shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on this antique cushion?

Redwoods-hiker-girl

Brilliant_Rock
I'm thinking up upgrading a .55 unset cushion (K, VVS1, no fluor) from James Allen to this stone, which I have on hold. I have the GIA certificate, and it shows a sprinkling of twinning wisps and a small indented natural (which I can see in the image, right along the girdle). What do you all think?

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Personally, I do not love it. I see some dead areas around 6 o clock too.

Do you want an antique stone or a modern cushion with well defined facets?

Redwoods-hiker-girl

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for your responses, @elizat and @OcnGypZ! Much appreciated. Your opinions confirmed what I was worried about. I don't trust my own judgment when it comes to cushions that I can't see in person (unless, of course, they're from August Vintage).

I want an antique stone, ideally -- and one day I would dearly love to have an AV Cushion. In fact, I'll take a look at those now and keep my fingers crossed....

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Do you have to stay with James Allen? Do you have a budget?

Redwoods-hiker-girl

Brilliant_Rock
Do you have to stay with James Allen? Do you have a budget?

Oh, I don't have to stay with JA at all; I was just poking around the site and happened to come across that cushion, which looked promising. I have two smaller diamonds from JA that I could use toward an upgrade; that's the main factor that led me down the JA path.

My budget is slim by PS standards, but I'd be comfortable with around $3500. I love warmer stones, and I'm a huge fan of blue fluorescence. Both of those work in my favor in terms of the smaller budget. 8)

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally like it.
It is unfair to compare this stone to AVC, which often has L/W ratio of 1.0~1.1. This particular stone has L/W ratio of 1.14.
You cannot really make a fair comparison between an oval brilliant and a modern round brilliant. Similarly, an elongated cushion is very different from a squarish cushion.

I like the facet patterns, high and big crown, and large facets. Yes, there are leakages, but that's expected from an elongated cushion.

Redwoods-hiker-girl

Brilliant_Rock
I personally like it.
It is unfair to compare this stone to AVC, which often has L/W ratio of 1.0~1.1. This particular stone has L/W ratio of 1.14.
You cannot really make a fair comparison between an oval brilliant and a modern round brilliant. Similarly, an elongated cushion is very different from a squarish cushion.

I like the facet patterns, high and big crown, and large facets. Yes, there are leakages, but that's expected from an elongated cushion.

I like the crown and the facets, too, @flyingpig.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
This could be interesting - or really bad. I can't tell. There is one bad photo.

I kind of like this one, but would want more photos. It's smaller facing up though.

Redwoods-hiker-girl

Brilliant_Rock
This could be interesting - or really bad. I can't tell. There is one bad photo.

I kind of like this one, but would want more photos. It's smaller facing up though.

Yeah, that photo of the first one isn't great, is it? Worth checking into, though. And the second one has great potential, but, yes, I want more photos! Thanks, @elizat.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't think you should dismiss the first JA stone. That kind of imagery is not very helpful for assessing this kind of diamond. I bet a lot of the most beloved antique cushions on PS would look crappy at that angle and in that lighting! Antique cushions are among the rarest of old cuts. So they are very hard to find. I think the JA stone is worth seeing in person. They have free returns I believe.

Redwoods-hiker-girl

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think you should dismiss the first JA stone. That kind of imagery is not very helpful for assessing this kind of diamond. I bet a lot of the most beloved antique cushions on PS would look crappy at that angle and in that lighting! Antique cushions are among the rarest of old cuts. So they are very hard to find. I think the JA stone is worth seeing in person. They have free returns I believe.

Thanks, @dreamer_dachsie -- and, yes, I'll see what JA says. They do have free returns; I'm not sure how that would work with the trade-in diamond, but I won't lose a thing by asking.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results