shape
carat
color
clarity

opinions on sidestones for asscher

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sera

Ideal_Rock
Hi! I''ve been lurking here a few days now and have read SO many posts! I have been reading posts and viewing rings on WF and GOG so much I have a headache! I really am glad I found a forum with so much good advice on the specs and asthetics of diamonds/rings! Y''all rock!
2.gif

My Fi and I have started looking for my ring- I''m the one picking it out because he knows less than I do about picking a good diamond and I''m kinda picky
40.gif
Anyway... I am feeling a bit overwhelmed with all the choices. I like a wide variety of styles and can''t very well have them ALL in one ring! I cannot narrow my search down to a few rings because there are some aspects I like of a setting but one or two things that I don''t like. *sigh* I just can''t decide.
7.gif
I keep going back and forth on so many issues. I want something different and have considered a custom design but still need to rule out some things so I don''t overkill my ring or choose something that sounded good in my mind but looks crappy on my finger. So, I thought I would pose a first question (or two or three) now to get me on the path of making a decision... help me help me!
32.gif
I do know a lot comes down to personal preference and I should get would I like, but perhaps all of your experience has found certain design elements detract from or enhance an Asscher.

What makes for good sidestones with an Asscher (step cuts or not)?
What about a pave or RB band?
Do colored stones alongside an Asscher tend to be too much?

In one of the posts here (I can''t remember which one) that the baguettes would look better as sidestones than pave... that the pave may detract from the Asscher. Is that the majority opinion here? I had been thinking of half moons as sidestones because I do love the type of sparkle a RB gives, but think the half moons being flush against the Asscher might look better. I thought the different type of sparkle from the half moons might make for a nice contrast with the type of sparkle an Asscher gives... but maybe I am wrong and a step cut would enhance the Asscher better.
33.gif
Sorry this was so long and rambling... I''m going to bed now... past my bedtime... I gotta go dream of rings
14.gif
Maybe it would help if I posted a couple of the rings that have the elements I do like? IDK... I gotta go to bed. Thanks for any info you can share with me.

BTW... I must say... you all have some STUNNING rings!
30.gif

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Hi sera,

I too have an asscher, and though mine is a solitaire, we''re probably goign to turn it into a 3-stone for our 3rd anniversary, so I have given this question quite a bit of thought ;-)

I like the idea of the half-moon sidestones, but when seeing it in person, I thought they looked better with a cushion center stone.

Regarding brilliant-cut sidestones, the type that will probably natch the best would be square radiants - some people don''t like the look of brilliant next to step cuts, but to each his own :)

I also like asscher sidestones, bullets, traps, or baguettes. Below are some pics to give you an idea ...

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
3 stone asscher

ash3j.jpg

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Asscger with baguettes

ashbag3.jpg

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
asscher with bullets

ashbulj.jpg

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I personally like more of the modern, sleek line look, but there are many beautiful asschers here on PS with micropave, with both haloes or not, that you can view if you prefer the micropave look. Either way, I can''t wait to see your ring once it''s done - good luck!

widget

Ideal_Rock
style="WIDTH: 98.43%; HEIGHT: 76px">Author: vespergirl

there are many beautiful asschers here on PS with micropave, with both haloes or not,
I agree...but for any threestone mounting, I strongly feel it''s best to use stepcuts as sidestones for an asscher center....bags, traps, bullets, whatever. But step cut, not brilliant.

For a truly classic look, I think simple baguette sides can''t be beaten.
30.gif

widget

happilyeverafter

Shiny_Rock
I absolutely love step cut traps with asscher stones - such a beautiful combination! Before I decided on a WF RB I was completely sold on the trap/asscher combo. My inspiration was this beauty
30.gif

asscher_trap.jpg

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Widget and Happilyever after about step cuts being the best side stones for an Asscher when the side stones are next to the center stone. It's different if you're getting a cathedral type setting where the Asscher sits by itself and is high above the rest of the stones - in that situation round brilliants look nice. (I just picked a cathedral setting for my Royal Asscher. There are 3 rows of round brilliants on each side of the shank. The RA sits fairly high above the shank. It's reminiscent of the 1920's.)

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a pic I found with sapphire sidestones:

ashsaphj.jpg

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
And I love this 5 stone with side traps and baguettes. You should check out dimendscaasi.com for a good selection of asscher engagement ring and wedding band styles. I got several of these pictures from there. Good luck!

ashlotsj.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Vespergirl,
I really like the last one. I like how the sidestones really gently taper away from the center asscher (in a flowy fashion) and the ribbon prongs highlight the cut corners.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I know, that''s my dream ring :) I think I would have it made with side asschers & straight baguettes, though, instead of traps & tapered baguettes ... I can''t wait until I can redo the setting! :)

E B

Ideal_Rock
The asscher with traps is AMAZING.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
I would tend to agree that step cuts make the better side companions for an asscher center stone. But having said that, I have to say that for me, if you have a fabulous asscher or EC center, I think they should stand alone, uninterrupted in their stillness. Sides take away from a center in some cases and I think brilliant cuts or halos around a truly stunning EC or asscher is a shame. Just detracts from the qualities that I love in those cuts. But that''s just my personal opinion!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I think traps really accent asschers!

sera

Ideal_Rock
All nice rings! Thanks for the feedback; it does help! I do love the traps/asscher combo the best... I first saw a ring like that at Disneyland of all places (they have an estate jewelry store there). It was gorgeous! Unfortunately, wayyyy out of our budget. I like the baguettes and the baguette/traps as well.

I also like the idea of the asscher being higher up than the other stones (if I didn''t go with step cut side stones).

I just have got to have some curves in there somewhere; otherwise, there are too many straight edges for me. Would it be too much going on with the trap sides and a pave band (the pave being just big enough to sparkle but not too big as to compete with the step cuts)?

Kind of along these lines:
http://www.billbarnes.com/product.asp?product=13532

http://www.billbarnes.com/product.asp?product=3323

Or without sidestones, a rounded pave band:
http://www.kranichs.com/product.php?pid=758

I like a few of the Simon G and Tacori rings... generally would having a custom ring be significantly more or less than having the designer name attached to the ring? I don''t care about the name; I am more concerned with the workmanship.

(now to try and get my picture to the butterfly i chose... the devil is so not me {most of the time})

fullojoy

Rough_Rock
The trap sizes, with a pave band will be beautiful. I wish I could figure out how to post pictures...I just received my ring made by quest jewelers. It has a (square) radiant center, flanked by trapezoids. The band is 3 sized microvpave...it''s just beautiful...good luck

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
A pave setting can also be beautiful with an asscher. My friend has this exact setting, except her center stone is a 2 ct asscher, with the princess sidestones & princesses channel-set in the band - I got this from the Tacori website

HT2264_main.jpg

sera

Ideal_Rock
In continuing to obsess... I am thinking that the baguettes would be better for our budget. Being smaller, they wouldn''t overpower an Asscher on the smaller side and I could keep the band relatively think like I prefer.

Now, this is different, but perhaps using two smaller Asschers as sidestones would keep the price down and I could drop the clarity on a center stone if I went with a RB or other square-ish cut? Any thoughts on Asschers as sidestones rather than with sidestones? Would they still look "better" next to another step cut if they are on the side rather than the center?

95165.JPG

sera

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/29/2007 11:26:50 AM
Author: vespergirl
A pave setting can also be beautiful with an asscher. My friend has this exact setting, except her center stone is a 2 ct asscher, with the princess sidestones & princesses channel-set in the band - I got this from the Tacori website
Ha.. finally noticed the "quote" button! Was wondering why my replies weren't quoting. I love that ring. I tried a Tacori on that had the knife edge, side scalloping, and 2 graduated EC's on the side... it was about $2000. I just love the Tacori's... I like the side detail. The other I tried on was very similar to the one in the pic except the sides were RB. Lovely rings.

Jenn5504

Brilliant_Rock
I tend to agree with step cuts making better sidestones for asshers. But that last setting, with the asshers as side stones to that RB was pretty amazing! I''ve sure never seen that combo and it is beautiful. I think an assher on a pave band would be pretty, too. I don''t think pave looks bad with anything.
18.gif
I LOVE vespergirl''s assher solitaire with that DREAMY assher band!!!! Wow, your choices are hard but all beatutiful.
2.gif

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the idea of a 3 stone asscher or trapezoid sidestones or baguettes.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results