shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on this Round Brilliant

Round Halo Lover

Shiny_Rock
Hello everyone!

I’m about to purchase this stone. Would love to hear your thoughts. I want to set it in a 6 prong knife edge setting.

Thanks in advance

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This seems to have some leakage under the table and a number of striations.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This isnt one we would usually recommend. Do you have a desired size, color, clarity, and budget?

Round Halo Lover

Shiny_Rock
This isnt one we would usually recommend. Do you have a desired size, color, clarity, and budget?

Oh really!! What are the reasons you wouldn’t recommend?

I’m looking for something 3.5ct+, colourless and less than $4k.

Thanks!

Round Halo Lover

Shiny_Rock
This seems to have some leakage under the table and a number of striations.

Thanks for replying.

How can you tell there is light leakage? Thank you!

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
This (likely) wouldn't look clear to the eye - it would look hazy/milky

Round Halo Lover

Shiny_Rock
This (likely) wouldn't look clear to the eye - it would look hazy/milky

Thanks for your response! I thought I picked a good one based on the proportions!

What makes it hazy? Asking so I know what to look out for in future. Thanks

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for replying.

How can you tell there is light leakage? Thank you!

I've circled some of the areas with striations in blue and some of the leakage areas in green (not comprehensive, but to give you an idea). The striations, when severe, will cause haziness.

G-VS1.jpg

I like these stones better.

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
If you look at the video, when it turns there are what looks like a lot of tiny lines running through the stone at various directions. Those are irregularities formed during the growth process of the stone. They cause the light to break up as it enters and moves around the stone. As that happens, it reduces the amount of white and colored light that returns back to your eyes.

On the still image, the best place to see the irregularities are on the arrow facets in the middle. You'll notice that they don't look black - they look gray. That's the haziness I'm talking about.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
I like the 3.51 and the 3.55 because the crown height is a little higher. But you can see the crispness in all these new stones.

Round Halo Lover

Shiny_Rock
I've circled some of the areas with striations in blue and some of the leakage areas in green (not comprehensive, but to give you an idea). The striations, when severe, will cause haziness.

G-VS1.jpg

I like these stones better.

Thank you so much! I will take a look at these options!

Round Halo Lover

Shiny_Rock
If you look at the video, when it turns there are what looks like a lot of tiny lines running through the stone at various directions. Those are irregularities formed during the growth process of the stone. They cause the light to break up as it enters and moves around the stone. As that happens, it reduces the amount of white and colored light that returns back to your eyes.

On the still image, the best place to see the irregularities are on the arrow facets in the middle. You'll notice that they don't look black - they look gray. That's the haziness I'm talking about.

Thanks so much! I’m so grateful for all your feedback!

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
I am NOT an expert, but based on the great description and images above of striations, I don't see any (Not that I'm right, I just don't see any)
That being said. You are also picking CVD (growth method) diamonds. If you are an expert, you can find good CVD diamonds, but most people on here look for HPHT diamonds as they have less potential problems with the growth medium. CVD is more prone to striations and remnants from the growth process. I'm not sure, but it could also be that CVD are less expensive. I noticed you went up a bit in carat size. If you want a larger diamond, I know the experts on here can find a great one for you but you are might have to either go down in color or clarity. There are beautiful SI diamonds where the inclusions are not noticeable or they can be put where there is a prong or something to hide them in the setting. Remember, you are looking at these videos at 30-50x. When I put your specs in the search on Ritani and selected only HPHT, they were much higher priced.

That being said, this search feature is brand new to Ritani and definitely not perfected yet. You'd be best served to come up with your ideal diamond specs and maybe what you might be willing to compromise on, and see if someone here can find it for you. The choices Kim found are excellent but if you want a little bigger, let her know.
Sorry if I'm prattling on. If I'm wrong, I know someone will correct me! LOL

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! How can you spot that? I feel like I can learn so much from you!

You can see it between the arrow bases. It isn't egregious, but there are better stones out there.

uneven.jpg

Round Halo Lover

Shiny_Rock
How about this?

Looks good!

I’m trying to get the biggest stone possible for my budget but with the best cut/performance possible. I want it to be a fire ball!

My current 2.2ct natural diamond I s a really good cut and is icy white and I just adore it (it will be made into a pendant when I get my new ring). The new stone has to live up to its predecessor

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks good!

I’m trying to get the biggest stone possible for my budget but with the best cut/performance possible. I want it to be a fire ball!

My current 2.2ct natural diamond I s a really good cut and is icy white and I just adore it (it will be made into a pendant when I get my new ring). The new stone has to live up to its predecessor

While you're still considering it, I'd put it on hold so it doesn't get sniped. It should be nice and white, and the high crown angle should help the fire.

Round Halo Lover

Shiny_Rock
I am NOT an expert, but based on the great description and images above of striations, I don't see any (Not that I'm right, I just don't see any)
That being said. You are also picking CVD (growth method) diamonds. If you are an expert, you can find good CVD diamonds, but most people on here look for HPHT diamonds as they have less potential problems with the growth medium. CVD is more prone to striations and remnants from the growth process. I'm not sure, but it could also be that CVD are less expensive. I noticed you went up a bit in carat size. If you want a larger diamond, I know the experts on here can find a great one for you but you are might have to either go down in color or clarity. There are beautiful SI diamonds where the inclusions are not noticeable or they can be put where there is a prong or something to hide them in the setting. Remember, you are looking at these videos at 30-50x. When I put your specs in the search on Ritani and selected only HPHT, they were much higher priced.

That being said, this search feature is brand new to Ritani and definitely not perfected yet. You'd be best served to come up with your ideal diamond specs and maybe what you might be willing to compromise on, and see if someone here can find it for you. The choices Kim found are excellent but if you want a little bigger, let her know.
Sorry if I'm prattling on. If I'm wrong, I know someone will correct me! LOL

Thank you so much. I’ve learned so much and am so so glad I posted here. You guys are awesome!

So my budget is 4K and I want the biggest, colourless stone possible with the best (and firey) cut. I don’t mind dropping down on clarity as long as it’s eye clean! Thanks again for all your help and to @Kim N for all the suggestions so far!

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
I think that 3.73 is beautiful and the ch will make it sparkle. If you like it you should at least put a hold on it or bring it in to see in person.

Round Halo Lover

Shiny_Rock
So I missed out on the 3.73. My husband is travelling and I was waiting to hear back from him before pulling the trigger. I couldn’t see an option to put the stone on hold.
Very upset to have missed out

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
So I missed out on the 3.73. My husband is travelling and I was waiting to hear back from him before pulling the trigger. I couldn’t see an option to put the stone on hold.
Very upset to have missed out

For future use, you can use the little chat box on Ritani to request a hold. Or call them.

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results