shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions please experts. . .cushion specs WITH PHOTOS!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

yamsicle

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

So I finally got the pics, and I would very grateful for your brutally honest opinions. I asked for a Sarin, as Gary suggested, but the jeweller says they "do not have the ability to do a sarin."

yamsicle1.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the stone looks mighty fine.
Any side view (checking crown height)?
Any Idealscope picture (checking light leakage)?

yamsicle

Rough_Rock
I can''t figure out how to upload all the pics in one post. . .

yamsicle2.JPG

yamsicle

Rough_Rock

Last one. . .

Also, specs are:
Cushion Brilliant
Colour: F
Clarity: VS1
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
L/W Ratio: 1.02
Grading Report: GIA
Depth %: 65.1
Table %: 55
Measurements: 5.99 x 5.9 x 3.84 mm
Fluorescence: None
Girdle: Slightly Thick to Thick, faceted
Culet: Medium
$6700

Do you guys think the culet be visble in real life?

I am so anxious as I will not be able to see it.

Thanks everyone! I''d be lost without Pricescope!
6.gif

yamsicle3.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, a medium culet will be visible but it won't be a huge gaping hole or anything like that.
9.gif
I like the look of the culet - it just has a certain charm about it. In real life, you have to peer closely to be able to see it. To ease your mind, ask the vendor to take a picture of the stone between his fingers. This will give you a realistic perspective on its size.

I just love the optical symmetry of the stone. You can also see the koizebe effect; adore it.
30.gif

yamsicle

Rough_Rock
Thanks for replying Chrono, I really, really appreciate it! Do you think the idealscope is ok? And, pardon my ignorance, but what is the koizebe effect?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it looks great! And no, the idealscope isn''t problematic for a cushion.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh MY!!! It''s STUNNING. Snatch that puppy up RIGHT away. And post pics... lots and lots of more pics!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks great to me, too!

yamsicle

Rough_Rock
More pics - Thanks for the suggestions Chrono, and thanks for your input everyone. . .

yamsicle4.JPG

yamsicle

Rough_Rock

Last one! Side view.

Do you guys think the stone will be square enough? The jeweller says it looks completely square!

yamsicle5.JPG

cutey TT

Shiny_Rock
What a beautiful stone!

0.09 mm difference between the length and width should not be discernible at all. It should look totally square (and does to me, even in that first, magnified pic).

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, that''s one gorgeous diamond! I''d buy that baby on the double!

Also, did I miss the carat weight of this diamond?

yamsicle

Rough_Rock
Thing2. . it''s 1.02 carats!

yamsicle

Rough_Rock
Hi All.

You guys are great! Thank you so much for your input. Based on your responses, it looks to be a keeper! As I am not that knowledgeable, can anyone expand on why, based on the images it is a keeper?? Also, I just watched the cushion tutorial on Good Old Gold, and now I am wondering if it will be fiery enough? Will it have that crushed ice look that the tutorial says is generally not preferred? I''m so green! LOL.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s not a crushed ice plot cushion. As for fire. It''s got a great table to depth ratio--most people on here favor a 10% difference between the two, with the table in the mid to low fifties. And the table is fabulous 55%, and from the pics it''s got an amazing crown height. So yes, it''s going to be fiery. Take a deep breath. Relax. Remind yourself of the return policy, take a leap of faith that we know a great cushion when we see one, and buy it. It''s one stunning cushion. And I''ll tell you flat out if I could trade you my 1.09 Ex/Ex 6mm(ish) F VS1, 60% table, 66% depth asscher, for that cushion I''d do it in a heartbeat. It''s THAT stunning. And I''ve got one HECK of a nice asscher, if I do say so myself. Just do it. Gypsy.
2.gif

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It looks like a beauty...
21.gif

But do notice the fact that the 8 pav. mains and the 8 crown mains are made of different alignments!

Thats what explains the smaller 4 crown corner facets...

yamsicle

Rough_Rock
Gypsy - you''re a dear! Thank you so much for the reassurance. I think I am definitely leaning towards pulling the trigger!

Diagem - can you please simplify that for my novice diamond brain? What does that mean in terms of appearance and light performance? Is it a negative?

33.gif

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/28/2007 3:09:32 AM
Author: yamsicle
Gypsy - you''re a dear! Thank you so much for the reassurance. I think I am definitely leaning towards pulling the trigger!

Diagem - can you please simplify that for my novice diamond brain? What does that mean in terms of appearance and light performance? Is it a negative?

33.gif
Is it negative? Depends on the individual Diamond in subject...
In the case of the above mentioned Diamond..., it does not seem to have a negative effect.

If you want to better understand..., look up the Tiffany "Novo" cushion cutting style..., notice the difference between the crown facet position vs the Novo crown faceting position...., you will see what I mean immediately...

As far as appearance..., its more a matter of taste..., (as with all cushions!!!)

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/28/2007 3:01:28 AM
Author: DiaGem
It looks like a beauty...
21.gif

But do notice the fact that the 8 pav. mains and the 8 crown mains are made of different alignments!

Thats what explains the smaller 4 crown corner facets...
That''s the rotation on the "modern cushion" vs the antique style. The rotation prevents bowtie, but then you lose the super chunkies. Its a tradeoff.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/28/2007 5:21:13 AM

33.gif
In the case of the above mentioned Diamond..., it does not seem to have a negative effect.

If you want to better understand..., look up the Tiffany ''Novo'' cushion cutting style..., notice the difference between the crown facet position vs the Novo crown faceting position...., you will see what I mean immediately...

As far as appearance..., its more a matter of taste..., (as with all cushions!!!)
I thought the novo had a rotated crown instead of rotated pavillions? So you end up with 2 kite facets on each side and none in the corners? This looks like a traditional crown to me, but all of these modern cushion types have the rotated pavillions.

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Hey DiaGem - what sort of weight loss % range might you be looking at if you recut one like that to a traditional eight main configuration? Also I hadn't noticed the crown corner mains on those before, thanks for the observation.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/28/2007 10:23:08 AM
Author: Cehrabehra

Date: 9/28/2007 5:21:13 AM

33.gif

If you want to better understand..., look up the Tiffany ''Novo'' cushion cutting style..., notice the difference between the crown facet position vs the Novo crown faceting position...., you will see what I mean immediately...

I thought the novo had a rotated crown instead of rotated pavillions? So you end up with 2 kite facets on each side and none in the corners? This looks like a traditional crown to me, but all of these modern cushion types have the rotated pavillions.
Cehra..., what do you mean ''all'' of ''these''....?

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
I think she means it's a pretty typical style these days.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/28/2007 11:03:58 AM
Author: elmo
I think she means it''s a pretty typical style these days.
Elmo..., haven''t you learned there is no such thing as a typical Cushion???

PS is only a very small community vs. the Diamond world out there...

As I see it..., most Cushion Shaped Diamonds you see out "there" are nothing to close with what we see here on PS...

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
You're right, my frame of reference is "here" not "there". Any recut advice?

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/28/2007 11:01:57 AM
Author: elmo
Hey DiaGem - what sort of weight loss % range might you be looking at if you recut one like that to a traditional eight main configuration? Also I hadn''t noticed the crown corner mains on those before, thanks for the observation.
Sorry..., didnt see this one...

To align as Cehra calls them "rotation" type of alignments to a normal mirror position type will loose quite a bit of weight...
Re-cutting pavillions usually loose much more weight than the crown''s

You need to re-position or re-arrange the pavilion faceting order..., so it depends on the pav. angle you start with and the girdle thickness.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, it will look very square. Mine is a ratio of 1.03 and I think it''s pretty darn square.

I love the stone. The specs look great and the idealscope looks very similar to the one that I had. I couldn''t be happier with the stone I got and I think this would be a winner.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, lovely stone!!! I''d set it with the longer side going along with the length of your finger. It will make the stone look slightly larger as an optical illusion, but the stone will still look square to the naked eye.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results