shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on this Blue Sri Lanka Sapphire?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me it all comes down to how reputable that gem lab is.
I've never heard of Lotus, and the marketing verbage they print on their report makes me suspicious.

For me to buy a colored gem the report has to be from GIA or AGS.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Lotus lab is ok. But the stone doesn’t seem to be silky enough to be a true cornflower.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lotus Gemology was founded by Richard W Hughes who wrote THE book on Rubies and Sapphires. He is a coloured gem guru.
A Lotus report is extremely well regarded.
as for the sapphire, it is lovely.
my only quibble would be its face up size, its got quite the underneath and that’s carat weight you can’t see and enjoy.

Marcus Aurelius

Rough_Rock
Lotus lab is ok. But the stone doesn’t seem to be silky enough to be a true cornflower.

It seems to be a clear sapphire with a nice medium tone. Seems cornflower to me. Perhaps you are thinking more of a prototypical Burmese sapphire here?

Marcus Aurelius

Rough_Rock
Lotus Gemology was founded by Richard W Hughes who wrote THE book on Rubies and Sapphires. He is a coloured gem guru.
A Lotus report is extremely well regarded.
as for the sapphire, it is lovely.
my only quibble would be its face up size, its got quite the underneath and that’s carat weight you can’t see and enjoy.

Exactly re: Lotus. Lotus may actually be better than GIa for sapphires and rubies gemstones.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGL? GRS? Others?

Opps, yes AGL not AGS.
When it comes to D-Z diamonds it's AGS and GIA for me.

Being in USA I rarely encounter GRS, though I understand they are fully reputable too.

Frankly, the only Colored Stones I've ever bought have been FCDs graded by GIA, so I'm not a seasoned veteran colored gem collector.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks all for the info on Lotus Lab. :))

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
I think that's a lot of money for a lumpy stone. I have bought lumpy stones, but they were cheap and big.

1609728008708.png

What are you trying to make? Have you considered starting with some inexpensive sapphires to decide what your color preferences are?

Marcus Aurelius

Rough_Rock
Honestly, am trying to find a nice sapphire moderately over 1ct for collection purposes. But don’t necessarily want to pay over odds (have access to IGS gem price guide)

Last edited:

Marcus Aurelius

Rough_Rock
As for color, something along the lines of the stone you referenced will be ideal. FWIW I really appreciate the input from folks here.

Marcus Aurelius

Rough_Rock
My first reaction is overpriced?

Agree, this price would need to have some give. But as was pointed out above, the cutting isn't that great. Have to keep looking. Very difficult to source the right sapphire.

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
Since it's for your collection, and you'll presumably be looking at the gem in a box or display case, I would suggest trying to get one that is beautifully cut since it won't have a setting or sidestones distract from any cut issues.

When I began looking at sapphires, looked for Sri Lankan IG vendor recommendations, and the two that I found from threads here were ceylonsapphiregems and leenagemslk. Leenagemslk specializes in inexpensive (usually $300 - $1k) and smaller (1-2 ct) stones and Ceylonsapphiregems carries larger, grander, and more expensive stones. Worth a look.

Marcus Aurelius

Rough_Rock
Thanks
Since it's for your collection, and you'll presumably be looking at the gem in a box or display case, I would suggest trying to get one that is beautifully cut since it won't have a setting or sidestones distract from any cut issues.

When I began looking at sapphires, looked for Sri Lankan IG vendor recommendations, and the two that I found from threads here were ceylonsapphiregems and leenagemslk. Leenagemslk specializes in inexpensive (usually $300 - $1k) and smaller (1-2 ct) stones and Ceylonsapphiregems carries larger, grander, and more expensive stones. Worth a look.

Thanks! I am realizing I am going to have to take a risk and go off the beaten path. I am finding that the vast majority of gems on offers are either suspect or have some pretty major flaws. In addition, domestic (US) dealers tend to be priced at the high end of retail overwhelmingly. Definitely open to sourcing from a source country wholesaler or similar.

Marcus Aurelius

Rough_Rock

For Ceylonsapphiregems, what is his typical asking price per carat for a nice cornflower blue?

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
For Ceylonsapphiregems, what is his typical asking price per carat for a nice cornflower blue?

I don't know because I'm not looking for one, but he was very responsive for the stones I did ask about, so try asking?

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Regarding Lotus Lab, as Bron said, Richard, Wimon and Billie Hughes wrote THE books on corundum. I consider their lab one of the best out there for Sapphires, Rubies, and Spinels, particularly when it comes to their color grading. They're one of the few labs that won't call EVERY piece of pink corundum with a smidgen of orange and/or brown modifier "Padparadscha" (looking at you GRS and GIA).

I bought an unheated yellow sapphire from ClassicCeylon a few years ago. Seenu is a trustworthy man and his pictures and videos accurately represent what the stone looks like IRL (at least, this was my experience). I believe his family operates a few mines in Sri Lanka.

From the photos and video, the first 2.17ct you posted looks like a nice prototypical example of a Sri Lankan cornflower blue. I think it would be as beautiful cornflower blue that would likely hold its color in as variety of lighting situations, but it's unlikely that it would be "glowy" like the best of Burmese cornflowers. Then again, it's a fraction of the cost of a Burmese cornflower. Depends on what you're looking for and what you're willing to pay.

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
Regarding Lotus Lab, as Bron said, Richard, Wimon and Billie Hughes wrote THE books on corundum. I consider their lab one of the best out there for Sapphires, Rubies, and Spinels, particularly when it comes to their color grading. They're one of the few labs that won't call EVERY piece of pink corundum with a smidgen of orange and/or brown modifier "Padparadscha" (looking at you GRS and GIA).

I bought an unheated yellow sapphire from ClassicCeylon a few years ago. Seenu is a trustworthy man and his pictures and videos accurately represent what the stone looks like IRL (at least, this was my experience). I believe his family operates a few mines in Sri Lanka.

Great to know thank you for sharing your experience!

Marcus Aurelius

Rough_Rock
Thanks folks. Two more sapphires I would like to get opinions on.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1st stone: shallow pancake with huge window

2nd stone; cut is ok but I'm not sure if I'm seeing inclusions. Perhaps the ring wasn't cleaned well? What is the return policy like?

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Have you checked gemfix.com? They have a variety of blue sapphires around the “cornflower“ range but they don’t normally put those labels on them. Some people prefer silky with a little rutile and some people prefer clear water. Or save up and get both, LOL!

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock
1st stone: very pretty colour but there's spottiness and I can't tell what it is? It might be facet reflections

2nd stone: it looks suuuuuuper windowed to me, which would explain why it is half the price of the first. I wouldn't pick this.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't believe the ad for the first stone/ring (now sold) -- that does not look like an original Art Deco piece nor does the fresh-looking stamp on the inside. Therefore I do not believe the rest of that ad.

EDIT: Remarkable amount of all-original Art Deco jewelry coming out of Bangkok from this vendor :cool2: .

Last edited:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me it all comes down to how reputable that gem lab is.
I've never heard of Lotus, and the marketing verbage they print on their report makes me suspicious.

For me to buy a colored gem the report has to be from GIA or AGS.

My only issue with Lotus is that I cannot find if they have access to a mass spectrometer, which is the benchmark for some advanced testing.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results