shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on this Oval Diamond

awo7

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

Thoughts on this 2 carat Oval? I'm mainly worried about the bowtie and the strong fluorescence. I am planning on setting it on a solitaire setting to propose to my longtime girlfriend.
IMG_5501.jpg
(indoor lighting)

IMG_5504.jpg
(outdoor lighting)

Videos
Indoor Lighting: Outdoor Lighting:
ColorE
ClarityVS2
Depth63.2%
Table58%
FluorescenceStrong Blue

Bowtie
When I first received the stone, I didn't notice the bowtie effect. However, the more I look at the stone, the more the dead area (across the belly) becomes noticeable to me. Am I seeing things and nitpicking at this point?

Fluorescence
I, personally, am indifferent about the fluorescent effect but I am unsure about her feeling towards it. For those that chose a fluorescent engagement ring center stone, how does your significant other like it?

Thank you in advance!!

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
Concerning the fluorescent I can only speak for myself. I love it. Someone once said it‘s like a hidden superpower and I liked that. But many people see it as a bad thing in a stone. So you might try to figure that out first.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Concerning the fluorescent I can only speak for myself. I love it. Someone once said it‘s like a hidden superpower and I liked that. But many people see it as a bad thing in a stone. So you might try to figure that out first.

I would never give a non fluorescent diamond to a loved one. But I would like to see the cert to see if there are any hazy milky risks

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I’ve always felt like D, E, & F should not have more than Faint Fl. I believe that the value of a stone of E color with Strong Blue would be discounted.

alittlelight

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Bow ties can really vary — I would probably look for one that is a little less noticeable. Just my two cents.

Dizzie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just wanted to make you aware, that industry heavily discounts fluorescent (esp SBF) high color (DEF) diamonds. They are always heavily discounted in comparison to non FL high color stones. Also they are much harder to resell should the need arise.
I can imagine myself buying such stone because I simply like fluor, but only in the case when I am reasonably sure that I will not want / need to resell it at some point

awo7

Rough_Rock
Just wanted to make you aware, that industry heavily discounts fluorescent (esp SBF) high color (DEF) diamonds. They are always heavily discounted in comparison to non FL high color stones. Also they are much harder to resell should the need arise.
I can imagine myself buying such stone because I simply like fluor, but only in the case when I am reasonably sure that I will not want / need to resell it at some point

I’ve always felt like D, E, & F should not have more than Faint Fl. I believe that the value of a stone of E color with Strong Blue would be discounted.

I purchased the diamond with the discount on fluorescent diamonds in mind and I believe it was priced fairly. Also, I do not anticipate that I will resell the diamond. My main concern was her opinion/reaction to fluorescence. Not so much the pricing and resale value.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I think as long as it doesn’t get hazy, the fluorescence, when visible, will be REALLY cool. I liked the sparkle it has. It’s just hard to see about the bow tie when not in person but we know ovals and marquises have this, it’s just inherent and we just try to get a stone with a less-pronounced bow-tie and/or a stone with other aspects that compensate for it... and from what we can see, it appears to me this stone has a lot going for it. Similarly, for me, I don’t particularly love the way a round brilliant looks in the center of the stone in certain angles (so sort of the bow-tie “equivalent” in rounds). This is just the nature of the beast, if you will. I think all shapes and cutting styles have their shortcomings.
Please post photos of the finished ring. 2ct E VS2.... doesn’t get much better than that! Congratulations!

joelly

Ideal_Rock
E with SBF is yummy. With that bowtie, I’ll get it into a pendant rather.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Fluorescence/SBF in a E colored stone. To what advantage?

cheers--Sharon

headlight

Ideal_Rock
OP has already purchased this stone and is happy with it and not concerned so.

FinleysMom

Shiny_Rock
Premium
My soloitaire is not perfect.....and I have LOVED my 1 carat for 20 years...I admire it every day. Enjoy that beautiful oval!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not see any hazy watchouts. If you are ok with the bowtie then live happily.
They are usually worse in photos

Ditto...or when you are in bright sunlight they will go dark just like a round brilliant goes dark.

Come back with pics please when you get it set! Congratulations!

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
I love FL in stones but it’s a personal choice. I’m a fan of the icy blue it gives off on a sunny day.

I had a stone with a noticeable bow tie once. Sometimes it bothered me, but overall it didn’t. I was very happy with that ring and never considered upgrading while I wore it.

Personally I think it’s a beautiful oval. I can’t wait to see your ring set. GL and congratulations on your upcoming proposal.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
As long as it isn't hazy I don't mind some FL. I have a K colored diamond that looks different in different lighting as is expected...sometimes it shows like a K and sometimes whiter. The FL is the same to me. Enjoy the diamond. Please come back with more pics!

Dizzie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I do not see any hazy watchouts. If you are ok with the bowtie then live happily.
They are usually worse in photos

Gary, could you please elaborate what would be your hazy watch outs on the cert (generally, not related to the spefuc stone, as I realize that as a member of trade, you are limited in what you can say about the specific diamond)

Thank you

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the fluor but personally might be bothered by the bowtie. Completely a personal choice though.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results