what is in production or at the lab being graded, meaning, there are stones not yet visible on the site that you can put a hold on if there is something you are interested in. It only takes a phone call.

worktoohard

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your help. As far as the 1.48 from wf I asked for a video comparing it to a 1.56 g. I was sent a link to side by side the videos as sledge had done for me.... I was really hoping for a live view of them outside of that lighting black back drop scenario. Hrmmmm.. was told the feather is absolutely nothing to worry about.

The feather is of absolutely no concern. It is not visible to the naked eye, and has no impact on performance or durability.

Please keep in mind that inclusions are listed in the order they impacted the clarity grade.
So under 10x magnification, the crystal was most noticeable, then the cloud, and then the feather.

That was what was sent to me. Should I go ahead with the purchase even though I wasn’t able to get a video live?

EvaEvans

Shiny_Rock
Premium
This particular feather inclusion (3rd in order of size and impact) at VS2 clarity grade is absolutely acceptable and no problematic for me.
Between the 1.48 and the 1.56 my choice will be the 1.48. It has higher color, better cut and even better inclusion plot.

beardog

Rough_Rock
That 1.48 was put on hold about a week ago while another poster was dragging their feet after having it recommended. Hate to see the same happen again. Worst case scenario you want bigger.. then use the upgrade

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for your help. As far as the 1.48 from wf I asked for a video comparing it to a 1.56 g. I was sent a link to side by side the videos as sledge had done for me.... I was really hoping for a live view of them outside of that lighting black back drop scenario. Hrmmmm.. was told the feather is absolutely nothing to worry about.

The feather is of absolutely no concern. It is not visible to the naked eye, and has no impact on performance or durability.

Please keep in mind that inclusions are listed in the order they impacted the clarity grade.
So under 10x magnification, the crystal was most noticeable, then the cloud, and then the feather.

That was what was sent to me. Should I go ahead with the purchase even though I wasn’t able to get a video live?

I'd just call your WF rep back and advise them you were wanting to get a video of the various stones in natural lighting and not just a side by side comparison of their standard videos. As long as the requests and time frames are reasonable, they will try to accommodate.

That said, IMO, there is no reason to not buy that 1.48 F VS2. It's a freakin' gorgeous stone. Make sure you don't lose your hold on it because I'm afraid someone may snatch it up from you.

Also, what 1.56 G are you looking at? I scanned WF's site but couldn't find one.

Capture.PNG

Did you mean the 1.59 G SI1? If so, I have stacked that into the comparison review for you to analyze.

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/compare.aspx?idnos=4066130,4070346,4054985

I actually really like the 1.59. It has a steeper 34.8 crown paired with that very complimentary shallower 40.6 pavilion. And some sexy fat arrows (76 LGF) with a still smaller 56.2 table that altogether produces some big bold flashes of fire.

The downsides are it's a G SI1 vs F VS2. Looking at the clarity plot, the inclusions are on the table but seem fairly small and towards the outer edges. Looking at the video I still think the stone will be eye clean when in a normal (non-magnified) viewing condition but like many others here also prefer that no inclusions are on the table (if possible).

The advantages are it's about $1k cheaper than the 1.48 F VS2 and slightly larger (about 0.12mm).

I personally still prefer the 1.48 stone but can see how someone might also like the 1.59.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@sledge
It is 1.56 H VS2
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3925305.htm

I personally wouldn't go under VS2 clarity. I would go with H color. But this particular diamond is not so good.

Gotcha. The OP said 1.56 G, not 1.56 H, so I missed it.

I would like to hear your thoughts on why this stone isn't "good". It has good proportions and all the performance and symmetry images look good as well.

However, the clarity plot does bother me a bit. It looks a little nasty for a VS2. That said, I also have to frequently remind myself that I suffer from clarity mind clean issues. And many times a clarity plot looks worse on paper than when you view the actual stone. I kind of wish the labs used shading (pink, light red, medium red, bright red, etc) to really identify the intensity of the inclusions. While the inclusions are plentiful on this stone, I have a feeling many of them are less intense than others. At least looking at the video, I don't think the stone will have any issues being eye clean.

All that said, this stone and the 1.591 G SI1 is the same price. While the clarity grade is less the 1.591 stone looks a little cleaner to me and assuming it checks out to be eye clean I'd take the color and small size bump for the same dollars.

I posted this one yesterday, I am posting it again - 1.514 H VS1 @ $12.5k - https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/ags104097665004-1.514-h-vs1-ideal-hearts-arrows-round

This stone offers some phenomenal value.

VC 1.514 H VS1 = $12,561 / 1.514ct = $8,297 per carat
WF 1.565 H VS2 = $14,506 / 1.565ct = $9,269 per carat

For OP's sake, I am putting the diamond proportions of each stone side by side. While VC has a video of the stone, it is different than the video style of WF so it makes comparing stones from different vendors difficult. However, as so many properties are the same or so close I think this VC 1.514 H VS1 stone will perform very similar to the WF 1.565 H VS2.

InkedCapture_LI.jpg

One thing that bothers me is there is something showing about the 2pm position on both the ASET and idealscope images. I'd think it was a crystal but the clarity plot is not showing anything on the table area.

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

InkedCapture3_LI.jpg

My final thoughts is the "extra facet" outlined in blue above. This might be a reason for the reduced cost of this stone vs the WF stone. Below is a web page that explains it a little better. I don't recall seeing this on any stones I've reviewed so I'd be interested in hearing from others how it may or may not affect visual performance, symmetry, etc. @Karl_K @rockysalamander

https://beyond4cs.com/grading/clarity-characteristics/extra-facet/

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The dot looks like dust to me.
Extra facets are often very small and have little to no impact on performance.
I would talk to the vendor about it.
What happens is a facet is giving the cutter problems cutting in or to remove an inclusion or a natural from the diamond they cut an extra facet.
Some view it as a sign of poor craftsmanship and I kinda agree.
That said I would not throw a diamond out of consideration just for an extra facet if everything else was great and it had no ill effect.

Nicholas A

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hello @sledge

The artifact you see is caused by the holder underneath the diamond which causes a reflection in the pavilion facets of the stone it's not an extra facet. It happens with almost all of our diamonds and is NOT indicate an issue with cut quality. It's an issue with the holders holding the diamond during the scope photo process.
I can the photo with a slightly different holder and it won't be visible.

Ciao

EvaEvans

Shiny_Rock
Premium
WF ACA is more prestigious than VC
Between both brands I will stick with WF ACA

Nicholas A

Rough_Rock
Trade
I think everyone’s perspective on prestige varies.
There are some extremely prestigious, internationally recognized jewelry brands out there but that’s why people come to PS and decide on ultimate quality and value.

Ciao

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Nicholas,
Thank you for the information.
Love your last name! May you have a plentiful 2019. ;)2 Buon Capodanno e Felice Anno Nuovo.

Nicholas A

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi Nicholas,
Thank you for the information.
Love your last name! May you have a plentiful 2019. ;)2 Buon Capodanno e Felice Anno Nuovo.

My pleasure :) We've notified the manufacturer of our ASET scope machine and maybe they can give us an idea about this.
As to the last name, I blame my Italian/Roman family.
Grazie, tanti auguri di buon anno anche a te e ai tuoi cari :D

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The dot looks like dust to me.
Extra facets are often very small and have little to no impact on performance.
I would talk to the vendor about it.
What happens is a facet is giving the cutter problems cutting in or to remove an inclusion or a natural from the diamond they cut an extra facet.
Some view it as a sign of poor craftsmanship and I kinda agree.
That said I would not throw a diamond out of consideration just for an extra facet if everything else was great and it had no ill effect.

Thank you @Karl_K.

Since the extra facet is located on the pavilion side, wouldn't it show in the hearts image? Can you see it and identify it so I can learn how to spot this again?

Capture.PNG

Hello @sledge

The artifact you see is caused by the holder underneath the diamond which causes a reflection in the pavilion facets of the stone it's not an extra facet. It happens with almost all of our diamonds and is NOT indicate an issue with cut quality. It's an issue with the holders holding the diamond during the scope photo process.
I can the photo with a slightly different holder and it won't be visible.

Ciao

Thank you @Nicholas A. My intentions were not to criticize your cut quality. I was just very curious why we saw the white spots on the ASET and IS images.

I understand what you are saying about all your images getting that artifact. I went to your website and pulled ideal H&A to see them on other stones. Three randoms I picked aren't showing the same effects. Did I just pick 3 that doesn't have the marks?

https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/ags104096334006-1.301-f-si1-ideal-hearts-arrows-round
https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/ags104090222004-1.157-h-vvs2-ideal-hearts-arrows-round
https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/ags104100800004-1.31-g-si1-ideal-hearts-arrows-round

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
@sledge
I have never seen one that was visible on a hearts image.
The are usually very tiny.
They can be anywhere on the diamond but the most common is near the girdle on the pavilion.

Nicholas A

Rough_Rock
Trade
No problemo @sledge I was just providing information as to why there was the artifact since you mentioned an extra facet.
I’ve actually reshot the same diamond using an even more critical type of ASET with a backlight and you can see that the artifact isn’t there.

To answer your other question, yes you happen to select three stones that don’t exhibit the same issue. Here’s another one that does:
https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/ags104100649045-1.411-i-vs2-ideal-hearts-arrows-round

I just think it’s importsnt to consider the quirks of photo machines from the actual product.

ASET scope images aren’t standardized but we’ve attempted to standardize the images by using a Lexus/Octonus DiBox machine BUT depending on the holder used to hold the diamond, the artifact can be visible or not. The holder effects how high the diamond sits above the platform. The holder is also in the shape of a cone where the diamond sits inside of. This can focus the light at a specific part of the pavilion facets depending on the height of the diamond above the base of the machine. Shoot a flashlight into a paper cone and then change the distance between the light source and the cone and you’ll see that the light on the wall changes. Does that make sense? This is how this artifact appears.

Ciao

Last edited:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WF ACA is more prestigious than VC
Between both brands I will stick with WF ACA
Both brands are respected and provide excellent service and product. I don’t think that our perception of which one is a more “prestigious” brand should influence OP in his decision making.

There is a $2.7k difference between VC’s 1.5 H VS1 and the closest WF 1.5 H VS1. I wouldn’t ignore that very important fact over someone’s opinion of the two brands.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results