shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on replacement e-ring

bruin224

Rough_Rock
Hi all, I lost my engagement ring of 12 years several weeks ago. Thankfully it was insured so I'm choosing a replacement. Husband purchased the original online from Union Diamond (no longer in business). It was a 60/60 but had favorable pavilion and crown angles- I loved it (pic below). GIA report: https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=2105794295. The HCA grades it as 'bigger' and I did feel like it looked big for its weight which was nice.
original ering.jpg

I'm looking to replace with a super ideal from WF but would like to go up slightly in size, paying the difference. I wouldn't mind doing another 60/60 but if my search I only came up with one that may have favorable angles but I would need to request photos and videos (I think it is listed on WF as a virtual diamond) and I don't really want to deal with the legwork. Most important to me is that it sparkles as much as possible for the specs I'm going for which is H VS2. I don't know that I've ever seen a super ideal in person but from my reading on here, it seems going with ACA from WF would be a safe bet.

Thoughts on these? Is the $2k difference due more to the inclusion profile or the color and size? The 1.34 has quite a few inclusions but they are off to the side. I'm not willing to pay $2k more if the 1.34 is going to perform well and look a bit bigger than my original 1.21.

For setting, I had a simple platinum Tiffany replica, so I'm considering the Vatche U-113. Would WF do customizations on this i.e. slightly thinner prongs? My first ring had graceful curved prongs and I've searched a lot for a similar look. The closest I've found is the Tiffany replica from Eternity by Yoni. The Vatache prong look a little beefier to me in comparison and it's about twice the cost, money I'd rather put into the diamond size. But I'm noticing it's hard to find 1.4s.

I did meet with a local diamond supplier/jeweler but he seemed to only care about stones being GIA XXX and the one he showed me scored badly on the HCA (5 something). This is the one he showed me: https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=2215698441

Appreciate any opinions! I've had lots of fun reading on here but feeling a bit overwhelmed at the same time.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I can't comment on the settings, but I definitely think the 1.34 ct will look bigger than your old stone due to the cut.

Check out this thread by @Mreader. It provides great visuals. The ACA K colored stud she purchased was less than .2 mm bigger than her GIA xxx stud.

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I can't comment as to the customization on the prongs, but the one from the local jeweler isn't worth it. You're right to go to WF.

The jump in price is due to the color, size, and clarity.
I ran the stats through this site:

You can look at them and see if the 1.34 looks big enough for you. It's a pretty small difference, but with the ACA, it may appear visually larger anyway because of the optics to your eye.

The 1.413 will be noticeably larger. But as you pointed out, it's $2k more.

Edited; noticed I entered the deets incorrectly.

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
Both ACA stones will look gorgeous! Here’s a pic comparing your old stone measurements to the 1.34 on a finger size of 6.5. Your old stone is on the right.

93BB309F-6D5E-4C8E-8A05-87B103E27039.jpeg
I also did a comparison of the two ACA stones, here you go:
7971B6E1-BF97-4C3F-8BA2-F8DA6F9CC10A.jpeg
Hope this helps you to visualize!
And yes, reach out the Whiteflash, they can do the prongs to your preference.

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
Just a quick note to say that the ACA will be bright from edge to edge, whereas my experience with GIAXxx is that they are often not. There’s a fantastic recent post comparing a triple x to an ACA that illustrates it well. I’m in an area with terrible cell service, so I can’t search it out, but perhaps a kind soul will link the thread so you can see the photos and videos.

I can’t wait to see what you find!

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ah, I wanted to add, what is your ring size? You may find it's worth the extra $2k if you want more finger coverage, for example.

bruin224

Rough_Rock
I can't comment as to the customization on the prongs, but the one from the local jeweler isn't worth it. You're right to go to WF.

The jump in price is due to the color, size, and clarity.
I ran the stats through this site:

You can look at them and see if the 1.34 looks big enough for you. It's a pretty small difference, but with the ACA, it may appear visually larger anyway because of the optics to your eye.

The 1.413 will be noticeably larger. But as you pointed out, it's $2k more.

Edited; noticed I entered the deets incorrectly.

Awesome compare tool, thanks for doing that! The 1.34 does look bigger to me. I don’t know that the extra $2k will be worth it for me since I’m not considering it as important to go up in color and clarity if the cheaper one is eye clean.

bruin224

Rough_Rock
Both ACA stones will look gorgeous! Here’s a pic comparing your old stone measurements to the 1.34 on a finger size of 6.5. Your old stone is on the right.

93BB309F-6D5E-4C8E-8A05-87B103E27039.jpeg
I also did a comparison of the two ACA stones, here you go:
7971B6E1-BF97-4C3F-8BA2-F8DA6F9CC10A.jpeg
Hope this helps you to visualize!
And yes, reach out the Whiteflash, they can do the prongs to your preference.

Definitely helps me visualize, thank you! I am actually a 6.5 so this is great

bruin224

Rough_Rock
Just a quick note to say that the ACA will be bright from edge to edge, whereas my experience with GIAXxx is that they are often not. There’s a fantastic recent post comparing a triple x to an ACA that illustrates it well. I’m in an area with terrible cell service, so I can’t search it out, but perhaps a kind soul will link the thread so you can see the photos and videos.

I can’t wait to see what you find!

I think I did read this thread, it was open on my browser, if this is the one you mean:

It was very informative!

bruin224

Rough_Rock
Ah, I wanted to add, what is your ring size? You may find it's worth the extra $2k if you want more finger coverage, for example.

I am a 6.5! There seems to be a definite jump in price tier with 1.4 and above, and I haven’t seen many super ideals at all between 1.4 and 1.5. So I’m thinking if I want to go with WF and the 1.34 fits my budget I will go for it! I definitely miss having my ring.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Found a colorless alternative and got the cert...whew that crown height.

cert.jpeg

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
I actually don't think you will notice much size difference. For me, it needs to be 0.25ct difference to really notice it. The price increase is more likely due to the upgrade in color from H to G. It depends on if you are color sensitive and how it important color is to you. Can't wait to see the final ring!

bruin224

Rough_Rock
Found a colorless alternative and got the cert...whew that crown height.

cert.jpeg

Very nice! Yes that crown height would be a definite difference than my previous stone!

bruin224

Rough_Rock
I actually don't think you will notice much size difference. For me, it needs to be 0.25ct difference to really notice it. The price increase is more likely due to the upgrade in color from H to G. It depends on if you are color sensitive and how it important color is to you. Can't wait to see the final ring!

Thanks, the jeweler I met with said the same about .25ct being the point where a size difference can really be seen. I’m kind of going off knowing that a friend’s e-ring is a 1.4ct Tiffany which I’ve always loved and it definitely seems bigger than mine. Probably less noticeable closer to 1.3.

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
I think I did read this thread, it was open on my browser, if this is the one you mean:

It was very informative!

No - it’s a different post. I’ll look for it and link.

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
Was it mine comparing 2 tiny .4 stones?

Yes! I’ve been trying to find it for the last half hour. Still bad signal - so it’s slow going if I have to look anything up. Sigh. I loved this thread and have it bookmarked, but can’t get to anything beyond he forum right now.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes! I’ve been trying to find it for the last half hour. Still bad signal - so it’s slow going if I have to look anything up. Sigh. I loved this thread and have it bookmarked, but can’t get to anything beyond he forum right now.

Here it is!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Very nice! Yes that crown height would be a definite difference than my previous stone!

Sorry, I meant crown angle...

It's a bit steep for most of us here at PS. Would definitely need to be scrutinized to determine if any impact on light return exists.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results