shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions setting this delicious 2.1 ct O/P OEC!

OECfan

Rough_Rock
I scored a BEAUTIFUL O/P OEC from Diana at Sincityfinds! I’ve been stalking Alex (parksfinegroup) and Dolly (xobijoubox) but the stones either go too fast or is just out of my price range. So my heart was pounding when I saw this on Diana’s stories and 20 minutes in, asked her whether it was still available (it was!)

It arrived today and I LOVE IT. It’s the exact pale ivory yellow I want. It’s bright, clean (VS2) with primarily just small chips on the girdle, couple of naturals and an extra facet that I can’t find (but I’m by no means an expert).

Anyway... now I need to figure out how to set this as a ring. I thought I wanted it set in white gold but I put it up against my satin finish 14k yellow gold and I think it looks the best!

I want to bezel it to protect the edges. And I was thinking of maybe a multi setting this Stuller: https://www.stuller.com/products/build/122200/?groupId=121031#/mounting-options but now seeing the stone in person I wonder if I’m better off with a more rustic satin finish yellow gold setting. I’m obsessed with the Art Deco leaf motif sides so was considering something like this but in satin yellow gold finish? https://erstwhilejewelry.com/produc...t-ring?utm_source=pinterest&utm_medium=social

I’m so torn! I’ve spent so much time looking at settings. Also my options are somewhat limited and I need to stick with working with a local jeweller because I’m in Canada and I don’t want to deal with shipping the stone back across the border and having it come back taxed as a ring...

All your thoughts welcome!!

7E0F9ACB-43D7-4B0A-90FF-FB6ED9ACA4F6.jpeg 264511FF-E5EF-48DB-AB19-636C434B86A3.jpeg C1D2FB23-DFB8-434B-9D0E-A92EFA148C03.jpeg 65B5A165-E391-4C3D-94A1-89EE7DF7E6F6.jpeg 273C17EF-ECD2-40F3-8F5A-A5B1803A77A5.jpeg 6521FF1C-CEBF-46E0-AC86-C6EDE0B2E13B.jpeg 34A494D5-7AC7-4648-964B-FDDEC2163E6B.jpeg D389774D-3E22-45ED-B3EB-D56DC8D0A67F.jpeg

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Aww congrats!! I know how hard it is to find an OEC of late so it was meant to be for you!! I don't think you could go wrong with a metal colour :) I am excited to see how you end up setting this beauty!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lucky buy! I really like the idea of the rustic leaf setting. I think that would be super pretty!

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The OEC is beautiful. I think you could go with either yellow or white gold. I’m not a fan of that ultra-modern Stuller setting you posted. I think either a simpler setting or an antique style setting would be much better. Also, your stone isn’t perfectly round, so you might have to go with hand-forged if you want a bezel to fit it. I’m also getting a warm OEC and planning a setting. I’m going with unplated white gold and prongs.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a fan of warm antique stones set in YG so I'd vote for that. As far as setting choice, I also am not wild about the Stuller setting for your stone.
When you say you need to work with a local jeweler does that mean you need to buy a stock setting or do you have a local jeweler who could do custom for you?

It's a beautiful stone!

Last edited:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I love the erstwhile ring inspo - HUGE fan of the floral motif on the sides. I’d go with yellow gold personally, or you could do yellow and white gold for the leaf motif. I’d lean into the contrast and use bright white melee with white metal leaves, or do all yellow gold and make sure you jeweler uses warmer colored melee.

munchee

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on your beautiful OEC!!!!! I saw this stone in her ig and I thought its beautiful!!!! So glad that fellow PSer got it!!!! :)

Out of thw 2 options I like the 2nd option better because it showcases the center better. The 1st option looks somewhat too busy for me.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I like the setting with the flowers on the sides. Also I’m astounded that an OEC lasted 20 minutes on Diana’s page!

ETA - I gets her notifications but I don’t remember it and don’t even see it now. When was it posted? When I scroll through I just see the 4 carat honkers.

Edited again - ah her stories. I forget she does that sometimes and it always confuses me!

Last edited:

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
:love: It's beautiful. The Erstwhile setting is my top of the choices you've shown.
Though there are some other really great designers all across Canada if you look around!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Congrats on the scoring a beauty! I vote for the Art Deco leaf motif setting-satin gold would be so pretty!

OECfan

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for your opinions!

The OEC is beautiful. I think you could go with either yellow or white gold. I’m not a fan of that ultra-modern Stuller setting you posted. I think either a simpler setting or an antique style setting would be much better. Also, your stone isn’t perfectly round, so you might have to go with hand-forged if you want a bezel to fit it. I’m also getting a warm OEC and planning a setting. I’m going with unplated white gold and prongs.

Thanks for your honest opinion! I agree, now that I've seen the stone in person, I don't think that Stuller setting will work. I thought it would look SO good but I think it would be better for a MRB or maybe a whiter transitional. And yes, I realize I'll probably have to get a hand forged bezel!

Sholdt does some beautiful brushed-finish settings that feel sort of... vintage adjacent to me? Filling that spot between antique stone and modern setting. https://www.instagram.com/p/CNdVBqJr5Mx/

I do love their work but unfortunately I'm in Canada and I really want to stay domestic to avoid having to ship the stone across the border. Great inspiration though! I LOVE their 1935 collection and it'd be a dream to own one of the rings one day.

I'm a fan of warm antique stones set in YG so I'd vote for that. As far as setting choice, I also am not wild about the Stuller setting for your stone.
When you say you need to work with a local jeweler does that mean you need to buy a stock setting or do you have a local jeweler who could do custom for you?

It's a beautiful stone!

Thanks for your honest opinion! I agree.
Nope, I definitely don't need to buy a stock setting....one of the jewelers I'm meeting with just suggested I look through the catalogue for inspiration, but we could definitely work from scratch.

I like the setting with the flowers on the sides. Also I’m astounded that an OEC lasted 20 minutes on Diana’s page!

ETA - I gets her notifications but I don’t remember it and don’t even see it now. When was it posted? When I scroll through I just see the 4 carat honkers.

Edited again - ah her stories. I forget she does that sometimes and it always confuses me!

I know, right? I couldn't believe it when she hadn't updated saying it was sold and was SO happy when she responded that it was still available! She posted a bit later than usual (about 3:30 PST) so maybe not as many people were paying attention?

:love: It's beautiful. The Erstwhile setting is my top of the choices you've shown.
Though there are some other really great designers all across Canada if you look around!

Thanks! I'm in AB and there are a couple of newer jewelers I'm eyeing and one particular jeweler who I have crossed paths with many times but never worked with. His bezel work looks amazing, and I also saw THIS TREE BROOCH and am considering having him do a bark shank...

MVC-007F-5.jpg

Some other setting inspiration... definitely leaning towards the satin 14k yellow gold now.

Something like this Stuller:

The BAND of this Stuller, with a bezel:
8a39a424071edf1f553f88d2c69857c5.jpg

(there are lots of Stuller settings because one of the jewelers uses their catalogue)

This, but now that i'm leaning more towards yellow gold, I don't think this will look as pretty as I prefer it in white gold/platinum.
428607b5d4af3925ef5968e3917caafd.jpg

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I love that last one - I actually think it would look great in yellow gold..

two things come to mind...

this one is very similar has the two tone look, and I think is fabulous- I’m biased because I intend to use the design one day!

B943EF2A-A3A0-4FCD-8FE1-07086512CD6F.jpeg

this might be a wider look than you want, but I think this looks soooo good in yellow gold and would compliment the “cushiony” shape of your OEC! Could easily be modified with a bezel

28A7D778-CFB2-4DAD-ADE8-896CC37CF185.jpeg

OECfan

Rough_Rock
I love that last one - I actually think it would look great in yellow gold..

two things come to mind...

this one is very similar has the two tone look, and I think is fabulous- I’m biased because I intend to use the design one day!

B943EF2A-A3A0-4FCD-8FE1-07086512CD6F.jpeg

this might be a wider look than you want, but I think this looks soooo good in yellow gold and would compliment the “cushiony” shape of your OEC! Could easily be modified with a bezel

28A7D778-CFB2-4DAD-ADE8-896CC37CF185.jpeg

Thanks! Indeed that second one from Dolly is a bit too wide...
But good point on the first one, I think it would look good with a yellow gold bezel.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Pretty stone.

Have you considered Emily Gill? She has a lot of very pretty things. She executes a bezel well and also works with enamel.

I have an o/p omc and it's in platinum. That's my preference personally.

I seriously love this setting. She has some great designs.

OECfan

Rough_Rock
Pretty stone.

Have you considered Emily Gill? She has a lot of very pretty things. She executes a bezel well and also works with enamel.

I have an o/p omc and it's in platinum. That's my preference personally.

I seriously love this setting. She has some great designs.

I have seen her work on insta but haven't considered her for this project! I'll have to look through some of her designs, thanks!

This is so different from what I've considered but soooo pretty

Edit: sadly, she will only work with stones that can be dropped off in Toronto and I'm not in Toronto :(

Last edited:

Thanks for your honest opinion! I agree, now that I've seen the stone in person, I don't think that Stuller setting will work. I thought it would look SO good but I think it would be better for a MRB or maybe a whiter transitional. And yes, I realize I'll probably have to get a hand forged bezel!

I do love their work but unfortunately I'm in Canada and I really want to stay domestic to avoid having to ship the stone across the border. Great inspiration though! I LOVE their 1935 collection and it'd be a dream to own one of the rings one day.

Nope, I definitely don't need to buy a stock setting....one of the jewelers I'm meeting with just suggested I look through the catalogue for inspiration, but we could definitely work from scratch.

I know, right? I couldn't believe it when she hadn't updated saying it was sold and was SO happy when she responded that it was still available! She posted a bit later than usual (about 3:30 PST) so maybe not as many people were paying attention?

Thanks! I'm in AB and there are a couple of newer jewelers I'm eyeing and one particular jeweler who I have crossed paths with many times but never worked with. His bezel work looks amazing, and I also saw THIS TREE BROOCH and am considering having him do a bark shank...

MVC-007F-5.jpg

Some other setting inspiration... definitely leaning towards the satin 14k yellow gold now.

(there are lots of Stuller settings because one of the jewelers uses their catalogue)

This, but now that i'm leaning more towards yellow gold, I don't think this will look as pretty as I prefer it in white gold/platinum.

My favourite is absolutely the last one! How about doing a two-tone version, with just the petals in WG? So the basket, prongs, shank etc in YG, but the petals in WG.

If you want to play up the yellow of the stone you could also consider cupping it! Edit: I saw that you were considering a bezel, I do think that setting could work with a fine milgrain bezel in YG as opposed to prongs as well (perhaps a slightly octagonal one to disguise the off-round).

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Totally agree on yellow gold. I think the erstwhilejewelry setting you posted to begin with is a great design.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You scored a beauty. That is a very pretty OEC. Well done!

If no bezel, I would go for this one.
1619682592599.png

If bezel, I would go for YG, in something simple and maybe a brushed finish.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MVC-007F-5.jpg

Beautiful OEC @OECfan congratulations!
I love the last setting in the post I quoted. That would be a gorgeous home for your OEC.
I think it would work in either platinum or yellow gold.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that the last setting would look great in either color metal. You could probably even work in a very thin bezel to the design if you wanted to. I'd be interested to see a drawing of that.

Taylorbug!

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful OEC. Congrats. I am also in the O/P club! Love it! :kiss2: Have you looked at the settings on Ivy and Rose. I purchased mine from them and it is quite nice for the price.

Here is one that is bezel from their site

1619700583975.png

OECfan

Rough_Rock
Beautiful OEC. Congrats. I am also in the O/P club! Love it! :kiss2: Have you looked at the settings on Ivy and Rose. I purchased mine from them and it is quite nice for the price.

Here is one that is bezel from their site

1619700583975.png

Thank you. Yes, I have - unfortunately, nothing that fits a 8 mm stone stands out to me.
I currently have a 5.5 AVR moissanite being set in one of their settings though, I do love their filigree designs!

Last edited:

OECfan

Rough_Rock
My favourite is absolutely the last one! How about doing a two-tone version, with just the petals in WG? So the basket, prongs, shank etc in YG, but the petals in WG.

If you want to play up the yellow of the stone you could also consider cupping it! Edit: I saw that you were considering a bezel, I do think that setting could work with a fine milgrain bezel in YG as opposed to prongs as well (perhaps a slightly octagonal one to disguise the off-round).

Good idea, thanks :)

I didn't realize that off-round was unpopular here in PS! I thought one of the charms of having an old diamond is the imperfections. I already have another ring with octagonal faux bezel so I'll be doing something different with this stone. I'm thinking of setting this sideways (long edge horizontal) so it looks chubbier on my finger. Thanks for the suggestion!

OECfan

Rough_Rock
After looking at too many ring photos for inspiration... I have finally decided on a setting and met with a local jeweller today who’s been a goldsmith for 30 years to discuss my design. I previously discussed the floral/leaf motif design with another local jeweller but it didn’t really feel right.

It is a ring inspired by a design I saw on Alex Park from Parksfinegroupinc’s Instagram. I decided I wanted a bezel setting that looks simple from far away but ornate and detailed up close. The scallop basket on Alex’s design is drool worthy and I loved this ring when I initially saw it. When I revisited this, I knew it was the right design for my OEC.

The wax should be ready in 3-4 weeks, ring in 8 weeks if all goes well.

Thanks everyone for your input!

5958A669-BD02-4584-A902-045C34CF8598.png

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
After looking at too many ring photos for inspiration... I have finally decided on a setting and met with a local jeweller today who’s been a goldsmith for 30 years to discuss my design. I previously discussed the floral/leaf motif design with another local jeweller but it didn’t really feel right.

It is a ring inspired by a design I saw on Alex Park from Parksfinegroupinc’s Instagram. I decided I wanted a bezel setting that looks simple from far away but ornate and detailed up close. The scallop basket on Alex’s design is drool worthy and I loved this ring when I initially saw it. When I revisited this, I knew it was the right design for my OEC.

The wax should be ready in 3-4 weeks, ring in 8 weeks if all goes well.

Thanks everyone for your input!

5958A669-BD02-4584-A902-045C34CF8598.png

It’s going to be beautiful!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results