shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on this one

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have red and reddish pink and a couple of orangey red spinels that go darker reds indoors and some that go a pinker red indoors but if any of them show even the tiniest traces of brown in any lighting in real life I send them back.

Unfortunately spinels shift depending upon the lighting source meaning you won't know if you like it, until you view it in person. I've purchased a couple of stones from Vlad his photos are usually pretty accurate!!!

voce

Ideal_Rock
Joking aside, are there any general rules about reddish spinel, such as brownish/orangish red is liking to go brown, pinkish could go purpleish, or spinels from certain regions hold red color better, etc?

I think it has to do more with UV fluorescence than which region the spinel came from. @T L's pear spinel is from Mahenge, Tanzania if I'm not mistaken, and my spinel is from Burma, and both hold color fairly well in different light settings.

When people say they prefer pinkish red rather than orange red, I think that it's due to UV fluorescence, which turns the red more pinkish, but not the sort of pink that would turn purple. In contrast, an orangey red is not as fluorescent and can look dull while not under sunlight. Note the first image is adjusted so that the saturation of the red gems closely match what my eyes see.

IMG_20200217_152034.jpg IMG_20200217_152203.jpg IMG_20200217_152138.jpg

Last edited:

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Omg, love the 3-stone and proportion. Don’t talk it down! I am not a pink person and I still adore the picture! Please do a classical 3-stone...can you tell that I don’t like typical halo! Lol!

What color are the side pair? They work well with the pear.

Just curious how high you would set the side diamonds since the belly of the pear is curvy?

I think they were F colour? But I'd have to go check.

The curvature is not as bad if you set them a little bit higher -- i just couldnt get a photo though as when I tried they'd tend to slip down again. I anticipate there'll still be a slight mismatch though, but need to get them out (probably with some blue tac) and decide how bad itll be.

Lol that was what I meant about awful photos. I got these for my birthday, and only had 10 minutes to get some photos before I had to put them away (honestly havent taken them out since. Think at this stage the project is going to require some effort to actually straighten out the details. And that sounds like work, which is dulling my enthusiasm :lol-2: .).

Originally I wanted to set the round red spinel with the cadilac cuts (I had sneakily snapped some pictures of this combo before putting the stones away till my birthday). But it definitely had a mismatch. So I think it has just taken me a couple of months to process this info and reach a decent plan.

Sorry for thread jacking, I think perhaps if I reach a conclusion I'll start a different thread about it so I can divert the conversation less :) .

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
I think it has to do more with UV fluorescence than which region the spinel came from. @T L's pear spinel is from Mahenge, Tanzania if I'm not mistaken, and my spinel is from Burma, and both hold color fairly well in different light settings.

When people say they prefer pinkish red rather than orange red, I think that it's due to UV fluorescence, which turns the red more pinkish, but not the sort of pink that would turn purple. In contrast, an orangey red is not as fluorescent and can look dull while not under sunlight. Note the first image is adjusted so that the saturation of the red gems closely match what my eyes see.

Interesting points. Here are photos taken at a jewelry shop. Look at that sucker and how it stood out from the entire case of reddish gems! I recalled it was less pink. possibly more straight red or even with a bit of brown. Hence I am tempted with the cushion above, in hope that it would perform well indoor.

IMG_0200xs.jpg IMG_0201s.jpg

voce

Ideal_Rock
Interesting points. Here are photos taken at a jewelry shop. Look at that sucker and how it stood out from the entire case of reddish gems! I recalled it was less pink. possibly more straight red or even with a bit of brown. Hence I am tempted with the cushion above, in hope that it would perform well indoor.

IMG_0200xs.jpg IMG_0201s.jpg

If you have risk-free return, you should go for it to see if you love it in person.

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
I have red and reddish pink and a couple of orangey red spinels that go darker reds indoors and some that go a pinker red indoors but if any of them show even the tiniest traces of brown in any lighting in real life I send them back.

Unfortunately spinels shift depending upon the lighting source meaning you won't know if you like it, until you view it in person. I've purchased a couple of stones from Vlad his photos are usually pretty accurate!!!

Thanks for the feedback. I've browsed his site. Many gems don't come with videos, but just glam shots. Performance from his videos might be a bit more realistic?

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
I think they were F colour? But I'd have to go check.

The curvature is not as bad if you set them a little bit higher -- i just couldnt get a photo though as when I tried they'd tend to slip down again. I anticipate there'll still be a slight mismatch though, but need to get them out (probably with some blue tac) and decide how bad itll be.

Lol that was what I meant about awful photos. I got these for my birthday, and only had 10 minutes to get some photos before I had to put them away (honestly havent taken them out since. Think at this stage the project is going to require some effort to actually straighten out the details. And that sounds like work, which is dulling my enthusiasm :lol-2: .).

Originally I wanted to set the round red spinel with the cadilac cuts (I had sneakily snapped some pictures of this combo before putting the stones away till my birthday). But it definitely had a mismatch. So I think it has just taken me a couple of months to process this info and reach a decent plan.

Sorry for thread jacking, I think perhaps if I reach a conclusion I'll start a different thread about it so I can divert the conversation less :) .

You're funny! I don't have any loose gems/diamonds. I tend to set the rocks ASAP once I decided to keep them. I enjoy wearing jewelry.

I too really like the 3-stone setting for the pear. I love pear, especially chunky ones and in colored gemstones. Just something about it.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You're funny! I don't have any loose gems/diamonds. I tend to set the rocks ASAP once I decided to keep them. I enjoy wearing jewelry.

I too really like the 3-stone setting for the pear. I love pear, especially chunky ones and in colored gemstones. Just something about it.

Lol yes, especially when you consider that I also get no real buzz off simply owning a stone. I dont even get it out to look at it for months at a time. I only enjoy the stuff I'm wearing (usually almost nothing) and am completely oblivious to the rest. I forget I own it most of the time.

I am increasingly suspecting that I may not be that into coloured stones or jewelery at all. And might be here more for the discussion and interaction. Still psychoanalysing that one. I do thoroughly enjoy not making sense or having somewhat unfeasible plans that I need to reconcile with reality every once in a while -- I immensely enjoy translating in theory to in reality and I also find it really liberating to not continuously worry about whether what I just said was defensible and structured to make the relevant information accessible. (Or was simply full of logical non-sequitors with information jumbled out of any sensible order.).

So I suspect that may be what is driving a lot of my somewhat nonsensical behaviour.

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
Lol yes, especially when you consider that I also get no real buzz off simply owning a stone. I dont even get it out to look at it for months at a time. I only enjoy the stuff I'm wearing (usually almost nothing) and am completely oblivious to the rest. I forget I own it most of the time.

I am increasingly suspecting that I may not be that into coloured stones or jewelery at all. And might be here more for the discussion and interaction. Still psychoanalysing that one. I do thoroughly enjoy not making sense or having somewhat unfeasible plans that I need to reconcile with reality every once in a while -- I immensely enjoy translating in theory to in reality and I also find it really liberating to not continuously worry about whether what I just said was defensible and structured to make the relevant information accessible. (Or was simply full of logical non-sequitors with information jumbled out of any sensible order.).

So I suspect that may be what is driving a lot of my somewhat nonsensical behaviour.

:lol-2: Let's see if I could get you excited about setting your pear...

d2e87c3174ac0d65dfbb16bb58b0dfe1.jpg tumblr_p46ekqTins1wyd6myo1_1280.jpg

You could use your larger pair on something like this one...it's actually my favorite, proportion and height wise. Really love the open/simple basket, easy to clean.

graff_25ct_fipink_diamond.jpg

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
:lol-2: Let's see if I could get you excited about setting your pear...

d2e87c3174ac0d65dfbb16bb58b0dfe1.jpg tumblr_p46ekqTins1wyd6myo1_1280.jpg

You could use your larger pair on something like this one...it's actually my favorite, proportion and height wise. Really love the open/simple basket, easy to clean.

graff_25ct_fipink_diamond.jpg

Hahaha I think my problems might be quite incurable though ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

Love the design with the small pears, especially the gold prongs peaking out. Makes the colour pop (which is my main worry with not giving it a halo. I dont like halos but they do up the contrast which can be super helpful to get the colour to really stand out).

DauphineMucha

Shiny_Rock
Hahaha I think my problems might be quite incurable though ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

Love the design with the small pears, especially the gold prongs peaking out. Makes the colour pop (which is my main worry with not giving it a halo. I dont like halos but they do up the contrast which can be super helpful to get the colour to really stand out).

Maybe...I’ve been told many times that it’s better to pair diamond with CG. I just ignored them...I like my CG the way I like it. IMHO, if the CG has great color, it should POP even by itself.

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

@qubitasaurus love this! So elegant in prose!

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@qubitasaurus love this! So elegant in prose!

Thanks, good to know it struck a balance between moody existential crisis and not taking myself too seriously; dusted with fancy language.

Dauphine, I think perhaps this is out of context-- I was mostly just thinking of myself as I have skin that leans pink and flushes reddish pink whenever I wash, rub my skin or just go out in the sun which in the tropics is tough to deal with (actually I'm rosacean and even have an expensive dermatologist who I spend 1000s on each year for precisely this condition -- to very little avail as it appears to be an inherited trait in my case.). Since I am already slightly pink, getting a contrast with this colour palette is pretty difficult -- possibly why I'm meh about the colour in general.
On the slightly less inflective note, I'd probably add a gold cup to a yellow daimond to make the colour pop. So I guess we may also have different approaches to things. Even if I had a knock out gem in the first place, if it got better due to clever use of the surrounding materials then I'd consider the overall construction even more elegant (honestly the trick would probably be my favourite bit, as it'd amuse me more than the stone. Like I said though I am suspecting I am just here to cause mischief rather than due to any deep underlying appreciation for gems.)

DauphineMucha

Shiny_Rock
Dauphine, I think perhaps this is out of context-- I was mostly just thinking of myself as I have skin that leans pink and flushes reddish pink whenever I wash, rub my skin or just go out in the sun which in the tropics is tough to deal with (actually I'm rosacean and even have an expensive dermatologist who I spend 1000s on each year for precisely this condition -- to very little avail as it appears to be an inherited trait in my case.). Since I am already slightly pink, getting a contrast with this colour palette is pretty difficult -- possibly why I'm meh about the colour in general.
On the slightly less inflective note, I'd probably add a gold cup to a yellow daimond to make the colour pop. So I guess we may also have different approaches to things. Even if I had a knock out gem in the first place, if it got better due to clever use of the surrounding materials then I'd consider the overall construction even more elegant (honestly the trick would probably be my favourite bit, as it'd amuse me more than the stone. Like I said though I am suspecting I am just here to cause mischief rather than due to any deep underlying appreciation for gems.)

Yes, of course. We all have our own priorities, preferences, styles and am happy that PS offers such open platform to everyone.

I feel bad to hear about your rosacea. Does it calm down a bit in the winter time with slightly lower temp & humidity ?

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes, of course. We all have our own priorities, preferences, styles and am happy that PS offers such open platform to everyone.

I feel bad to hear about your rosacea. Does it calm down a bit in the winter time with slightly lower temp & humidity ?

I'm sorry, I really didnt mean to make you feel bad -- I think I am in a sardonic mood as I am trying to finish a document for work which is a bit of an administrative absurdity (and since I am not allowed to express this sentiment in real life it is positively seeping out of me in other ways. I'll stop messing arround in this thread and go elsewhere till I've finished it and retracted the metaphorical fangs I am growing). I'm honestly lucky :), there are much worse problems to inherit, but since I live 1 degree north of the equator it is pretty persistent all year round.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results