shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on finding my tourmaline a home

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, So I finally purchased my tourmaline from Barry...wheww got that out of the way,, now its time to find a home for it. Here was my idea.. yay or nay? and metal color choice luckily the head it just about the right size.. .5mm off but I''m sure jeweler can fix? what do you think? I really wanted a bezel, but then I''m not too sure about that... if you have any other ideas I''d love to hear them.

terrytourmalineproject1.JPG

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it''d look lovely!
But...I''m also a big bezel fan...lol. I know I''m no help!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I think it depends on what kind of look you are going for.

If you want something simple a pave, shared prong, the setting you have would be great.

If you want something more elaborate, how bout a pronged halo setting. I have seen tons of great ascher/halo combos.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats!! I just LOVE both the setting and the stone. So I''d love to see them together. No citicisms from me on either one.

If you want suggestions, the only one I can come up with is "claw prongs."

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
so far you all don''t think the octagonal shape will look funny with the round bezel stones on the shank? I did think about the halo look, but not sure if it''s going to be too much for my little finger to handle
33.gif
as this stone is about 7mm on a size 4 finger

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
well i just bought it, i don''t know what color of metal I want to use, and for which stones yet, so I"m waiting for two or three of my little gemmies to arrive to decide. thanks for your input guys!

Ryon

Shiny_Rock
My GF has a size 4 finger and I am in the process (waiting for conformation) of getting her a 7x7 stone as well

I think that size looks perfect on a size 4 finger, not to big not to small..

I was thinking 8x8 for a while and decided that was a little wild haha

Ryon

Shiny_Rock
My advice- don''t overdue it..

Let the focus be on the stone

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/5/2009 6:34:20 PM
Author: Ryon
My GF has a size 4 finger and I am in the process (waiting for conformation) of getting her a 7x7 stone as well

I think that size looks perfect on a size 4 finger, not to big not to small..

I was thinking 8x8 for a while and decided that was a little wild haha
hahahaha... i just bought another little gemmy at 8mm RB... but i''m waiting to get that one as well to see what I want to do with that whether it might be more suite for this setting... or a pendant.. im in a pendant mode lately. I like it more simple... so what have you got for your GF?

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I agree that 7mm with halo will be too much for a size 4 finger. I love the setting but we will have to test it out to see how it looks with the octangon stone. By the way, where did you get the setting? I want to copy you!

Ryon

Shiny_Rock
Square cushion aqua (light blue) from Gary

couldn''t post pictures they are to small according to the pricescope file attacher

Magenta

Shiny_Rock
I was looking to get my octagonal spess set in 6 prongs, and all the advice I received was that either:

a) I should put it in 4 prongs, because it would look better
or
b) I should put it in 4 prongs, so 2 of the prongs wouldn''t be on a point.

Not sure if the same would apply here, but I certainly like the idea of that stone and that setting.

My $0.02 AUD

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/5/2009 7:48:34 PM
Author: CharmyPoo
I agree that 7mm with halo will be too much for a size 4 finger. I love the setting but we will have to test it out to see how it looks with the octangon stone. By the way, where did you get the setting? I want to copy you!
Charmypoo... its LOGR one of his newest setting.. its only $169! what a deal!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/5/2009 9:29:33 PM
Author: Magenta
I was looking to get my octagonal spess set in 6 prongs, and all the advice I received was that either:

a) I should put it in 4 prongs, because it would look better
or
b) I should put it in 4 prongs, so 2 of the prongs wouldn't be on a point.

Not sure if the same would apply here, but I certainly like the idea of that stone and that setting.

My $0.02 AUD
I really feel uneasy about a 4 prongs because I'm a klutz sometimes, so I'm ok with the rounded look with a step cut stone.. maybe it'll give it some visual interest, but I'm i'm going wait for the stone to make sure, I have another stone on the way but its an 8mm, and perfectly round, but wanted to make that into a pendant so we shall see which will be a better choice for the setting... Once I get the stones, i'll post them up so you all can help me once again.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/5/2009 4:39:49 PM
Author: D&T
so far you all don''t think the octagonal shape will look funny with the round bezel stones on the shank? I did think about the halo look, but not sure if it''s going to be too much for my little finger to handle
33.gif
This is my primary concern - trying to squeeze a octagon stone into a obviously round setting. I haven''t even touched the issue of the round bezels but the basket is obviously round and I''m not sure the pavilion will fit. Not only that, asschers are the deepest cut out there. Be sure the belly will fit.

As for size, I have no issue with 7 mm on a size 4 finger. Mine is size 4.5 and I find 7 mm a wee bit to small. 8mm feels just right.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/5/2009 11:28:49 PM
Author: Chrono

Date: 6/5/2009 4:39:49 PM
so far you all don't think the octagonal shape will look funny with the round bezel stones on the shank? I did think about the halo look, but not sure if it's going to be too much for my little finger to handle
33.gif
This is my primary concern - trying to squeeze a octagon stone into a obviously round setting. I haven't even touched the issue of the round bezels but the basket is obviously round and I'm not sure the pavilion will fit. Not only that, asschers are the deepest cut out there. Be sure the belly will fit.

As for size, I have no issue with 7 mm on a size 4 finger. Mine is size 4.5 and I find 7 mm a wee bit to small. 8mm feels just right.
Hey Chrono. should it be four prongs on octagonal shaped stones? I guess I need to search for those that have octagonal shape and how that was set.. I just acquired an 8 mm round peridot concave cut... so i'm just waiting to receive them both before I tell LOGR what I need done on the head, otherwise I'll just order the ring, in the stock head, and might have to send it off to Michael to see what can be done to fit the stone in...
2.gif
have to ask him first as he's cutting a spinel princess for me as well.

ETA: and if i just buy stock, i can avoid that extra $30-$50 custom LOGR fee if I'm still going to have a jeweler fix it anyways with additional fees kwim?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
D&T,
I have that same setting, and my cushion cut stone fits in there nicely. If you want, I can take some pics. A cushion is similar to the squarish shape of an asscher. The only thing is that I like it on a diagonal in that setting. However, as Chrono mentioned, asscher pavillions are deep, so that's something to consider. LOGR can give you the pavillion dimensions on that ring.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Hmm, I agree about not stuffing an asscher into a setting meant for a round. It won''t look right. I really think I''d prefer a nice bezel though. Nice stone!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL- yes if you don't mind posting some pictures of, it'll help me see it visually,Thank you in advance.

Icekid Thanks, and I really like to even bezel it (thin as Barry had suggested it), I'm checking with a jeweler to see what it'll run me... or even doable.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/6/2009 9:20:04 AM
TL- yes if you don''t mind posting some pictures of, it''ll help me see it visually,Thank you in advance.

Icekid Thanks, and I really like to even bezel it (thin as Barry had suggested it), I''m checking with a jeweler to see what it''ll run me... or even doable.
D&T,
Here is a picture of my cushion on a diagonal in the ring. If you were to take off the prongs where I placed the arrows, the cushion would fit in here nicely I think.

TLspinelLOGR3.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It actually fits in here better not on an angle, but I think the angle picture above makes it more visually interesting.

Sorry for the fuzzy shot.

TLspinelLOGR2.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Side view. The stone is 1.5 carats. I think it's around a 7x7 mm.

TLspinelLOGR4.JPG

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
TL - You have a camera now. No excuses. PICS!

DT - 7mm without halo isn''t too big. I have several 7 mm rings on a size 3 finger. It''s when you add a larger halo than it becomes too big. Thin halo is fine. My 2 cents. I found the setting.. debating if I should buy it. I think I am going to wait for the right stone first.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/6/2009 11:23:27 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Side view. The stone is 1.5 carats. I think it's around a 7x7 mm.
TL- thanks for the pictures, did you get it in rose gold? its a pretty setting and I too like how you angle the stone kite shaped look, I'm excited to get it,,, was there a slight gap between the culet and the base of the prongs? since it is a stock head of 7.5, but I'm hoping my asscher stone isn't too deep... if it is, I still like the setting, someone can modify the head at least. I'll get in yellow gold for it.

ETA: are you getting it set pretty soon?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/6/2009 11:24:27 AM
Author: CharmyPoo
TL - You have a camera now. No excuses. PICS!

DT - 7mm without halo isn''t too big. I have several 7 mm rings on a size 3 finger. It''s when you add a larger halo than it becomes too big. Thin halo is fine. My 2 cents. I found the setting.. debating if I should buy it. I think I am going to wait for the right stone first.
thanks Charmy- I''ll have to go hunting to look for a delicate halo, for some reason the ones that LOGR seems a little more bulky but I haven''t browse through his entire store yet... off to seek another setting, just in case... I also like his three stone with baguettes.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/6/2009 11:39:28 AM

Side view. The stone is 1.5 carats. I think it''s around a 7x7 mm.
TL- thanks for the pictures, did you get it in rose gold? its a pretty setting and I too like how you angle the stone kite shaped look, I''m excited to get it,,, was there a slight gap between the culet and the base of the prongs? since it is a stock head of 7.5, but I''m hoping my asscher stone isn''t too deep... if it is, I still like the setting, someone can modify the head at least. I''ll get in yellow gold for it.
Yes, it''s in 14K rose gold. Yes there is a gap. A good jeweler should be able to modify it if necessary. Please post pics when you get it. I would love to see how your asscher looks in it.
1.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
man.. that rose gold looks incredible with your colored stone there, I''m thinking I might just get it in rose gold instead... and copy you
31.gif
I don''t have any rose gold rings.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you D&T. Just note that rose gold is more difficult for many jewelers to work with, so if you do get it, please make sure your benchperson is up to the job.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/6/2009 11:39:28 AM

Side view. The stone is 1.5 carats. I think it''s around a 7x7 mm.
TL- thanks for the pictures, did you get it in rose gold? its a pretty setting and I too like how you angle the stone kite shaped look, I''m excited to get it,,, was there a slight gap between the culet and the base of the prongs? since it is a stock head of 7.5, but I''m hoping my asscher stone isn''t too deep... if it is, I still like the setting, someone can modify the head at least. I''ll get in yellow gold for it.

ETA: are you getting it set pretty soon?
I''m still figuring out what stone to use this setting for.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
good to know,,, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results