shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions needed on transitional M colored diamond

Eelh77

Rough_Rock
Hi all! Could use your expertise on a diamond I am considering. I’ve attached the Gia report and some pictures. I’ve also attached the setting I’m considering. Curious if it looks good? My current engagement ring is 1ct cushion cut with a halo and is G colored so I’m a tiny bit worried about the M coloring. The seller (loveaffairdiamonds) said it faces up pretty white but has some warmth from the sides. I’m wondering if I should do a yellow gold/Rose gold on the basket/prongs to help with the warmth? Thoughts? And how do the diamond stats look? Not super familiar with all of the GIA jargon. Thank you in advance.

77905163-D3BC-4BD6-BC33-F57270D0175D.jpeg B1736647-6770-4191-BFD0-68397B89A95A.jpeg A3929CA4-BA4F-4F28-8C97-E7E057D2FF63.jpeg BD5C49EF-FF60-46DD-AC0F-9DF418F81CD1.jpeg DAD0C8FD-56DB-43E5-977C-841ED429FACB.jpeg 947C1F2A-276C-4317-B221-33791D62E3E4.jpeg 55A5109C-9C08-4CAC-B79D-3B0D6E41F4C6.jpeg

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi all! Could use your expertise on a diamond I am considering. I’ve attached the Gia report and some pictures. I’ve also attached the setting I’m considering. Curious if it looks good? My current engagement ring is 1ct cushion cut with a halo and is G colored so I’m a tiny bit worried about the M coloring. The seller (loveaffairdiamonds) said it faces up pretty white but has some warmth from the sides. I’m wondering if I should do a yellow gold/Rose gold on the basket/prongs to help with the warmth? Thoughts? And how do the diamond stats look? Not super familiar with all of the GIA jargon. Thank you in advance.

77905163-D3BC-4BD6-BC33-F57270D0175D.jpeg B1736647-6770-4191-BFD0-68397B89A95A.jpeg A3929CA4-BA4F-4F28-8C97-E7E057D2FF63.jpeg BD5C49EF-FF60-46DD-AC0F-9DF418F81CD1.jpeg DAD0C8FD-56DB-43E5-977C-841ED429FACB.jpeg 947C1F2A-276C-4317-B221-33791D62E3E4.jpeg 55A5109C-9C08-4CAC-B79D-3B0D6E41F4C6.jpeg

The stone does appear to face up very white for an “M” color! You may want to use a rose gold basket & prongs to try to camouflage the tint; white cold & platinum will accentuate the warmth in that stone.

Eelh77

Rough_Rock
The stone does appear to face up very white for an “M” color! You may want to use a rose gold basket & prongs to try to camouflage the tint; white cold & platinum will accentuate the warmth in that stone.

Yes was exactly what I was thinking! Thank you

tlfiore

Shiny_Rock
@Eelh77 OMG...this is too funny! May I ask where you first spotted the setting? Do you mind sharing the details of your search? I've ogled this setting for over a year now. I just love everything about it! Thanks!

Eelh77

Rough_Rock
@Eelh77 OMG...this is too funny! May I ask where you first spotted the setting? Do you mind sharing the details of your search? I've ogled this setting for over a year now. I just love everything about it! Thanks!

I found @DanniiD s post and kind of went from there! I googled OEC and somehow came across it and was instantly obsessed!

tlfiore

Shiny_Rock
@Eelh77 thank you for your response! As an aside, I love mine cuts, antique cushion cuts (not the replicas), OECs (not the replicas)...I love them all. I personally do not like MRB, kaleidoscope, fire-works kinda diamonds at all, Hearts 'n Arrows, etc. It's all personal taste.

I love the warmth of the old stones, especially the OECs and how they grab flashes of pastel color. And I love the wonderment and the history behind them.

I think the Transitional Cut you are looking at is gorgeous! It is a lovely diamond.

@Matthews1127 knows her stuff and she has offered some very helpful & wise information.

To help you a bit, this is my "original" 2.43 OEC from Old World Diamonds. It is a Q/R, VS2, chunky facet pattern (not a huge floral center) and so so so pretty. My diamond is currently on consignment with Erica @ Love Affair Diamonds. I can tell you in my experience, Erica does not misrepresent her inventory at all.

Frankly, when this 2.43 OEC was in the two-tone CvB Casablanca Setting, it faced up TOTALLY white. From the sides, you can see some warm coppery brown.

For me, when I had a custom CvB platinum setting designed for that 2.43 OEC, it didn't work at all. Most of it was due to the overall size of the 2.43 in the custom setting and how HIGH the entire thing sat/was set. But for me, some of it was the color contrast of the Q/R in a 100% platinum setting. Now you are looking at an M, which is not a Q/R. Let me show you a few photos, okay?

fullsizeoutput_16.jpeg
2.43 OEC, Q/R, VS2 in highly antiqued, patinated, pre-loved CvB Casablanca Setting

CvB Finished Lyre.JPG
2.43 OEC, Q/R, VS2 in a custom CvB all platinum setting with a vintage platinum & diamond eternity band

IMG_5280.jpeg
A beautiful 1.91 OEC, I, VS1 in the same custom setting, same platinum eternity band

Casablanca.1.jpg
The same 2.43 OEC in the Casablanca Setting with my 1.60 ctw 3/4 Platinum & Diamond Eternity Band. The diamonds in my 3/4 eternity band are E/F, VVS. The Q/R OEC looks nice, doesn't it???

See the color differences???

Last edited:

Eelh77

Rough_Rock
@Eelh77 thank you for your response! As an aside, I love mine cuts, antique cushion cuts (not the replicas), OECs (not the replicas)...I love them all. I personally do not like MRB, kaleidoscope, fire-works kinda diamonds at all, Hearts 'n Arrows, etc. It's all personal taste.

I love the warmth of the old stones, especially the OECs and how they grab flashes of pastel color. And I love the wonderment and the history behind them.

To help you a bit, this is my "original" 2.43 OEC from Old World Diamonds. It is a Q/R, VS2, chunky facet pattern (not a huge floral center) and so so so pretty. My diamond is currently on consignment with Erica @ Love Affair Diamonds. I can tell you in my experience, Erica does not misrepresent her inventory at all.

Frankly, when this 2.43 OEC was in the two-tone CvB Casablanca Setting, it faced up TOTALLY white. From the sides, you can see some warm coppery, brown.

For me, when I had a custom CvB platinum setting designed for that 2.43 OEC, it didn't work at all. Most of it was due to the overall size of the 2.43 in the custom setting and how HIGH the entire thing sat/was set. But for me, some of it was the color contrast of the Q/R in a 100% platinum setting. Now you are looking at an M, which is not a Q/R. Let me show you a few photos, okay?

fullsizeoutput_16.jpeg
2.43 OEC, Q/R, VS2 in highly antiqued, patinated, pre-loved CvB Casablanca Setting

CvB Finished Lyre.JPG
2.43 OEC, Q/R, VS2 in a custom CvB all platinum setting with a vintage platinum & diamond eternity band

IMG_5280.jpeg
A beautiful 1.91 OEC, I, VS1 in the same custom setting, same platinum eternity band

Casablanca.1.jpg
The same 2.43 OEC in the Casablanca Setting with my 1.60 ctw 3/4 Platinum & Diamond Eternity Band. The diamonds in my 3/4 eternity band are E/F, VVS. The Q/R OEC looks nice, doesn't it???

See the color differences???

Absolutely stunning!! Thank you for the photos and insight. So happy to hear good reviews about Erica!

I too love the history and character of these old stones. Thank you again for sharing!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That setting style is great, but that particular one is too thin. It very likely won't hold up long term. I'd only make it if they do at least 2mm for the shank. I would only do the head in platinum, and shoulders and shank can be gold or platinum.

The diamond looks really pretty! I'd send for it to look at to be sure you're happy with the color.

Eelh77

Rough_Rock
That setting style is great, but that particular one is too thin. It very likely won't hold up long term. I'd only make it if they do at least 2mm for the shank. I would only do the head in platinum, and shoulders and shank can be gold or platinum.

The diamond looks really pretty! I'd send for it to look at to be sure you're happy with the color.
Thank you!! Appreciate the advice and insight.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Eelh77

Rough_Rock
I realize these are not the same style, but Victor Canera makes some rings with tri-wire shanks that still look delicate in person, but they are more sturdy and long-lasting.

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/vintage-bezeled-heart-shaped-ring

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/vintage-halo-with-tri-wire-shank-and-cac

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/vintage-asscher-halo-with-tri-wire-shank

Ah! Thank you again! Those are stunning and I see what you mean about the thicker and sturdier shanks. I definitely want a ring that will last long term so I greatly appreciate it the links!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results