shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions? Image/Specs/Idealscope Included...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BAreEhD

Rough_Rock

Hi Everyone,

I''m wondering if you could please tell me what you think of this diamond? The price is $5629 from Whiteflash.

GIA_1481635.gif

BAreEhD

Rough_Rock
Hmmm... I don''t have one.

Will request one from WF.

Any initial impressions?

BAreEhD

Rough_Rock
I''m not sure I fully understand, Gary. Are you saying that it looks like it has potential, but the ASET will give a better indication?

Sorry, I realize I''m showing my noobness... I''ve been reading this site for weeks - I just find there''s a HUGE amount of info to absorb!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/2/2007 5:25:45 PM
Author: BAreEhD
I''m not sure I fully understand, Gary. Are you saying that it looks like it has potential, but the ASET will give a better indication?
exactly
1.gif

BAreEhD

Rough_Rock
Here''s the ASET image...

What''s the verdict?

AST_GIA14851359.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/3/2007 3:51:25 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
Symmetry sucks, but light return is very good.

It will sparkle nicely
I''m not sure I would call the symmetry sucky...but rather not as good as some stones we see around here. I''m sure there are stones with much worse symmetry out there.

Rockingout

Rough_Rock
I would pass on this diamond. One of the pavilions is so fat or at a shallow angle that it is leaking light pretty bad. See the right side with the white areas in the ideal scope and the black areas in the top side of the diamond in the aset (obviously the diamond has been rotated counter clockwise from the idealscope to the aset picture). This leakage will only increase when the diamond is tilted. Plus it looks like it has 4 chevrons which will produce tiny tiny flashes of fire. I like my fire big and bold as one would see in a 2 chevron princess. See avatar

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/4/2007 10:53:52 AM
Author: Rockingout
I would pass on this diamond. One of the pavilions is so fat or at a shallow angle that it is leaking light pretty bad. See the right side with the white areas in the ideal scope and the black areas in the top side of the diamond in the aset (obviously the diamond has been rotated counter clockwise from the idealscope to the aset picture). This leakage will only increase when the diamond is tilted. Plus it looks like it has 4 chevrons which will produce tiny tiny flashes of fire. I like my fire big and bold as one would see in a 2 chevron princess. See avatar

Hi Rockingout.I’d like to comment as I think there is some (logical) misinterpretation.This is a diamond we brought in from a supplier.It’s not perfectly symmetrical but it does have great light return.The areas of white in the magnified IS are tiny; you won’t see areas that small in a 6mm diamond.They provide contrast, like the contrast effects seen in rounds.There are not pavilion issues; just asymmetry in the reflections which aren't visible to the naked eye. The same effects may be causing you to think it’s a 4-chevron princess when it’s actually a 3.These things aren’t easy to deduce without the diamond in-hand and we appreciate those who are bold enough to take a stab at interpretation.

On the whole symmetry is less a priority in the ‘real world,’ for fancies - even more than rounds.OTOH it tends to figure prominently on PS where we see 40X views, reflector images etc.We are exposed to incredibly symmetrical cuts from top sources here, but it doesn't have nearly as much weight in the naked-eye world since it’s not a requirement for beauty.

For the record, we don’t believe there’s any disadvantage to 2, 3, or 4-chevron pavilion faceting.The differences in many cases are extremely slight, and in all cases they’re a matter of personal taste.Some people even like 5 chevrons (and some people put catsup on their scrambled eggs).We respect that.
1.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/4/2007 10:53:52 AM
Author: Rockingout
Rockingout it is quite easy to see this stone has 3 chevrons and I would think that is about right for a 1 1/4ct stone.

The asymmetry is a mind problem, if it is a problem for the buyer. It should be seen though as a stone in the top 10% of optical performancefrom just this small amount of information.

I doubt that you can assume the stones leagake will become much worse with tilting - as always if a buyer wants to drill down to the very best of the best then the stone should probably cost a premium too - so I always try to be balanced in my advice. I am glad you ststed that "I would pass on this one" because many others would not. We have a duty of care to properly qualify our advice - and I too like Tomato Sauce on my eggs - not sure what Ketchup is though?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/4/2007 6:59:45 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

not sure what Ketchup is though?
Same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results