shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on this Red Spinel

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I''m taking a look at this 1.07 ct trillion cut red spinel. It will probably go into a pendant or a ring. I''ve always wanted a nice RED ruby, and since a red spinel is so much better looking for the price, I decided to call this one in.

Here is the dealer''s photo.

Spin2086a.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
And, here are some pictures that I took when it arrived. It has a lot of red flashes, that my camera completely blocks.

IMG_3482.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Another...

IMG_3479.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
and another...

IMG_3480.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I love the red fluorescent glow under the UV light.

REDfluor3497.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I dropped by my favorite traditional jeweler, and he suggest this setting, with about three small diamond accents along the metal above the spinel.

Stuller22162_y_.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Sort of like this setting, except here everything is channel set. He thinks the spinel needs as much light as it can get.

Stuller81848_y_.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Then I dropped by my favorite modern jeweler to admire the Barbara Heinrich pieces they have there. I drool over these.

3-2BarbHein.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
More Barbara...

6-1BarbHein.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
even more Barbara...

7-7BarbHein.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
and still more Barbara.

6-8BarbHein.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Wish I could have a stacking ring (with matching earrings and pendant!) in every color, along with these diamond ones.

So, I''m thinking about having the red trillion spinel set in a pendant by Barbara, and of course, I''ll have to get a matching red stacking ring.
11.gif

1-1BarbHein.jpg

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, that is gorgeous!

dh97

Shiny_Rock
Your red spinel is very beautiful color. I love to see it in a pendant.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
That is a beautiful spinel I especially dig the fluoro :), I think a pendant would showcase that stone nicely :):)

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Very, very nice - the colour is outstanding!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Oooh thats such a beautiful red. Trillions always seem to sparkle well. My only concern would be that it looks dark in a couple of the photos. Could it be hat the stone has a lot of extinction or is it just the photo? I love the stacking bands you posted. I would also like one in every color and the diamond ones too :)
I like the idea for the pendant.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/11/2008 10:38:25 AM
Author: innerkitten
Oooh thats such a beautiful red. Trillions always seem to sparkle well. My only concern would be that it looks dark in a couple of the photos. Could it be hat the stone has a lot of extinction or is it just the photo? I love the stacking bands you posted. I would also like one in every color and the diamond ones too :)
It''s not really extinction. It looks a lot like a car''s taillight when it is off and the sunlight hits it. Then you see the red glow. The body color is a bit darker red than I was hoping for, but it is a gorgeous stone.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/11/2008 4:47:14 AM
Author: Pandora II
Very, very nice - the colour is outstanding!
Thanks, Pandora. And thank you marcyc, dh97, and Deelight.

I''m also thinking pendant. The open Stuller setting would probably be best for this stone, since it is a bit on the darker side, and that would let more light in. But, I love that bezeled Barbara Heinrich look as well.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Well your lucky. Those are very hard to find these days! Looking forward to seeing the final product.

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
That is an absolutely beautiful stone. I love spinel. To me good spinels are no less beautiful than good rubies - just less costly.

It''s also a very nice cut. There doesn''t seem to be anything in the way of a window.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW, Fly Girl, that spinel is GORGEOUS!!!!! I love the color and can''t wait to set how you get it set...and the matching ring of course......and maybe some matching earrings?

shinyrocks

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I LOVE THAT SPINEL!
30.gif
If it looks in real life anything like the first picture, you got a good one! That color is incredible....

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/11/2008 10:49:53 AM
Author: Fly Girl

It''s not really extinction. It looks a lot like a car''s taillight when it is off and the sunlight hits it. Then you see the red glow. The body color is a bit darker red than I was hoping for, but it is a gorgeous stone.

it is extinction: you have described it in a way i never thought of! however, it doesn''t mean that its a bad stone. the price for that stone w/o extinction would be thousands per carat. you have a stone you like: enjoy it!

i LOVE the barbara settings you posted......the rich gold with red makes my heart beat faster. i vote for a ring. you could build your own stacking ring set with your purchases!

movie zombie

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/11/2008 12:00:38 PM
Author: Kim Bruun
That is an absolutely beautiful stone. I love spinel. To me good spinels are no less beautiful than good rubies - just less costly.

It''s also a very nice cut. There doesn''t seem to be anything in the way of a window.
Thanks, Kim. That was my intent. To get something that looks about as pretty as a nice ruby, but without the price tag.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/12/2008 9:05:01 AM
Author: Catmom
WOW, Fly Girl, that spinel is GORGEOUS!!!!! I love the color and can''t wait to set how you get it set...and the matching ring of course......and maybe some matching earrings?
Thanks, Catmom! I''m just back from visiting a few jewelers. I am more convinced than ever that it is a very nice color.

Still trying to figure out how to set it. I''m getting quotes from several jewelers on different setting ideas.

Earrings would be nice, but I prefer to wear studs. My diamond ones are pretty nice!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/12/2008 9:13:11 AM
Author: shinyrocks
I LOVE THAT SPINEL!
30.gif
If it looks in real life anything like the first picture, you got a good one! That color is incredible....
Thanks, shinyrocks. The color is a rich red, with a touch of purple. I prefer a bluish red, rather than an orange or pink red, so I think it looks pretty nice.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/12/2008 12:46:25 PM
Author: movie zombie

Date: 6/11/2008 10:49:53 AM
Author: Fly Girl

it is extinction: you have described it in a way i never thought of! however, it doesn''t mean that its a bad stone. the price for that stone w/o extinction would be thousands per carat. you have a stone you like: enjoy it!

i LOVE the barbara settings you posted......the rich gold with red makes my heart beat faster. i vote for a ring. you could build your own stacking ring set with your purchases!

movie zombie
Thanks for the clarification about extinction, movie zombie. Yes, the spinel has nice color and lots of red sparkle, and most of all, a price I can live with!

I''m just back from visiting some $60,000 ruby rings at a high end jeweler, and some $800 ruby rings at a medium end jeweler. I can see with my own eyes that my red spinel looks far more like very expensive ruby, than a cheap ruby looks like an expensive ruby.

I''m getting a quote on the Barbara H settings...we''ll see....

lightseeker

Rough_Rock
I saw Barbara''s stuff at the American Craft Council show in St. Paul this spring.....GORGEOUS!!

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE it and I''m not usually a "red" person! The shape is amazing too!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results