shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on this garnet please.

lilysweet

Shiny_Rock
Hi all, I have been hoping to find a mahenge garnet. I am looking for something with the pink/peach tones, no purple. Can you let me know what you think of this stone please? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MNQVwvq9Df8 Thanks!

looks lovely but how can one tell without a price? Don't we always need a price?
I tried to find sunshine gems's website with prices or such, but there is only a Sri Lankan company, and the facebook page (always looking for EU-vendors)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cut is very nice. Don't know how well it'll hold its colour but it is extremely pale in the video.

fishfrenzy

Rough_Rock
normanintheskywithsapphires|1476442534|4086956 said:
looks lovely but how can one tell without a price? Don't we always need a price?
I tried to find sunshine gems's website with prices or such, but there is only a Sri Lankan company, and the facebook page (always looking for EU-vendors)

$235

DDOC

Rough_Rock
Trade
It looks pale to me, and in that cut may dull off a little once it gets a little dirty.
I liked the 1.85 ct vid that followed it, from the same guy I think.

lilysweet

Shiny_Rock
Thanks all for the feedback. I am worried that it is light. I have no experience with step cuts and was wondering about the area in the center, if because the color is light will that just disappear in some lighting. The 1.85 looked too pink initially and is now sold :(( Any other suggestions for where I might look for a mahenge?

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
In the color range you are looking, I'd suggest asking for photos in different lighting envs. The pinker (under tungsten or daylight) mahenge garnets seem to shift toward salmon/peach under CFL, where as those that are more salmon/peachy in daylight seem to stay that way under fleuresencts.

I agree that it does look fairly pale (which might be what you are aiming for?)

Here's a thread with another JD mahenge garnet, for reference:
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...-mahenge-garnet-in-lad-cvb-rendezvous.225301/

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Any other suggestions for where I might look for a mahenge?
Try emailing either Earth Treasury or Precison Gem, or possibly Top-Notch, to see what rough they might have in the color range and be willing to cut. I've seen all three of them posting pics of a number of these. Though, the price might be higher.

You could also ask JD about his rough supply.

I think I saw that Dana had one posted recently but check on the color:
https://www.mastercutgems.com/Produ...nge_Natural_Garnet_1_44_ct-Gem.php?FromPage=1

Gemfix also usually has a few, but again, pricier:
http://gemfix.com/gem-category/garnet/garnet-malaia

lilysweet

Shiny_Rock
Chroma, those are great suggestions. I will take a look at them. Thanks! :appl:

new-beginning

Shiny_Rock
Sunshine Gems is Daniel Davies (presumably Jeff Davies son?) and he has a Facebook page

lilysweet

Shiny_Rock
I saw that too! What do you think of the stone? I feel like sometimes the difference between the pics and real life the stone is even lighter and this is on the light side. Would that also be referred to as less saturated? I like the peach component but not sure it has enough pink and it is a lot more expensive than Jeff's. Is it that much better?

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
From the pics people have shared here, I suspect Gene's stone isnt going to show any pink. If you want some pink, it might not be the best candidate. It seems like the salmon/peachy stones are just that.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results