shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on Royal Blue Sapphire

sapphireringseeker

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

I am in the market for a blue oval sapphire for an engagement ring for my soon-to-be fiancée. I have been looking at sapphires in the $10k-$15k range, and was looking for something that is in the medium blue/royal blue color (although I understand that the color for sapphires can be fairly subjective). I'm thinking that a stone somewhere in the 3-4 carat range would be ideal.

This weekend, I stumbled upon a sapphire on Earth's Treasury that I felt potentially fit the bill. I'm attaching the photograph from the website as well as screen captures from the videos that Jeff Hapeman sent over to me on request (I'm not sure how to attach the full videos on here).

SNY5641-1200-BW.jpg

Screenshot 2023-02-20 161334.png

Screenshot 2023-02-20 165543.png

Screenshot 2023-02-20 161537.png

Screenshot 2023-02-20 161636.png

Specifications (from the Earth's Treasury website)

ColorBlue, Blue, Deep, Blue, Royal
ClarityNearly Flawless
Gemstone OriginMadagascar
AGTA Enhancement CodeH = Heating
Gem Carat Weight3.27
Length (mm)9.9
Width (mm)7.7
Gemstone ShapeOval
Gemstone DesignUnnamed
Gemstone ArtistDerek Katzenbach

The price quoted for the sapphire on the website is close to $13,000. Essentially I am wondering if that is a fair price for this sapphire based on the attached pictures and specifications. I see that the sapphire has been heated--I'm not really bothered by the fact that it has been heated, but I'm wondering if the price is too high for a heated stone. I'm also a bit concerned that the stone may be potentially too dark, particularly in the 4th/5th indoor/lower light photos.

There is no information on the Earth Treasury about a GIA or other lab report, but I would request this before making a decision one way or the other.

I'm curious to hear everyone's thoughts on this sapphire. Thanks so much for your help!

Attachments

• 1676930030477.png
    1676930030477.png
    730.1 KB · Views: 16
Hello and welcome to the forum! When I saw the first glamour shot of the stone, I thought it must be super enhanced. But clearly in looking at the more candid shots, this is simply a beautifully saturated stone. I don't think the color could be much better for a royal blue. And I love the concave cut. As you said, you should definitely have it certified just to be safe. But I think the $13,000 is fair. It never hurts, though, to try to negotiate a better price. ;-) Good luck!!

ETA: Be sure you also acquaint yourself with the seller's return/refund policy. I am familiar with them, but don't know their policy offhand.

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not sure how to attach the full videos on here

Easiest way is to upload to imgur and then use the "insert media" option in the text editor here.

I'm also a bit concerned that the stone may be potentially too dark, particularly in the 4th/5th indoor/lower light photos.

I'd say that this concern is valid. It's an expected effect with this colour, that's the tradeoff. If you browse through this forum you'll discover most people prefer lighter toned sapphires precisely because of that.

I happen to have a stone of similar colour. This is what it looks like in sunlight, in optimal conditions:

17d0f0cc-009a-49f8-9dc9-836014b09fe4-jpeg.907246

Aaaand this is what it looks like now - late in the evening, in the bedroom with soft, warm light:

4BCF407A-DEB2-4193-9DCC-0930339CD042.jpeg

The sapphire you're eyeing appears to be precision cut which will definitely affect performance. Mine is native cut and it shows. But colour-wise this is the trade off. You get this amazing eye-popping blue during the day and a near-black blob the moment you lose the light.

The price may be fair for the US, I don't know. What I paid for my sapphire (2.11ct, heated) nearly two years ago was 1000 euro. Price per carat goes up with size and precision cutting, but does it go all the way up to 13k? That I don't know. Besides, gem prices have also inflated recently alongside everything else.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If someone told me they were looking at /for a royal blue sapphire - I wouldn’t think this stone would be too dark.

The concave cut can be polarizing - hopefully your fiancé to be is involved in the choice?

I think it’s a lovely stone for a deep navy oval boutique cut sapphire.

Price? I think it’s typical and in line for what type of vendor it is. Once you start going into the wild world of Eastern instagram sellers - those who have sailed those waters will advise differently.

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Hello all,

I am in the market for a blue oval sapphire for an engagement ring for my soon-to-be fiancée. I have been looking at sapphires in the $10k-$15k range, and was looking for something that is in the medium blue/royal blue color (although I understand that the color for sapphires can be fairly subjective). I'm thinking that a stone somewhere in the 3-4 carat range would be ideal.

This weekend, I stumbled upon a sapphire on Earth's Treasury that I felt potentially fit the bill. I'm attaching the photograph from the website as well as screen captures from the videos that Jeff Hapeman sent over to me on request (I'm not sure how to attach the full videos on here).

SNY5641-1200-BW.jpg

Screenshot 2023-02-20 161334.png

Screenshot 2023-02-20 165543.png

Screenshot 2023-02-20 161537.png

Screenshot 2023-02-20 161636.png

Specifications (from the Earth's Treasury website)

ColorBlue, Blue, Deep, Blue, Royal
ClarityNearly Flawless
Gemstone OriginMadagascar
AGTA Enhancement CodeH = Heating
Gem Carat Weight3.27
Length (mm)9.9
Width (mm)7.7
Gemstone ShapeOval
Gemstone DesignUnnamed
Gemstone ArtistDerek Katzenbach

The price quoted for the sapphire on the website is close to $13,000. Essentially I am wondering if that is a fair price for this sapphire based on the attached pictures and specifications. I see that the sapphire has been heated--I'm not really bothered by the fact that it has been heated, but I'm wondering if the price is too high for a heated stone. I'm also a bit concerned that the stone may be potentially too dark, particularly in the 4th/5th indoor/lower light photos.

There is no information on the Earth Treasury about a GIA or other lab report, but I would request this before making a decision one way or the other.

I'm curious to hear everyone's thoughts on this sapphire. Thanks so much for your help!

Well if you’re looking for perfection I think you’ve found the right stone. I absolutely love this vendor and find his photos to be very accurate. He has fantastic customer service and a great return policy. I have purchased from Jeff before and would not hesitate to purchase from him again. I find his prices to be fair. I think it’s appropriate retail for a precision cut stone of this size and color. I really think this is a special stone. I wouldn’t hesitate to pull the trigger.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Based on the posted images, I agree that the posted sapphire would more accurately be described as dark blue or deep blue -- not medium or royal blue -- and so it may well be too dark for you in certain lighting conditions.

The $12.9K price seems high to me -- GemFix doesn't have a straight comparable blue sapphire in this color/shape/carat weight, but its 3 carat blue sapphires are below $10K -- for example, this 3.15ct heated medium royal blue radiant blue sapphire is $8,995 and comes with a GIA report: https://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-blue-11-1353

All that said, if the Earth's Treasure sapphire pleases you, have it shipped to you loose so you can check it out in person, in your home and various lighting conditions -- the 10-day return policy should allow you to decide if it is too dark or whatever.

Personally, although I love the look of concave faceting in photos and videos, in person, on my own finger, a concave gemstone comes off as flat and less interesting to my eyes. YMMV.

Have fun with your search -- you have a healthy budget particularly if you're okay with heat treatment so should be able to find a blue sapphire that knocks your socks off -- good luck!

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
I would make sure your partner likes concave cuts. I personally don't like them at all. The color is good but the price is on the high side, especially when you factor in the nontraditional cut.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
iPhones and the like love blue -- and will make blue stones pop like crazy. (I could go on and on about how unrepresentative phone photos can be of the real world.) You will need a good return policy. You will want to see it under a big overcast sky -- like a giant softbox.

I am not a fan of the fantasy cutting -- not sure it's truly "concave" but more like radiating grooves on the pavilion to create some extra light return and visual interest. It's a bit of a gimmick and common in lesser-value stones like quartz where weight preservation is not paramount. I can't recall seeing a fine corundum faceted that way. It makes me wonder if someone perceived the material as being a tad too dark (but I could just be making that up). That said, most of us are pretty traditional in liking classic cuts in vivid hues. The actual tone is a little less critical -- there are beauties that are medium-light, medium, and medium-dark but we generally avoid anything more extreme than that unless you have a very specific look in mind.

As you know, tone is subjective and, as you wisely pointed out, "royal blue" is all over the map even across reputable reports. Even beyond that, some vendors apply this descriptor very liberally whereas others are more conservative and reserve it for stones that have been graded as such by a top lab.

There's no denying the photos you posted are pretty!

EDIT: This color description reminds me of Love is Blue by Marty Robbins and many others. I have not thought of this song for many decades so thanks for that.

Screen Shot 2023-02-20 at 9.44.01 PM.png

Last edited:

sapphireringseeker

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for the valuable input, this is all extremely helpful! Earth's Treasury does offer a 10-business day free return policy, so I am leaning towards seeing the stone in person first to get a sense as to what it actually looks like in real life. I'll keep everyone posted on what I ultimately decide what to do.

I'm also attaching an Imgur link to the videos that Jeff sent me below in case anyone wanted to take a look:

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Hi. I happen to like a concave cut and just bought my first one. I really liked the first photo you sent. Love the color, but when I saw the video I only see the concave cuts as a distraction and I see dark areas in the 1-2 o'clock and 5 o'clock position. But, I'm not an expert here, I just love looking and reading all the stories and answers. If this doesn't work out, I'm sure people here can recommend others places to look at or other vendors to make inquiries with.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Please check out the Gemfix sapphire, That is a beauty.

Annette

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
The concave cut can be polarizing - hopefully your fiancé to be is involved in the choice?

I would make sure your partner likes concave cuts. I personally don't like them at all. The color is good but the price is on the high side, especially when you factor in the nontraditional cut.

I agree with these comments. Many people love concave cuts, but if someone presented me with one--especially one that cost $13,000--I would be sick with disappointment. I hope your partner has seen concave cuts and wants to wear one.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results