clarity

Opinions on Gorilla killed at Cinn. Zoo

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
CJ2008|1464891414|4039451 said:
I can tell you one thing.

I wouldn't making any sort of jokes. :((

I've known a few people in my life who make jokes / use humor at the oddest moments (I had a coworker once make a joke when 9/11 was happening right in front of our eyes, we were watching it on TV) and I thought to myself that it kind of fell in line with who she was. I have to admit I didn't like her much and even less in that moment. Even though I know some people use humor when they feel uncomfortable it's hard for me to wrap my head around it.

Completely unrelated to this post, but your point here really struck a nerve with me and I had to respond. I am the person who makes horrible jokes about unfunny topics. It's a coping mechanism. I have offended people in the past and I am sure I will offend people in the future, but it's easier for me to make jokes about my parents being dead, for example, than tip toe around the elephant in the room when someone asks me if I'm going "home" for Christmas. Sometimes the emotions people feel are too deep to acknowledge in earnest and using off color humor is a way to get through a conversation intact.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Packrat, I appreciated your posts as well. You always have a unique and well thought out perspective. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lovedogs|1464897580|4039477 said:
arkieb1|1464851033|4039276 said:
WARNING graphic language/swearing, great article about our lack of empathy and the internet though....

https://medium.com/@honeystaysuper/hey-america-do-accidents-happen-anymore-especially-when-a-kid-is-involved-70b0971e5656#.e6mnkj423

This article perfectly sums up my feelings on the entire matter (graphic language included since I have a serious potty mouth :tongue: )

Thanks, Arkie!
Awesome article!

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1464899193|4039503 said:

If you want to know why mothers — especially mothers in this country — are so batshit crazy, maybe it has something to do with the fact that we are blamed for every. god damn. thing. BY STRANGERS.
Work full time? Why are you letting someone else raise your kid
Stay at home mom? Why aren’t you teaching them to be independent go-getters?
Breastfeeding, formula feeding, ****ing wilderness schools, grit, financial savvy, watching them all of the time, watching them none of the time, free range, Tiger Mom-ing ALL OF THE THINGS OH MY GOD INTERNET MAKE UP YOUR ****ING MINDS.

Uh ... the Internet is not one person/entity/force.
It's just a communication tool that's used by many.

People vary, and so will their opinions.
Why do you think you have to appear perfect in the minds of everyone? :roll:

IOW, NEWS FLASH! ... There is not one single correct way to be!
Be yourself, and when (not if) someone doesn't like it, ignore them.

The frustration articulated in the above quote is just another sad example of people not getting that people vary.[/quote]

The point is that MOTHERS are constantly hit with criticism for what they are doing with their children. When usually, what they are doing is....their best!

And it is rarely ever good enough...for "the internet," the bitchy mom's club, the frenemy, the diamond forum, other women in general.. because if you aren't doing it exactly like them..you aren't doing it right!

The saddest thing in this world is the fact that women don't form a sisterhood when it comes to raising children. Instead, they choose to form competitions. Somehow, stepping on some mother that they perceive as "less than" helps them to feel taller.

So yes, people vary. But bitches don't.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
bitches be crazy

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1464900475|4039512 said:
bitches be crazy

That comes from an episode of, "The Big Bang Theory". I recognize it. The mailman said it.

Deb :wavey:

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
stracci2000 said:
Now that it seems the mother is making light of this incident on Facebook, does that change anyone's opinion of her?
I'm sure she's in a good mood over the prospect of a lawsuit against the zoo.
In the absence of documentation, I'm not inclined to give credence to mere say-so under the circumstances. There were hordes of people scouring the world-wide web, as soon as the parents' names became known, to find out more about them, what the parents might be saying about what had happened at the zoo. Had a dismissive comment from the mother or father along the lines of "Oh, but he was having such fun, he loves monkeys" appeared, surely someone in the Internet universe would have captured the "gotcha" -- and the screen shot would have gone viral, just as the mother's one Facebook post did.

I imagine there's at least one lawyer out there who, having seen-heard, for example, the little boy shrieking and crying out (his face has been digitally obscured) in this video:
http://www.wlwt.com/news/enhanced-video-boy-falls-into-cincinnati-zoos-gorilla-enclosure/39849722
and the mother's panic-stricken 911 call
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2016/06/01/family-3-year-old-cincinnati-zoo-incident-still-doing-well/85239880/
will try to convince the parents that litigation could prove to be a financial boon. But I'm less certain than you that the parents want to put themselves through that.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HouseCat, I totally get that women and mothers are unfairly crapped on.
The Internet accelerates that.
It accelerates everything.

My point does not negate that.
My point is people vary and there's not one single correct way to be.
Better than anything in the past, the Internet's reach and speed exposes that people don't get that people just vary.

Blaming the Internet itself, as the writer of the link did, is like blaming paper and ink for everything printed that bothers you.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you guys knew how long it takes me to make a post you'd think i was a blithering idiot. It takes me forever to get it how i want it to sound and say what I want it to say.

Well..cept for the bitches be crazy thing..that was pretty quick wit there. ;-)

Deb-Got 'cher back Jack!
I love that show.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I didn't think the writer was blaming the internet itself, or saying the internet was the problem, I took it as a version of saying "people", like the internet is full of people, and the people are the problem. Makes it so much easier to be a self righteous wanker nowadays and insist that people be like you. And just b/c we know that people vary, doesn't make it any easier to have it shoved in your face every time you turn around that there are groups that think you suck b/c you did x rather than y or b/c you think R instead of Q. It would be nice if we could just say to specific people, hey, jackass, quit being such a buttmunch will ya? stop acting like your own shit don't stink. buuut, alas and alack, 'tis not embraced, so sometimes the only thing we feel we can do is let out a general ARGH! and fire back on the internet in hopes that someone will see it and take it to heart.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1464901443|4039524 said:
Deb-Got 'cher back Jack!
I love that show.

I told you I like your posts, packie. ;))

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1464900475|4039512 said:
bitches be crazy
Guess who made them crazy: the SOB'S they hooked up with.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1464901864|4039527 said:
I didn't think the writer was blaming the internet itself, or saying the internet was the problem, I took it as a version of saying "people", like the internet is full of people, and the people are the problem. Makes it so much easier to be a self righteous wanker nowadays and insist that people be like you. And just b/c we know that people vary, doesn't make it any easier to have it shoved in your face every time you turn around that there are groups that think you suck b/c you did x rather than y or b/c you think R instead of Q. It would be nice if we could just say to specific people, hey, jackass, quit being such a buttmunch will ya? stop acting like your own shit don't stink. buuut, alas and alack, 'tis not embraced, so sometimes the only thing we feel we can do is let out a general ARGH! and fire back on the internet in hopes that someone will see it and take it to heart.
It's ok. The internet can handle it.
:halo:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1464901208|4039521 said:
HouseCat, I totally get that women and mothers are unfairly crapped on.
The Internet accelerates that.
It accelerates everything.

My point does not negate that.
My point is people vary and there's not one single correct way to be.
Better than anything in the past, the Internet's reach and speed exposes that people don't get that people just vary.

Blaming the Internet itself, as the writer of the link did, is like blaming paper and ink for everything printed that bothers you.

Actually I disagree with you, some examples, the mother of the child in question received 300 000 + signatures on a petition in less than a day stating she was a bad mother and her child should be removed from her. Sure if you are a good mother I guess it doesn't matter but it would be no doubt difficult unless you had pretty thick skin to ignore that. Pop stars and celebrities remove themselves from social media all the time because of the hate mail they receive online.

Children not only get bullied online, they commit suicide directly because of comments made on social media. The internet allows people on mass to bully, denigrate and belittle without filters in a way that just would not happen in real life and it's not only the speed in which it occurs, it's the number of faceless shameless people that are sadly willingly to get on board and do it.

You have seen the piles on here, well imagine on Facebook or on Twitter or any one of the other places that is supposed to "link us" to each other, that a mother says something or as you yourself have posted someone posts a photograph of a sick child in the shower being held by a father, both of them are naked. The posters of the images or the comments, or whatever it might happen to be suddenly get world wide attention (much of it in a negative way) on mass. It's not normal. Suddenly hundreds of thousands of people become experts in child behaviour, in animal behaviour, in parenting and a whole range of other topics and have opinions they think are suddenly correct without knowing all of the facts.

The point is that the internet does something the print media never can, it not only reaches more people quickly, it not allows the audience to reach their own levels of bias about what they see, hear or read BUT the glaring difference to print media or the TV, it allows them to REACT back to what they have just seen, heard or read, they can suddenly post comments link their own photos, videos or points of view and their POVs or reactions can been seen by everyone on mass as well. It also allows people that would NEVER appear in any other form of media to suddenly become famous to get attention in a matter of days weeks etc AND it allows people to comment or voice their reactions irrespective of how right or wrong or accurate they might happen to be back again, all in a public way.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Excellent post arkie, very well said. :appl:

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1464712940|4038514 said:
Here's a question that nobody wants to ask and answer, and I will probably be flamed for asking this:

We humans have captured and put animals in captivity for many reasons. Why is a child's life worth more than what we have done and continue to do to endangered animals?

I agree Chrono.

I'm both a mother and a have sympathy for these endangered animals we put in captivity. The animals are frustrated, lonely, and taken from there homes. I understand the anxiety they must feel. As humans we should understand this and not put ourselves in harms way.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ZestfullyBling|1464960344|4039749 said:
Chrono|1464712940|4038514 said:
Here's a question that nobody wants to ask and answer, and I will probably be flamed for asking this:

We humans have captured and put animals in captivity for many reasons. Why is a child's life worth more than what we have done and continue to do to endangered animals?

I agree Chrono.

I'm both a mother and a have sympathy for these endangered animals we put in captivity. The animals are frustrated, lonely, and taken from there homes. I understand the anxiety they must feel. As humans we should understand this and not put ourselves in harms way.

Well said, Chrono and Zestfullybling. I agree 100%.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
liaerfbv|1464899210|4039504 said:

I've known a few people in my life who make jokes / use humor at the oddest moments (I had a coworker once make a joke when 9/11 was happening right in front of our eyes, we were watching it on TV) and I thought to myself that it kind of fell in line with who she was. I have to admit I didn't like her much and even less in that moment. Even though I know some people use humor when they feel uncomfortable it's hard for me to wrap my head around it.

Completely unrelated to this post, but your point here really struck a nerve with me and I had to respond. I am the person who makes horrible jokes about unfunny topics. It's a coping mechanism. I have offended people in the past and I am sure I will offend people in the future, but it's easier for me to make jokes about my parents being dead, for example, than tip toe around the elephant in the room when someone asks me if I'm going "home" for Christmas. Sometimes the emotions people feel are too deep to acknowledge in earnest and using off color humor is a way to get through a conversation intact.

liaerfbv I'm so glad you posted this, because it may the only chance I get to hear the "other side" since it would probably feel too uncomfortable or awkward to ask someone in real life about this. And I didn't have a close relationship with that co-worker so I would have never asked her.

So do you feel misunderstood when people get offended? Do you ever explain your side of it or do you feel like "F it" if they don't get me? Do you ever end up feeling like you did something wrong?

I'm so curious about this I hope you're willing and OK to share so I can understand better.

I would imagine it's tough to have reactions that most people don't understand.

The closest thing for me that I can relate to is my general dislike for social events - I've gotten more comfortable with who I am, but in general it was really tough to be the only one in a group of like 20 who felt exhausted and put upon by the endless birthdays and gatherings when everyone else seemed to be gung-ho about them.

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1464825145|4039139 said:
Very disturbing the way this thread has evolved. I will say that it is incredible that there are people who admit they value the life of the animal over the child. But this is what happens once a society starts down that slippery slope of believing that unborn human babies can be killed at will, people with illnesses can be legally helped to kill themselves in some states, and I fear what is coming next is the withholding of medical treatment for old people so they will die sooner and not be a drain on financial resources. This is not too far from the philosophy of Hitler, actually.

I do believe that humans were created as beings of higher intelligence and were given the task of caring for the earth and the animals. The bad acts of the few do not ever negate the purpose and value of humans in general. I would think one would not have to be religious at all to believe humans are superior to animals. Yet we do have a responsibility to care for and protect animals.

For the record, I was sick about the gorilla the second I heard the news reports. My first thought was WHY didn't they use a sedative (???!!!), but then I heard the reasons they couldn't. I am certain that they were probably grieved over the decision more than anyone on earth. I was not there and cannot judge who all was at fault or whether it was just a total fluke that the child slipped away so fast that it could have happened to anyone. I have seen a child that age (3-5) separated from parents at Disney World. It happens more than you think. I will tell you that I am a very protective mom, but I know when you have more than one child, this can and does happen without the parents being totally negligent. But maybe they were negligent. Maybe the enclosure was not child-proof enough. We can blame all we want, but we can't turn back the clock.

I don't speak up on here very often, but I read a quote just yesterday that altered my thinking a bit.

"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act. " Dietrich Bonhoffer

DS, I agree with each paragraph. Thank you.

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
CJ2008|1464964879|4039776 said:
liaerfbv|1464899210|4039504 said:

liaerfbv I'm so glad you posted this, because it may the only chance I get to hear the "other side" since it would probably feel too uncomfortable or awkward to ask someone in real life about this. And I didn't have a close relationship with that co-worker so I would have never asked her.

So do you feel misunderstood when people get offended? Do you ever explain your side of it or do you feel like "F it" if they don't get me? Do you ever end up feeling like you did something wrong?

I'm so curious about this I hope you're willing and OK to share so I can understand better.

I would imagine it's tough to have reactions that most people don't understand.

The closest thing for me that I can relate to is my general dislike for social events - I've gotten more comfortable with who I am, but in general it was really tough to be the only one in a group of like 20 who felt exhausted and put upon by the endless birthdays and gatherings when everyone else seemed to be gung-ho about them.

In the past when I've offended someone with my humor I don't feel misunderstood - I recognize I have an extremely dark sense of humor and not everyone is open to that or finds me funny. That's okay. I don't always use dark humor to be "funny," it's more often my way of dealing with an uncomfortable (for me) topic or situation. I don't ever really feel like I've done something "wrong" when I've offended someone, though I have definitely apologized for my jokes a few times. I have tried to explain myself sometimes (depending on circumstances), but that just makes it worse I've found, so I sit quietly and let the awkwardness stew most of the time. It doesn't really bother me at all.

If someone doesn't like something I've said, I'm happy to discuss it with them, but like you, most people are too uncomfortable for a direct conversation and that's okay too. I wouldn't say it's hard to have people not understand my humor, or sense of appropriateness, it's just made me more discerning about my friends (who at this point do not bat an eye at the horrors I spew :lol: ).

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I read today that the parents will not be charged. I am not surprised because I had read that it would have been incredibly difficult to prove negligence (mostly due to the short amount of time involved in the incident).

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
liaerfbv|1465075749|4040220 said:
In the past when I've offended someone with my humor I don't feel misunderstood - I recognize I have an extremely dark sense of humor and not everyone is open to that or finds me funny. That's okay. I don't always use dark humor to be "funny," it's more often my way of dealing with an uncomfortable (for me) topic or situation. I don't ever really feel like I've done something "wrong" when I've offended someone, though I have definitely apologized for my jokes a few times. I have tried to explain myself sometimes (depending on circumstances), but that just makes it worse I've found, so I sit quietly and let the awkwardness stew most of the time. It doesn't really bother me at all.

If someone doesn't like something I've said, I'm happy to discuss it with them, but like you, most people are too uncomfortable for a direct conversation and that's okay too. I wouldn't say it's hard to have people not understand my humor, or sense of appropriateness, it's just made me more discerning about my friends (who at this point do not bat an eye at the horrors I spew :lol: ).

Thanks for explaining liaerfbv :wavey:

And yes, that's the wonderful thing about friends, when they accept you just as you are.

I've had to do the same thing as far as my introverted nature...train people. ::) Not everyone is trainable but that's ok. :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results