shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on this heart shaped diamond?

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock
Apologies if you’ve already seen this question from me in another thread! I have started looking for a heart shaped diamond and went to IDJ recently, and I saw one that I liked and put a (small) deposit on. Its bigger and more expensive than what I had in mind, but I loved the shape (kind of bigger lobes and very very heart shaped, if you know what I mean!). Anyway I have been dreaming about it, and I have to let it go or put more of a deposit on it to hold it now. I would really love opinions on this stone from those of you who know what you are doing, if you don't mind! I have a copy of the GIA certificate:
IMG_0825.jpgIMG_0826.jpgPlus, they sent a couple pictures:

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock
Oops my pictures won’t upload from my phone!

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, I just asked them, and I will try to post the pictures again later today.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks pretty nice from here :)

The darker stripe down the centre in that last pic might well just be obstruction from the camera / phone. It should go away if you move the camera further away if it is obstruction.

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock
Looks pretty nice from here :)

The darker stripe down the centre in that last pic might well just be obstruction from the camera / phone. It should go away if you move the camera further away if it is obstruction.

Thanks, @OoohShiny! I don't remember seeing that stripe in person, I think its probably what you said, obstruction from the camera. I'm hoping they will send me the ASET today so that will help the analysis a lot!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me, hearts shaped stones are so subjective. You have cut quality to consider but as you also noted the shape is equally important. Some like fat hearts, skinny hearts or something in between.

A buddy bought his girl a heart shaped stone and they searched for awhile finding the perfect shape.

Please post the ASET once available.

Reference chart attached.

Screenshot_20200115-065844_Chrome.jpg

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock
For me, hearts shaped stones are so subjective. You have cut quality to consider but as you also noted the shape is equally important. Some like fat hearts, skinny hearts or something in between.

A buddy bought his girl a heart shaped stone and they searched for awhile finding the perfect shape.

Thank you so much, @sledge!! I will post it as soon as I get it. I appreciate the help, so much!

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Drake has a big heart shaped ring and a necklace of all heart shaped diamonds. Cardi B has ring and band of all heart shapes as well. See posts in Celebrity Style forum posted by Rad Fan. That said I wonder if heart shape is going to replace oval in recent popularity.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Drake has a big heart shaped ring and a necklace of all heart shaped diamonds. Cardi B has ring and band of all heart shapes as well. See posts in Celebrity Style forum posted by Rad Fan. That said I wonder if heart shape is going to replace oval in recent popularity.

Whatever is popular today likely won't be popular tomorrow. Unless it's a round....they never go out of style, as they are a classic.

I'd buy a shape that speaks to you, rather it's round, oval, heart, etc. That way even if trends change, you always have a smile on your face when you look at the stone.

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
It's not easy finding a good heart shaped stone; took me ages to find mine! Like you said some are too fat, some too long etc.
One thing I noticed is by the top- I'm not sure if the lobes are uneven, or if that's just the diamond holder.
Would you mind sharing the cost of the stone?

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock

I saw those! So fun. just a tiny bit outside of my budget, lol. :kiss2:

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock
It's not easy finding a good heart shaped stone; took me ages to find mine! Like you said some are too fat, some too long etc.
One thing I noticed is by the top- I'm not sure if the lobes are uneven, or if that's just the diamond holder.

@Polabowla, they are asking $15,700. I was originally looking at smaller & less expensive diamonds, so I am very torn, because the shape of this one really calls to me.

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock

I see what you mean in the pictures, that it looks uneven. I did not notice that in person, I will have to go back and check it out again in the showroom. I wonder if they will let me take my own pictures while I am there? Also, they have not sent me the ASET I requested yet.

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Wow that's an amazing price!
Definitely look at it again & also try to make sure it's deep enough (I saw some very shallow stones on the underside- looked awful) and check the top face facets (if they're not placed right, the top will look wonky.)
I saw what was supposed to be an IF heart but the facets were so bad it looked like a huge crack across the face.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whatever is popular today likely won't be popular tomorrow. Unless it's a round....they never go out of style, as they are a classic.

I'd buy a shape that speaks to you, rather it's round, oval, heart, etc. That way even if trends change, you always have a smile on your face when you look at the stone.

So true! My ER is an oval bought in the late 1980s when Princess and Radiant cuts set with side trillions were all the rage. Rounds are indeed classic but did not look good on my finger.

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock
So true! My ER is an oval bought in the late 1980s when Princess and Radiant cuts set with side trillions were all the rage. Rounds are indeed classic but did not look good on my finger.

My ER is round (actually it’s not my ER, it’s my 50th birthday present from my hubby), but I have also always wanted a heart shape. I plan to wear this one as a pendent. I loved Lady Gaga’s heart shape, remember that one??

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock
In case anyone is wondering, I am still waiting for the ASET of the diamond. Apparently the machine needed an update.

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock

Hi @sledge ! I finally received the ASET pictures, but its confusing.

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock
@sledge , My apolgies, my reply was embedded in your last post. Trying again. Below are the pictures I received, but not sure if they are all ASETS??
katherine ideal 2.jpg katherine ideal 3.jpg katherine ideal 4.jpg katherine ideal1.jpg

Reactions: AV_

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock

I think you are right about the lobes being uneven, @Polabowla - it shows that way on the ASET I just posted as well.

Swirl68

Shiny_Rock
I think you are right about the lobes being uneven, @Polabowla - it shows that way on the ASET I just posted as well.

But how would it be possible to have uneven lobes and still get an excellent symmetry grade?

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock
But how would it be possible to have uneven lobes and still get an excellent symmetry grade?

I’m not sure. It seems strange.

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock
Bumping this thread to see if any of the experts would be willing to look at the ASETs posted above and give me your thoughts? Thank you so much!!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not an expert... :)

... but I think the ASETscope images look decent for a fancy shape. Lots of red and green (light return), not too much white (leakage) or blue (obstruction). This graphic uses an MRB rather than a fancy shape, but the principle is the same re: where light is gathered from.

ASET-Light-Setup1[1].jpg

You do want some obstruction so that the white and black areas play off against each other and create some visual interest, but I can't see anything that would produce that distinct line of darkness in one of your pictures, so I think it was just the phone being close to it :)

As for the leakage in the ASETscope and other images - yes, it is there, but don't forget that is only one angle and your hand will constantly be in motion, so it will likely reflect from other angles (which your original pictures suggest is the case).

The green and red goes all the way to the edge of the stone so that will mean it definitely looks its size! (rather than being dark round the edges and looking smaller)

How are you feeling about it? Is it still calling to you? :)

I'm not sure what IDJ's returns policies are, but perhaps a second visit could be worthwhile if you are not too far away!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
The stone looks bright and the ASSET agrees. I would not know what more to ask from a heart shaped diamond.

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock
Not an expert... :)

... but I think the ASETscope images look decent for a fancy shape. Lots of red and green (light return), not too much white (leakage) or blue (obstruction). This graphic uses an MRB rather than a fancy shape, but the principle is the same re: where light is gathered from.

ASET-Light-Setup1[1].jpg

You do want some obstruction so that the white and black areas play off against each other and create some visual interest, but I can't see anything that would produce that distinct line of darkness in one of your pictures, so I think it was just the phone being close to it :)

As for the leakage in the ASETscope and other images - yes, it is there, but don't forget that is only one angle and your hand will constantly be in motion, so it will likely reflect from other angles (which your original pictures suggest is the case).

The green and red goes all the way to the edge of the stone so that will mean it definitely looks its size! (rather than being dark round the edges and looking smaller)

How are you feeling about it? Is it still calling to you? :)

I'm not sure what IDJ's returns policies are, but perhaps a second visit could be worthwhile if you are not too far away!

I was thinking about dropping by to see it again this week, because it is definitely still calling me! I am in NYC so its just a question of finding some free time away from work and home... thanks so much fro your help!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results