shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions for ER setting

jBright

Shiny_Rock
Hi my diamond lovers!!

Was just hoping for your opinions on a few things now that I can finally confirm that our order from JA for a 2.03 G colored RB diamond went through. They flagged it - I guess because a diamond isn’t an every day purchase. But I’m going to a local jeweler for my setting and I cannot wait!!

1. Plain petite yellow gold band with white gold or platinum claws and a hidden halo. Just a touch of sparkle. Will yellow gold make my G diamond appear yellow? I’ve read a lot of old posts and the opinions vary quite a bit. My bf tells me to just get platinum - and if there is ANY way that YG will make my diamond appear yellow, I’m more than open to it. But I feel like... YG makes it just a tad different and beautiful. See what I’m wanting, this is an oval but just pretend it’s a RB..

link here:

2. I’m between a 3.5 and size 4 finger size. The jeweler quite briefly stated that a 3.75 would probably be best. I don’t know much of how my finger swells Bc I only wear one ring and it’s on my right hand. Do you guys think a 3.75 would be good for me? Or is there a better way to figure this out?

3. Should i insure the loose diamond before bringing it to the jeweler for setting? I’ve read posts and people said not all insurance companies insure loose diamonds but Jeweler’s Mutual does.

Thanks so much for any advice! XOXO

Attachments

• 67FA02E8-2527-4466-8DB1-83F1D5A436BC.jpeg
    67FA02E8-2527-4466-8DB1-83F1D5A436BC.jpeg
    181.1 KB · Views: 53

Mamajemmy

Shiny_Rock
I can’t speak to a G so this might not be helpful at all— but I wanted a yellow gold with white prongs but ended up getting all white gold for my 2.4 ct I because I was concerned about the tint possibility. After having it for a bit I still wanted yellow gold and exchanged it for that. It’s so much more “me” and I think it makes my stone absolutely pop in a way the all white metal wouldn’t. Go with what you want and what your style is. A well cut stone will look great in either.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
I think the yellow gold with platinum or white gold prongs will look nice! When in doubt, I would size up since finger size can swell or increase. I would definitely insure the diamond before getting it set. Can't wait to see the finished ring!!

stonehunter20

Shiny_Rock
as far as ring size goes, i am sort of in the same boat here. i am between 4.5 and 5. 5 feels a bit loose and 4.5 feels a tiny bit tight in the morning when my finger is more swollen after a night's sleep. i am leaning towards getting a 4.75 to give myself some margin to be comfortable and it won't be too loose like a 5.

i believe you will need to insure your loose diamond before shipping it off to a jeweler. some jewelers won't even start the job until your insurance is in place.

Moonie

Shiny_Rock
If you're concerned about the tint, you could try the two-tone setting similar to the ring above - I also went that route :)

My jeweler also advised me to size up from a 4 to a 4.25 for swelling and just so it wouldn't "squeeze" my fingers too much. I didn't find that it made a huge difference for the way it sat on me. If you're already between those two sizes sizing up a bit I think is a good idea.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No. A yellow gold band will not make your diamond look yellow - *especially* if you're doing a white gold or platinum head. My ring is that combo, and I think the yellow gold makes it pop, and the platinum prongs simply disappear into the stone. So you see very little indication of the prongs/head, and then a nice, rich yellow band.

Exhibit A:

20181102_111703.jpg

H SI1.JPG

20190915_125340.jpg

20190915_125051.jpg

The three-stone has an F center, but I included my previous solitaire, which is an H. Still no tint from the band.

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
G color is near colorless and I agree if you go with yellow or rose gold band, do the basket in platinum. My original H diamond engagement ring was in 18kt white gold and it was colorless no warmth that I could see. My second engagement ring was an I and I could see warmth and it bothered me so I re-did my engagement ring and totally changed it for an F antique cut moval (in my avatar) with brushed matte 18kt yellow gold band and the top is all platinum. Everyone has their own preferences or sensitivities to color.

jBright

Shiny_Rock
I can’t speak to a G so this might not be helpful at all— but I wanted a yellow gold with white prongs but ended up getting all white gold for my 2.4 ct I because I was concerned about the tint possibility. After having it for a bit I still wanted yellow gold and exchanged it for that. It’s so much more “me” and I think it makes my stone absolutely pop in a way the all white metal wouldn’t. Go with what you want and what your style is. A well cut stone will look great in either.

thank you @Mamajemmy !!! I would love to see your ring if it’s readily available!

I think the yellow gold with platinum or white gold prongs will look nice! When in doubt, I would size up since finger size can swell or increase. I would definitely insure the diamond before getting it set. Can't wait to see the finished ring!!

@MRBXXXFVVS1 thank you!! And will most likely go for 3.75. Cant wait to share it with you guys when it’s done! Hopefully sooner than later!

as far as ring size goes, i am sort of in the same boat here. i am between 4.5 and 5. 5 feels a bit loose and 4.5 feels a tiny bit tight in the morning when my finger is more swollen after a night's sleep. i am leaning towards getting a 4.75 to give myself some margin to be comfortable and it won't be too loose like a 5.

i believe you will need to insure your loose diamond before shipping it off to a jeweler. some jewelers won't even start the job until your insurance is in place.

thank you @stonehunter20 def going for at least the 3.75. And I’ll be going to a local jeweler, so no shipping (thank goodness)! But will definitely get it insured for the setting!

If you're concerned about the tint, you could try the two-tone setting similar to the ring above - I also went that route :)

My jeweler also advised me to size up from a 4 to a 4.25 for swelling and just so it wouldn't "squeeze" my fingers too much. I didn't find that it made a huge difference for the way it sat on me. If you're already between those two sizes sizing up a bit I think is a good idea.

thank you @Moonie would love to see your ring if you have a pic!!! Yes, my fear is having sausage fingers if i Swell!

No. A yellow gold band will not make your diamond look yellow - *especially* if you're doing a white gold or platinum head. My ring is that combo, and I think the yellow gold makes it pop, and the platinum prongs simply disappear into the stone. So you see very little indication of the prongs/head, and then a nice, rich yellow band.

Exhibit A:

20181102_111703.jpg

H SI1.JPG

20190915_125340.jpg

20190915_125051.jpg

The three-stone has an F center, but I included my previous solitaire, which is an H. Still no tint from the band.

@mrs-b umm... excuse me miss. They are all gorgeous!!! Thank you for sharing and reaffirming my love for YG!

G color is near colorless and I agree if you go with yellow or rose gold band, do the basket in platinum. My original H diamond engagement ring was in 18kt white gold and it was colorless no warmth that I could see. My second engagement ring was an I and I could see warmth and it bothered me so I re-did my engagement ring and totally changed it for an F antique cut moval (in my avatar) with brushed matte 18kt yellow gold band and the top is all platinum. Everyone has their own preferences or sensitivities to color.

@Morenita21 thank you!! Your avatar is beautiful!!

thanks ladies!!! Definitely leaning towards the YG w either WG or platinum claws! And will 100% get it insured beforehand. Can never be too safe! This forum is the best!

jBright

Shiny_Rock
Here you go. If your heart says yellow gold go for it! You won’t regret it! 7E1BE134-2DC4-46CE-B3C0-DBC8F40F6701.jpeg

holy moly! That thing is amazing and gorgeous!!!! Thank you for sharing and inspiring future upgrades. LOL

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
I am the same ring size as you! I am 3.5 but have my ring done to be 4. It is a bit loose during winter but I like it that way. During summer months, it fits perfectly. If you live in a really warm temperature, I would go with 4. If not, 3.75 is fine but might be a bit on a tight side during hot months.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know this picture is huge but it is my avatar picture on steroids! The diamond is G color in platinum prongs with 18 kt. yellow gold shank. Can't see yellow in the diamond from the ring at all. If you love the yellow gold, go for it! 1593739598665.png

Moonie

Shiny_Rock
@jBright it's the ring that's my avatar! Sorry for the slightly blurry photo and lack of hand shots (ring is complete but waiting on proposal so more photos to come later). Mine is an M VS1 OEC so the color is much lower than yours. But I still chose the two tone route so the warm color would stand on its own and with a YG band which looks much better on my skin tone!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just saying about the size. I tend to size smaller because my finger expands and shrinks a lot within a day. And I don't live in a particularly warm climate, so I don't get too much swelling, just when I wake up in the morning and my finger has swelled during the night. With lollipop setting like that (I had one before too), the spinning bothered me a lot. Just saying that you should take into consideration how much your finger size changes during the day and your climate, and if you are bothered by spinning. If it spins a lot, you will be looking at the profile of your ring a lot more than the top view.

Mamajemmy

Shiny_Rock
I’m a size 5.25 and got a 5.5. I wish I would have gotten a 5.25. The spinning drives me nuts. My doesn’t change a lot and didn’t change at all during or after pregnancies. My ring before the upgrade had sizing beads and that helped with the spinning. I’ll probably do that again with this one.

jBright

Shiny_Rock
I am the same ring size as you! I am 3.5 but have my ring done to be 4. It is a bit loose during winter but I like it that way. During summer months, it fits perfectly. If you live in a really warm temperature, I would go with 4. If not, 3.75 is fine but might be a bit on a tight side during hot months.

@daisygrl thank you! I am in Southern California! I did notice this morning that my ring on my right hand was a bit tighter than during the day. Lol I’ve never noticed because I’ve never thought about it! The struggles. Hehe

I know this picture is huge but it is my avatar picture on steroids! The diamond is G color in platinum prongs with 18 kt. yellow gold shank. Can't see yellow in the diamond from the ring at all. If you love the yellow gold, go for it! 1593739598665.png

@MissGotRocks wow!!! I can’t even see your band w the huge rocks you have on there! Your set is gorgeous! Thank you for sharing!

@jBright it's the ring that's my avatar! Sorry for the slightly blurry photo and lack of hand shots (ring is complete but waiting on proposal so more photos to come later). Mine is an M VS1 OEC so the color is much lower than yours. But I still chose the two tone route so the warm color would stand on its own and with a YG band which looks much better on my skin tone!

@Moonie thanks for your reply!! I think I’m going for the two tone look also! And omg!! The anticipation you must be feeling!! Can’t wait for your reveal!! I don’t know how I’m going to feel when the setting is going to start production!!

Just saying about the size. I tend to size smaller because my finger expands and shrinks a lot within a day. And I don't live in a particularly warm climate, so I don't get too much swelling, just when I wake up in the morning and my finger has swelled during the night. With lollipop setting like that (I had one before too), the spinning bothered me a lot. Just saying that you should take into consideration how much your finger size changes during the day and your climate, and if you are bothered by spinning. If it spins a lot, you will be looking at the profile of your ring a lot more than the top view.

@LLJsmom thank you for your input!! I think the spinning would definitely bother me. Most likely will going to go with 3.75.

I’m a size 5.25 and got a 5.5. I wish I would have gotten a 5.25. The spinning drives me nuts. My doesn’t change a lot and didn’t change at all during or after pregnancies. My ring before the upgrade had sizing beads and that helped with the spinning. I’ll probably do that again with this one.

@Mamajemmy thank you! Oh that’s so good to know that your ring size didn’t change through pregnancy. I hope to be just as lucky! Lol

All of you ladies are truly so helpful and I appreciate you guys taking your time out of your day to respond!

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
@daisygrl thank you! I am in Southern California! I did notice this morning that my ring on my right hand was a bit tighter than during the day. Lol I’ve never noticed because I’ve never thought about it! The struggles. Hehe

@MissGotRocks wow!!! I can’t even see your band w the huge rocks you have on there! Your set is gorgeous! Thank you for sharing!

@Moonie thanks for your reply!! I think I’m going for the two tone look also! And omg!! The anticipation you must be feeling!! Can’t wait for your reveal!! I don’t know how I’m going to feel when the setting is going to start production!!

@LLJsmom thank you for your input!! I think the spinning would definitely bother me. Most likely will going to go with 3.75.

@Mamajemmy thank you! Oh that’s so good to know that your ring size didn’t change through pregnancy. I hope to be just as lucky! Lol

All of you ladies are truly so helpful and I appreciate you guys taking your time out of your day to respond!

OP, I am in SoCA as well so I know the struggle... I am a runner and when I run, my ring is almost tight and on a regular day it spins around. Lol.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
go with the yellow gold. Cos if you like YG, you get it. Check as many pics out as you can to be sure. Get your local jeweler to show the diffenrt gold bands next to your stone.

as for ring size...... lots to consider.
1) the width band you are making it on
2) what you are pairing it with.

1) from the inspo pics, it’s a thin band and they are more forgiving with size increases of finger than thicker ones.
2) what would your wedding band be? Eternity/ plain band of similar width to ER? Are you planning to stack the ER? If one simsilsr size width band then I think it would be fine. If however, you are thinking of stacking or a thicker band, then you may need to consider a slightly bigger ring size. The thicker and more bands that you have the tighter the rings will feel, even if they are the same size. Imagine the ring is going on finger and the skin is pushed/ squeezed. The “excess” skin gotta go somewhere. So when putting more bands on, the excess skin gets more bunched up. Hence feeling tighter, and the need for getting a slightly bigger size.

3) swelling: You guys are in northern hemisphere summer now and it’s the time when size of rings are best measured, cos of swelling considerations. Everyone Swells differently- “time of the month” certain foods make you more bloated for a few days, pregnancy, Pre wedding and post wedding sizing and good old age arthritis. I had my 5mm wide rings made 7yrs a go. Solitaire and full eternity...I wasn’t pregnant but my weight flutscted. When I was heavy the rings didn’t fit well. I lost some weight and most probably my fittest in the last 12 mo. My rings still didn’t fit.... I had to get them resized up. $ exercise.

4) if sized loose now, can have sizing needs. My LHL was sized to fit over my dislocated knuckle. Sadly it spun. It was ok initially. But the spin got to me.... I got sizing beads and it worked a treat. I know I can remove the sizing beads as age and arthritis becomes a problem.

5) consider what bands you are making to fit next to ER and designs. a hidden halo and plain bands work. If getting an eternity/ the height of it needs to be considered to make sure it dorst hit the hidden halo. if eternity band need to consider a channel setting b sharEd Prong... or those diamonds& prongs could Sea- saw against each other and wear the bands quickly.

sorry for the long post..

jBright

Shiny_Rock
go with the yellow gold. Cos if you like YG, you get it. Check as many pics out as you can to be sure. Get your local jeweler to show the diffenrt gold bands next to your stone.

as for ring size...... lots to consider.
1) the width band you are making it on
2) what you are pairing it with.

1) from the inspo pics, it’s a thin band and they are more forgiving with size increases of finger than thicker ones.
2) what would your wedding band be? Eternity/ plain band of similar width to ER? Are you planning to stack the ER? If one simsilsr size width band then I think it would be fine. If however, you are thinking of stacking or a thicker band, then you may need to consider a slightly bigger ring size. The thicker and more bands that you have the tighter the rings will feel, even if they are the same size. Imagine the ring is going on finger and the skin is pushed/ squeezed. The “excess” skin gotta go somewhere. So when putting more bands on, the excess skin gets more bunched up. Hence feeling tighter, and the need for getting a slightly bigger size.

3) swelling: You guys are in northern hemisphere summer now and it’s the time when size of rings are best measured, cos of swelling considerations. Everyone Swells differently- “time of the month” certain foods make you more bloated for a few days, pregnancy, Pre wedding and post wedding sizing and good old age arthritis. I had my 5mm wide rings made 7yrs a go. Solitaire and full eternity...I wasn’t pregnant but my weight flutscted. When I was heavy the rings didn’t fit well. I lost some weight and most probably my fittest in the last 12 mo. My rings still didn’t fit.... I had to get them resized up. $ exercise.

4) if sized loose now, can have sizing needs. My LHL was sized to fit over my dislocated knuckle. Sadly it spun. It was ok initially. But the spin got to me.... I got sizing beads and it worked a treat. I know I can remove the sizing beads as age and arthritis becomes a problem.

5) consider what bands you are making to fit next to ER and designs. a hidden halo and plain bands work. If getting an eternity/ the height of it needs to be considered to make sure it dorst hit the hidden halo. if eternity band need to consider a channel setting b sharEd Prong... or those diamonds& prongs could Sea- saw against each other and wear the bands quickly.

sorry for the long post..

thank you @gregchang35 !! I appreciate you taking out time in your day to reply!

I am planning on not stacking (for now). And to get around the same mm band in eternity style. So both thin bands!

please see link for inspo for both setting and band but both in gold:

I do think I’ll hate it if it spins! *fingers cross* that the 3.75 will be fine!

I love the setting and the style you’ve chosen! Only thing I’d say to add is that if you are getting a pave band to stack with your ering that the head/basket of your ering sits high enough that it doesn’t rub against the diamonds of your band - since that might impact the integrity of the ering! I loooove the two tone idea and I think a WG basket + prongs with a YG band ought to take care of any concerns of the stone showing a yellow tint. Also re: sizing - I’m one of those people who’s finger swells and shrinks alarmingly and my finger size can change a full size or more! So if you’re a 3.5 I would consider it safer to get a 4 - it shouldn’t be loose enough to fly off at that size, but it might spin or list to one side, most of my rings do. It will also depend on how often you plan to take your ring off! If you plan to sleep and shower in it the closer fit can still work since if your finger swells up a bit one day it’ll eventually shrink back down. But if you want to take it off multiple times a day a slightly looser band might be more comfortable/less of a struggle?

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
thank you @gregchang35 !! I appreciate you taking out time in your day to reply!

I am planning on not stacking (for now). And to get around the same mm band in eternity style. So both thin bands!

please see link for inspo for both setting and band but both in gold:

I do think I’ll hate it if it spins! *fingers cross* that the 3.75 will be fine!

The bands look beautiful. As others have mentioned, make sure when you make the pave eternity band, the height is not to high so that it rubs against the basket with the hidden halo...

cant wait to See the ring you make!!!

jBright

Shiny_Rock
I love the setting and the style you’ve chosen! Only thing I’d say to add is that if you are getting a pave band to stack with your ering that the head/basket of your ering sits high enough that it doesn’t rub against the diamonds of your band - since that might impact the integrity of the ering! I loooove the two tone idea and I think a WG basket + prongs with a YG band ought to take care of any concerns of the stone showing a yellow tint. Also re: sizing - I’m one of those people who’s finger swells and shrinks alarmingly and my finger size can change a full size or more! So if you’re a 3.5 I would consider it safer to get a 4 - it shouldn’t be loose enough to fly off at that size, but it might spin or list to one side, most of my rings do. It will also depend on how often you plan to take your ring off! If you plan to sleep and shower in it the closer fit can still work since if your finger swells up a bit one day it’ll eventually shrink back down. But if you want to take it off multiple times a day a slightly looser band might be more comfortable/less of a struggle?

The bands look beautiful. As others have mentioned, make sure when you make the pave eternity band, the height is not to high so that it rubs against the basket with the hidden halo...

cant wait to See the ring you make!!!

thank you @AllAboardTheBlingTrain @gregchang35 :)!!I will be sure to let the jeweler know that I do not want the rings to rub!! We are still waiting on the delivery of the diamond, will get it insured and to the jeweler it will go! So very excited and will definitely share once done :)!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results