shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions, please, on these settings!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Not sure if RT is the best place for this, but here goes. As many of you know I want to re-set my original engagement diamond. I know I want a white setting, with some side diamonds, 4 prong. But other than that I always feel very indecisive. I often look at rings with baguettes on the sides. Still not completely sure about them, but here are some pictures of some that I''ve seen and am considering. Keep in mind that I could go custom with someone like Quest, incorporating the best elements of whatever I finally decide. So anyway, PLEASE give me feedback on these styles. Do let me know what you think, positive or negative, about any or all of these rings. If you hate baguettes, or just don''t like the look of these, or whatever, I really do want to know! Better to know now than once I''ve committed to one!!

I''ve stated my criteria before, but I''ll review them here:
My diamond is a 1.097ct ASG Ideal 0 RB, H SI1. I want something that is very classic and timeless; nothing very modern or trendy. But, while classic, I like a bit of uniqueness, rather than too common.

I like for the whole ring to flow well, a work of art, rather than awkward transitions from shank to head and so on.

Probably a smooth shank rather than something carved. Not eternity due to sizing issues. “Elegant, clean lines, that never go out of style.” “classier, delicate look.” “I love attention to detail, clean lines and also, some FRU-FRU on a smaller scale! rather than BIG, BOLD and BANG” “allow the center stone to take center stage while still providing finger cover.”

Incidentally, since I have another wedding set, this ring will probably be worn alone on the right hand.

First ring: A Scott Kay ring with 2 baguettes on each side, with 3 pave diamonds after each baguette: (Please note that this ring as with some others, the center stone is not a real diamond. So ignore the quality of center stone etc.; just judge the style of the rings.)

SK top.jpg

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Profile of Scott Kay:

If there are some elements of these rings that you like, and some that you dislike, all such feedback is invited!!!!

SK profile.jpg

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Side view of Scott Kay:

SK side view.jpg

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Scott Kay on my hand:

SK hand.jpg

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Here is a Simon G. Unfortunately, this is the only picture I can get. No hand shots. But it is a similar idea: a single side baguette per side, with prong set diamonds after. The first diamond after the baguette is pink (set in rose gold), with white diamonds beyond.

Keep in mind, I could get this in all white metal, and/or all white stones. Also, again, if I were to go custom, any feature of these could be eliminated.
Incidentally, in person this is much prettier, and the colors are more subtle.

Simon G bagpnk.jpg

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Here is a Tacori.

Tacori bag.jpg

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Here is a friend''s ring on my hand. Just to give another idea of baguettes on my hand. Her diamond is bigger than mine, I believe.

CC antique FP.jpg

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Profile of friend''s ring:

CC profile.jpg

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Non-tapered baguette ring:

non taper bag.jpg

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
To muddy the waters, here is a non-baguette ring:
This is the Tiffany deco ring. Can''t get hand shots, and can''t really buy it, because Tiffany only sells it with their diamond. I already have a diamond. Thus the only hope for this ring, is if Quest could copy it. But I thought I''d throw it in, since some at the previous GTG liked this on my hand.

Tiffany deco.jpg

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Side view of Tiffany deco.

The side stones are square cut - I think they''re like square emeralds. There may have been a thin baguette set North-South next to the center stone.

Tiffany side vw deco.jpg

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
I think that I liked the Scott Kay ring better on you in person.
2.gif

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
I could throw in lots of other styles of rings to let you compare them to baguettes on my hand, but I have already put such pictures in threads like:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/some-eye-candy-to-kick-off-my-setting-search-opinions-ideas-needed.40739/

https://www.pricescope.com/forum/steam-room/chantilly-gem-show-gtg-t44851-60.html

Please give as much feedback as you can. Which looks best on my hand? What do you/ don''t you like, and why? Given the description of what I''m looking for, is there another style you''ve seen that fits the bill better? Thanks!

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
I remember liking the Scott Kay ring on you because the baguettes don''t overwelm the center diamond and it compliments your hand better.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t know if you want my opinion or not because I am not a huge fan of baguettes. Only on rare occasions do I really like them, so it''s not a surprise I''m not a fan of the Scott Kay. However, I absolutely ADORE that Tiffany Deco setting.....so much.
30.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really like how they all look you
2.gif
. the baguettes are all so nice. Since you're shopping around for unique classic settings, did you see this Tacori in Pearlman's closeout section? It looks like their is some type of scroll work on the side? I wish it had a sideview but you could probably email Bill and ask.

ETA: I also love the Tiffany deco ring but would probably want to see one in person before trying to have one made. Just to make sure I liked it on my hand.

link to tacori

065CO13.jpg

Item: 065CO1 - Ladies heavy platinum and baguette diamond engagement ring mounting by Tacori. The baguettes weigh .40ct total and the ring size is 6. Needs a 1.0ct ish center diamond. Great buy! Reg $2,950.00
Price: $1,200.00

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
FireGoddess, YES! I do want feedback, even from people who don't like baguettes. They seem to be a "love 'em or hate 'em" type of thing. But if the vast majority don't really like them, then I don't really want to get them, even if I am wearing the ring. I know it's most important what I like, but I do want it to be a 'crowd pleaser' too!
4.gif
I think it may also be why I hesitate to get the baguettes. I want to make sure I do like them enough. I think on that thread where the guy was debating between a harry winston RB w/ baguettes vs. emerald cut solitaire, it was about 2/3 in favor of baguettes, with 1/3 preferring the EC. So thanks for the feedback. Plus it helps to hear feedback on the Tiffany deco. If everyone prefers something like the Tiffany deco, I might as well look into that route.

LMurden, when you say "I liked the Scott Kay ring better on you in person", you mean better than in the picture, right? (not, better than others that day in person) If so, I know what you mean. It doesn't photograph well on my hand.

mrssalvo, thanks for the tip! I certainly like the price tag on that better than some of these. I will have to contact Pearlman's for more info.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also am not a big fan of baguettes. They tend to get dirty quickly etc.. Now that Tiffany setting is right up my alley. I bet Quest would do a great job making that setting. I have never seen it before but think it''s stunning.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/22/2006 4:55:24 PM
Author: old-fashioned girl

mrssalvo, thanks for the tip! I certainly like the price tag on that better than some of these. I will have to contact Pearlman''s for more info.

you might even ask Bill to send it to you to try on in person if you''re interested. I like being able to see and try on rings in person because they always look so different blown up in giant pics than how they look on my hand.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Your friend's ring gets my vote so far OFG, i have set your stone from gt picture into it so you'll have an idea of a scale.

OldFasG.jpg

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OFG -- I love the sleekness and simplicity of your friend's ring with the tapered baguettes. It looks SO classy and perfect on your hand. My Tacori has baguettes and I haven't had a problem with dirtiness (then again, I'm an obsessive SI ultrasonic daily user!). My second-runner up would be the Simon G....all the little details make it special without being fussy. My least faves are the Scott Kay (the little pave rounds look almost like afterthoughts, sort of misplaced looking) and the Tacori (don't like how the baguettes are "cluttered up" by the little rounds around them). Of course, this is all judging by photos, which is very limiting. What does YOUR eye like best?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
here's a vote for the Tiffany deco ring. I love it!!!
30.gif
I also am not a fan of baguettes as they seem like one of the dullest stones to pair with a RB...they just don't do anything for me visually. I know that they are one of the most classic looks ala Harry Winston but I just don't like them! But if you LOVE them, then get them. But out of everything you posted, I really love that deco Tiffany ring! It seems like an updated take on an old classic, so it's not baguettes but it is kind of visually similar but more fun.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/22/2006 5:15:52 PM
Author: Pricescope
Your friend''s ring gets my vote so far OFG, i have set your stone from gt picture into it so you''ll have an idea of a scale.
Oh wow, thank you! I do appreciate that. I wish I knew how to use Photoshop. I think that might be what I was trying to do that day I posted my "lame attempt at photoshop"!

I am curious now, do you like normal four prongs better, or fishtail like my friend''s? I guess I could always do a prong type question as a later thread, once I get a better idea of what I want. I must admit I have always loved kittykat''s ring, below. I think I would prefer the prongs on this ring than those on my friend''s. (Maybe I should just go with round sides like kittykat''s. Wish I could try hers on!
1.gif
)

square prongs.jpg

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Also I liked the prongs on this ring. The sides are too wide and busy for me, but these prongs squared off the round stone every so slightly. It was more subtle in person than in the blown-up picture. They seemed like very dainty prongs in person, despite the square-ness.

Meanwhile, thanks to everyone for all the feedback. Keep it coming. I think if I was totally sold on the baguettes I would not be asking, so fire away! Also, KristyDarling, thanks for the very detailed feedback on the others. I must admit the Tacori with the diamonds around it weren''t my favorite either, and your feedback on the pave on the SK reminds me of someone else''s feedback.

sq prong 3202.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
hehe OFG, you're like me, very indecisive
3.gif
. The baguettes look more formal and classic to me. I love antique looking settings too and the last 2 you posted have a more romantic, antique feel to them. Which style are you after or do you think you like for the long haul? Also, do you already have a couple of antique settings?

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/22/2006 5:37:07 PM
Author: mrssalvo
hehe OFG, you're like me, very indecisive
3.gif
. The baguettes look more formal and classic to me. I love antique looking settings too and the last 2 you posted have a more romantic, antique feel to them. Which style are you after or do you think you like for the long hall? Also, do you already have a couple of antique settings?
Yes I have sometimes thought my screen-name should be "indecisive", or since that's been used, "hopelessly indecisive."
8.gif
I do love antique settings, and when you say, "more romantic, antique feel to them" - I love that too. Although I like lots of antique settings, I am drawn to the more simple ones, rather than the busier, ornate ones. For example, that last one I posted, with the square prongs, I didn't like how big the sides were in a way, in that they take too much attention away from the center stone.

I don't have any antique settings. All I have are my current two solitaire rings, the estate one and the plain Tiffany style that's currently holding my diamond, both yellow gold.

"baguettes look more formal and classic to me. ...the last 2 you posted have a more romantic, antique feel to them. Which style are you after or do you think you like for the long hall?"

Hard to say, but I guess I'd say somewhere in between - classic, but not necessarily formal; romantic, and antique without looking dated - antique in the sense of classic, timeless, good workmanship, the whole ring as a work of art, and a bit unique with little interesting touches, rather than antique as in some of the very ornate, Edwardian, Victorian etc... styles. For example in my friend's baguette ring, as in kittykat's ring, they are both very classic, timeless ones that aren't super-complicated or unusual, but the prongs etc. give it an antique sort of feel. Does that help? I know I probably sound pathetic!
5.gif

Also I guess I am drawn toward thinner bands, again so the center stone stands out.

ETA: With regard to: "baguettes look more formal and classic to me" - one thing I think I find is that sometimes the look of just a RB with a single baguette on each side starts to look a little too classic - by which I mean, it starts to seem boring to me, like solitaire. I don't mean to insult all the many classic rings out there, but when I put things like that on my finger, it just seems boring. That's why I like a little extra touch like interesting prongs, or stones at the end, or the detail in the Simon G, for example. Or, the Tiffany deco, it's a simple ring, but with a slightly unusual twist.

togal

Shiny_Rock
My vote is for the Tiffany deco. It allows the centre stone to be showcased, while giving an all over diamond look.....it''s neat, classic, cleaned-lined. I''m not a fan of the Tacori settings.....too much detail, scroll work, etc. Also, I''m not a fan of the ornate claws in the last pic....the eye should focus on the diamond and not the claws, IMO

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/22/2006 6:28:09 PM
Author: Virginia

Date: 5/22/2006 5:30:41 PM
Meanwhile, thanks to everyone for all the feedback. Keep it coming. I think if I was totally sold on the baguettes I would not be asking, so fire away! Also, KristyDarling, thanks for the very detailed feedback on the others. I must admit the Tacori with the diamonds around it weren''t my favorite either, and your feedback on the pave on the SK reminds me of someone else''s feedback.
He he, you must me talking about Ms. Virginia!
11.gif
That is still what I think. I had forgotten about the Tiffany deco ring, that ring looked GREAT on you at the GTG a few months ago. I think that gets my vote. I agree with Pricecope about your friends ring, too. It is fab! You cant go wrong with either.
35.gif
Great minds think alike, Virginia.
3.gif

The Tiffany deco ring is nice, too. Very clean looking and with sparkle all around. Delicious!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, glad I''m not alone in the indecisive club! Ironically, I have similar choices. I can go with a 6 prong Tiffany with a diamond band, or I could go in the Tacori/antique direction. The Tiffany is so much easier since you just have to decide which vendor''s version you like best.

I did love the Dimend Scaasi version of the Harry Winston baguette setting. But when I was at Tiffany''s Saturday, I tried on their version, and I just didn''t like it with the diamond wedding bands as well. I don''t want a baguette w-band, so I just couldn''t make that work. So I have ruled out the baguette setting.

Of the ones you posted, I did not like the Scott Kay. I liked the Tacori and your friend''s ring the most. I am with you on wanting a timeless look that will not be dated looking in 20 years. It is hard to choose a Tacori style without trying them on, which I haven''t done. Sooo, I don''t know how I''ll choose anything other than the Tiffany knife edge!

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/22/2006 6:31:00 PM
Author: KristyDarling

Date: 5/22/2006 6:28:09 PM
Author: Virginia

Date: 5/22/2006 5:30:41 PM
, and your feedback on the pave on the SK reminds me of someone else's feedback.
He he, you must me talking about Ms. Virginia!
11.gif
That is still what I think. I had forgotten about the Tiffany deco ring, that ring looked GREAT on you at the GTG a few months ago. I think that gets my vote. I agree with Pricecope about your friends ring, too. It is fab! You cant go wrong with either.
35.gif
Great minds think alike, Virginia.
3.gif

he he, I was almost going to add when I first wrote that, "and you know who you are!"
2.gif

I'm glad to hear feedback on the deco from someone who saw it on me. And I know PrincessV seemed to really like it too. After you all convince me to love that one, I'll probably find out from Quest it costs twice my budget to make!
3.gif
But it is a pretty setting, so that's why I threw it in.

diamondseeker2006, do you have any Bailey, Banks & Biddle near you? They have Tacori. Aren't there any stores near you with them? In any case, the Tiffany knife-edge I saw on jadie jewel yesterday was gorgeous, and although I didn't pay attention to this specifically, I also didn't notice it feeling uncomfortable. Although with that beautiful 2ct diamond staring me in the face, I may have been distracted!
3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results