shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on these two diamonds

mission1

Shiny_Rock
I'm still contemplating a new diamond, and would be grateful for any comments on these two stones. Priced similarly, both I color (if I dont like it I'll return it).

Am I right in thinking that the SI1 is better proportioned overall? I'm basing this on a slightly lower overall depth (61.7% vs 62.4%), and also the 40.6 PA being associated with a 43% depth (instead of 42.5%).

The VS2 on GIA facetware comes out with a 15.8% crown depth, and the SI1 with 15.1%.

The SI1 has been confirmed as eye clean. Which would you choose?

35 40-6.png thurs 35.png

Last edited:

mission1

Shiny_Rock
First is the 1.09 SI1, second is the 1.03 VS2.

I-SI1.png I-VS2.png

mission1

Shiny_Rock
I've also been looking more favourably on diamonds that have only been listed for a week or two (SI1) rather than 6 months (VS2) - assuming that diamonds with an older dated GIA have generally been rejected by others for longer.....not sure if this is a logical line of thought or not?!

@sledge as you always provide such excellent insight!

Last edited:

mission1

Shiny_Rock
Just checked and they're both similar on HCA @ 0.9. The 1.09 faces up 'bigger" and the 1.03 faces up average. With my newbie level of expertise I still don't know which is best, or if I'm really splitting hairs and the performance would be very similar!

diamonuk

Rough_Rock
VS1 a safer bet maybe, with no clouds? Will leave it to the experts to advise on the proportions!

mission1

Shiny_Rock
@Karl_K you always seem to be one of the resident cut detail experts! When you have time to cast your eye over the certs and images, do you think there’d be much difference between these stones?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Karl_K you always seem to be one of the resident cut detail experts! When you have time to cast your eye over the certs and images, do you think there’d be much difference between these stones?

They are pretty close.
Do have an is or aset images?

mission1

Shiny_Rock
Thanks @Karl_K - no, unfortunately no IS or aset.

I didnt know whether a 43% depth with 40.6% PA might mean it was closer to 40.5%, and whether the higher crown depth and greater overall depth were worse. If not, then perhaps VS2 is a safer bet than the marginally larger SI1.

The VS2 looks sort of 'clearer' in the table and less tinted, but it could just be differences in the photo.

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
I prefer the one with 57 % table, but clarity has to been checked.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Buy both and put them in earrings?
Check the clouds during return period if it can not be viewed by the vendor for screening.

mission1

Shiny_Rock
Ok, thanks. Nice idea - it's for a ring though.

I'm probably struggling because they're so similar. They're only a few $ apart too.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The SI1 worries me with clouds as grade setting inclusion and the additional clouds not shown note. It may not represent a problem, but am I correct to assume this stone is coming from virtual inventory where you don't have any experienced eyes vetting for those sorts of things. Do your homework.

Part of the additional depth in the VS2 stone is created because of the smaller 55 table with the same crown angle, hence the increased 15.5% crown height.

Also, the VS2 stone looks a little more symmetrical to me. See sketch below.

VS2 on the left w/ blue lines. SI1 on the right w/ red lines.

Notice the arrows at 5 and 6 o'clock? Also, maybe some obstruction in there.

Are you still working with IDJ? If so, ask them for an ASET and hearts image. Also, a detailed SARIN report.

I-VS2.png

InkedI-VS2_LI.jpg

mission1

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Sledge. I was wavering towards the SI1, but now might be wavering back again to VS2! No, these aren’t IDJ stones.

Last edited:

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock
Just read this....made me smile. I think @sledge thought it was my question. I am working with idj:)

mission1

Shiny_Rock
Is the feather being close to the girdle on the VS2 ok, given it's GIA checked? Screenshot 2020-01-03 at 21.47.19.png

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
I don't think the feather is a problem in a VS2, it doesn't touch the girdle and it is only mentioned on the crown.

mission1

Shiny_Rock
Thanks @Stephan. Was it the table or overall proportions of the SI1 that you preferred?

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
The picture did catch my eye. But I prefer the VS2 clarity.

mission1

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the feedback. They’d actually dropped the price of the 1.09 SI1, so it was around $100 less than the 1.03 VS2. Given the PS feedback on here and the generally slight differences, I’ve gone for the VS2 - mainly so that there’s less risk of clouds having an effect.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the VS2, not only for better clarity but I prefer the smaller 55 table. Smaller tables equals larger upper girdle facets, which is where rainbow light is produced. So assuming neither stone has any problems, the smaller tabled stone should have a smidge more fire.

Since both stones are GIA (averaged & rounded values) and have that 35/40.6 combo you are wise to buy a $35 handheld ASET scope and check to ensure there is no leakage. With both stones, there will be a possibility one or more of the actual pavilion values drop below 40.5. If that happens, there may be some leakage.

Just part of the territory of buying a 35/40.6 combo. If you discover some leakage that is bothersome, then simply return and start over.

FYI, you may also consider buying a hearts & arrow scope. While you can get an arrows view (top of stone) with the stone mounted, the hearts view (bottom of the stone) has to be taken when loose. It will tell you more about the symmetry of the stone. Whereas, the ASET will tell you more about the light performance.

For fun, I visited WF's site to try to find a comparison of a 57 and 55 table stone with 35/40.6 combo and similar depths. It was tough. They aren't exactly your proportions but might be representative of the differences. Granted, these stones are premium & expert selects, so they aren't WF's top of the line ACA H&A stones, but they are very near misses. Not many stones even meet this level of precision, but who knows, maybe you got lucky. The scopes will help you determine how your stone compares with these.

58 table, 61.6 depth, 35 crown, 40.6 pavilion & 75 LGF

54.8 table, 62.0 depth, 35 crown, 40.7 pavilion & 76 LGF

mission1

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Sledge. I've gone for the 1.03/VS2/I 40.6/35 as a potential replacement for a recently purchased 0.9/SI1/G 40.6/34, as I'm still within a return period and want to see both side by side. The 0.9ct is slightly spready, so the size isnt going to be noticeably different (approx 6.45 vs 6.27)....so it probably comes down to how color sensitive I/we are....I'll let you know! The larger diamond is around $800 more.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
. With both stones, there will be a possibility one or more of the actual pavilion values drop below 40.5. If that happens, there may be some leakage.
Not picking on you @sledge but that is a common misconception.
Over shallow pavilion mains cause a greater than usual reaction to obstruction not leakage.(they will start leaking but at a very exttemely shallow angle well below a possible 40.6 average)
There is a very steep slope under 40.5 around ~40.45 that brings a large increase in reaction to obstruction.
Viewing the diamond at full arm length and seeing over dark arrows is the check for it. (shallow mains will be darker)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results