shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions needed on e-ring!

calin

Rough_Rock
Hello and thanks in advance

Getting ready to pull the trigger on a surprise e-ring for my up-coming 30th anniversary trip where we will renew our vows.

Decided to go with Victor and a selection from his Ideal Hearts Collection. It will be set it in his Jocelyn with Scalloped Basket.

I am planning to pair this with a plain wedding band (no money left!) that he can hopefully make to compliment the Jocelyn

I wanted to stay within the H - VS1 range - but I want the stone to face up as big as possible and to compliment the beautiful setting so I need your advice

Do I trade my H down to I to get a bigger diamond? - Is the size difference between these H an I selections below even worth it?

H

https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/8uq4h9-1.230-h-vs2-ideal-hearts-arrows-round

https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/xhdz8d-1.205-h-vs2-ideal-hearts-arrows-round

https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/3pdewn-1.181-h-vs2-ideal-hearts-arrows-round

I
https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/ags104087777009-1.314-i-vs2-ideal-hearts-arrows-round

https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/5y7429-1.302-i-vs2-ideal-hearts-arrows-round

Open to any other suggestions as well - want to be sure I get this right

thanks

OECrystal

Shiny_Rock
Congrats on your anniversary!

I think diamond color is a personal preference. I would almost always choose lower color and bigger size. But that is me. I have an L color diamond and the warmth does not bother me at all. My understanding is that if the diamond is well cut, it should face up "whiter." I also think most people would have a very hard time telling the difference between and H and I color stone. My vote would be to go for the bigger stone!

As far as clarity goes, this is really hit or miss. If the inclusions are toward the edges of the stone and do not pose any structural issues, they can be hidden with prongs. If toward the middle or under the table, they will be more visible. Two stones with the same clarity rating can look vastly different depending on type and location of the inclusions. If you are sensitive to inclusions and do not want to see any in your diamond, I would say stick to VS or higher.

Let Victor know what you prefer as far as size within your budget and color/clarity range and I am sure he will help you to choose a beautiful stone. All of his work that I have seen is spectacular. You cannot go wrong working with VC.

Looking forward to seeing the ring!

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with OECrystal above in that color is such a personal choice. While she would drop in color to get a bigger size, I wouldn't choose the same thing in a MRB (I would agree with her if we were talking about an old cut!). I color is usually where people start to notice tint but it's really about whether or not that tint will bother you or the wearer. I'm in the camp of paying for what you can see...since I can see color easily, I'd much rather pay for an H and have an eye clean SI1 or VS2! :halo:

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
n64bomb|1475855212|4084491 said:
The information about color on this website is lacking.

Huh? :lol: I find that so interesting, as I actually discovered these boards after searching the web for more information about color grading. So many posts, so helpful! I guess YMMV :roll:

n64bomb

Rough_Rock
Trade
I'm talking about actual correct helpful information that will provide the information for a newbie to select a good color without overpaying. That isn't available on this site on the knowledge links on this website; the information on color under the knowledge link for pricescope won't help a new person very much. Also, pricescope has kind of a reputation with some other forums as being diamond snobs, especially with color. I'm not saying every person is like that, and that isn't my personal opinion, but it was rather frustrating when I had someone on pricescope try to give me a lecture on diamond color when I had to explain to the person that mounted diamonds pick up some of the color setting and is why H,I,J RBC with same cut will face up similarly, especially as the diamond gets smaller. I think the people in the industry on this website know their stuff on color. With others, some do, and some think they do, but really don't. I don't have any problem with anyone personally on the pricescope, and I just want buyers to make informed decisions on color. If the person is educated and really wants F-G color, awesome! I'm all for it! But if the buyer doesn't have enough knowledge and hasn't been shown differences and just buys a high color, that is upsetting. I just want people to not overpay and be happy, same as everyone else here. :wavey:

newjourney

Rough_Rock
n64bomb|1475864673|4084531 said:
... when I had to explain to the person that mounted diamonds pick up some of the color setting and is why H,I,J RBC with same cut will face up similarly, especially as the diamond gets smaller...

I think this generalization is rather narrow. Unless the diamond is in a bezel setting, subtle tint can be detected viewing from the side going from H to J. No one exclusively views their diamond ring solely from the top down.
Reading tutorials is helpful, but one should really see color difference in person to decide on color tolerance.

n64bomb

Rough_Rock
Trade
I do agree that looking at color in person is the best way to learn. :)

It is true the color will be more noticeable from the side and also when the stone is loose or from the bottom. My point, however, that I was hinting at, is that one should not make recommendations without at least a baseline of knowledge to help the other person. If one doesn't understand how many different colors will face up the same when mounted (and the color is more noticeable from the side or when the stone is loose), then that person really isn't qualified to make recommendations on color, especially recommending an F-G stone off the bat to a noobie with 0/unknown diamond knowledge who can easily be intentionally or unintentionally steered in one direction. Our goal should be to provide the right information so the buyer makes the most informed choice, not to steer him/her intentionally or unintentionally. By not providing an honest, upfront dialogue to a buyer who doesn't have diamond knowledge, the person can be unintentionally swayed due to a lack of knowledge. Same thing if the person doesn't know how fluorescence affects color, or how size of the diamond, shape, or quality of cut can affect the color visibility. We owe it to buyers to explain these things to them. That is why I posted a link in my signature. That site has the best noobie information to help them make an informed decision while not overwhelming them. It would be nice if we could put something under the knowledge resources in this forum that is more detailed for color than what is currently there. Pricescope does have expert information for professionals and in the forums on color, but the information for a person just searching for 1 ring...that is much more personal and basic. For example, a gia chart of different hues and colors and a discussion of them is not for someone just starting out looking at RBCs.

I guess if you think that is narrowminded, have at it. People buy engagement quality diamonds to have them mounted and look at them from the top down. Yes, the difference is noticeable from the side, bottom, and loose. Duh. They are RBC diamonds. My point is that the stone buyer should understand how those different color grades can look the same from the top when mounted, and make an informed decision with that knowledge. The buyer should also know how fluorescence, size, shape, and cut quality affect color. And if the person is buying a small diamond that is a round brilliant cut and and ideal cut, it will be significantly harder to find the color difference from the side or bottom. Informed buyers need to be told that the more light the stone reflects, the more it will mask the yellow color, and the bigger the stone is, the harder it becomes to mask the color. It isn't a cut and dry scenario with how easily one can detect color difference in a stone; it is several factors. It isn't just a "J"...OMG that stone is so yellow! Let's help them look at all the factors. How big is the stone? What is the shape? What is the cut quality of the stone? What does it look like in person? What color fluorescence does it have, and how strong is that fluorescence?

I just want to provide information so the person can make their choice. If they want to pay a premium for a super ideal, great. If they ask me for good specs, am I going to give them super ideal diamond proportions and tell them to stay within that range without giving them a disclaimer of how much more that would cost and there are other more budget affordable stones very very close in quality at a significantly lower price? No. I think people are being unintentionally steered in one direction or another sometimes on the forums.

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
n64bomb|1476015445|4085005 said:
I just want to provide information so the person can make their choice.

So much time and so many words tilting at windmills. If someone regularly read responses to queries about stones on Rocky Talky they'd see some version of 'is-there-a-cultural-reason-you-want-such-a-high-color-because-you-could-go-lower' so many times, combined with 'color-is-personal-best-to-look-in-person' one would wonder if it's copy/pasted, our version of the IT Crowd's "Did you try turning it off and on again?"

OP: :wavey: regarding your question about size difference, is it appreciable, etc., you could try the website d i a m d b .com (remove spaces) to play around with visual estimates of different size stones.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results