shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions needed on yellow diamond an pear mahenge

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
TL, I just had a vision! What do you think about combining those two stones into a pendant? I can see the yellow diamond in a yellow gold bezel slider setting acting as the "bail" and the mahenge pear dangling from that set in white gold. :naughty: Might not be what you had in mind but thought I'd share anyway. It looks good in my head and would help with the different shapes look like they belonged together and not feel like the two stones are competing, IMO. ;-) I can also see it with a small bezel white diamond between them.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
tourmaline_lover said:
Thanks for the opinions!

Here's a clearer shot in the shade in the evening (late daytime hours), where the Mahenge is not showing any fluor. The diamond is also in it's natural color (no fluor).

When putting them together, I wasn't so concerned as much as the pink stone overpowering the yellow since I thought of the yellow diamond as more of an accent stone, like a white diamond would be. However, people do have a point in stating that opinion. I really appreciate it. I love the photos of bypass ideas too. Thank you all so much!!! :appl:

Uppy that last bypass ring you posted is fabulous. I didn't realize they could be situated like that. Really cool!

I think its a matter of HOW you put the ring together. That pink needs something equally as strong in a traditional bypass setting..I hope that a more custom option would help tie them together better. The diamond is really lovely but that pink really does outshine it by a mile. Thats just my opinon, take it with a grain of sand ya know... :loopy:

-A

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian said:
tourmaline_lover said:
Thanks for the opinions!

Here's a clearer shot in the shade in the evening (late daytime hours), where the Mahenge is not showing any fluor. The diamond is also in it's natural color (no fluor).

When putting them together, I wasn't so concerned as much as the pink stone overpowering the yellow since I thought of the yellow diamond as more of an accent stone, like a white diamond would be. However, people do have a point in stating that opinion. I really appreciate it. I love the photos of bypass ideas too. Thank you all so much!!! :appl:

Uppy that last bypass ring you posted is fabulous. I didn't realize they could be situated like that. Really cool!

I think its a matter of HOW you put the ring together. That pink needs something equally as strong in a traditional bypass setting..I hope that a more custom option would help tie them together better. The diamond is really lovely but that pink really does outshine it by a mile. Thats just my opinon, take it with a grain of sand ya know... :loopy:

-A

Thank you for your opinion Arcadian. I think it's unfair that I compared these stones in static photos since I'm always saying that colored diamonds need to be seen IRL to understand why they're so beautiful. Often they may not have the best color in terms of a colored gem, but they are really beautiful in person, and that's why I lumped these two stones together. I think perhaps yellow clashes with pink, but I do think in person, the colored diamond really holds it's own next to the spinel.

Thanks again for your opinion. :))

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Any more ideas, TL?? I liked the suggestion of putting them together in a pendant.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Uppy,
But I hate pendants (for me, not other people). I'm still debating. Someone :Up_to_something: owes me an anniversary present, so I'm deciding what to do with my colored diamonds. I thought lumping one with a pear Mahenge or putting several of my round ones together in a band, or something. It will probably have to be custom, but I'm not paying for it. :naughty:

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I like how you think! :Up_to_something:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they'd look good together with the right design and metal. White gold seems too common for such an unusual combination. I think metal of another color would help marry the stones. Have you considered a very dark metal (I think those colors would look smashing in a black setting) or green, rose, pink gold?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Matata, I was thinking 18K yellow gold for these two.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
]To me the colors don't really go together, perhaps if you added a third stone in the orangey-pink region it would tie them together.

[attachment=0]02500000.png[/attachment

00000rig.jpeg

02500000.png

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like a pink diamond? :naughty:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well diamonds are always groovy ( I love salmon ones) but I added a sapphire of a color I think would be harmonious to my post above, though I think the shape should be the same as one of the originals.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have an orangey pink spinel around 1.5 carats.

TLpadspinelpear2.JPG

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I don't have much to add - I am surprised to see so many examples of a pear and marquis in a bypass ring. Only on PS!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's a photo in natural diffused light with a brownish pink pear and, a pink oval, the yellow. The window in the spinel is a tilt window. Sorry for the fuzzy photograph. My camera has a hard time focusing in on very small sparkly things such as diamonds. Should I use one of those stones instead, or a combination, or just scrap the entire project? I don't think I would like my pear padapradscha colored spinel with it because it's bigger than this spinel. I do have a salmony diamond, but it's sleepy, so I'm not sure it would be a good contrast.

TLspinelwdiamonds.JPG

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
TL, the shapes will together just fine but I am not sure about the color. They both have strong color and are very pretty on their own. Putting them together kind of make them loosing their own statements. Playing with strong colors work out well for semi-precious stones where less brilliance is expected. But here is a diamond and a spinel with high RI. Just my 2 cents.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i think that color-wise they sould be fine together. I do not know if their transparence is equal though. If spjnel is slightlly sleepier -the diamond may outshine it. A pendant should help to avoid any clash of two stones. Another idea was actually mentioned in pwendyp's post, I think Louise O'Neil's name has been mentioned? A ring like this... only two bezeled stones set at different angles... might work even with the stones of your form. That will diminish any "clash"

http://www.louiseoneill.com/rings2.html

Sorry you have to click on lowest right ring ... pink stones. I tried to paste direct link to it but it did not work out.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Uppy said:
I found this ring on the MaeVona fb page

OMG! I love Uppy's latest example :love:, I am not so much into logr's design though :p

I think its a cool match, the size and proportion goes well together:)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Design-wise, I love Uppy’s suggestion of having the pear sit at an angle to the marquise. It’s unique, yet fits together very well. However, the colour of the two together does not do anything for me. I’m not saying that I don’t like the colour of your stones. They are great colours individually but as a combo, they seem odd to my eye. In addition, you are perhaps adding too much contrast by having one sleepy-ish and the other extremely fiery?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The spinel is not sleepy at all, it's very crystal, just my fuzzy photos make it look that way. The diamonds are also crystal clear and very sparkly. I've seen yellow diamonds paired with rubies, so that's why I thought maybe this combo might have a chance, but there's also more orange in some rubies, and perhaps that's why yellow goes better with them.

Thanks again for all the honest opinons!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL,
I’ll take your word for it that the Mahenge isn’t sleepy then because I was basing my comments based on what I see in your pictures. I can see a ruby + yellow diamond combo only in very specific cases; a large bluish red ruby with small accent yellow diamonds. The reason for the yellow gold being used with the bluish red ruby is to tamp down the blue undertone, thus making the ruby appear redder to the eye. I think small accent yellow diamonds are a good compliment for the same reason; they tamp down the blue and make the ruby appear redder, plus being smaller, they do not “compete” with the ruby.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
71306_Y_D.jpg

You know, the more I think about this project, the more I'm loving the prospect of it!!! Again, I love unique pieces. I just saw this while cruising the stock settings on Stuller. I know its not appropriate as is, but I thought it was an interesting take on having the marquise horizontally on the bottom with the pear set on the horizontal above it. If it were me, I'd go with Etienne, but have them mounted in this orientation. I also LOVE the idea of going with green gold, to embrace the difference of colors of the stones.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Chrono, Uppy,

Uppy,
That last ring is so unique and something I can envision for myself, but I don't know what to do!! ;(

I'm so confused!!! :wacko:

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
tourmaline_lover said:
Thanks Chrono, Uppy,

Uppy,
That last ring is so unique and something I can envision for myself, but I don't know what to do!! ;(

I'm so confused!!! :wacko:

Trust your gut, TL! What's important is what is esthetically pleasing to YOU!! I'm certainly one to go against the grain if it is something that feels right to me. Take a look at my star sapphire ring for instance. I'm confident that in a crowd of 100 people, 66 would say they did not like it at all, 25 might say they thought it was cool, but I'd guess that only 9 would say they would love to wear it! Get input, but make your own choices, and then revel in them!!!!!!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the MaeVona orientation Uppy posted on the 1st page. I think I can see them together in my mind. Eye catching for sure!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
TL-I believe that your Mahenge and YD combo would make a stunning bypass ring.

I personally love the two colors together and suspect that they are even better looking IRL.

I think that the one thing that could make or break the ring is the metal combos that are chosen. I have a feeling that if both the stones and the shank are the same metal, the design will be lost. Depending on the tone of the stones IRL, I would be tempted to set the YD in YG and the Mahenge in either RG(if possible) or WG with a WG shank. I think a tri-colored ring would be fabulous, if the stones allow.

Good luck with your final decision, I can't wait to see what you decide to do with these stones!!!

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
TL, maybe you want to start another thread asking for someone to do photoshop of these beauties onto one of the rings and play around with the different metals? This way it might help you forward with your decision! Just a suggestion, ignore me if this is not what you want! :wink2:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Megeve,
Thanks to you and everyone's suggestions. I noticed that Uppy and Stepcutnut ,and the regular colored diamond junkies, like the stones together, but not the colored gem junkies. Funny.

If someone wants to photoshop them together in this thread, go for it!! I appreciate all the advice and help, I really do.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I wish I had photoshop skills, because I think the right design for these could be very cool! Sadly, I have a hard time with cut and paste. :(sad

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm only good w/crayolas.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
TL, I'm late coming into this thread, but I actually love the yellow and pear together. The yellow is a gorgeous intense orangy yellow color, and I think it can hold its own against the pear. If it was a pale or light yellow, I can see it being overpowered by the pear.

I am envisioning a bypass ring in white or rose gold. With yellow, I think the yellow marquise may blend in the yellow gold. With white, the focus will be on the stones. With rose, the pink tone may help blend the pear with the metal, helping the yellow stand out. But there's the clash issue. But I love rose gold anyway!

Are you going custom with this or try to get LOGR to modify an existing setting like this one?

015a[1].jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results