shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions needed!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dmax187

Rough_Rock

Hi everybody! The time has come for me to propose to my girlfriend and I am both excited and nervous about the whole endeavor. A while back, I took her ring shopping and here is what I know about her tastes for a fact: she prefers a platinum setting, round cut diamond, a low or bezzled setting (so it won’t catch on gloves), an heirloom or antique style, and she doesn’t like the 3 stone setting. In doing my own shopping, I have determined that the center diamond that I would be buying would be in the neighborhood of 1.25-1.5 carats, VS1 or VS2, G or H color in a round, ideal cut diamond. So far, the ring that I like best for her is the one that I have attached:

One of the rings that she like had sapphire’s IN the band, and I know that she likes the idea of them. However, since these have them as more pronounced side stones, I’m a bit unsure. How great a risk would I be taking if I bought this ring based on what I know and think? Would this ring elicit the ooohhhs and aaahhs from her friends (since that is probably half the fun of having it)? Is this ring style too different from the norm to get the reaction that I would hope for, or should I get something more conventional?

I would greatly appreciate your opinions and honesty. Thanks in advance for the help!

2628RDSP_multi.jpg

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
It''s wonderful that you want to get something your FI will love but this setting, (looks like a Tacori) is a 3-stone and sits high with the stone above the halo.

tacori3stonesaph.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Max and welcome!

I think its a beautiful setting and provided you find a well cut stone, you should have a superb ring to present to your GF! Do you plan to buy the diamond online or from a jewellery store?

suzannea

Shiny_Rock
Trade
to be honest- I would have a friend or family memeber of hers ask her to be sure- some people may like the colored side stones but if she doesn''t like 3 stones I wouldn''t go with that- it looks like a 3 stone ring to me. I would try to be discreet and get more info- not only becuase of money but it''s so wonderful when you get it just right and surprise her. congrats!

Firestone

Shiny_Rock
What did the ring with sapphires look like? Does it look like the one you posted? Did it have sapphire sidestones? You either love or hate the look. The ring you posted looks like a Tacori 2628. I wasn''t aware that it was available with sapphires.

karpouzi

Shiny_Rock
Are we allowed to just throw out suggestions?
27.gif
If so, I'd search the forums for James Meyer rings and/or take a visit to his web site. Gorgeous bezeled solitaires (or with sidestones) and they have that antique feel. Not sure if he works in all platinum, though.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tacori rings sit very high off the hand, although they are lovely antique looking styles. And that is sort of a three stone. I don''t think that sapphs will look good in the step cuts that are the sides in that ring. Sorry!
15.gif

I would go for Ritani endless love over a tacori, it is lower set, bezeled so no catching on things, antique looking, and it is not a three stone:

Handshots:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/engaged-to-the-love-of-my-life-with-the-ring-of-my-dreams.25159/

Vendor:
http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/ritani-jewelry/rings/08QQ1/7/

Firestone

Shiny_Rock
http://www.tacori.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/bridesjulyaug09email1.jpg

That tacori is a really beautiful ring. Some tacoris sit higher than others. You can check out the ring at a local jeweler.

dmax187

Rough_Rock

Thanks for all of the feedback. I was planning on buying the diamond through the jeweler I would get the setting from, but that isn''t a given since I haven''t bought anything yet. It is a Tacori 2628 RDSP, which is the same as the other but with sapphires instead of diamonds on the side. Please do keep sending in suggestions if you have them, the more the better.

My worry all along with the sapphires is that they were too prominent and that it might detract from the luster of the diamond, is that normally the case? In the stores I''ve been to, these rings don''t seem to sit that much higher than most, but since she has to change latex gloves after each patient she sees, my only concern with the height would be it catching on these tight-ish gloves, in which case a cathedral setting would be out.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Congralutlations and best of luck!!!!

The ring you posted is very pretty, but to me it does look like a three stone. Also it sits up quite high.

If you can find a pic similar to the setting she liked with sapphires in the band we can help you find something.

If she likes low or bezeled settings I think that the ritani endless love might be a better choice. Or a custom bezel like Neatfreak''s (she has a cushion), similar to the Tiffany bezel series but a little more delicate, fluid, and low-set.

Then you can get a blingy wedding band if you want more sparkle...

Firestone

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/18/2010 2:36:59 PM
Author: dmax187

Thanks for all of the feedback. I was planning on buying the diamond through the jeweler I would get the setting from, but that isn''t a given since I haven''t bought anything yet. It is a Tacori 2628 RDSP, which is the same as the other but with sapphires instead of diamonds on the side. Please do keep sending in suggestions if you have them, the more the better.

My worry all along with the sapphires is that they were too prominent and that it might detract from the luster of the diamond, is that normally the case? In the stores I''ve been to, these rings don''t seem to sit that much higher than most, but since she has to change latex gloves after each patient she sees, my only concern with the height would be it catching on these tight-ish gloves, in which case a cathedral setting would be out.

I don''t think the sapphires would detract from the center stone. Tacori sets their sidestones in such a manner so they don''t detract. But bottomline, you either like the look of sapphires and diamonds or you don''t. If concerned about the height, bring some latex gloves to the jewelers and check it out. It really is a beautiful ring. If you are concerned about the sapphires, have the ring done with diamond sidestones instead of sapphires.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results