shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on this sapphire from Nat Sapph Co.?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
http://thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/nscnet/expandedstones.aspx?stoneid=U124

This would be a replacement for my lost tanzanite ring =(

Any opinions (or alternates!) always appreciated

21.gif

RZ

riogems

Shiny_Rock
The "native" cut is quite deep -- look at it when it is laying on its table (face down) -- it looks like a mountain that way. You''re paying for an extra 0.50ct+ of the mountain at apparently no price break per carat (that''s an extra $200). Not only that, it will most likely require a custom handmade setting which will also increase your costs significantly.

colorchange

Shiny_Rock
Trade
This stone is very nice, I think. A deeper cut may bring some beauty. I don't think the cut is native but done in Thailand.
A few comments on these stones :
- This color is widely available seen in the market up to 3 Ct in every shape.
- They are almost always unheated (or at least go through labs as such) so the unheated status don't claim a premium in these.
- This company asks for a legitimate premium because their very large stock makes choosing a stone much easier.
- Though usually sold as from Madagascar, I believe most come from Tanzania, anyway that don't affect the price.

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
One thing I have been noticing a lot in these stones is the "mountain"-like depth of them. I know sapphires generally "face" up quite a bit smaller than diamonds of a similar weight. My guess is that this is due to a difference in cutting styles rather than a major difference in density?

I really like the color of it, though unheated is not quite as important to me. Know any good sources of this color stone that may be heated so that I would avoid that premium?

Thanks for the help so far.

RZ

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
You might want to check out some of the custom cutters sites, http://customgemstones.com for example, has a nice purple sapphire for sale, although half the size of what you posted above.

sa826.jpg

You might also look at spinel as well. A spinel for sale at http://acstones.com

SP-5131B.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i think it all depends on how you plan to set it. i agree it will require a custom setting and if you want to see that fat bottom then that''s what it will have to be. what''s the return policy? why not have it sent to you and make the decision then? the picture doesn''t look as good as the video.....however, until you see it, you won''t know.

movie zombie

eta: i have nothing against a fat bottom/pavillion on an EXCELLENT cut stone. hard to tell with this one.

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
I think I will hold off for now and keep looking...I just really love this color! Not sure I want to get in to the custom setting just yet though...I''m still deciding what kind of setting I''d want.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
good color and good cut are always going to cost LOTS more......don''t rule out custom as it ísn''t always pricey....it will all depend on how you want it set.

the 2nd one does have better symmetry to my eye.....but it is not unusual for a color stone''s pavillion to be deep like in the first one. however, the facet cutting on that pavillion i think becomes even more important than on a shallow stone like the 2nd. the 2nd is a complete different cut and almost unfair to compare it to the 1st.

sapphires can be very very expensive: i saw a $38k star ruby last month...........

do you have any idea of how you want to set a sapphire? that could determine what cut you''re going to need and could help you to determine what you can afford for the stone itself.

movie zombie

riogems

Shiny_Rock
This is a better cut -- it is now difficult to tell if it is cut just right, or possibly slightly shallow... but from the video it looks pretty good. Now, the only problem I see with this stone is the price ($1200/ct). The most important factors in determining price per carat are going to be the color, the size/weight, and then other factors including the cut, clarity, treatment, origin in some cases. This stone, although exactly what you are looking for (something resembling a tanzanite) -- is not as sought after in the world of sapphire, and commands a much lower market price within the wholesale trade than a "cornflower" blue color.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2007 12:25:26 PM
Author:rockzilla
http://thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/nscnet/expandedstones.aspx?stoneid=U124
This would be a replacement for my lost tanzanite ring =(
Any opinions (or alternates!) always appreciated
RZ
Rockzilla, I think this first stone looks gorgeous in the video! The color is to-die-for! It looks like a very brilliant stone with nice scintillation. To me, it looks like that color is achieved because of the depth of the stone. The video indicates that the "keel" is a little off-center longitudinally, but I don''t think that''s anything to worry about. I was worried about an off-center keel with my pink sapphire and I was told by several "experts" that many times this helps to increase the brilliance of the stone. A cutter may be trying to retain an area with a certain color quality that enhances the stone. It''s all about face-up performance.

Sapphires are not like diamonds - there is no such thing as ideal proportions for a sapphire. A sapphire is cut to maximize weight retention and face-up performance. This one looks like it achieves that quite nicely. The price on the stone is fabulous - I think you should at least have this one sent to you on review. My guess regarding the price is that because of the depth, the stone faces up smaller than other sapphires of the same carat weight. The second stone is way more expensive and you just don''t seem as drawn to it.

NSC stone #1: 7 x 5.4 x 5.55 mm 2.1 carats
NSC stone #2: 8.6 x 7.25 x 4 mm 2.4 carats

If you think you will love the color and performance, get it. You can always return it if it''s not what you expected. You may want to ask the NSC about setting feasibility - I''m sure they''ll set you straight.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
gotta agree that the depth on the first stone is what is probably giving the color. in many ways i prefer it to the 2nd stone.....my spess is definitely heavy in the pavillion but the color and cut is to die for......i wouldn''t feel the way i do about it though if the cut wasn''t there. cut and color, can''t go wrong. if there''s a good return policy, have them both sent to you and return the one you''re not in love with.

movie zombie

ps you might not like either of them once you see them.....

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Ever think of getting another tanzanite? Check this one out from Wink Jones: 3.71 carat Tanzanite $3,350. A little pricey, but not that much more than the 2nd stone, and it's a LOT bigger. Nice color too.

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone for your help so far -- I contacted them to find out if it would need a custom setting, and really the answer was "it depends on the setting." They were nice about it, they said if I had a setting already (which I don''t) I could send it in to them and they would check. Also, has anyone done a preview from Nat Sapphire Company before? Was it difficult to return if you decided it wasn''t the stone for you?

My guess is that most pre-made settings are designed with dimond dimensions in mind - is this correct? I want a nice setting, but I don''t want to spend $800 on the stone and then $3000 on a custom hand-made setting.

That tanzanite is beautiful but a bit out of my price range. I also decided on sapphire due to the durability issue.

This may be a long-term project, but I hope it will be a fun one!

RZ
12.gif

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/16/2007 12:31:58 PM
Author: rockzilla
I contacted them to find out if it would need a custom setting, and really the answer was ''it depends on the setting.'' They were nice about it, they said if I had a setting already (which I don''t) I could send it in to them and they would check.

rockzilla, there''s no simple answer to your question. They were truthful in saying "it depends on the setting." Each stone and each setting is unique. Some "off the rack" settings will accommodate deep stones but many won''t and it''s dangerous for a seller to generalize.

Having said that, I''ll go ahead and generalize a little. Chances are the stone will require a non-standard setting, at least where the head is concerned. Being deep, it will affect the overall geometry of whatever piece of jewelry you ultimately select: it will sit high off your finger or high in a pendant. Those issues aren''t addressed in non-custom designs which are usually scaled for standard cuts. Sometimes they can be modified but it''s strictly on a case-by-case basis.

If you''re not planning a custom-made piece, IMO it would be wiser for you to stick with stones with standard dimensions. You''ll end up with better cutting and less hassle having the stone set.

Rick Martin

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/16/2007 12:31:58 PM
Thanks everyone for your help so far -- I contacted them to find out if it would need a custom setting, and really the answer was ''it depends on the setting.'' RZ
12.gif
Rockzilla, it sounds like you aren''t "set" on a particular setting, so maybe the way to approach this is, "Do you have a setting in the XXX price range that would accommodate this stone?" I guess you''ll need to have an idea if you want diamond sidestones, or a halo, or a simple basket setting or what.

I am excited for you! This sounds like a fun project!

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve been thinking a lot about the setting...originally I was going to just go the same as my previous tanzanite ring:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-tanzanite-diamond-ring-now-lost-forever.55048/

Very simple, white gold, sort of squarish band with a diamond on either side. Not sure how much this setting would cost now, but probably considerably more than I paid back in 2005 (<$500)

But, the more I think about it, and the more I look on here, I really like the idea of a halo around a squarish-cushion. I actually am not a big fan of halos on diamonds, but I have warmed up to them on colored stones. Of course, they make everything look bigger, and I don''t want it to be too "costume-jewelry"-ey...if that makes sense. I saw a beautiful skinny halo on a aquamarine at a store near my work...but of course I am still going for the sapphire =)

If I went for the halo, I am guessing it would be a custom job to match the dimensions of the stone (either this stone or any stone), whereas one like my previous setting would be easier to get "off the rack"....does that sound right?

Thoughts please!!
1.gif

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Rockzilla, did you check out "Mounting Options" right from the sapphire page? I''m not clear about how the sidestones are priced - if it''s included or if you have to purchase separately - but if it''s included, there are several 4-10 day standard three-stone mountings for under $500 for 18K (even less for 14K).

I didn''t see any halos on the NSC site. On another thread, one of our fellow PS''ers mentioned Adwar. They are a casting company and their catalog is available online. If you want a halo, perhaps you could ask the NSC if they would work with Adwar?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh gosh, one of my favorite settings is on the NSC site:

sapphireringhalo1a.jpg

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/16/2007 7:01:00 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Oh gosh, one of my favorite settings is on the NSC site:
Wow, that's a great find diamondseeker! I should have been more specific - I didn't see any choices for "halos" from the "Mounting Options" tab. And oops, I should have looked harder, the halos are under "Pave" from the Mountings Options. Thanks - sorry for any confusion!

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
Diamondseeker - I love that mounting! It is gorgeous. I think if I were to do a halo it would be between that and one with just a single band.

It also looks much better in your picture than the simple mounting photos they have on their site - is that from a different company''s site? I also think the NSC mounting photos are throwing me off because they show them all in rose gold (not my favorite!)

Do you think that NSC would send me the stone to inspect, then let me send it back to them to be mounted? From what I''ve read on here they have pretty good customer service...

RZ

sloe-eyed

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/17/2007 1:10:01 PM
Diamondseeker - I love that mounting! It is gorgeous. I think if I were to do a halo it would be between that and one with just a single band.

It also looks much better in your picture than the simple mounting photos they have on their site - is that from a different company''s site? I also think the NSC mounting photos are throwing me off because they show them all in rose gold (not my favorite!)

Do you think that NSC would send me the stone to inspect, then let me send it back to them to be mounted? From what I''ve read on here they have pretty good customer service...

RZ
RZ - yes, NSC often sends out stones for preview by customer. Just make sure that the status of your stone is "available" or "in house" and you''re good to go! i live in new york city and have visited the store a few times...they''re really nice and accomodating. Good luck!

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
Is there a cure for being indecisive? I am now leaning towards a (imaginary) stone that is ~6.5x6.5mm, cushion cut with a halo. (Similar to the halo above)

If I were to get a less "square" stone I''d probably do sidestones instead of the halo...

Right now I want to stick to a budget ~$2k...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results