shape
carat
color
clarity

Colorless vs very warm? Super ideal vs XXX? A comparison thread

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wanted to start a new thread since I now have 2 stones ordered to compare IRL.

I assume most folks will think this is insane, but I ordered both this D/VS2 CBI:
https://wolfcbi.com/diamonds/173

And this GIA XXX M/VS1 from JA:

Edited to add this pic of the GIA cert for the M.

They are essentially opposites on the color spectrum, which is exactly why I want to see both IRL.

To be honest, I expect in the end I'll choose the CBI. But my love of brownish stones is deep, and if I didn't at least see this choice I'd always doubt myself and wonder "what if?"

For context, I am planning a custom tension set from Bruce boone. I want an entirely round setting, similar to the niessing rings (below). I priced out my favorite niessing with a "cinnamon" diamond, only to realize that 1) they are crazy expensive for the size stone you get, and 2) you cant choose your diamond, which is a dealbreaker for me.
20210719_204727.jpg

So Bruce agreed to make me an all round setting in titanium instead.

Just an FYI in case anyone wonders wtf I'm planning with the small stone :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210720-075250_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20210720-075250_Gmail.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looking forward to your thoughts when you get them!! This will be an interesting comparison :cool2:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
The specs for both look phenomenal.
Looking forward to your thoughts once you get the opportunity to compare them!

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
Wanted to start a new thread since I now have 2 stones ordered to compare IRL.

I assume most folks will think this is insane, but I ordered both this D/VS2 CBI:
https://wolfcbi.com/diamonds/173

And this GIA XXX M/VS1 from JA:

Edited to add this pic of the GIA cert for the M.

They are essentially opposites on the color spectrum, which is exactly why I want to see both IRL.

To be honest, I expect in the end I'll choose the CBI. But my love of brownish stones is deep, and if I didn't at least see this choice I'd always doubt myself and wonder "what if?"

For context, I am planning a custom tension set from Bruce boone. I want an entirely round setting, similar to the niessing rings (below). I priced out my favorite niessing with a "cinnamon" diamond, only to realize that 1) they are crazy expensive for the size stone you get, and 2) you cant choose your diamond, which is a dealbreaker for me.
20210719_204727.jpg

So Bruce agreed to make me an all round setting in titanium instead.

Just an FYI in case anyone wonders wtf I'm planning with the small stone :)

Very interested to see what you think when you compare both stones. Love the setting you’ve chosen.

I have been smitten by the CBI .40ct. J!

Excited for you!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very interested to see what you think when you compare both stones. Love the setting you’ve chosen.

I have been smitten by the CBI .40ct. J!

Excited for you!
I almost bought the J! But the CBIs are sooooo white in person that I wanted something OBVIOUSLY tinted, and the D had fatter arrows lol

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
I can’t wait! I may or may not have a custom order with CBI in the works as we speak… 5 J CBI’s. I too love warm, AND I love colorless! (I have a D and a J and a W/X). This thread is gonna be super helpful and just plain old fun. Can’t wait!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@lovedogs I have an M diamond in the exact .40 size! I LOVE a brown undertone compared to yellow. I was surprised how white it looks in person. Of course when I put it next to my F and tilt it the color is warmer…It’s definitely not cinnamon color. I will try to find the pics of
it loose and set if you would like to see it.

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
I can’t wait! I may or may not have a custom order with CBI in the works as we speak… 5 J CBI’s. I too love warm, AND I love colorless! (I have a D and a J and a W/X). This thread is gonna be super helpful and just plain old fun. Can’t wait!

Wow, 5 J CBI’s. That would be a sight for sore eyes, any day of the week!!!

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, 5 J CBI’s. That would be a sight for sore eyes, any day of the week!!!

I am practically giddy with excitement!!! I will post a SMTB thread when it’s done :D

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lovedogs I have an M diamond in the exact .40 size! I LOVE a brown undertone compared to yellow. I was surprised how white it looks in person. Of course when I put it next to my F and tilt it the color is warmer…It’s definitely not cinnamon color. I will try to find the pics of
it loose and set if you would like to see it.

haha I am nervous mine will be too white IRL. I would only consider keeping it if it's CLEARLY brownish. We will see! Yours is GORGEOUs, but I think not tinted enough for my personal preferences.

I almost ignored cut and got this one because the color is so lovely. But I just couldn't get past the weirdness on the table/arrows.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
haha I am nervous mine will be too white IRL. I would only consider keeping it if it's CLEARLY brownish. We will see! Yours is GORGEOUs, but I think not tinted enough for my personal preferences.

I almost ignored cut and got this one because the color is so lovely. But I just couldn't get past the weirdness on the table/arrows.

Haha! Now you’re making me want another M!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
While 'we' wait for the diamonds, that setting from Niessing is also to die for.

right??!?! I love it so much and came SO close to buying it. But not being able to choose the stone just doesn't work for my PS brain, and for a .25 stone + setting it's 3500-3800, which is just insanity IMHO (no shade to anyone who buys them because I would if I could afford to spend that $ and potentially be unhappy with the stone). But for significantly less $ I can get a super ideal and custom setting, so I just couldn't justify it.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This will be interesting....lots of pictures and videos, please!

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
right??!?! I love it so much and came SO close to buying it. But not being able to choose the stone just doesn't work for my PS brain, and for a .25 stone + setting it's 3500-3800, which is just insanity IMHO (no shade to anyone who buys them because I would if I could afford to spend that $ and potentially be unhappy with the stone). But for significantly less $ I can get a super ideal and custom setting, so I just couldn't justify it.

That Niessing is one of my all time favorite settings. But like you, can't justify the price.
Looking forward to seeing how yours comes out as I have a few stones I think would work in that setting. Can't wait to see the Boone version.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lovedogs
What’s the chance of coming out of this with two Boone rings of different metals?
:D

lol I'd like to say zero, since he only works in white metals (titanium and similar metals of the same color), but obviously I'm pretty nutty so who knows :)

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Plopping a comment because I'm all in on the discovery phase :bigsmile:

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Time for me to comment on your thread. I love love the M color and it will look sensational in the tension setting.
My next project (a long time from now) will be .50 heart shape probably in brown /pink tones for a pendant.
We all can't wait to see how it looks and funny enough my son's name is Bruce so I am intrigued to see your M set.

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock
Time for me to comment on your thread. I love love the M color and it will look sensational in the tension setting.
My next project (a long time from now) will be .50 heart shape probably in brown /pink tones for a pendant.
We all can't wait to see how it looks and funny enough my son's name is Bruce so I am intrigued to see your M set.

I am obsessed with heart shapes, @heididdl... I have a heart shaped pendant. :kiss2:
A brown/pink one would be gorgeous!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing wrong with liking both ends of the spectrum. I have a 3-stone RHR with a 2.18 E-VS1 CBI flanked by two .52 F-VS1/2 CBIs.

On the other end I also have a 2.31 Q-VVS2 CBI that I also love. This is the one diamond where I had difficulty deciding so @Wink suggested that he cancel the sale.

Shown below are both rings.

20190510_105139.jpg 20180323_140835.jpg 20180324_175638.jpg

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@MamaBee, it looks almost pink in the first photo!! I love it! You are inspiring me! :mrgreen:

@Fabulous50 It does look pink in the photo...but not in real life. The undertone just comes out in photos. If you blow up the pic you will see a little heart! It’s in the pic with the red ring box..:kiss2: I think my GIA report says very light brown or something like that besides saying it’s an M. If you want me to look I’ll dig it out. I thought my diamond in the video looked like the color of Mercury glass…no yellow…

Last edited:

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock
@Fabulous50 It does look pink in the photo...but not in real life. The undertone just comes out in photos. If you blow up the pic you will see a little heart! It’s in the pic with the red ring box..:kiss2: I think my GIA report says very light brown or something like that besides saying it’s an M. If you want me to look I’ll dig it out. I thought my diamond in the video looked like the color of Mercury glass…no yellow…

Oh yes I see the heart!! :kiss2::kiss2: So beautiful. And if you dont mind sharing the report, I would love to see it.:wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results