shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on engagement ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

younglaw

Rough_Rock
Round cut, .91carat, E, VS2 for $6,408 http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5031/

versus

ACA H&A round cut, .740carat, D, VS2 for $4,352 http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-1445156.htm

versus

ACA H&A round cut, .711carat, F, VVS2 for $4,324 http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-1148591.htm

Deals I would get at Barmakian Brothers in Boston, MA (I haven''t been there yet, but thought I''d throw into the mix in case anyone has any opinion on the place).

Background: I know my girlfriend wants quality over size and doesn''t want a large ring (she said nothing more than .5carats...but I think she''s exagerating). I know she wants round-cut, a simple, classic solataire setting (platinum). She is petite with small hands and slender fingers. I know she said modest, but is .71-.74 overly modest? Money isn''t of the highest concern, but is a consideration.

I want to make sure this is something she''ll love, so any help is truly appreciated.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can understand wanting high quality. But anything over F and over VS2 is probably ... you know...not the best way to spend money.

I think .7 ct is a great size, btw...

younglaw

Rough_Rock
So you think that anything above F and anything above VS2 is essentially impossible to notice the difference?

Neither I nor her care about appraisals...it''s all about how it will look on her hand.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Any of those 3 stones would be beautiful choices. If you want to stay high on the color and clarity by all means do so, but you certainly could drop a bit like to F VS2 and get the same look for less if you want.

younglaw

Rough_Rock
Thank you both for your replies. I will keep this in mind.

I guess it comes down to size then...

The only other diamond I had looked at was on JamesAllen.com

H&A round cut, .91carat, E, VS1 for $6,400

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/classic-solitaire-settings/ring/item_57-2637_design.asp?module=diamond&item=1197284

Is the size difference from .74 to .91 that much at the H&A cut?

I know a lot of this depends on personal preference..I''m just looking for a sounding board since I''ve been pouring over diamond websites for months and it helps to have a fresh set of eyes.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally think going from a 3/4 ct to a .9 ct is worth it...the size difference is notable.

Almost no one can tell the difference between a D and an F face up. Of course, there will always be people who claim they can tell the difference between a D and an E...

But the official line is that D/E/F are very difficult to tell apart. D and G you can tell from the bottom. It usually takes going to at least an H/I before you can tell in the face-up position.

younglaw

Rough_Rock
I should add, in relation to what carat is appropriate, that I live in Boston...I guess I just don''t want her to feel funny about the size of the ring compared to others... I''m not sure she would, but it''s a one-time purchase of a life time so I want to get it right.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
The size difference is usually noticeable, however with this particular stone, the depth is a bit deep and the size difference (face up) will only be about 1mm. I think the first stones look better.

Good Luck!!

younglaw

Rough_Rock
One final question.

Is a .90 versus a 1.0 that noticeable a difference? For the diamonds I am looking at it''s a $2k jump in price...worth it?

Thanks again for all the help!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ehhh... I''d go from .75 to .90

Taking in consideration she said she wanted a .50 ct...idk if I''d go for a 1 ct.

younglaw

Rough_Rock
Point taken, thanks.

Any opinion on James Allen H&A vs WhiteFlash H&A?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/16/2008 9:47:08 PM
Author: younglaw
Point taken, thanks.

Any opinion on James Allen H&A vs WhiteFlash H&A?

The WF one is nicer. And FWIW, if she only asked for .5 carat than .75ish will be a very nice size for her. I don''t think it''s necessary to go even bigger if that''s not what she wants ya know?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results