shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions: Cartier VS Tiffany VS self-selection

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pepsi_corp

Rough_Rock
Hi all,
I have read all the countless debates about not necessarily getting better quality in a ''branded'' name such as Cartier or Tiffany, and do not wish to rehash those arguments.

Plain and simple, from the perspective of a girl on a receiving end (or for other guys who want to chime in), which would you rather ''receive''?? The questions for guys would be- would you fork out the extra couple G''s??
Here are some hypothetical specs:

Tiffany Classic setting (six prong)
1.3 carat G VS2 (exc/exc/exc- GIA) - $15000
HCA < 2.0

Vs

Carter 1895 solitaire (NOT the pave)
1.3 carat G VS2 (exc/exc/exc- GIA) - $15000
HCA < 2.0

Vs

Self-selection (online vendors) any setting (solitaire OR multistone)
1.36 carat F VS2 (ideal/ideal/idea- AGS0) - $13000
HCA < 2.0

Personal opinions greatly appreciated. Don''t be too obvious with the ''depends on the girl'' and ''depends whether you think the extra 2K is worth it'' responses.

Much appreciated all...have fun!
9.gif

JSM

Brilliant_Rock
Well, the obvious answer you already said you didn''t want to hear (depends on the girl).

THIS girl would want the biggest rock. Or, if the diamond size was not an issue, or the same with all options as you point out here, I LOVE the Cartier 1895 setting.

But of course, you will get a whole slew of answers here! Some love Tiffany, some would prefer the designer setting, some don''t care at all. Sorry to reiterate what you already know!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Sure, I''ll have fun with it.

Yeah, spend the extra $. Get the Cartier ring. It''s the most prestigious in the group, being the sister company of Van Cleef and Arpels, both legendary jewelers, in fact, now owned by the same conglomerate.

VCA and Cartier jewelry is quality stuff, and, honestly, I think quibbling about that fact would be rather silly.

There.

I hope I did OK.

Best luck with whatever you decide!
35.gif

asforhim

Rough_Rock
Skip both and go to HW... you''ll be glad you did.

If you are already in the high end market it makes sense to visit both HW and Graff, for that matter.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally, I''d pick non-branded and save the $2K (or more, that sounds like a small difference for name brand).

If I wanted a branded stone I''d go Cartier or Harry Winston. Tiffany doesn''t have prestige either of those do.

zeiss

Rough_Rock
I would definitely go for the Cartier, any time, any day, if it''s priced the same as a Tiffany. I would also head to HW and see if they can beat Cartier''s prices, you might be pleasantly surprised! :)

Zeiss

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t really think that is a fair comparison. The third option still needs to be $15,000 and a larger stone.

Like this 1.5 H VS2 H&A stone from GOG:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4882/

So yes, I''d choose the non-branded 1.5 ct ideal cut stone in a platinum solitaire over a 1.3 from Cartier or Tiffany. But would I choose a non-branded 1.36 over a 1.3 Cartier or Tiffany??? Uh, no thanks!!!

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I think either the Cartier or Tiffany, if price isn''t an object. I think most people don''t go with those brands because of the mark-up, but 2K is really not that much more money in that range. If my husband could have paid only 2K more to get me a Tiffany ring, I bet he would have gone that route.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Cartier.

1) Love that setting.
2) Size difference isn''t enough to sway me to self-selection in this case.
3) I''m fine with a G color - if it had been an I VS2 Cartier v. an F self-selection, that would''ve been different.

2.gif

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 5:20:21 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
I don't really think that is a fair comparison. The third option still needs to be $15,000 and a larger stone.

So yes, I'd choose the non-branded 1.5 ct ideal cut stone in a platinum solitaire over a 1.3 from Cartier or Tiffany. But would I choose a non-branded 1.36 over a 1.3 Cartier or Tiffany??? Uh, no thanks!!!
I'm with diamondseeker on this one. The most fair comparison is what you can get for the same budget. GOG, HPD or Whiteflash would all have good options.

How about this diamond from Whiteflash with their 6 prong setting. (Have them check for eye clean)

You'd have a bigger stone, similar setting and are about halfway between the price of your other choices.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Cartier (hands down over Tiffany and I love that setting) OR a bigger stone for the same $15K budget with the "self-selection" option.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i''ll take a well cut unbranded stone all day long.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/2/2009 6:41:32 PM
Author: mscushion
Cartier (hands down over Tiffany and I love that setting) OR a bigger stone for the same $15 K budget with the ''self-selection'' option.

I agree with this.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 7:46:48 PM
Author: kindred

Cartier (hands down over Tiffany and I love that setting) OR a bigger stone for the same $15 K budget with the ''self-selection'' option.

I agree with this.
Me too. I''d prefer the self selection at $15K.

sazza

Rough_Rock
I would go with self selection over Tiffany and Cartier. Especially with Good Old Gold you know exactly what you''re getting and you know when you''re picking a great performer. Tiffany and Cartier are nice but I have a friend with a Tiffany ring and hers is nowhere near as fiery as another friend whose fiance went the self-selection route.

You could always get the larger stone, or get the 1.3c and use the extra 2c for some pretty earrings
31.gif

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cartier (hands down over Tiffany and I love that setting) OR a bigger stone for the same $15K budget with the ''self-selection'' option.
DITTO!

SYC

Shiny_Rock
My opinion -- go the custom route. Tiffany and Cartier solitaires are beautiful, but I personally not a huge fan of solitaires, and would pick a customized ring any day.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't really think that is a fair comparison. The third option still needs to be $15,000 and a larger stone.

So yes, I'd choose the non-branded 1.5 ct ideal cut stone in a platinum solitaire over a 1.3 from Cartier or Tiffany. But would I choose a non-branded 1.36 over a 1.3 Cartier or Tiffany??? Uh, no thanks!!!
Ditto.

OR Spend the 2K difference on a self selected pendant. That gets my vote too.

BUT, of the choices offered: Cartier. I have always been impressed with the level of service at Cartier and just prefer them as a company.

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
1.5ct vs 1.3ct won''t count for much in terms of size difference. I dun know her but is there a possibility she might call you stupid if you''d gone the self-selection route when she knew she could be wearing a prestigious brand? Play it safe, go with Cartier on this one. Bragging rights go a long way...

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 10:11:11 PM
Author: Gypsy

I don''t really think that is a fair comparison. The third option still needs to be $15,000 and a larger stone.

So yes, I''d choose the non-branded 1.5 ct ideal cut stone in a platinum solitaire over a 1.3 from Cartier or Tiffany. But would I choose a non-branded 1.36 over a 1.3 Cartier or Tiffany??? Uh, no thanks!!!
Ditto.

OR Spend the 2K difference on a self selected pendant. That gets my vote too.

BUT, of the choices offered: Cartier. I have always been impressed with the level of service at Cartier and just prefer them as a company.

Ditto :)

Out of Cartier or Tiffany''s I would pick Cartier.

Out of the choice above I would pick self selection and pop that diamond in a Leon classic solitaire ;-).

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 12:35:11 AM
Author: Deelight

Out of the choice above I would pick self selection and pop that diamond in a Leon classic solitaire ;-).
If I had to choose between the two brands then I''d go Cartier. And, if I had no idea about diamonds and settings and it was all about the brand then I''d go the brand route as I woldn''t know any difference and it would be the status symbol.

However, knowing what I know, if I had to choose.........its be a GOG in a Leon setting, no contest!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would choose Cartier or Harry Winston if that was an option!

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
In your case i would most def pick the Cartier. The price and size difference isn''t huge in the ones you listed so I would go for the red leather box as I am a sucker for it. I really really wanted to a Cartier e-ring, but in our case I wanted a really really big diamond and when we self selected the price was the same for .5 carats more so I went with that in a Cartier inspired setting, but again, the difference in the rings you listed seems so slight that go for the name!! Plus their service is great and I take my other Cartier pieces there all the time for polishing and they are so nice.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go with the biggest rock all other things being the same...I''m pretty pratical and a name brand
doesnt really rate too much with me (or where I live). Nice choices though!

nadzzz

Rough_Rock
Go with the Cartier - you''ll love it! I have a 1.51ct vvs1 (G) from Cartier in the 1895 setting and even after so many years, every time I look at it, it just makes me smile! Its simply the most beautiful thing in the world. Enjoy your ring dear.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 5:05:36 PM
Author: asforhim
Skip both and go to HW... you'll be glad you did.

If you are already in the high end market it makes sense to visit both HW and Graff, for that matter.
Would you expect to find something at the 13-15K price point at HW?

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 4:27:38 AM
Author: sba771
In your case i would most def pick the Cartier. The price and size difference isn't huge in the ones you listed so I would go for the red leather box as I am a sucker for it. I really really wanted to a Cartier e-ring, but in our case I wanted a really really big diamond and when we self selected the price was the same for .5 carats more so I went with that in a Cartier inspired setting, but again, the difference in the rings you listed seems so slight that go for the name!! Plus their service is great and I take my other Cartier pieces there all the time for polishing and they are so nice.
You have Cartier pieces? Do tell!
35.gif

If you want to reply, please start a thread in the jewelry pieces forum! I don't want to hijack this thread. I want to hear about your Cartier pieces but I think if I hijack a thread, that's bad form.
38.gif

carebearz

Rough_Rock
I don''t know much about self-select diamonds but between Tiffany & Cartier, I would go for Tiffany as I like the 6 prongs. I like round looking diamonds as opposed to squarish-looking ones (Cartier''s 4 prongs).

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
Imdanny- I will start a thread tomorrow, have to take pictures tonight and resize them at work. Sorry for the mini threadjack

People have mentioned Harry Winston- I also have to agree with looking into this option as well this because, I believe, they will negotiate on their prices and with this economy you may end up with something even bigger than you thought and a fun box! (sorry, I am clearly a sucker for marketing
1.gif
)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results