shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on this Oval.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

NYDiamond

Rough_Rock
Would appreciate any opinions on the spec''s of this Oval. Based on my limited knowledge, it seems like it meets most of the important criteria, particularly for cut. Any ideas of what a fair price would be is also appreciated.

Carat = 2.60
Color = D
Clarity = SI2
Length / Width = 1.41
Depth = 62.4%
Table = 56%
Crown Height % = 14.4%
Girdle = Medium to Thick Faceted
Culet = None
Polish = Very Good
Symmetry = Good
Florescence = None

Thanks.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Looks pretty good so far. An Idealscope photo would be helpful in determining if the crown and pavilion angles create a good enviroment for light return.

Another big point is whether the diamond is a true SI2, or a glorified I1. There''s a considerable price difference between the two grades. I''d feel pretty comfortable with an AGS or GIA report attesting to the SI2 status, and maybe an EGL-USA report double checked by a savvy appraiser. Anything else I''b be very wary of until verified.

NYDiamond

Rough_Rock
This is a GIA Certified Diamond. Does that help in determining a fair price? Thanks.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some... how visible the inclusions are would certainly help.

And I suspect this is why making estimates without the stone in hand is rather tricky. There are listings of comparable diamonds online, for what that matters.

My (inexpert) 2c

diamondgirlNY

Rough_Rock
HI.

In regards to this oval, I would also consider the visual on the stone, do you have a dark bow-tie effect in the center of the stone? Not only is the report (GIA,EGL,AGS, no name brand) important, it is more important on the visual. I have rarely seen even the most saavy of diamond dealers ever buy a fancy shaped diamond off of "cert". Fancy shaped diamonds have a tendency to have areas in the face up that appear to be dark...this are areas that light is not refracted/reflected back to the eye but lost "out" of the stone. Because there is no true "mathmatecal ideal" for fancy shapes, the amount and type of light return, must be considered....this will affect the stone''s value.
28.gif

NYDiamond

Rough_Rock
For what it''s worth, I''ve been told it has a "very, very small bowtie" and is "eye clean". I guess my eye will ultimately tell the story.

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I really want to hear how this turns out. I love ovals, but that darn bow tie effect would have to be minimal for me.

Please post any pictures if you get some.

NYDiamond

Rough_Rock
Got one more number on the stone, the Crown Height. It measured 1.08, 1.10, 1.12 for an average of 1.10. Don''t know if this adds anything to the sum total of information.

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
What?
Hmm I only know crown depths which are like 10-15% and crown angles-running like 29-35 what is that u listed again? Get an IS for that giant stone!!!And some pics to see the bowtie!!! Do your own search with the same cut parameters to get a price idea.

NYDiamond

Rough_Rock
As best as I can tell 1.1mm is the actual avg. Crown Height.

Crown height % = (avg crown height ÷ avg diameter) x 100

In this case the Diameter would be approx. 7.6mm if I calculated correctly.

Since the total depth of the stone is 4.78mm than I guess the Pavillion Depth would be 4.78 less the Crown Height of 1.1 and the height of the Girdle which I don''t really have a number for.

Not sure any of this makes any sense.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
'Eye clean' D-SI2... nicely above 2.5 cts and a fine cut. This is one desirable stones as far as I can tell.

At least online quotes for the 'basic' stats go between 20 and 25k. Not sure how helpful this is, since web prices are supposed to be lower. So... this makes a tentative guess. You may want to ask an appraiser 'officially' - the case seems well worth it.

diamondgirlNY

Rough_Rock
Enjoy the shopping experience!! I think that seeing the stone, and liking the stone is more important than the mathematical calculations that everyone is talking about. I am not saying to "just buy it".... but, at the end of the day, regardless of what the paper work says, you really need to love it....
30.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
NY, from the measurements you've given it appears that the dimensions on the diamond would be in the neighborhood of 10.80 x 7.66 x 4.78 mm.

With a crown measurement of 1.1 mm, that would put your crown height at 14.4%, which is a positive indicator. A very healthy crown height, which doesn't guarantee the stone is a winner, but definitely indicates that it's a good possibility.

Considering the 62.4% total depth, medium to thick girdle, and 14.4% crown height, the proportions on this stone indicate it is probably a fine make. The "minimal bowtie" comment is always a nice plus.

As R. Choi points out, the determining factor will be the visual observation, but so far no red flags are being raised.

As far as price, you'll have to do your own research with comparables or get input from some of the Pricescope consumers. Most appraisers won't comment on the value of a stone without seeing it. It's not fair to the vendor or the consumer.

Make your purchase contingent upon the diamond appraising out to your satisfaction with the independent appraiser of your choice, with a reasonable right-of-return period for ANY reason, and you can't lose.

NYDiamond

Rough_Rock
Gemguy: It''s a GIA.

NYDiamond

Rough_Rock
Richard, you got the dimensions pretty much exact: 10.77 x 7.66 x 4.78. Thanks for the opinion.

Gemguy

Rough_Rock
Hi there
1.gif

My opinion it should be somewhere around $15,000 to $ 16,000.
The stone in the market would go for this price range.

Gem Sezgin

Diamond Dealer

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
I have to say I''m skeptical when I see vendors commenting on how much other vendor''s stones should be going for on the market.

A common pattern is to see them quote cheap on a stone, to make the other vendor''s stone seem overpriced.

Gem Sezgin, are you saying that you have or could acquire a GIA certified stone of this size, grade & cut quality, add your modest profit to it and sell it to NY Diamond for $15,000 to $16,000?

I''d be curious to see the specs on such a stone.

gem34

Rough_Rock
Hi

No one has to be skeptical because some is giving their opinion on price!!!
i don''t see myself trying to sell any stone to this person , and when I was pronounce the price i was beeing very modest

Gem Sezgin

diamond dealer

gem34

Rough_Rock
I am new at this forum, I didn''t mean to insult anyone.For some reason I couldn''t log in as my first member name, and i had to change my profile name.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/4/2006 5:26:13 PM
Author: gem34
and when I was pronounce the price i was beeing very modest

Gem Sezgin
diamond dealer

I'll say.

Welcome to the forum. No harm done. Just be careful when you're throwing around prices. Since you are a professional, consumers look to you for realistic advice.

NYDiamond

Rough_Rock
Gem34: Your price seems on the low side but I''ll factor it in . Thanks for the opinion.

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
Wow this huge oval is sounding lovely!!! Price wise I would expect 20k-24 k online and higher in person. Please post pics as I can''t wait!! Ensure it is eyeclean though!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results