shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on Aquamarine

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It looks pretty, but the photos are fishy. They seem so dark and grainy.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
athenaworth|1308154638|2946631 said:
It looks pretty, but the photos are fishy. They seem so dark and grainy.

Yes, hard to get a good feel for how is really looks.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It appears to be very dark in tone, which for aquamarines is desirable in the trade. It is one of the few gems that is valued based on tone rather than saturation (the darker the tone, the more valuable). As far as saturation is concerned, there are other aquamarines that appear to be more saturated, even if lighter in tone. I wish it was up against a more neutral and lighter background. It's more difficult to evaluate color against a dark background IMHO.

Who just recently posted a beautiful aqua in an Art Deco inspired ring here? That stone was lighter in tone, but appeared more saturated than this one.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1308155507|2946645 said:
It appears to be very dark in tone, which for aquamarines is desirable in the trade. It is one of the few gems that is valued based on tone rather than saturation (the darker the tone, the more valuable). As far as saturation is concerned, there are other aquamarines that appear to be more saturated, even if lighter in tone. I wish it was up against a more neutral and lighter background. It's more difficult to evaluate color against a dark background IMHO.

Who just recently posted a beautiful aqua in an Art Deco inspired ring here? That stone was lighter in tone, but appeared more saturated than this one.

Any idea what would be a reasonable per carat price?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
an aqua of this color, well, i'm not sure there is a reasonable price per carat. getting this tone is pricey.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
movie zombie|1308158531|2946689 said:
an aqua of this color, well, i'm not sure there is a reasonable price per carat. getting this tone is pricey.

Is 400-500/carat too pricey?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bright ice|1308158803|2946695 said:

I agree with Mozo, and I think if the color is as dark as it is pictured, than $400 to $500/ct is a fair price. I would like to see a photo of it on the hand though, and against a lighter background.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1308159400|2946708 said:

I agree with Mozo, and I think if the color is as dark as it is pictured, than $400 to $500/ct is a fair price. I would like to see a photo of it on the hand though, and against a lighter background.

The contact is requesting a additional photos for me but she feels that it may not be possible. So I would run the risk of return cost if not as stated.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bright ice|1308159616|2946714 said:
TL|1308159400|2946708 said:

The contact is requesting a hand photo for me but she feels that it may not be posible. So I would run the risk of return cost if not as stated.

It depends on how much you want a dark toned aqua. I don't see any tampering with the photo, but it would be nice to have additional photos.

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/9-1ct-natural-unheated-aquamarine-in-18k-wg-setting.161539/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/9-1ct-natural-unheated-aquamarine-in-18k-wg-setting.161539/[/URL]

If you are talking about this one, it is mine =)

The oval in the photo next to the ring is currently at AGL getting certed, and hopefully will verify that it is unheated. As TL stated, mine is not as dark as the one in the photo, but it is very saturated. Also, the stone in the ring is from Mozambique (according to the seller) and not from Brazil.

I wouldn't venture a guess what a nice aquamarine from Brazil is worth per carat. I didn't pay anything close to $400 a carat for mine, but I also think I got quite lucky. I bought all three that the vendor had from this lot because I didn't think I'd get lucky enough to come across any this color and clarity again at the price I paid. Unfortunately, the largest one that I hope to put in a pendant some day is still on layaway, but I'm hoping to get it by the end of the month.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Colorlvr,
Yes, it was your ring I was referring too. Thanks!

It is important to note that some very dark toned blue beryl, also known as maxixe beryl, is not a stable color, and irradiated to get that color. You do not want maxixe beryl, so it is important to differentiate, and hopefully a lab can tell the treatment. I don't know for sure.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
colorluvr|1308160826|2946733 said:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/9-1ct-natural-unheated-aquamarine-in-18k-wg-setting.161539/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/9-1ct-natural-unheated-aquamarine-in-18k-wg-setting.161539/[/URL]

The oval in the photo next to the ring is currently at AGL getting certed, and hopefully will verify that it is unheated. As TL stated, mine is not as dark as the one in the photo, but it is very saturated. Also, the stone in the ring is from Mozambique (according to the seller) and not from Brazil.

I wouldn't venture a guess what a nice aquamarine from Brazil is worth per carat. I didn't pay anything close to $400 a carat for mine, but I also think I got quite lucky. I bought all three that the vendor had from this lot because I didn't think I'd get lucky enough to come across any this color and clarity again at the price I paid. Unfortunately, the largest one that I hope to put in a pendant some day is still on layaway, but I'm hoping to get it by the end of the month.

Yes, I remember this thread. Beautiful stones.

Is Aqua from Brazil more expensive?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bright ice|1308162147|2946754 said:

There is an old mined out deposit of Aquamarine from Brazil, called Santa Maria aquamarine, which was known for it's very dark tone. That stone you're looking at may be from that deposit if it's old, but an origin report may be required. I'm not sure if there is a premium on Santa Maria aqua, and some African material rivals it. The Queen of England has a beautiful Santa Maria aquamarine matching suite of a bracelet, earrings, brooch, and tiara, that she wears frequently. It was gifted to her from the State of Brazil, and they are about as good as it gets for the Santa Maria color. You will be able to google the suite online. Just google "The Queen's Aquamarine Tiara"

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1308162448|2946762 said:
bright ice|1308162147|2946754 said:

There is an old mined out deposit of Aquamarine from Brazil, called Santa Maria aquamarine, which was known for it's very dark tone. That stone you're looking at may be from that deposit if it's old, but an origin report may be required. I'm not sure if there is a premium on Santa Maria aqua, and some African material rivals it. The Queen of England has a beautiful Santa Maria aquamarine matching suite of a bracelet, earrings, brooch, and tiara, that she wears frequently. It was gifted to her from the State of Brazil, and they are about as good as it gets for the Santa Maria color. You will be able to google the suite online. Just google "The Queen's Aquamarine Tiara"

I am familiar with Santa Maria aquamarine . This one appears it may be.

This gem is from a collector that was a former gemstone dealer and expert per the contact.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The last time I saw Santa Maria for sale was when I was 12. I was at a gem dealer with my parents, as they were looking for an aqua for my graduation present from grade school. They had some very very dark toned aquas, almost sapphire like. This was a few decades back, so it is rare material for sale these days. I'm sure you can get it from old collections, but I haven't seen anything "new" on the market in eons.

Suffice to say, my parents bought me a very light toned aqua, as they were not ready to spend that much money on a 12 year old gem noob. :lol: It was still a thrilling gift at that age.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MontageCreations|1308165885|2946826 said:
TL said:
The last time I saw Santa Maria for sale was when I was 12. I was at a gem dealer with my parents, as they were looking for an aqua for my graduation present from grade school. They had some very very dark toned aquas, almost sapphire like. This was a few decades back, so it is rare material for sale these days. I'm sure you can get it from old collections, but I haven't seen anything "new" on the market in eons.

Suffice to say, my parents bought me a very light toned aqua, as they were not ready to spend that much money on a 12 year old gem noob. :lol: It was still a thrilling gift at that age.

Ah, Now I see where all that animosity for 'cough cough beryl cough cough', stems from.... your parents denied you a fine Aqua :naughty:

I will try to appease you with a photo of a SM Aqua, I bought the rough about 30 years ago, this stone is portuguese cut 9.98 ct.

GORGEOUS :love: :love: :love:

The color is similar to the one I am looking at.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MontageCreations|1308165885|2946826 said:
Ah, Now I see where all that animosity for 'cough cough beryl cough cough', stems from.... your parents denied you a fine Aqua :naughty:

I will try to appease you with a photo of a SM Aqua, I bought the rough about 30 years ago, this stone is portuguese cut 9.98 ct.

Not really, it's just that most of them lack saturation, but not ALL!! That's why I mentioned colorlvr's, as it has nice saturation.

Yes, the one you posted reminds me of the ones I saw 30 years back as well. Time flies, but they were almost greyish blue sapphire like in the color, such deep tone.

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
I think I remember the stone you are looking at. Isn't it from a collection? The reason I ask, I seem to remember photographs that had the gems in groups. Since you said you can't get another photo, can you check and see if you can see the stone in a photo with others?

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pink Tower|1308170435|2946880 said:
I think I remember the stone you are looking at. Isn't it from a collection? The reason I ask, I seem to remember photographs that had the gems in groups. Since you said you can't get another photo, can you check and see if you can see the stone in a photo with others?

Yes, it is from a private collection. I don't see another group photo. There is one of a tourmaline parcel.

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
I also have this little aquamarine in an antique (40's ???) setting. It's a little guy, maybe 6 or 6.5mm. I don't know anything about the stone except that it is an aquamarine. My jeweler fell in love with the ring and the stone. It appears to be the color of the older Brazilian aquas, but I'd have to have it certed to be sure.

The ring is going to take a lot of TLC to be wearable (needs a new shank) and I was going to sell it, but I've changed my mind and I'm just going to put it on the back burner for now, but I thought I'd share to show the color of the stone.

aqua antique.JPG

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
colorluvr|1308176992|2946957 said:
I also have this little aquamarine in an antique (40's ???) setting. It's a little guy, maybe 6 or 6.5mm. I don't know anything about the stone except that it is an aquamarine. My jeweler fell in love with the ring and the stone. It appears to be the color of the older Brazilian aquas, but I'd have to have it certed to be sure.

The ring is going to take a lot of TLC to be wearable (needs a new shank) and I was going to sell it, but I've changed my mind and I'm just going to put it on the back burner for now, but I thought I'd share to show the color of the stone.

Very pretty color!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought it :$$): It should be here in a few days!

4.31ct Aqua.png

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bright ice|1308259685|2947745 said:

Wow, bright ice!!! I never saw an aquamarine like that! It's amazing! Seeing it after seeing what I was used to thinking of as aquamarines reminds me of seeing my tanzanite after seeing what often passes as tanzanite in mall jewelry stores and even among serious gem dealers. I have a friend who told me, years ago, she had expensive aquamarine jewelry. I am, for the first time, tempted to ask her about it. (I have never see it because we live on different coasts, but now I may request a photograph!)

What a fabulous stone! (I happen to love light toned aquas, too!) Blue looks better on my ears than any other color anyway!

Deb/AGBF
:read:

Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1308276959|2948009 said:
bright ice|1308259685|2947745 said:

Wow, bright ice!!! I never saw an aquamarine like that! It's amazing! Seeing it after seeing what I was used to thinking of as aquamarines reminds me of seeing my tanzanite after seeing what often passes as tanzanite in mall jewelry stores and even among serious gem dealers. I have a friend who told me, years ago, she had expensive aquamarine jewelry. I am, for the first time, tempted to ask her about it. (I have never see it because we live on different coasts, but now I may request a photograph!)

What a fabulous stone! (I happen to love light toned aquas, too!) Blue looks better on my ears than any other color anyway!

Deb/AGBF
:read:

Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend

AGBF, I hope it is all that I anticipate it to be. The owner has a significant history in the diamond and gem trade and it is from his personal collection so it should be a special gem.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is the estimated ETA? Looks to be a lovely SM aquamarine although with the dark background and lack of light, it's difficult to tell since the darkness of the room also makes the tone of the aquamarine look darker as well.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You'll have to take some pics and let us know! I'm particularly curious because I bought the blue tourmaline from this collection (and only had one dark pic to go on), but had it shipped to a friend in the US so I won't get it for a few weeks. That is a gorgeous aqua!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
NKOTB|1308315424|2948278 said:
You'll have to take some pics and let us know! I'm particularly curious because I bought the blue tourmaline from this collection (and only had one dark pic to go on), but had it shipped to a friend in the US so I won't get it for a few weeks. That is a gorgeous aqua!

Please take photos of the tourmaline when you get it. I hope the gems are better than the photos are!

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
Wow! That's seriously blue aquamarine ::) (similar to a maxixe beryl)
excited to see more RL photos

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you get it yet?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results