shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on this Red Spinel

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/12/2008 2:52:51 PM
Author: Fly Girl
Thanks for the clarification about extinction, movie zombie. Yes, the spinel has nice color and lots of red sparkle, and most of all, a price I can live with!

I''m just back from visiting some $60,000 ruby rings at a high end jeweler, and some $800 ruby rings at a medium end jeweler. I can see with my own eyes that my red spinel looks far more like very expensive ruby, than a cheap ruby looks like an expensive ruby.

I''m getting a quote on the Barbara H settings...we''ll see....
there is absolutely nothing more educational than doing those visits and developing the eye as you have just done! congratulations!

please please please keep us updated re that quote: i think your stone will go with her designs quite well.

i think you''re getting me motivated to set my little mali garnet!

movie zombie

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful FlyGirl, can''t wait to see it set
3.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Thanks lightseeker, LostSapphire and Skippy!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/12/2008 8:31:29 PM
Author: movie zombie

Date: 6/12/2008 2:52:51 PM
Thanks for the clarification about extinction, movie zombie. Yes, the spinel has nice color and lots of red sparkle, and most of all, a price I can live with!

I''m just back from visiting some $60,000 ruby rings at a high end jeweler, and some $800 ruby rings at a medium end jeweler. I can see with my own eyes that my red spinel looks far more like very expensive ruby, than a cheap ruby looks like an expensive ruby.

I''m getting a quote on the Barbara H settings...we''ll see....
there is absolutely nothing more educational than doing those visits and developing the eye as you have just done! congratulations!

please please please keep us updated re that quote: i think your stone will go with her designs quite well.

i think you''re getting me motivated to set my little mali garnet!

movie zombie
ok, here are some Barbara H earring designs that the goldsmith says can be altered to make a pendant. They are all basically the same, with some small differences.

I''d be interested to hear preferences.

First one.

773c.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Second design.

971.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Last one.

1460b.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
the last one!!!! definitely the last one!!!!! i can see it with a small chain.

maybe you should get a matching spinel and make a set of earrings......!

movie zombie

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I like the last one too, but all of them are nice. I love her designs.
Movie Zombie, I don''t think I''ve seen any photos of your mali garnet yet? Could you post a pic?

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/13/2008 12:48:21 AM
Author: movie zombie
the last one!!!! definitely the last one!!!!! i can see it with a small chain.

maybe you should get a matching spinel and make a set of earrings......!

movie zombie
I would never wear those earrings. I'm a "stud" girl, all the way. I've found that my earrings have to be small enough that I can't feel them, or I just won't wear them. Love my diamond studs.

But, a matching ring, now, that would be nice.
3.gif

Yep, I've already asked for a quote on the last design for a pendant. Just wanted to see if you guys agreed.
1.gif
Thank you, too, innerkitten.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
as a pendant that design and your stone will be stunning! hadn''t thought of using the design for matching ring........good idea! i hope you go for that also.

innerkitten, i cant get a good picture of it. its sparkley with green/yellow/golden highlights that flash. every picture i took made it look drab or over saturated. if i posted a picture, you''d think i was crazy for having bought it!

movie zombie

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
well, the quotes are in, and the barbara heinrich custom setting is 10x the cost of the stuller setting.
23.gif
Fly Girl''s opinion of the simple Stuller look is going way up. Puts all the emphasis on the stone and even lets it sparkle better, you know.

Actually, I stopped by the traditional jeweler last week, because he wanted to show me another woman''s oval which he had set into that same Stuller pendant along with diamond accents. Hers was a pretty pale pink sapphire, and it was nice enough, but I couldn''t help noting how much more beautiful my red spinel was. Traditional jeweler agreed with me completely
1.gif
(thus showing exactly how he has prospered in this business)!

My latest thought is to go with the stuller setting, and save the difference for another pet rock. Actually, the difference is enough to buy one of those barbara heinrich colored gemstone rings.
11.gif
Hmmmmm.....

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/16/2008 6:47:24 PM
well, the quotes are in, and the barbara heinrich custom setting is 10x the cost of the stuller setting.
23.gif
Fly Girl''s opinion of the simple Stuller look is going way up. Puts all the emphasis on the stone and even lets it sparkle better, you know.

Actually, I stopped by the traditional jeweler last week, because he wanted to show me another woman''s oval which he had set into that same Stuller pendant along with diamond accents. Hers was a pretty pale pink sapphire, and it was nice enough, but I couldn''t help noting how much more beautiful my red spinel was. Traditional jeweler agreed with me completely
1.gif
(thus showing exactly how he has prospered in this business)!

My latest thought is to go with the stuller setting, and save the difference for another pet rock. Actually, the difference is enough to buy one of those barbara heinrich colored gemstone rings.
11.gif
Hmmmmm.....
OUCH!

hmmmm, but a Stuller pendant and a Barbara Heinrich coloured gemstone rings....

"Let me enable you"!
11.gif

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Oh, wow, I LOOOOVE the Barbara Heinrich stuff! And your spinel is to die for, I am in love with the fluorescent shot. Sorry the price is prohibitive for setting in one of her pieces. However Stuller is decent quality stuff, and will show off your spinel to advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results